Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

doncaster in EDP today

same old, same old.  football not an attractive investment, blah, blah - loss making industry, blah, blah.  difficult to attract investment, blah, blah - unless assett strippers, blah, blah or real football fans (presumerably delia), blah,blah. struggle on as before, blah, blah.Mandaric did ok at pompy, and wants to do the same at leicester.  are the multi-billionaire yank investors in the prem in it for the love of ''soccer'' or cos they want to make a buck???sheff utd got new board members with dosh and went up, and look like staying up.  derby got some money in, and look like gaining auto promotion or at least a top 6 finish.  sunderland were bought by a consortium in the summer - don''t look much like assett strippers to me.  the economic model that got us promotion was based on extra invetment via a share issue and the directors matching it.  ''prudence before ambition'' got us relegated, and has failed to get us promoted.  therefore and rationally, it makes sense to bring some new blood and investors onto the board in the summer, even if  that devalues  the worth of  the  present boards  investment in the short term - its called speculating to accumulate, and it should be done in the best interest of NCFC at its heart, the board felt fine about gambling with the fans money via the Share issue - why shouldn''t they now take a risk with some of their own???  after all, the directors put extra money in, but their investment has been protected and probably grown durin the last 3 years.  the fans have backed NCFC with their purchase of season tickets again.  doncasters recognises this, and praises the fans effort, all the more remarkable given how poor the footy has been over the past couple of years.  surely, its time for the board to match the loyalty and commitment of city fans and do what is necessary to attract the funds Granty needs to build a team fit to challenge for champs honours.

Spot on post LGT. I know that we arent the most affluent (or should that be effluent?) team in the division, but we have been let down badly with the boards refusal to back the manager financially.

This is what cost us our place in the Premier League, and has made us hugely disappointing in the Championship. At a time when you mention clubs like Derby, Sunderland, Birmingham releasing funds for players, we are getting loans, freebees, and £75k worth of players. Doncaster should do away with the "prudence with ambition" nonsense, as it has us fighting relegation, paying overpaid wages to injury prone / lazy / inept players, and unhappy supporters. But as long as we are buying season tickets in large numbers, hey - who cares. They are probably cacking themselves with laughter.  

A more suitable phrase might be "speculate to accumulate". After all, not many clubs are able to go forward without some investment.

[quote user="EadiesRight Foot"]

Spot on post LGT. I know that we arent the most affluent (or should that be effluent?) team in the division, but we have been let down badly with the boards refusal to back the manager financially.

This is what cost us our place in the Premier League, and has made us hugely disappointing in the Championship. At a time when you mention clubs like Derby, Sunderland, Birmingham releasing funds for players, we are getting loans, freebees, and £75k worth of players. Doncaster should do away with the "prudence with ambition" nonsense, as it has us fighting relegation, paying overpaid wages to injury prone / lazy / inept players, and unhappy supporters. But as long as we are buying season tickets in large numbers, hey - who cares. They are probably cacking themselves with laughter.  

A more suitable phrase might be "speculate to accumulate". After all, not many clubs are able to go forward without some investment.

[/quote]

Bang on ERF!!!

Best post I have seen in a long while....  Doncaster & Co will be cacking themselves with laughter right now... rest assured about that.

There was a thread posted about Birmingham supporters on here the other day...  The party line being how poor supporters they are blah blah blah.  Are they really as bad as people have painted them?  They are not happy about what has been happening at their club the past couple of years, they reckon that the football that they are seeing is poor and they have wanted rid of Bruce as manager for as long as we have wanted rid of Worthy (yet Brum are still stuck with Bruce).

In my opinion the Birmingham supporters have shown some backbone... they have called for the sacking of Bruce, the Birmingham board haven''t listened, they are not happy with the football that they are seeing and they have voted with their feet.

What is so wrong in that???  If Birmingham wanted their fans onside and to be selling out St Andrews week in week out then perhaps they should start listening to their supporters instead of digging their heels in over Bruce remaining there as manager???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="EadiesRight Foot"]

[/quote]

Bang on ERF!!!

Best post I have seen in a long while....  Doncaster & Co will be cacking themselves with laughter right now... rest assured about that.

