Sign in to follow this  
sdldjl05

Who is Norwichs greatest ever signing?

In recent times i would have to go for Huckerby, although Fleming and Mackay certainly did us proud over a long period.

Andy Hughes?Etuhu?

supprised i havent seen any of them on here so far [;)]

For me thou it has to be Huckerby, or Ashtonboth players came into our side and completely changed the way we playedthat means Iwan should be included on that list aswell.

KEVIN KEELAN....signed for a pittance and stayed for years...watching the cat in action was worth the entrance fee alone...commanded his area like no keeper i have seen since and fantastic agility...he should have played for England

[quote user="ManchesterCanary"]KEVIN KEELAN....signed for a pittance and stayed for years...watching the cat in action was worth the entrance fee alone...commanded his area like no keeper i have seen since and fantastic agility...he should have played for England[/quote]

there was a radio program years and years ago about Keelan being the best keeper not to play for England, i have to agree, best keeper city ever had imo and we have always done well for keepers.

Martin Peters

Absolute legend, by far the best outfield player to play for Norwich in the past 35 years (I only started going to games in 1971!)

Some bargains -

Megson free transfer - never liked him as a player or manager, but he did add something to the midfield for 92-93 season.

Dave Phillips - I had to add him, as he is one my favourite players, of any that I have seen play.

Gary Holt - £100,000 - bargain, desire, determination, passion.

Neil Adams - £250,000 - all those crosses and penalties.

Dennis Van Wijk - even if just for the Milk Cup winning year, but all those other appearances too.

John Polston - Not the cheapest, but nor was he expensive.

Andy Linighan - Not cheap for 1988 prices at £350k, he had 2 and a bit good seasons for us and was sold for £1.25m.

Matt Jackson - A good defender.  Signed for a bargain fee imho £450,000. I couldn''t believe it when Everton sold him, who stubborn nonce Worthington turfed out of CR on a free.

[quote user="Master J-Do Pur"]I would have to say Bryan gunn. I don''t think he has got a mention. He was a rock for us for a decade. He is Mr Norwich[/quote]I was going to say the same thing, though I have no idea how much he cost or who from... he was my first footballing hero as a youngster, I wanted to be Bryan Gunn so badly that I changed to my genes to make myself balding... okay, well that may just be coincidence, but never mind... I met him once starting the Norwich half marathon my Dad was taking part in... the bloody camera wouldn''t work so I never got a photo! [:(]Iwan and Hucks are legends from my lifetime, but in terms of pure profit how about Damien Francis? Sold for about 10 times what we paid for him only 2 seasons before... Not really a legend though, is he...?

[quote user="the son of doc"]the doc.

and coming in a close second..... ruel fox. he dominated 90''s football. what a legend[/quote]Sorry chump, believe Fox came through our youth system

How about a shout fot Adam Drury , not one of our best ever but we signed him fairly cheaply and I would dare say that was a bargain in respects of the service we have recieved and still continue to get from him , Also worth remembering some of the clowns we had at left back before Adam , Fernando Derveld anyone ?!!!!!!

Wasnt Goss another who came through the ranks from the youth team? 

If you like "value for money" how about some of these :-

Kevin Keelan £6,500, Duncan Forbes 10,000, Kenny Foggo 10,000, Doug Livermore 22,000, Graham Paddon 25,000, Martin Peters 40,000, David Cross 40,000, Ian Culverhouse 50,000, Colin Suggett 75,000, Mark Bowen 90,000 Kevin Drinkell 100,000, Bryan Gunn 100,000, Gary Holt 100,000.

More recently Paul McVeigh and steen Nedergaard have been good free signings for us.

Of course these are all examples of players bought relatively cheaply however Darren Huckerby (750,000) and Iwan Roberts (850,000) and many many others have all been tremendous signings for the club too.

An over sight on my part about Drury being on our youth books , But nether the less hes been a very good signing for us.

Dion Dublin was a youth team player we also let go does that make him not a decent signing ?

Peters was undoubtebly the best value signing.

But i am surprised Flecky hasn''t been mentioned more..what a great player he was first time round.

And also what about Martin O''Neill..he was hugely influential on the pitch when we signed him from Forest or Man City (can''t remember which).

[quote user="whoareyou"]

And also what about Martin O''Neill..he was hugely influential on the pitch when we signed him from Forest or Man City (can''t remember which).

[/quote]

We signed him once from each.

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Wasnt Goss another who came through the ranks from the youth team? [/quote]

No. Goss came from Spurs.....I think!

[/quote]

I think Gossy came through our youth side, he seemed to play for the reserves forever too. It took him 12 years to amass 188 appearances but he will be forever remembered for the wonderful goals he scored for us especially the ones against Leeds and Bayern and of course the last goal before the Kop went at Liverpool.

Has nobody mentioned John Deehan- no idea how much he cost but his goals got us at least one promotion and he was a very cultured reliable striker.

My vote though would go to Culverhouse- 400 appearances and absolutely solid at right back. Never saw him have a bad game, put in some of the most sensational last ditch tackles I have ever seen and as we have seen the last few seasons formed an amazing defenive partnership which gave that great team a solid basis at the back for the likes of Crook, Fox, Sutton etc to feel secure about.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Karl Pilkington"]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Wasnt Goss another who came through the ranks from the youth team? [/quote]

No. Goss came from Spurs.....I think!

[/quote]

I think Gossy came through our youth side, he seemed to play for the reserves forever too. It took him 12 years to amass 188 appearances but he will be forever remembered for the wonderful goals he scored for us especially the ones against Leeds and Bayern and of course the last goal before the Kop went at Liverpool.

[/quote]

Goss came to us as a Y.T.S. trainee after being released by Arsenal