Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

Are we throwing it away?

Couldn''t go today. I''m not sure I could face next season if we manage to screw it all up. Was hoping for at least a point.

i know we don''t want to fall out of the top 2 but even if we did, we still have a good chance of going up in the play-offs, but i really don''t want to go through that again!
but we won''t throw it away. there''s too much quality in the team and with the best home record in the league we r bound to win atleast 3 out of our last 4 home games if not all of them, along with a win at burnley, we will be up.

after witnessing the past two away games and the gillingham game i have to say something is definately amiss

whether it is the pressure of being top (but we have been top since portman road) i don''t know as we will never find out what is really on their mind i guess

we do play a lot of people out of position - left back, right wing, and yesterday''s windy conditions didn''t help, but palace seemed to do okay (rather like bradford on the first day of the season)

i don''t think we will throw it away, we are still a long way clear and have too much quality to just bottle it completely, but it would be nice to turn on the style

we have to start every game as if it was the last, and get an early goal, why wait until 70 minutes before realising we are a goal down.

No moanin''Riverender we''re not. If you read my post today you might think I was saying yes. However, there is an underlying message. One or two bad result doesn''t make a season. i don''t think we''re throwing it away. We need to make a couple of changes yes, and change the way we start yes, but we aren''t throwing it away. We''ll go up, have faith

I must say, I was expecting to lose this one.

But no, I don''t think we''re throwing it away.

Sorry Mook but I can''t agree with you. The sad fact is because of Worthy''s team selections,lack of tactical understanding and a prelidiction for playing players out of position we are doomed allready. The only reason we have garnered the points we allready have is down to a large slice of luck. I''ve lost count of the number of times I have left Carrow Road this season thinking ''How in hell did we get away with that.'' Lets face it just two wins from 6 games is not good enough and I am afraid things are going to get worse as our luck runs out.

Cmon everyone have faith, dont start having doubts now,we will do it,we will go up and we will beat Stoke on Saturday. Few things to get sorted I agree but we are still top in a comfortable position so lets get positive.Negative vibes wont help us posters or the players.

How very typical. One or two dodgy results and out the Worthy moaners emerge from their hole, ready to slag off the team, the manager and anyone else who doesn''t agree with them. As for Chunky Canary''s assertion that City are where they are thanks to luck, well this surely shows how some people love City to get bad results, despite their protestations that they''re Norwich fans. Norwich are at the top of the table thanks to hard work, by both the team and the supporters - nothing more, nothing less. Have West Brom been running on luck as well, because they''ve had some less than flattering results? For a moment, let''s say Chunky is right, and Norwich have had a lot of luck. Surely the same thing could be said of most of the division, the top 10 especially?

So things are going to get worse as our luck runs out? Puh! Try supporting the team - assuming you know what real support is.

Agree cityangel...lets all focus on Saturdays game..no more negative vibes

I''m afraid I am going to inject a negative thought cityangel. People observing these posts are not going to become negative because of what is posted...they can see what is occuring on the pitch. I agree with you that we all need to be positive ( including the team and the manager ) but beating Stoke will be no small chore. In their last 15 games ( 7 at home and 8 away ) they have won 9, tied 5 and lost only 1. With 2 games in hand on many above them they can smell the possibility of a playoff spot. During their successful stretch they have won at West Ham, tied at Millwall and Sunderland as well as strong wins against other good sides, and kept 6 clean sheets. Norwich are going to have to go into this match fully prepared to take it to Stoke from the first minute and not let up until the final whistle blows. Anything less will likely yield the wrong result. So what is the purpose of this note...a naive hope that enough people can get a message through to Nigel ( because this is what I think is required ) to just turn the team loose ( remove tactics and sugarplums ) and let them go out and play football.

it would be nice to be promoted with 5 games to go but it was never going to happen.Bad day yesterday and other results not going our way aswell BUT west ham lost today so its not all doom and gloom.
. We must not get too downhearted there are 21 teams who would swap places with us at the moment and have Norwich ever done it the easy way?????
Vital to win on Sat and if we do everything is brighter.
come on you yellows

green
edworthy flemming malky drury
mulryne holt
mckenzie brennan
roberts huckerby

go for goals on sat mcveigh svensen on bench

To answer my own question I think it is no, but I do think we are in some danger. the reason? being 10 points clear on saturday morning.

Now if we were 2 points clear or level, I bet we would see commitment like we''ve never seen it before. But we''re not good enough to stroll around thinking a win is there for the taking and I am just nervous that being so close they take their foot off the pedal a bit.

I also think we have had our fair share of luck which has not been true in previous seasons.

I have faith in NW, I do think we will nick it against Stoke, but NW''s management skills will be tested to the utmost over the next few weeks.

What worried me on Tuesday was that we just looked so lacking in confidence until we got the own goal. With a 10 point lead we should have been preening and passing, running and tackling with a swagger. Not like a bunch of nervy ninnies.