There was a thread posted about Birmingham supporters on here the other day...  The party line being how poor supporters they are blah blah blah.  Are they really as bad as people have painted them?  They are not happy about what has been happening at their club the past couple of years, they reckon that the football that they are seeing is poor and they have wanted rid of Bruce as manager for as long as we have wanted rid of Worthy (yet Brum are still stuck with Bruce).

In my opinion the Birmingham supporters have shown some backbone... they have called for the sacking of Bruce, the Birmingham board haven''t listened, they are not happy with the football that they are seeing and they have voted with their feet.

What is so wrong in that???  If Birmingham wanted their fans onside and to be selling out St Andrews week in week out then perhaps they should start listening to their supporters instead of digging their heels in over Bruce remaining there as manager???

[/quote]

Hello Smudger you are a tosser!!!

Sorry I thought that I would bump this post back up seeing as none of you have seemed willing to take the bait on my alternative view of the Birmingham supporters [:-*]

Yes, thats a spot on post as far as i`m concerned. Interesting that it provoked almost no replies from the board supporters who seem to prefer belittling the more extreme elements on here (whose arguments are often the weakest) and ignore intelligent posts which maybe prove there own position to be a wee bit shaky.....

a wee bit shaky?

There is not a shread of intelligence in that original post.

The three clubs he mentions either have strong financial backing, or the benefit of recent relegation AND strong financial backing.

THey are in no way a comparison of our club with an extremely modest backing in terms of the board and shareholders.

Also to say the club are happy to gamble with our money and not their own is petty, spiteful and wholly untrue.

Delia has supplied the money to buy players herself, and the share issue was done off the back of the clubs main operating costs being covered by club income and director investment, which allowed the money raised by the share issue to be placed into the transfer kitty.

People like the OP could do with a shot of reality and looking at a clubs accounts once in a while because to say the investors returns have grown is, frankly, farcical and undermines his opinions totally by showing a fantastical belief that these people are taking profit out of the club.

It saddens me that morons still bang on about our generous shareholders making money from what is quite clearly a financial black hole.

The board have made mistakes, namely in allowing a tough decision to become easy with regards to NW, there are NO easy decisions in football. These things are fair gripes, and I for one would still like an apology and admission from certain club figures over their conduct during the final 6-12 months of NW''s rain, and some comments made towards the fans.

To start questioning their loyalty, or suggesting they are making money from city is unfair, unhelpful and uncalled for.

OTBC.

Asset strippers? no need to look any further than the incumbants. All of Mr Chases shrewd investments have been sold off leaving the club in a asset poorer position and a bigger debt.

Nice to see the Doomcaster playing the guilt card towards the fans, thanks for buying the tickets again blah blah, good of you etc etc how could we survive if you didn''t blah blah. Invest in players, sorry what was that?, I don''t think so. looking forward to the cash from the Earnie sale now that we have that Martin boy on a prudence a week.

lol  

Yes cause having a nice big car park and an old flour mill would pull millions of income per season into the club wouldn''t it?

Assests are there to be cashed in, and by doing so the club found the funds to turn us around and get to the prem.

They got it wrong with NW but they did, at least, back him with cash.

Surely the fact that during chases rein we turned down offers for players that would have wiped out our complete debt speaks volumes.Would selling off our whole team now pay our so called debts,this board has done nothing to improve our chances of promotion and imho it will not do so as long as carrow road remains full and we keep our nice little club attitude.Prehaps i am just a touch sentimental but i spent half my life watching norwich beat the likes of Man utd,Liverpool,Arsenal etc.I would love my children to have a chance of seeing this too!

[quote user="megson"]

a wee bit shaky?

The three clubs he mentions either have strong financial backing, or the benefit of recent relegation AND strong financial backing.

THey are in no way a comparison of our club with an extremely modest backing in terms of the board and shareholders.

Also to say the club are happy to gamble with our money and not their own is petty, spiteful and wholly untrue.

Delia has supplied the money to buy players herself, and the share issue was done off the back of the clubs main operating costs being covered by club income and director investment, which allowed the money raised by the share issue to be placed into the transfer kitty.

