Sign in to follow this  
Cantley

Complacency? or fear?

Today''s Independent puts the Palace defeat down to complacency. The Pinkun talks about City''s "dip in away form". I think they''re both missing the real problem. The malaise which has stricken our lads started at home with the first half of the Ipswich game, and continued last week for most of the Gillingham match.
They always tell tightrope walkers and mountaineers not to look down, and it seems to me that''s what the team have collectively done. I suffer from vertigo, and I know that crouching freezing feeling that comes when you realise just how high you are. You can''t move. But the feeling of intense panic does pass when you rationalise the situation to yourself - "I know this London Eye is high, but I''m safe inside this pod and it''s not going to topple over".
Worthy needs to work on the players'' heads. Something to interrupt their current mindset and put some confidence back into their game. I don''t know what - maybe a sports psychologist. Maybe surprise ''em with a witch doctor - that could break the mood and make ''em laugh. Hypnosis. Two days in the Canary Isles. Sensory deprivation tank. Anything just to change their heads.

Afternoon in Ipswich ought to do the trick, is this where you want to be staying lads ?

I thin he should make them watch the penalty shoot out at cardiff and the desparate pain and dissapointment of Kenton and Holt at the end when they were interviewed if that dosnt urge them to win and gain automatic promotion nothing will.

Franco I think this is the worst thing to do. If you are in a race and in front close to the finishing line it is well documented that you should concentrate on what you are doing, not think about someone catching you up, because they are more likely to. If you stay positive and visualize winning you feel positive. If you vizualize failure you will feel worried about it and it has a negative effect on performance. Same with us fans, if we get on their backs it makes them feel nervous about making mistakes and getting more abuse. If we encourage them, even if they do badly it helps.

Does any one know what happened to the Sports Psychologist? He arrived at Colney a couple of years ago to a great fanfare with the task of putting right our woeful away form at the time. He did all the usual stuff - Two goalposts, green grass and all that a had a brief period of success. Then he mysteriously vanished into thin air and I''ve not heard him mentioned for smoe time. Is he still employed at the club?. If he is surely now is the time for him to be working round the clock. The team does not become bad overnight and I''m sure its all in the mind. As I said on a previous thread the players are only human and there is an awesome responsibility on their shoulders. So Mr (I cant remember what your name is), get them on the couch and sort it.
And when you have finished come round and see me. I am turning into a jibbering, league table obsessed wreck!

Blacko,

Spot on mate.

Visualize the finish line with us crossing us first.

We all know we are good enough.

Its all mind games from now on in - for players AND fans.

I think that complacency is not the issue, and fear is a slightly dramatic way of looking at it. Surely the most sensible way to look at the decline in form in previous weeks is that the players are suffering from the pressure they are under.

A prime example of this is Huckerby. Although he has been in and out of games, he hasn''t reproduced the form he showed when he first came here. Watching him in the last few games, and something that was especially obvious against Palace, you can see that he is desperate to perform, he is over anxious, causing him to veer offside, or to try to take on 3 defenders at once when a simple ball would be the best option. Additionally, he is constantly being marked out of games. As the drawback of having such an excellent spell with the club he has made a replutation for himself and a defender is constantly on his toes. This is frustrating him and as a result he is putting himself under extra pressure.

The pressure on Shack must have been immense on Saturday, the expectation of him filling in for Drury in such important games got the better of him, leading him to have a shocking game. But this is understandable, he is only young and hasn''t really had a first team run before.

The main area you can see the pressure building though is in Svensson. He has been given the task of replacing Norwich''s scoring machine veteran, and his poor form is not helping his confidence. Fans are starting to get on his back, and you can see his thought proceses every time he goes near the ball: "Don''t choke, don''t choke, don''t choke... Oh, I choked." His performance against Palace was awful, I believe, due to this.

If anyone can relax the players and restore the zeal they possessed mid season it is Worthy. Everyone is getting jumpy and nervous - this is understandable, but it is essential we regain our composure and give one final push for promotion.

OTBC

"If anyone can relax the players and restore the zeal they possessed mid season it is Worthy."

Yes to a point, but also the fans can do their bit too....by

"Everyone is getting jumpy and nervous - this is understandable, but it is essential we regain our composure and give one final push for promotion."

Therefore, booing and slating the players, or calling for Iwan doesn''t help the eleven on the field. The main reason Wolves cocked it up was because the fans became too expectant and started jumping on their backs if they weren''t 5-0 up at halftime. We''ve all pulled together so far this season, the team needs us now more than ever before.

Let''s be the 12th man and get behind the boys and make some (constructive) noise!!!!

so we''ve lost a couple of games, big deal, we are top and I predict that''s where we will stay. All this talk of complacency and nerves are rubbish. These guys are professionals and they get paid a shed load more than any of us can ever imagine for being so. The carrot of the premiership and 4 new sports cars is all they need, have faith.