I''m sorry, but seems to me everyone is forgetting something about the

forward positions for next year. everyone is talking about

Martin/Earnshaw combos or Earnshaw/Brown or Earnshaw/Dublin combos. Has

everone forgotten the fact Huckerby is playing his best football

upfront for us. No one seems to think he is going to play upfront next

season. I am just confused why people still aren''t seeing him as a

forward even though his recent revival must be down to him going back

to his forward position

Back in the mists of time Hucks would probably have been classed as a good old-fashioned winger .These days, the term ''forward'' only seems to be applied to out-and-out strikers .Perhaps most of us only think of  forwards in those terms and DH is certainly not a striker in the modern sense.

Considering Dublin may not stay, Earnshaw could be sold, and Brown has never looked like scoring, Hucks may well continue up front next season. Especially with Lappin starting to settle into the left midfield role.We simply don''t know what the summer transfer window holds. Who knows, we may even sign a decent striker?

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

I have been saying it every time this subject (and I will say it again), Hucks best position is when he is allowed to roam/run at defenders, not as a traditional forward.

[/quote]

here here! hucks is ineffective in the air, and whilst a strong player it requires a different type of phsyical ability to play up front. Running at Slower Center backs si what hucks is good at.. rather than having to "Mix it up" with them and get banged about.

jas :)

I think people are thinking of forwards ten years ago. Yes, you need one upfront that does that sort of work eg Martin, but how many other teams have two orthadox forwards. Man utd have rooney and arsenal have henry that both like to roam. A forwards position gives huckerby far more freedom than in midfield

hucks scores coming in from the left, did he pick up the ball in a striker position  when he scored against brum?
no he got the ball on the left A LEFT SIDED PLAYER

I like we have options like this when they are all fit again.

I like 442. I think Grant likes 442. I used to think we could play 442 with Hux wide left but now I concede to those who have said all along that Hucks should play up front. Posters like ZLF were right all along and I am happy to join them.

Hux has scored goals lately cutting in form the left and right. As part of a front two he would have the freedom to do that. I see no reason why Hux / Earnshaw can''t work just like Hux / Martin does. With plenty of options we can pick a team to suit the game we are playing. The only position I believe Hux couldn''t play would be as lone striker in a 451.

With larger squads, which lets face it, we have all been asking for, there is competition for places and good players get left out. Assuming Thorne will be gone and probably McVeigh. And if Jarvis comes back and Grant wants to keep him and if Dublin gets a new contract that would leave us with : Earnshaw, Huckerby, Martin, Brown, Dublin and Jarvis. There are good options there!

Posters like ZLF were right all along

Aw shucks [:$]

Its like chimpanzees and shakespeare - I had to get one post that hits the mark eventually.

[quote user="sonnycityfan aka Ginger Pele"]hucks scores coming in from the left, did he pick up the ball in a striker position  when he scored against brum?
no he got the ball on the left A LEFT SIDED PLAYER
[/quote]

HENRY.

It doesn''t matter where he picks the ball up if he is playing up front. He picked it up down the right a couple of times too!

Infact he is better up front for one other reason - it allows midfield to be more balanced. When ever we play Huckerby down the left he is playing as more of an advanced midfielder or a third striker which puts more pressure on the rest of midfield and Drury behind him.

As someone else mentioned giving him a free role up front works better than a free role on the left as it reduces the pressure on other areas of the team and puts our most creative player somewhere where he can have more of an effect on the game.

i think huckerby''s best position is as wide left player in a 4 -3-3, he is not an out and out centre forward.. next season he will start to lose his legs a bit and it can only be good for the team to have competition, it will probably come down to how the opposition play. if grant thinks we need to play 4-3-3 then huckerby if he thinks we shopuld play 4-4-2 then i can see huckerby starting on the bench sometimes.

another point is that i believe dublins best position for us is at centre back and not centre forward

[quote user="sonnycityfan aka Ginger Pele"]hucks scores coming in from the left, did he pick up the ball in a striker position  when he scored against brum?no he got the ball on the left A LEFT SIDED PLAYER[/quote]I''m sorry mate, he was playing upfront when he scored it. he is free to roam out of position but for that game his position was upfront

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I like we have options like this when they are all fit again.

I like 442. I think Grant likes 442. I used to think we could play 442 with Hux wide left but now I concede to those who have said all along that Hucks should play up front. Posters like ZLF were right all along and I am happy to join them.

Hux has scored goals lately cutting in form the left and right. As part of a front two he would have the freedom to do that. I see no reason why Hux / Earnshaw can''t work just like Hux / Martin does. With plenty of options we can pick a team to suit the game we are playing. The only position I believe Hux couldn''t play would be as lone striker in a 451.

With larger squads, which lets face it, we have all been asking for, there is competition for places and good players get left out. Assuming Thorne will be gone and probably McVeigh. And if Jarvis comes back and Grant wants to keep him and if Dublin gets a new contract that would leave us with : Earnshaw, Huckerby, Martin, Brown, Dublin and Jarvis. There are good options there!

[/quote]

Huc

Hucks is definetely better playing as a striker than out wide.  I have always been of that opinion because he is not as effective in hurting the opposition out on the wing (he drifts out of games too easily) and he unbalances the shape of the team.

I also like Nutty''s point about keeping the forwards together that we have and strengthening the rest of the team. [Y]

He rightly points out that this will give us options (something that we bacame thin on the ground on in every position since relegation and was always one of Worthy''s worse traits prior to this).

To be succesful you need different types of players in each position all over the pitch...  There is little competition for far too many players in our first team at this moment in time.

i think you should all think about rearranging the team slightly, john terry was originally a midfielder and now look at him - one of the best centre backs in the world.

its for this reason that i think we need a strong forward, someone like... gary doherty. with his fiery passions for revenge im sure he would be firing in goals left right and centre.

no really. doherty is the key. are we forgetting he was the ginger pele? are we forgetting he was originally an attacking player? we should move him back. doherty needs to shine.

to be honest - if we manage to keep hold of chris martin i think we will destroy the championship next season. he seems to be an amazing all round player, and so young as well. him and huckerby both seem to be working well together at the moment. the goal today came from an assist from martin to huckerby.

but as i said, its if we can keep hold of him.

[quote user="the son of doc"]i think you should all think about rearranging the team slightly, john terry was originally a midfielder and now look at him - one of the best centre backs in the world.

its for this reason that i think we need a strong forward, someone like... gary doherty. with his fiery passions for revenge im sure he would be firing in goals left right and centre.

no really. doherty is the key. are we forgetting he was the ginger pele? are we forgetting he was originally an attacking player? we should move him back. doherty needs to shine.[/quote]No

i will tell him. and a smile it will spread across his holy face. and the people will feast upon the lambs, and the sloths and the anchovies.

doc bless you young padowan.