Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Right wing

Will this position get sorted out before transfer deadline?????????

Kevin Cooper can play on the left in place of McVeigh whose form has dipped. But what about the right wing??

Will Mark Rivers ever play for us again?

What about young Keith Briggs or will he never play for us again???

Why is there no one in the football league who is available and can play there?

But please Worthy, no more Henderson wide right. No more Mullers or Francis wide right. And no more McVeigh wide right. These guys are not the solution.

i only watched brief highlights but i did see mr cooper putting in a very good right footed cross, he can play on the right and do a good job, y not give him a try

i think a 4-3-3 would suit Mr Cooper
as a middle/wide player have mcveigh/mulryne on the left and holt dead in the middle

Huckerby Roberts and Mckenzie upfront!

I have been saying this for months.

I think Cooper was brought in for this and with a full week of training with the squad I expect Hendo to miss out against Stoke and I also expect to see Brennan at left back if Drury remains injured - Shackell had his worse game for city on saturday.

Under no crcumstances should we switch to 4-4-2 - part of the reason for our defensive soundness has been 4 willing midfielders looking to track back at all opportunities - going 4-4-2 will expose the back 4 too much. And Stoke are providing plenty of upsets so we will need to keep it tight.

In the meantime I would like to thank Hendo for filling in well at the right side midfield slot despite it not being his preferred position and trying to keep to his managers instructions by providing defending assistance to Edworthy.

OTBC

Right Wing thats decidedly old school, these days getting to the bye line skiining the full back and putting in crosses for your striker/centre forward, although as anyone of any vintage will testify was an exciting part of the game has gone out of fashion. For City certainly when did you see such skills displayed at Carrow Road in the last 10 years, certainly I can''t recall. Mark Rivers has never tried this ploy according to my memory.

As an LDV employee, I attended the Trophy Final yesterday and both Martin Bullock for Blackpool and Mark Gower for Southend were right wingers who scared the full backs with pace and got crosses in. May be not the answer but what would someone like Bullock give to be in our squad fighting for a place in the team and the Premiership and probably costing relative buttons.

Wingers may have gone out of fashion, btu I think they are exactly what the team needs. i''m fed up watching aimless punts out of defence to a traget man that can''t head the ball. If we could spread the play out wide (not via huckerby necessarily) then i think we would be a much better attacking force.

Kevin Cooper did a good job for us in the second half on Saturday. He was happy on the ball, looking for it and assured when moving forward. He has been there before and at this stage of the season, he is a good man to bring in. He will allow Holt/Francis/Mulryne to operate in the middle and gives McVeigh a chance to play on the left where he is at his most effective. Cooper should definitely start and he and Edworthy will be a good force down the right.
On Saturday, we sorely missed Drury. Brennan would have been good in his place - sadly, not to be. Shackell is a centre half and does not attack down the left - this was missing for the team and meant that Huckerby and Svenson were chasing about far too much up front in very difficult circumstances.
Let us hope Drury gets back quickly - if not, Brennan - hopefully both! Once this section of the team is restored, with Cooper on the right we have a good back 4, a good balanced midfield and the best attacker in Hucks in the division.
This will see us thru the next 9 games. Palace and Cardiff were always going to be difficult - not tragedies for us as long as we can get the right balance for the remaining fixtures. Others will drop many points too!!

Everyone knows that a diagonal cross is harder to defend against than a punt straight upfield, 1: It creates far more striking options for a mobile strike force, as long as we are positive enough to attack in numbers across the field behind the front two strikers. Roll on a winger of quality.