Sign in to follow this  
Tom

Anyone impressed by Warner?

I went to the game today and wasn''t impressed by Warner.

He started well - always looking to throw the ball out - and did make a couple of good throws. But as the game went on, it became obvious that he can''t kick. He got one pass back that he kicked with his left foot which could easily have resulted in a goal. Then I cant remember one goal kick that i thought went where it was meant to go. Everytime it was mis-guided or sliced off the boot.

Not once did he look convincing collecting crosses - he came to meet one that he punched about 10 yards straight to a red shirt.

Let''s just hope it was first game jitters and that we dont have another gally on our books.

As for other players - didn''t think Fothy looked very good. He ran about a lot but got shrugged off the ball too much and passing was poor - not a dominating player like, dare I say, Dickson. Lapping looked decent again and impressed me along with the Popstar - very good touch and held the ball up well when needed to. He and Hucks combined well - with Croft adding that third dimension.

Doherty - poor. Why can''t he look where he is going to head/kick the ball? If under pressure, fine, clear it. If no one around, look before passing!

Hugheseless - the only reason i like to see him playing is I like the Hughes chant!

OTBC

P.s. I live in Derby - any chance of 3pts on Tuesday... please?!!

I thought that Warner looked well positioned and calm. Barnesley attempts seem to be directly at him, which may say as much about them as about him. He seemed secure at catching crosses, and the only blemishes were the attempt to kick clear with his left foot and to punch clear.The game came within hours of meeting his team mates for the first time. If his left foot is weak, they can make allowances. Clearly communications will improve as he gets to know the rest.The final question is how good a shot-stopper he is. He was not really tested yesterday by shots into the top or bottom corners. Over the next few games his quality will be better assessed. For me the jury is still out.I was disappointed in Fotheringham, not least that he and most of the others backed off and didn''t close down opponents receiving a ball. Something which Etuhu showed up in his brief appearance.Dury and Lappin were confronted with a winger and a prompter who could pass and control the ball. I think that generally they did well,  tho'' Dury lacks pace and may have been favouring his back. They were caught out fior the Barnsley goal, - possibly the only time when the winger got round Drury to by line and came towards goal. Otherwise, most centres were from very wide and were largely ineffective.The stars for me, especially in the second half when we threatened very little, were Shacks and Doc, who were confronted by two very physical strikers, and still got their headers away under tremendous pressure.

Warner looked OK to me just needs to work on his kicking but don''t forget he hasn''t played for  a while. He was quick to distribute the ball but made a couple of errors as he probably didn''t know his team mates name!

will wait and see on tuesday night.  he was interviewed on radio norfolk post match, and apparently spent 3 months? on loan at leeds at the beginning of the season.  given their poor start - slightly concerned, but to be fair, their defence has been rank all season. 

[quote user="Tom"]

He started well - always looking to throw the ball out - and did make a couple of good throws. But as the game went on, it became obvious that he can''t kick. He got one pass back that he kicked with his left foot which could easily have resulted in a goal. Then I cant remember one goal kick that i thought went where it was meant to go. Everytime it was mis-guided or sliced off the boot.

Not once did he look convincing collecting crosses - he came to meet one that he punched about 10 yards straight to a red shirt.

Let''s just hope it was first game jitters and that we dont have another gally on our books.

As for other players - didn''t think Fothy looked very good. He ran about a lot but got shrugged off the ball too much and passing was poor - not a dominating player like, dare I say, Dickson. Lapping looked decent again and impressed me along with the Popstar - very good touch and held the ball up well when needed to. He and Hucks combined well - with Croft adding that third dimension.

Doherty - poor. Why can''t he look where he is going to head/kick the ball? If under pressure, fine, clear it. If no one around, look before passing!

Hugheseless - the only reason i like to see him playing is I like the Hughes chant!

OTBC

[/quote]

jesus christ. a 3-1 win away from home n still some people arent happy. for gods sake why not just wake up and see that we need to be battling and not playing pretty football (which we did aswell for some parts of the game) and hughes battles like nobodys business. and i see the only decent players were the ones that scored!! come on mate cheer up u moody arse.

[quote user="Salopian"]I thought that Warner looked well positioned and calm. Barnesley attempts seem to be directly at him, which may say as much about them as about him. He seemed secure at catching crosses, and the only blemishes were the attempt to kick clear with his left foot and to punch clear.
The game came within hours of meeting his team mates for the first time. If his left foot is weak, they can make allowances. Clearly communications will improve as he gets to know the rest.

The final question is how good a shot-stopper he is. He was not really tested yesterday by shots into the top or bottom corners. Over the next few games his quality will be better assessed. For me the jury is still out.

I was disappointed in Fotheringham, not least that he and most of the others backed off and didn''t close down opponents receiving a ball. Something which Etuhu showed up in his brief appearance.

Dury and Lappin were confronted with a winger and a prompter who could pass and control the ball. I think that generally they did well,  tho'' Dury lacks pace and may have been favouring his back. They were caught out fior the Barnsley goal, - possibly the only time when the winger got round Drury to by line and came towards goal. Otherwise, most centres were from very wide and were largely ineffective.