Fortunately we have enough games which look winnable so I think its going to be tough but we will hang on.

what is the world coming to, i agree with you 100% yankee, may i lie down and have a nurse please to help me overcome this sudden madness, agreeing with him!!!

what is the world coming to, i agree with you 100% yankee, may i lie down and have a nurse please to help me overcome this sudden madness, agreeing with him!!!

gazza, you probably sent your message twice hoping that some miracle would make it read differently the second time. Don''t despair in agreeing with me. Remember that, at a point in time, Neville Chambelain made a wonderful agreement with Herr Hitler before all hell broke loose. We will be at war again and restore things to their natural order.

I really hope we are''nt going to throw it away,but i have to admit i''m getting a little worried about our recent form of 2 losses in 3 games.

C''MON CITY, WE CAN DO IT!!!

POA
OTBC
NCFC

Whats going on here???? We lose away to two of the better home teams in the league and suddenly Worthy is tactically naive and the team lacking committment - yet we are still top of the table, 8 points clear with just 9 games to go.

A quick look at the remaining fixtures show us that all the teams from 7 upwards have to play some very tough games - us inlcuded at Sunderland and home to Wigan before that. Before any team can catch us THEY have to win every game - and as Alan Pardew is finding out that is not an eay thing to do in this league. Not losing to Sunderland and Wigan will be like a victory in the promotion race...

A look at our own fixtures shows that despite the some tough fixtures we have 5 eminently winnable games ahead of us which should be enough to secure promotion.

Yes the support was good on saturday but again there was a significant number of fans looking for Hendo (and now McVeigh) to make a mistake so that can have a pop at them. This does nothing for team morale and need to be behind all 11 players for a full 95 mins. It is this that Worthy was referring to in the Gills game and then the tripe that has been posted on here means that our twitchyness is being passes to the players and then back to us again - a vicious circle - we can break it but it is in our hands...

Roll on Stoke - and support whichever team Worthy puts out - he has got us this far with a paper thin squad - give him creadit for that at least...

OTBC

Chicken or the egg. Is it the fans making the team edgy or the team making the fans edgy. I agree with the setiments posted here about getting behind the team, but it is really up to the team to start playing from kick off not when we go in behind or having been posted at half time. Perhaps changed tactics i.e. start 3 up front may change the fans outlook.

Personally I have never booed a player, never sung actually, not for 20 years a little juvenile (not the right word) for a man of advancing years, I guess those booing come from the same stable as those who sing. I give my support for years turning up for the last 20 years on and off by spending my hard earned to watch what generally have been a collection of under achievers and never weres.

In answer to the question that is the title of this thread, I really can''t believe that if we ultimately fail it will be through lack of effort. I wonder if part of the problem, apart from the obvious nerves creeping in, is that we are not going out there to impose our game upon the other team. It seems like we are being too reactive, rather than proactive, especially for the first half or so of games. Also, because of the enormity of what is at stake, it is almost as if we feel that playing with freedom and creativity is going to leave us vulnerable, so we don''t do it. This leaves us being a pretty one-dimensional side and makes it easier for the oppo to work out how to deal with us, and makes it easier for them to create against us. I don''t know about others on here, but I would rather we go forward to the end of the season trying to really go for it, as opposed to being quite negative/defensive-minded. Thoughts please?

Precisely, susie b. Your point speaks to exactly what is required. Look, there are only two possibilities by the end of the season, either we get promoted or we don''t. Regardless of the different opinions offered by posters we all obviously want promotion. If, however, we should fail ( and that will not be the end of the world ) what would most of us like to say about that failure:
- there was a lack of commitment by some of the players
- we needed to bring in one or two more players and did not do it
- Worthy got the tactics all wrong
- We should have played x player or y player more than we did
- Some of the fans did not get behind the team enough
OR ( as I believe )
-Norwich did not make it but every man jack of them went and played their heart out and played some good football from start to finish and gave it their best shot. OTBC!!!!!

Yes Susie B, and all your posts on this thread Yankee Canary. Months ago I posted threads about Cities Negative approach to the game. They will stand back instead of attacking the ball. They must win the ball in mid field now if they are to succeed to the Prem and even more so if they hopefully attain Premiership promotion. We are as yet a very jerky and lucky football machine, Forget the statistics they do not by any means give a full picture of our pereformances. God forgive for watching a few attacking performances of the Ipswich team, The forward line do string accurate passes together and are far more cohesive and efficient and smooth in their approach work. Defensively they are very poor. May be it is because they get too caught up in their attacking movement.

Yankee, if your scenario unfortunately comes about it is because there was a lack of committment by some players, they have not practiced and honed their football skills enough to become the successful football machine they could be. Also they must want the ball enough to be first to it. Also once they have it there should be enough busy players moving into forward positions to give the man on the ball passing options.

We have achieved much this season, a few of the boys have worked their socks off but because of poor off the ball running we do not open up opposing defences as well as we need to. O.T.B.City, onward and upward its yours if you want it enough for 90 mins per game.

At this stage should any player in the Norwich squad need any motivation at all, if the young players are out of their depth that is down to Worthy putting to much pressure on them two early, the more experienced players all shouting at each other and shouting at the youngsters is helping no one It still appears that the problem is our stikers not being in a position to receive the ball when a player is looking for someone to pass to Ewan is to slow Svensson is in effective give Leon a chance at least he looks hungry for it and not just waiting for his pay packet at the end of the week.

still solid display as usual from Eds Flem Malky and Holt