Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Is Huckerby NCFC's greatest?

[quote user="yella belly"]

not quite don''t forget IWAN[:D]

[/quote]

Iwan Roberts was decent player for us but would get nowhere a "greats" list for me.  Forgive me if I am wrong but I am assuming you are young(ish) which would explain your choice.

I''m sorry, I liked Iwan and I know many loved him as a player, he scored goals and worked hard for us BUT I just can''t place him up there with the greats.  What lets Iwan down was the constant "I would love to finish my career in Wales" comments he put out to the press everytime his contract came close to renewal.  Whether or not it was veiled threat to leave on a bosman or just to try and lever some more money from the club lets him down in my eyes.  I just can''t envisage Keelan etc doing the same.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

No. Too many weaknesses. Never really suceeded on a sustained basis at Prem/1st division level. We''ve had scores of players over our 22 Prem/1st division seasons who were consistently good at that elevated level.

People got excited when Bobby Brennan got the ball, when Bill Punton got the ball, when Ruel Fox got the ball, when Dale Gordon got the ball.............not to forget when that jet-heeled Canadian Errol Crossan got the ball and gave some opposing full backs 10 yards start! That buzz of excitement is par for the course with top wingers. 

IMHO people are confusing great with exciting.

OTBC

[/quote]

I have to agree with SHEDED.

I have seen all the players you mentioned BBB but I can''t put any of them in the same class as Huckerby. Dale Gordon and Foxy were probably the closest because they could both beat a man and had pace and goal scoring ability. Bobby Brennen was a great ball player and passer but had very little pace while Punton and Crossan were just "kick it past the fullback and run like hell merchants". To put either of them in the same class as Huckerby is seeing the past through rose coloured glasses.

When I think back to the ten greatest goals I''ve seen at Carrow Rd I reckon Huckerby has scored nearly half of them. That says it all for me.

We''ve been lucky to have him and we should enjoy it while it lasts. Players like Darren Huckerby don''t come along many times in a lifetime.

Football is played to a much higher standard these days, players are required to be mega fit. Many of the players from the past were indeed great in thier day but most of them would struggle with the pace of the modern game as well as the technical ability now required.

I think in real terms Huckerby is undoubtedly the greatest player to play for the club, but Iwan will always be a hero as well.

SHTTA - I have to disagree with what you say as it ignores the fact that these guys had skill and could play football, if they were starting their careers now they would have all the benefits of better diet, physiotherapy and fitness training etc afforded the modern player.

It''s so difficult to compare sportsmen from different generations. SHTTA makes very good points as does SOB. Truth is we don''t know how players from the past would perform today. Football has changed so much in the last 30 years. I have a video of our 1972 side, Graham Paddon scores a marvelous goal against Blackpool. But when he receives the ball 25 yards from goal he is in splendid isolation, there is hardly another player in shot as he scores what is still a wonderful goal. Today he would be closed down so quickly that you have to wonder if he could have scored goals like he did in the seventies.

Roger Bannister ran the first 4m mile in the 50''s but now that wouldn''t qualify him for anything. But could he have run faster in todays conditions with greater fitness and better equipment? Would golfers from the past be as good as Tiger Woods if they could attain the same fitness and have access to the same equipment?

In truth I think it''s unfair to try to devalue past achievements on the basis that sportsmen are stronger and fitter now and playing surfaces and equipment much better. Just like its unfair to devalue the best of the present generation on the basis that they didn''t have to contend with the conditions past players did.

You can only be the best in your own time and Darren Huckerby certainly is that for Norwich City right now.

I see some people''s posts in this thread have made it into the EDP today.

Well Done

[quote user="cityangel"]

Well Done

[/quote]

Who made it into print then?  Do they get paid????  (Waits to be shot by web team)

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="cityangel"]

Well Done

[/quote]

Who made it into print then?  Do they get paid????  (Waits to be shot by web team)

[/quote]Chris Lakey will be round with the money in the morning!

[quote user="Web Team - Vince"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="cityangel"]

Well Done

[/quote]

[/quote]

Chris Lakey will be round with the money in the morning!
[/quote]

Does he have their addresses?   Seriously though is this article online or just in print?

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]SHTTA - I have to disagree with what you say as it ignores the fact that these guys had skill and could play football, if they were starting their careers now they would have all the benefits of better diet, physiotherapy and fitness training etc afforded the modern player.[/quote]

Fair point i think this is undoubtedly true, although as time travel is imposible there''s no way of ever knowing so i think we can only really judge players in thier own era as nutty nigel pointed out.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Well Done

[/quote]

how cool is that, i ll be gettin my auntie to cut it out and send it to me, as we have the WESTERN daily press over this way.

I think one of the key factors in being a Norwich great is love of the club.  People have mentioned Martin Peters - yes he was part of the 66 team, yes he was a great player, but he holds no love for our club.

