Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Rejoice - we're tracking a defender!

"The Canaries, meanwhile, are said to be watching 6ft 4in Histon

defender Matt Michel-King, also reported to be attracting the attention

of Cardiff, Reading and Peterborough."
Ok so he only plays for my local side Histon but at least we''re looking for someone. And he''s 6'' 4"! When''s the last time we had a real big scary brick sh**house type defender? Even Malky i''ve just read is only 6'' 1".

[quote user="a1canary"]"The Canaries, meanwhile, are said to be watching 6ft 4in Histon

defender Matt Michel-King, also reported to be attracting the attention

of Cardiff, Reading and Peterborough."
Ok so he only plays for my local side Histon but at least we''re looking for someone. And he''s 6'' 4"! When''s the last time we had a real big scary brick sh**house type defender? Even Malky i''ve just read is only 6'' 1". [/quote]watching danny shittu last night, he certainly gave a good as he got, thought to myself we needed a big  guy like him.  is micky-king anygood anyone know?????

[quote user="ricky knight"]Says it all dont it Histon, i hear the red lion pub have a big centre half.[/quote]

Doesn''t mean that much... everyone''s got to start somewhere and he must have quite a lot of potential if he is being checked out by Reading and Cardiff.

Ricky, do you want me to start naming players who have been plucked out of non-league football recently? Freddy Eastwood, Matt Derbyshire... Bascially, any player that doesn''t start their playing career with an academy does so with a non-league side. It''s about time we got someone spotted from this tier of football - that''s what scouting is for. Oh, but it''s only Histon so we may as well not bother. Histon are currently 1 point behind Nationwide South leaders Salisbury. Champions get auto promotion to the Conference and 2-5 play off for the final spot.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Says it all dont it Histon, i hear the red lion pub have a big centre half.[/quote]

just like Southend fans rejoiced in picking up Freddie Eastwood from Grays...............

meant to add that I applaud this if true as there are plenty of gems floating around the non league scene

hehehe you have to alugh don''t you Ricky?

oh well didn''t Ian Wright play non-league football until his mid twenties???

You never know there just may be that one in amillion chance that he is our next Malky, Steve Bruce or Dave Watson!!!

Could he really be much worse than the Doc however???

so because he plays for histon then he can''t have any potential?. What a negative point of view, i don''t know why you''d bother.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Says it all dont it Histon, i hear the red lion pub have a big centre half.[/quote] I think it''s good that we''re looking at the lower leagues for players. He may well be able to make the step up!

[quote user="essex boy"]

meant to add that I applaud this if true as there are plenty of gems floating around the non league scene

[/quote] I just said the same thing in another post - they are there if you can be bothered to look for them, which Worthy clearly couldn''t!!

just cos a player doesnt get picked up by a academy, doesnt mean with a bit of hard work and a good coach, a non league player cant make it in the professional game, les ferdinand went from hayes to qpr, Kevin phillips was a full back playing no league b4 watford got him, and sean bean played for sheffield United in "when saturday comes"!

i have got no problem with non league players but thats all we seem to be setting our sights on, were we not linked to some striker from Whitley Bay, come on folks we might unearth one gem, but are we going to get promoted on a team of ex non league players. we have gone from ashton, earnie to blxxdy whitley bay

Come on we want to be serious promotion contenders dont we, if we do, we must set our sights higher imo. Sorry if you think i am negative, but at the moment thats how city make me feel, yea i know i should be shot at dawn.

[quote user="ricky knight"]

i have got no problem with non league players but thats all we seem to be setting our sights on, were we not linked to some striker from Whitley Bay, come on folks we might unearth one gem, but are we going to get promoted on a team of ex non league players. we have gone from ashton, earnie to blxxdy whitley bay

Come on we want to be serious promotion contenders dont we, if we do, we must set our sights higher imo. Sorry if you think i am negative, but at the moment thats how city make me feel, yea i know i should be shot at dawn.

