Sign in to follow this  
sdldjl05

Who is Norwichs greatest ever signing?

Im gonna have to say the mighty Darren Huckerby any advances?!

There was once a guy named iwan aswell!!!!!!

Peter Crouch.

He stands out head and shoulders above everyone else.....

Iwan doesnt even get close for me

In no order and without thinking about it too much I would have to go for a top 10

Hux

Peters

Channon

ONeill

Drinkell

Watson

Bruce

Woods

Bowen

Townsend

i cant see how anyone says townsend is a good signing.. he spent 2 seasons with us.. and he did well i will admit.. but when he returned to Carrow Road with chelski he could be seen visibly making W****r Gestures at the barclay... shows what he thought of us didn''t it!

jas :)

I''m not old enough to know a lot of the legends but If I had to pick....I''d say either Iwan or Hucks

Great signings for me include those who came here cheaply and performed very well.  While with us Townsend redefined what an attacking midfielder did - and a breath of fresh air after the circles and limitations of Maguire and Mendham.    He qwas sold for a very healthy profit and for me was one of the best signing we have made.

Without the unpleasant arrogance that he has since shown (on TV to the general public as well as to our club)  would he have been half the player?   Probably not... but I agree he wouldnt get close on any popular player contest.

Not sure how I could miss out Ian Crook though...

Without a doubt

* Martin Peters *

£40,000 from Spurs. Probably one of the best bargains in football history. 231 appearances and 50 goals.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]Depends on what is meant by great, on pure ability there have been better players but Iwan was a legend for so many reasons, like huckerby he actually gave a sh*t about this football club and always put in 100%, his goals saved us from league 1 in the dark days, he had a fantastic relationship with the fans, and most importantly he stamped on Kevin Muscat.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Great signings for me include those who came here cheaply and performed very well.  While with us Townsend redefined what an attacking midfielder did - and a breath of fresh air after the circles and limitations of Maguire and Mendham.    He qwas sold for a very healthy profit and for me was one of the best signing we have made.

Without the unpleasant arrogance that he has since shown (on TV to the general public as well as to our club)  would he have been half the player?   Probably not... but I agree he wouldnt get close on any popular player contest.

Not sure how I could miss out Ian Crook though...

[/quote]

mmm I agree with you there for value for money Chippy, Bowen, Culverhouse all of Spurs had to be right up there...

As did Chris Woods an England goalkeeper signmed for very little.

What about the great FLECKY though?  How could you miss him out too Zip????

Or from the same era Mr dependable Ian Culverhouse!!

In tems of immediate impact not sure Mark Robins (2 at Highbury then a stunner at home to Chelsea for our opening 2 games 2 wins of that season) will ever be bettered.

Otherwise ZLF''s list isn''t to far wrong.

Michael Phelan - we just don''t seem to pick up bargains from the lower

leagues like him any more and  when we do buy, we pay over the

odds (500K for Hughes, 750K for Croft).

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

Depends on what is meant by great, on pure ability there have been better players but Iwan was a legend for so many reasons, like huckerby he actually gave a sh*t about this football club and always put in 100%, his goals saved us from league 1 in the dark days, he had a fantastic relationship with the fans, and most importantly he stamped on Kevin Muscat.
[/quote]

VFM comes into it for me - £900k was a lot for a league 2 player,  but agree that he has earnt his place in the legends for the number of goals scored,  he cared but greatest?   Others are well ahead

Smudger - as I said I hadnt given my list much thought and reeled a list of names of the top of my finger tips;  

Those teams from the 80s and 90s showed how to build a successful team,  footballers with passion and a desire to win all of them.  

Mickey Phelan was another absolute gem of a signing for peanuts.

In terms of value for money then Smudger is right Crook, Bowen & Culverhouse for a combined fee of £220K (cheers Spurs) takes some beating.

Peters was before my time but the equivalent would probably be signing Beckham today for the equivalent figure to the £50K paid for Peters back in 75.

Iwan cost £850K so nowhere near as good in terms of value for money. However, he was a great signing has he kept us in this league single handedly for at least 2 years. Hux will go down as a masterstroke because of what he has achieved here too.