People like the OP could do with a shot of reality and looking at a clubs accounts once in a while because to say the investors returns have grown is, frankly, farcical and undermines his opinions totally by showing a fantastical belief that these people are taking profit out of the club.

It saddens me that morons still bang on about our generous shareholders making money from what is quite clearly a financial black hole.

The board have made mistakes, namely in allowing a tough decision to become easy with regards to NW, there are NO easy decisions in football. These things are fair gripes, and I for one would still like an apology and admission from certain club figures over their conduct during the final 6-12 months of NW''s rain, and some comments made towards the fans.

To start questioning their loyalty, or suggesting they are making money from city is unfair, unhelpful and uncalled for.

OTBC.

[/quote]

With such an alarming mentality as this pervading Carrow Road these days...is it any wonder the realists refer to the likes of you as sheep? What utter bilge...and a sign of why we are where we are as a club in 2007. Rumours abound that club staff post on here from time to time....and surely only someone being paid to do so would come up with such a pretentious and blinkered view.

Enjoy the slide.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]same old, same old.  football not an attractive investment, blah, blah - loss making industry, blah, blah.  difficult to attract investment, blah, blah - unless assett strippers, blah, blah or real football fans (presumerably delia), blah,blah. struggle on as before, blah, blah.

Mandaric did ok at pompy, and wants to do the same at leicester.  are the multi-billionaire yank investors in the prem in it for the love of ''soccer'' or cos they want to make a buck???

sheff utd got new board members with dosh and went up, and look like staying up.  derby got some money in, and look like gaining auto promotion or at least a top 6 finish.  sunderland were bought by a consortium in the summer - don''t look much like assett strippers to me. 

the economic model that got us promotion was based on extra invetment via a share issue and the directors matching it.  ''prudence before ambition'' got us relegated, and has failed to get us promoted.  therefore and rationally, it makes sense to bring some new blood and investors onto the board in the summer, even if  that devalues  the worth of  the  present boards  investment in the short term - its called speculating to accumulate, and it should be done in the best interest of NCFC at its heart,

the board felt fine about gambling with the fans money via the Share issue - why shouldn''t they now take a risk with some of their own???  after all, the directors put extra money in, but their investment has been protected and probably grown durin the last 3 years. 

the fans have backed NCFC with their purchase of season tickets again.  doncasters recognises this, and praises the fans effort, all the more remarkable given how poor the footy has been over the past couple of years. 

surely, its time for the board to match the loyalty and commitment of city fans and do what is necessary to attract the funds Granty needs to build a team fit to challenge for champs honours.

[/quote]

Much of what you say is well written and well thought out and provides much food for thought.  However, one ''health warning'' I would add is that while you are correct in that those clubs have made significant investment in their squads and are having relative success as a result of this, we have no idea what the long term ramifications of this investment will be for these clubs, particularly for those that do not get promoted.  It is entirely possible that one or more of these clubs have gambled their future chasing the dream.  Without knowing this, it is hard to hold this up as the way forward for us.

Sorry, did someone mention a does of realtiy?

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="megson"]

a wee bit shaky?

OTBC.

[/quote]

With such an alarming mentality as this pervading Carrow Road these days...is it any wonder the realists refer to the likes of you as sheep? What utter bilge...and a sign of why we are where we are as a club in 2007. Rumours abound that club staff post on here from time to time....and surely only someone being paid to do so would come up with such a pretentious and blinkered view.

Enjoy the slide.

[/quote]

I will. I''ve seen a real slide (as i suspect have you) and this is not one. Its a mistake in keeping a manager too long that''s being turned round.

I''m hopeful for next season, but we''ll see what happens.

Oh and would a club employee be asking for apologies from the board?

Quiz for you, if you query the point you highlighted then name me the 2 players delia has effectively purchased herself, should be an interesting exercise.

I would say the fact that during chase''s reign we fire sold 2 players in 24 hours and refused to build on our most succesful team says more.

However I''ve seen us beating those teams too and would love to again.

IMHO we''ve had a set back, things went off the rails but in general we are moving in the right direction again.

