Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Jarrold Stand question

Hey all, just a quickie... our Jarrold stand... has that got extensions on it... can it be double tiered? Curious as i noticed the other day that its not particularily well supported at the front so cannot imagine an extension possible. If that''s the case, why did we spend hardcore money on a non-expandable single tier stand? 

I don''t think it is possible to build on top of the Jarrold Stand.  If, and when, the clubs starts to think about increasing capacity it will probably mean demolishing and rebuilding the City Stand.

Jeez....are you guys really Canary fans or have you had your heads in the sand fort he last few years.

Of course it can be built on...........and so can the City Stand although that would require building on the roa alongside the ground so probably unlikely to get away with that...

Wake up!!!!

I''m pretty certain it was originally built with two tiers in mind and that another tier holding up to 4000 can be added. But it would unbalance the ground so I would expect the rather weedy City stand to be done first, although that would impact Carrow Road itself.

the club is able to build extensions on both stands (city stand and the jarrold) it made an announcement regarding this back just after the jarrold was built i remember... but the problem with the city stand i also remember is that carrow road is owned by the council and would require them purchasing the land the extend the stand onto the road...

the jarrold stand can have a second tier and no the city stand wont be demolished and rebuilt it was build to have a 2nd tier built on top this means the city stand will come out onto the road and the road will be closed off to traffic.

i think neil doncaster said when the stand was being built that both sides can be done, but the city stand would come first bringing are capacity upto 30,000, but that the whole roof and sides of the jarrold would need to be done b4 it could be redone.

When built they said that the Jarold was designed and build so that it could have a 2nd tier, the foundations are already there, you would need to raise the roof and probbably put in a few more pillars.The City stand is also ready for expansion and will be the ''first'' one done I think because the planning permission only lasts so long and the permission for that stand runs out first. I think if I read it correctly the extension would cause the Carrow road to be closed.

From what I understand, during the survey of the land prior to construction of the Jarrold Stand, I believe the ground was unsuitable for the construction of a stand capable of expansion by way of another tier on top. I believe this is why the club opted to construct a large 8,000 seater stand rather than the smaller 5,000 and 6,000 proposals which were made.

I also understand that the City Stand (and both corner stands) are capable of supporing a second tier on top without the need for destruction of the current stands (apart from the roof, of course).

I recall when the Jarrold Stand was built we were told it could be extended. There is certainly enough room behind it to build a sizable upper tier.Having said that, we were told when the City Stand was built that its design supported a 2nd tier. Yet two decades later...

The Jarrold stand was designed to take another tier if necessary.  The club already have permission to build on top of the City stand if need be.  Carrow road is now deemed unecessary and the Council would be glad to get it off from their repairs list the same way that Anglia TV built on top of Crown road many years ago.

i`ll make a comedy prediction, that (knowing our luck as norwich fans) that the only thing to be double-tied in the forsable future will be the Corner hotel!

In the Prem  I''m pretty sure Carrow Rd could attract 30 - 35 thousand, even in the championship gates of up to 30 thousand could be achieved , which is even more the reason I''m disappointed the club would build a cr@p hotel in one corner, which would have been the next and natural step for capacity expansion.If we ever make it back to the Prem and want to expand we will have to close the Main stand or Jarrold stand completely for a season  just to build a second tier, ok  a corner infill  might not have made a huge difference capacity  wise at the moment  but a corner infill double tiered with the Jarrold stand  could have made a big difference.Agreeing to the hotel just to make an initial, lousy 1 million [the cost of Etuhu and Hughes] has cost a potential 4 thousand seats for ever!

the city stand can be built on taking us upto 30 000 then an additional 4000on top of jarrold would increase us to 34 000

out of curiosity i knwo th jarrold holds 8 000 atm but what do the other stands hold

Barclay Stand: 6,125
City Stand: 4,243
Norwich and Peterborough Stand: 5,799
Jarrold Stand: 8,000 (Visitors: 3,000)
Norwich Union Community Stand: 1,512
Other areas: 355
TOTAL: 26,034

• 20,250 season ticket holders.

• 1000 seats for complimentary tickets, community schemes, sponsor entitlements and disabled supporter accommodation plus between 280 and 560 unusable sterile seats between home and away supporters.

• 40 Press area seats.

• 2450 Away supporter seats.

• 1640 seats for sale under the ticket priority stage.

[quote user="y''army"]

Jeez....are you guys really Canary fans or have you had your heads in the sand fort he last few years.

Of course it can be built on...........and so can the City Stand although that would require building on the roa alongside the ground so probably unlikely to get away with that...

Wake up!!!!

The stand is a similar height to both the Barclay and the River End - How would the club get a second tier on top?

Planning permission is only valid for five years from receipt of approval. Should the city stand be extended, I believe Carrow Road would remain, with the road continuing beneath the stand (like at Old Trafford).