I met him a few years back at a "Boys of ''66" sporting lunch - as we proceeded along the line, shaking hands with the team, I felt compelled to mention to Peters that I was a Norwich fan etc, expecting a warm response.  Couldn''t believe it when  he basically said never mind, and dismissed Norwich as a small town club.

Contrast this with Hux who loves the club.

Overall, I would have Hux as the greatest, although Kevin Reeves will come a very close second.

[quote user="Web Team - Vince"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="cityangel"]

Well Done

[/quote]

[/quote]

Chris Lakey will be round with the money in the morning!
[/quote]

He wasn''t at all what I expected when he brought me my 30 quid.

Thoroughly pleasant young man!

I''m definitely going to contribute to hos Q&A next time we are going through a bad patch and want the board/manager sacked.

[quote user="Splendid Rush"]

Gordon!

Fleck!

Bowen!

Three of my greats there...

[/quote]Can''t say fairer than that can you...Yes Hucks is a good player but he''s not really had the chance to shine on the main stage like some of the others mentioned in the thread...It''s really difficult question - do you look for the most skilful player or the player who''s been most loyal or the player who''s captured the hearts of the fans the most?   For me, overall the player that I consider the greatest would have to have a smattering of all those qualities - and it would probably be someone like Kevin Keelan, Bryan Gunn or Mark Bowen...

Westcountrycanary,

Do you live in Parkend in the Forest of Dean? Sorry if this sounds like a strange (and non football related) question but I am currently researching the history of the mining industry in the forest so am just curious.

macdougall''s perm wrote:

...I am currently researching the history of the mining industry in the forest so am just curious.

And we''re all very much looking forward to reading that report, MacDP... [;)]I know this thread has pretty much stopped now, but I would have to go along with Hucks as certainly being the most exciting player I''ve seen in my time as a Norwich supporter, bearing in mind I didn''t go to any games during Gossy''s and latterly Beller''s days so can only go on video evidence and telly from the time...There aren''t any other players I''ve seen playing for Norwich who have made a defence so completely sh*t scared to go anywhere near him... I''m thinking of occasions such as the Cardiff game before his loan ended, at home to Wigan later that season and now this season against Brum and Luton... I won''t go too much into the fact that he was playing up front each of those times mentioned, but it''s nice to have a player who can excite you by being truly swashbuckling in his approach to attacking...I get the feeling that Worthy had tried to batter that out of him during his reign though, especially when he said "Darren will have to cut out all that Roy of the Rovers stuff" after single-handedly tearing Derby apart last season at home.Luckily it seems now to be coming back to the fore, and long may it continue... he was saying the other week that he was getting on a bit, but recent evidence suggests otherwise...The greatest player in our history? I can''t say for sure...The most exciting player of the last 10 years? Almost certainly...

Hi macdougall''s perm,  No i dont live in parkend anymore, But i do live in Bream which is a village only about 1.5 miles away. I have lived in the Forest of Dean all my life.

Anyway the Forest of Dean has  a great deal of Mining history and there are even a few Freeminers working there pitts now! Although I don''t think that there is much money in the coal and I think they just run them for local tourism.

Still to this day there is an old commoners Law stating that if you are born within a hundrenth (I think about 15 miles) of St Briavels (Another local village in the Forest) then you are entitled to open your own collery. I was born in Gloucester Royal (26 miles away) so its no mining for me!!

any other things that you think i could help with just ask, OTBC

And you are right, you can''t sink a coal pit but, as a resident, you do have the right to release hogs into the forest to feed during ''pannage'' season, and don''t let them tell you otherwise, lol. [:D] 

[quote user="sheded"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

No. Too many weaknesses. Never really suceeded on a sustained basis at Prem/1st division level. We''ve had scores of players over our 22 Prem/1st division seasons who were consistently good at that elevated level.

People got excited when Bobby Brennan got the ball, when Bill Punton got the ball, when Ruel Fox got the ball, when Dale Gordon got the ball.............not to forget when that jet-heeled Canadian Errol Crossan got the ball and gave some opposing full backs 10 yards start! That buzz of excitement is par for the course with top wingers. 

IMHO people are confusing great with exciting.

OTBC

[/quote]

No Bly .... its you that is confused !    fans actually go to matches  to be entertained  !!   it  IS  , and always has been , an entertainment  industry  ,  or do you go  to matches to check out each players ability to head ,  to " track back " , to tackle ,and all the rest of the bulls***   ?  how boring is  THAT ?    maybe you`ve forgotten that footballs a simple game   ? ball - goal  , get ball into goal  , HOW its done   can be boring ... or exciting   ,  99% of fans  want the goals to be got  in an exciting way  ,  and Hucks does this in spades !  