With reference to the original post, just what do the board have to do to match the loyalty of the fans and attract the funds necessary?  By renewing my season ticket I feel I am contributing my own modest share to the club.  The clubs'' directors are only the trustees of the club and can only continue in their posts with our support.  Despite all the rhetoric there has been no credible alternative to the current regime put forward and nothing about the alleged mis-management of the club finances that stands up to close scruitiny.  We all have our own opinons about the merits of the club football management and playing staff, and long may it be so, but I would like to see verifiable facts about the financial mis-management before vilifying the current board incumbents.  And as for the constant sniping at Neil Doncaster, all I can say is that his statements seem reasonable to me and are in line with the current state of football today.  There is nothing earth shattering in his latest missive, anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see it is a reasonable point of view.  There are alternative viewpoints and policies, many of which are aired on here with great clarity and passion, but at least respect and credit other peoples opinions as you would hope they do your own.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="EadiesRight Foot"]

[/quote]

Bang on ERF!!!

[/quote]

Where are Birmingham in the league? Good idea sack the manager who puts you second in the table. Another quality post smudger.

[quote user="jjohnny"].Prehaps i am just a touch sentimental but i spent half my life watching norwich beat the likes of Man utd,Liverpool,Arsenal etc.I would love my children to have a chance of seeing this too![/quote]

I would love for that to happen too but it won''t while football remains as it is now. Those days are gone. Back in the 80''s and early 90''s so many different teams challenged to win the top league. piswich, Watford, Southampton, West Ham, Crystal Palace, Sheffield Wednesday and Norwich all achieved a top 3 finish during this period.

Since 1997 only Arsenal, Chelsea, Leeds, Liverpool, Man.U.and Newcastle have managed top 3. And in the last few seasons it has only been out of the "big four".

Football has changed so so much and it''s not for the good of the majority of clubs.

Sure i saw a sheep dog herding the staff over carrow bridge today  Baaa Baaa.The saying lying to all the people all the time springs to mind

[quote user="10 Bryceland"]With reference to the original post, just what do the board have to do to match the loyalty of the fans and attract the funds necessary?  By renewing my season ticket I feel I am contributing my own modest share to the club.  The clubs'' directors are only the trustees of the club and can only continue in their posts with our support.  Despite all the rhetoric there has been no credible alternative to the current regime put forward and nothing about the alleged mis-management of the club finances that stands up to close scruitiny.  We all have our own opinons about the merits of the club football management and playing staff, and long may it be so, but I would like to see verifiable facts about the financial mis-management before vilifying the current board incumbents.  And as for the constant sniping at Neil Doncaster, all I can say is that his statements seem reasonable to me and are in line with the current state of football today.  There is nothing earth shattering in his latest missive, anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see it is a reasonable point of view.  There are alternative viewpoints and policies, many of which are aired on here with great clarity and passion, but at least respect and credit other peoples opinions as you would hope they do your own.[/quote]

Great post

So iyho are charlton,west ham,palace,reading,wigan,fulham,bolton,middlesboro bigger clubs than norwich.It crazes me that they have all managed to stay in the premiership or yo-yo between the 2 over the last 10 years when all we have had is 1 season and a play off final

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="EadiesRight Foot"]

[/quote]

Bang on ERF!!!

[/quote]

Hello Smudger you are a tosser!!!

Sorry I thought that I would bump this post back up seeing as none of you have seemed willing to take the bait on my alternative view of the Birmingham supporters [:-*]

[/quote]For once I agree with something you''ve said Smudger. Anyway, I agree with all that has been said pretty much. And as I''ve mentioned before, the only way to get out of this division is to spend some money. The only way to stay up, is to spend some money, and that is why we will never win the title again, or in my opinion get close to being promoted other than through the play-offs without Delia and Doncaster sticking their hands in their pockets and taking a bloody risk for once!!So far Granty''s made some good signings with very little money, he is also attempting, as it seems to flush out the dead wood. If this board wants to be taken seriously and wants the fans to know that they have the ambition to get out of this league to go on to bigger and better things, they must match it with the money.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="megson"]

a wee bit shaky?

OTBC.

[/quote]

Enjoy the slide.

