Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

should he start on saturday?

chris martin, i mean. i think he has been fantastic and i know many will probably slate me for saying this but i think dublin should start on saturday as martin needs to be well managed, and he was clearly tired when he went off. it also looked like he was carrying an injury for part of the second half. i must admit i thought dublin would start instaed of him last night.

[quote user="baldyboy"]

chris martin, i mean. i think he has been fantastic and i know many will probably slate me for saying this but i think dublin should start on saturday as martin needs to be well managed, and he was clearly tired when he went off. it also looked like he was carrying an injury for part of the second half. i must admit i thought dublin would start instaed of him last night.

[/quote]I agree he looked tired and was struggling against that man mountain birmingham defender , he needs to be looked after as was Rooney when he burst on to the scene with Everton.That way you will get the best out of him IMO.

[quote user="baldyboy"]

[/quote]

Totally agree, and said the same thing last night. It''ll do no good to play him if he''s tired because that will effect his performance and a poor performance will in turn effect his confidence. Better to rest him up and unleash him again in a week or so''s time.

He looked tired but he was still causing them more problems than Dion did when he came on. I would keep Dion on the bench and rest martin when Brown is fit.

Interesting topic....If there''s any risk of him picking up injuries or cumulative fatigue then I think it''s best for everyone if he''s not playing a full 90 minutes twice every week... And he has proven very effective from the bench. BUT at the end of the day, if fitness wasn''t an issue, then I''d like to see him starting every game.

Yes - starting Dublin isnt an option for me;  Martin offered far more even in terms of simply holding the ball up...

Providing he is fit and doesn''t run the risk of getting injured, then yes, Chris Martin should start.

agreed martin looked tired, got whacked against derby and again last night, he could already be carrying a niggle.  however, this boy has great natural strength and unlike rooney has greater stamina imo.   rooney can look knackered in matches, even now.  if the boy is fresh in training on friday, and isn''t carrying a knock, i think he should start, and if he tires, put dion on later.   martin makes incredible runs, creates space and has terrific movement, there''s no-one like this lad at the club - even earnie.  we need another 3 points, lets get em and rest for a 2 week break after.

I felt we''d have been better starting with Dion last night. It was always going to be a hard job for Martin up against Jaidi and Tiny Taylor, everytime the ball went up to him it came straight back.

He left it to late to make the change and it was always going to be hard work for Dion to get into the game properly. It was just fortunate (although obviously we defended well) that Birmingham didn''t make the most of their domination of the ball.

I don''t want to take too much away from the performance or result though, just thought it was too much to ask of Martin. And it proved to be the case.

Now would be a good time to rest him if possible, me thinks.