As for the perpetual drone that he never " succeeded "  in the prem  , how many more times eh ?   he SUCCEEDED in getting THREE  ragbag teams  into the prem  !   wtf more do you expect ?   a guy who`s scored more than a HUNDRED goals  in his career   , DESPITE  being saddled with idiot managers  ,   DESPITE   being forced to play alongside  an increasing   number of bone idle dropouts,  that are not fit to be in a pub team  ,   Hucks has soldiered on  regardless   , you  should get a reality check  Bly ......  it might stick in your throat ,  but the truth is ,that without him  , we would , almost certainly  , be in league 2   !   players like him do NOT grow on tree`s   ,  just appreciate what you`ve got  while you`ve got him , cos you sure as hell will miss him when  he`s not here any longer !! 

[/quote]

He succeeded in getting promoted twice Sheded.. with us and Man city.. that doesnt say he succeeded in the prem.. he was also relegated with Coventry and Norwich...

Why are these managers idiots? because they sold hucks? George Graham, won leagues and cups with arsenal and sold hucks from Leeds, Kevin Keegan - agreed. an idiot! Gordon Strachan, his club were relegated.. he had to sell Hartson, Huckerby, Bellamy, Dublin and Shaw to keep the club in existence.. his hand was forced.

As for some of his team mates being unfit for pub teams. Craig Bellamy, Alan Smith, Eyal Berkovic, Dion Dublin.. look at what they have acheived and won in their careers compared to Hucks.

we wouldnt be in league 2 without Hucks.. we aren''t Nottingham forest, Leeds, or even Sheffield Wednesday.

and this is in no way suggesting he is a poor player. he is a city great and a legend.. he isnt held in the esteem that u seem to believe he is though.. thats all i think. A good player in a club like Norwich (where he has scored most of his goals) but maybe nto the greatest at other clubs.. he couldnt get a game at newcastle ahead of Shearer, Asprilla, Ginola, Lee and Andy Cole remember

jas :)

He succeeded in getting promoted twice Sheded.. with us and Man city.. that doesnt say he succeeded in the prem.. he was also relegated with Coventry and Norwich...

Hucks played for Cov 96-99   he saved Cov from relegation   and was NOT  part of the  Cov team when they  were relegated !  because eejit strachan sold  him  to Leed s for £3.4M  in  .99 , and then   managed to see Cov relegated  .... that means Hucks played in the " prem "  for THREE years   , and successfully too !

As for some of his team mates being unfit for pub teams. Craig Bellamy, Alan Smith, Eyal Berkovic, Dion Dublin.. look at what they have acheived and won in their careers compared to Hucks.

Since WHEN  has Bellamy , Smith , Berkovic , been Hucks team mates ?   Dion was a partner to Hucks at Cov   , and I don`t think its any coincidence  that, since  he came here ,  Hucks has come off the wing , and started scoring again !!!   

we wouldnt be in league 2 without Hucks.. we aren''t Nottingham forest, Leeds, or even Sheffield Wednesday.

Look up ALL the match reports  in the last two seasons , deduct  all the assists and goals  made by  Hucks , then come back and tell me  which  league we might be in by now  !

and this is in no way suggesting he is a poor player. he is a city great and a legend.. he isnt held in the esteem that u seem to believe he is though.. thats all i think. A good player in a club like Norwich (where he has scored most of his goals) but maybe nto the greatest at other clubs.. he couldnt get a game at newcastle ahead of Shearer, Asprilla, Ginola, Lee and Andy Cole remember

jas

Hucks actually scored ( for a single club )  most of his goals in the prem !    what I`ve always said   about hucks career,  is that he`s been really unlucky  with his past managers !  his moves to Newcastle , Leeds , Mancity   coincided with the purchase of " big name "  high priced   players , who  were picked ahead of him    , often these   players failed to achieve  the performance  expected from the high price they cost , but Hucks STILL was not given a decent chance   to show his talent , in particular under keegan !     a true bleedin eejit !!

In a nutshell ,  IF  just ONE  manager had had the nous  to recognise  what Hucks could  achieve ,  and play him to his strengths   ,  who knows but that he could have been an England player  ...... THATS  ........ why I call his previous managers   IDIOTS !  

Look  very closely at the performances  of the England  team , in the world cup , and afterward , and tell me , honestly , that Hucks  wouldn`t have made any difference  !  

there we do agree Sheded.. it made me bloody annoyed to see nugent coming on for England the other night...knowing full well (as i know u will agree) that Hucks could of done a job for england at the world cup.. and possibly before that too... Nugents a young bloke scoring a few goals for Peston.. he could end up the next John Stead though couldnt he? Huckerby has been Huckerby all through his career.. once he got to 27 and 28 and hit his peak then surely he should of been considered by england?

as an Aside Smith was Hucks team mate at Leeds and Berkovic at Man city..

jas :)