[/quote]

Spot on Cluck.  Exactly the same thing occurred to me.  Someone from the club who, judging by their user name, has been taking a keen interest in my postings.  I''d be slightly flattered if I were susceptible to that sort of thing, which of course I''m not.

Megson, before you slag off other people for lack of intelligence, it''s "reign" not "rain".  The remainder of your post is not worthy of comment.

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="megson"]

a wee bit shaky?

OTBC.

[/quote]

Enjoy the slide.

[/quote]

Spot on Cluck.  Exactly the same thing occurred to me.  Someone from the club who, judging by their user name, has been taking a keen interest in my postings.  I''d be slightly flattered if I were susceptible to that sort of thing, which of course I''m not.

Megson, before you slag off other people for lack of intelligence, it''s "reign" not "rain".  The remainder of your post is not worthy of comment.

[/quote]

Genuine lol, didn''t realise there was such a similarity in usernames!

Apologies for the typo, rushed post due to being at work but if picking up on one word is the best you can do I cna see why you had to resort to that.

As for being an employee i quote (again)

Hardly the opinion of a paid employee surely?

To expand, I''d be aminly talking about Roger Munby who i remember being very critical of those of us calling for a change in manager, who should have the courage and dignity to apologise for his words at the time.

Anyhoo if you all prefer to moan and b***h rather than look at the progress being made under Grant then fine. I, for one, would like to put the difficult last 2 and half seasons behind us (though I''d still like that apology) and try and get back to enjoying going to Carrow Road again. Something I think we''ll be able to do next season. Early days, but its starting to look a little rosier.

Cluck said "is it any wonder the realists refer to the likes of you as sheep?"I''m sorry Cluck, but it is you who refer to us a sheep, phrasing it like that makes it sound like someone else started it.  Spin Doctor Doncaster? He''s got nothing on our Clucky.Also the "realists" is also your own term, I prefer "The Manic Depressives" or the "Delia Is Satan Collective (DISC)". I know my spin is less subtle than yours, but I am clearly not as good at it as you are.I don''t think that you have to be paid by the club to have such a blinkered view, if you did then Cluck and Smudger would be on the Ipswich pay-roll and I don''t think that they are. For one thing Ipswich don''t have any money.

[quote user="megson"]

Anyhoo if you all prefer to moan and b***h rather than look at the progress being made under Grant then fine.

[/quote]

...ssssshhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuusssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh... [:#][:$] You''ll let out the secret...

Rule 1: football matches are a mere side issue to the battle raging on the streets of the city that is the Pink''un forum... [:)]

[quote user="mbncfc"]

[quote user="megson"]

Anyhoo if you all prefer to moan and b***h rather than look at the progress being made under Grant then fine.

[/quote]

...ssssshhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuusssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh... [:#][:$] You''ll let out the secret...

Rule 1: football matches are a mere side issue to the battle raging on the streets of the city that is the Pink''un forum... [:)]

[/quote]

It''s not progress under Grant that is the issue.  He''ll take this club as far as the board will let him.

Unless the board change their outlook, WE ARE GOING NOWHERE! 

[quote user="megson"]

[quote user="10 Bryceland"]With reference to the original post, just what do the board have to do to match the loyalty of the fans and attract the funds necessary?  By renewing my season ticket I feel I am contributing my own modest share to the club.  The clubs'' directors are only the trustees of the club and can only continue in their posts with our support.  Despite all the rhetoric there has been no credible alternative to the current regime put forward and nothing about the alleged mis-management of the club finances that stands up to close scruitiny.  We all have our own opinons about the merits of the club football management and playing staff, and long may it be so, but I would like to see verifiable facts about the financial mis-management before vilifying the current board incumbents.  And as for the constant sniping at Neil Doncaster, all I can say is that his statements seem reasonable to me and are in line with the current state of football today.  There is nothing earth shattering in his latest missive, anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see it is a reasonable point of view.  There are alternative viewpoints and policies, many of which are aired on here with great clarity and passion, but at least respect and credit other peoples opinions as you would hope they do your own.[/quote]