[/quote]

i get what you are saying, i can''t wait for the season to end and hopefully for norwich to be safe to be honest!. I still think the club is doing the right thing in scouting the lower leagues for bargains. We''d face so much competition if we look to sign players like billy sharpe, jermaine easter etc so we may need to look even lower than that, like it or not. I don''t think you should be shot at dawn!!!.

[quote user="AJ"]anyone know how old he is?
[/quote]

I think I remember reading 22 as his age somewhere.

The striker from Whitly Bay is only 19 - and Newcastle were interested so he can''t be complete rubbish - give them both a go I reckon - they can''t cost too much between them and if one turns out to be worth it we have saved a fortune on buying someone who already has a reputation.  Lets not forget our squad has been stretched painfully thin at times this season so some quantity to supplement the quality wouldn''t go a miss

Wake up Ricky, we''re not in the premiership any more, we''re not top of the championship either - signings like deano and earnie are a thing of the past until we get back to either of those positions. Until then, we''re not going to have the level of money available and we will have to look for better value.

Yea but Newcastle did not want him after a trial. For crying out loud lets have a bit of ambition. Yes there is success stories of non league players but not enough to consider building a team on them and yes i do expect us to be at least challenging for the easter''s and sharp''s of this world, where is it going to end up Wroxham, Dereham, oh yea i forgot they all start somewhere dont they.

''Kids for buttons'' - West Ham style?

I see Charlton just signed a striker from Dulwich Hamlet (I think) for 35,000.

Good move Peter Grant.

OTBC

Ian Wright, Kevin Philips, Stuart Pearce, there''s loads, Beckham once went on loan to Preston, Andy Cole made his name at Bristol City, lets take a chance on someone, it''s gotta be better than spending £500,000 on Andy Hughes or Neil Emblem or paying huge wages to Peter Thorne!!

i don''t care if new signings come from Real Madrid or Wroxham all that matters is are they good enough? and are they better than the rubbish we currently have? To dismiss a player simply because he is non league is very foolish.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Yea but Newcastle did not want him after a trial. For crying out loud lets have a bit of ambition. Yes there is success stories of non league players but not enough to consider building a team on them and yes i do expect us to be at least challenging for the easter''s and sharp''s of this world, where is it going to end up Wroxham, Dereham, oh yea i forgot they all start somewhere dont they.[/quote]

He scored in the one game he played for Newcastle reserves, but Roeder decided he wasn''t ready for the Premiership.

To be honest, I''m not sure many non-league players are??!!... 

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]i don''t care if new signings come from Real Madrid or Wroxham all that matters is are they good enough? and are they better than the rubbish we currently have? To dismiss a player simply because he is non league is very foolish.

[/quote]

I am sure some of you dont bother to read posts properly, i have not dismissed the lad, i am questioning city''s ambition and direction. For everyone mentioned as making it out of non league, there are thousands who dont. So if i am right here, you are all happy to have a team of non league players go for promotion next year. also league players going on loan, with respect is a bit different to a player making it from non league, football, Beckham went on loan to further his career, he was never in danger of not making it.

I cant believe how easily pleased our fans have become, we seem to share, the little old norridge, be happy where we are, board mentality.Well i for one will never settle for it, i know the response go support someone else, thats the only answer some of you have got.

Arrghh, this really narks me. As ALWAYS with the moaners, you mistake a dose of reality and, in this case an acceptance that looking at a non-league player is worth doing, with being ''easily pleased'' or ''happy with where we are.''Don''t be ridiculous. Just because we''re not jumping up and down shouting "sack the board", we''re happy with being in the bottom half of division one. Is that what you think? You''re sorely mistaken if it is and just plain WRONG.  No-one''s happy with our current league position. But IF we can pick up a decent central defender, for next to nothing as part of Grant''s rebuilding, who can replace the donkerty, then it will all contribute to an improved position, along with the other new additions.