Great post

[/quote]agree, post is fair minded and reasonable.  my opinion of neil doncaster is that he has the decency to make himself available to the supporters. however, his post in the EDP was ''steady as she goes,'' as if more of the same will bring us the success we want.  he could be right, wolves are proving this year that life without parachute payments needn''t be a disaster.  also, under the present boards stewardship, i am prepared to recognise we''re in a better position than 3 years ago -
  • overall, a better quality first 11.
  • 25,000 seater stadium, and prem quality playing surface.
  • manager who i believe can get the best out of quality players.
  • record season ticket numbers and capacity crowds.
however, because the club is run on the basis to break-even, if we don''t gain promotion within 2-4 years, then without extra investment, or players sales, then the quality of the squad must surely suffer and weaken, and then we would be in decline.  maybe the process of decline has already started.   the last 2 years have been difficult for NCFC to say the least.  recently, the feel-good factor has returned to carra rd and hopfeully, a good run of form will help everyone look forward to next season.  have the fans who invested in the share issues that helped springboard our promotion got value for their money???

[quote user="7rew"]Cluck said "is it any wonder the realists refer to the likes of you as sheep?"

I''m sorry Cluck, but it is you who refer to us a sheep, phrasing it like that makes it sound like someone else started it. 
Spin Doctor Doncaster? He''s got nothing on our Clucky.

Also the "realists" is also your own term, I prefer "The Manic Depressives" or the "Delia Is Satan Collective (DISC)". I know my spin is less subtle than yours, but I am clearly not as good at it as you are.

I don''t think that you have to be paid by the club to have such a blinkered view, if you did then Cluck and Smudger would be on the Ipswich pay-roll and I don''t think that they are. For one thing Ipswich don''t have any money.
[/quote]

Like I said to the other sheep 7rew...enjoy the slide.

I termed the phrase....and have no wish to distance myself from it. For me (and more than a few others) it sums up the flock like mentality of those who fear the future without their "mother figure" in place to guide them. One mother in life was quite sufficient for me....but it seems some of us can never let go of that particular need. (I''m sure there is a psychological syndrome for it).

As I''ve said before....Norwich City remains as much my club as much as anyone elses...and rather than hand the asylum over to the lunatics....I will remain here to ensure the alternative point of  view is heard. The time will come when DS and her wooly headed flock will move on to pastures new....then folk like me will return to pick up the pieces and open up an entirely new chapter.

What goes around comes around....It always does.

[quote user="megson"]

a wee bit shaky?

OTBC.

[/quote]yes exactly, the three clubs mentioned have strong financial backing - why can''t city??? only sunderland has been recently relegated.  sheff utd were going nowhere until extra money was put in during the close season of their promotion year - instant returns for the new directors.  the share issue raised extra cash for city, which i acknowledged was matched by the board - i did not suggest the board are taking profit out of the club - however, i would suggest the value of their investment has grown over the past 3 years, and certainly the past 10 - how much would the sale of NCFC realise???  sure, they''ve put the money in, but i doubt they''ve lost out overall.   what have the supporter shareholders from 3 years ago got in return???

For someone who has no desire to dissasociate yourself from the term,

you were certainly hiding your light under an amazingly large bushell.

Your implication was that it was a term in common usage rather that one

used, almost exclusively, by yourself.

I don''t know who is scared of the future, not me.  I don''t fear

for the future with any particular person in charge at Carrow Road.

(Well except when Graeme Souness was being touted as chairman and

manager-for-life.)  It is you that fears for the future under our

so-called (by you) mother figure. Is this Maternaphobia? What did your

mother do to you to cause this irrational hatred?

You fail to notice that you are the only person that cares massively if

Delia is majority shareholder or not. If she sold up I would welcome

the new investment and hope we weren''t going to do a Millwall. But I

wouldn''t lament her leaveing unless we did "do a Millwall" in which

case, I suspect, so would you.

You and the other DISCos (are there enough apart from cluck/smudger to

justify the plural?) can believe that the rest of us will get tired and

go away but, Norwich City remains as much my club as much

as anyone elses and rather than hand the asylum over to the

lunatics, I will remain here to ensure the sane point of view

is heard.

By the way Slides are fun, especially Helter-Skelters - where indeed what goes around comes around