The stars for me, especially in the second half when we threatened very little, were Shacks and Doc, who were confronted by two very physical strikers, and still got their headers away under tremendous pressure.
[/quote]

I started off thinkin you didn''t watch the same game as me (Warner - calm (????!)), but then definitely confirmed my thoughts when you mentioned shacks and doc were ''stars''. Now you really didn''t watch Barnsley Vs Norwich did you?!

[quote user="Tom"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Someone saw exactly the same game as me. I dont understand people coming on here and slating people who pick negatives in a match. Surely any constructive criticism is welcome on here. Where is the rule book for this Forum?

Surely negatives need to be pointed out to improve a team? Warner did look shaky with his kicking and punching. Every kick was sliced and one nearly resulted in a goal when I think we were 2-0up. Could have resulted in a different outcome...

Hucks, Martin, Safri and Croft brilliant...

Didn''t go to the game so can''t really comment but from what i''ve heard his claiming of crosses etc was far more assured than Gallagher''s. Not that hard though really!

Grant was quick to criticise Ashdowne when he didn''t have a great debut - haven''t seen any comments from the manager about Warner yet!

does Warner still look moody and spend the match sprinting round his penalty box when we are on the attack? he was always 2active" for Millwall in the box when he didnt have anything to do

jas :)

[quote user="Tom"]

OTBC

[/quote]

So clearing a "nailed on goal" off the line and, in doing so, stopping Barnsley getting a blood and guts last quarter of the game counts for nothing.

Hughes has made a difference at the back and to my mind has found a valuable position after a very shaky start. Give the bloke another chance, many people would have bailed out if they where given the grief he''s put up with. But, he''s stuck at it and overcomes shortfalls in fancy footwork with bloody-minded determination.

[quote user="Jamie Wright"]

Someone saw exactly the same game as me. I dont understand people coming on here and slating people who pick negatives in a match. Surely any constructive criticism is welcome on here. Where is the rule book for this Forum?

Surely negatives need to be pointed out to improve a team? Warner did look shaky with his kicking and punching. Every kick was sliced and one nearly resulted in a goal when I think we were 2-0up. Could have resulted in a different outcome...

Hucks, Martin, Safri and Croft brilliant...

[/quote]

Jamie - you''re dead right! As you say aswell, Hucks,Martin,Safri & Croft brilliant... cut them apart (especially down right flank) in the first half.

The feedback I had was that Warner was mixed,  at fault for the goal but did well elsewhere - hard to judge on one game.

As for Doc, all of the papers I have read yesterday and today have stated that the central defenders played well AND rated Doc the better of the two (S Times, Hux as MOTM with Doc an equal score of 8)

The view was that this was an excellent team performance,  and it is a long while since we have been able to honestly say that.   Hopefully the team confidence will continue to grow.

As far as weak points we are all aware that the keeper is a problem position,  that we need more options in all the defensive positions,  a back up in left flank and as exciting a prospect as he is Martin will need a break to recuperate and come back stronger, so a back up is needed up front too.  However for me the weakest part of the team remains the management structure who need to start picking a consistent team playing to a consistent formation that the whole squad knows and understand.  Once the tinkering stops and a solid formation arrives and that is drilled into the squad Steve Coppells Reading have shown just how far that can take you. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

The feedback I had was that Warner was mixed,  at fault for the goal but did well elsewhere - hard to judge on one game.

As for Doc, all of the papers I have read yesterday and today have stated that the central defenders played well AND rated Doc the better of the two (S Times, Hux as MOTM with Doc an equal score of 8)

The view was that this was an excellent team performance,  and it is a long while since we have been able to honestly say that.   Hopefully the team confidence will continue to grow.

As far as weak points we are all aware that the keeper is a problem position,  that we need more options in all the defensive positions,  a back up in left flank and as exciting a prospect as he is Martin will need a break to recuperate and come back stronger, so a back up is needed up front too.  However for me the weakest part of the team remains the management structure who need to start picking a consistent team playing to a consistent formation that the whole squad knows and understand.  Once the tinkering stops and a solid formation arrives and that is drilled into the squad Steve Coppells Reading have shown just how far that can take you. 

[/quote]

I would have blammed Shackell for the goal, his defending of that header was about as effective as Senderos''s in the Carling cup final when Drogba scored the winner!

Warner did Ok thought he made one great save when needed, but his kicking probably wasn''t his fault as the defenders only got to know him on Thursday or Friday. I thought that the defence looked less jittery in front of Warner than recently under Gallacher.

Warner did ok. Importantly the defence played with more confidence with him in goal. He made a couple of mistakes as did all players in all the games played yesterday. The Doc and Shacks were strong and solid and made no more mistakes than other players and less than most. It was a good team performance all round.

There are certain players at this club that fans look for mistakes from and then remember them. There are others whose mistakes never get noticed. An up turn in results should put a stop to this, people don''t look for mistakes in a winning team.

i thought the defence did well on the whole (apart from the goal). I wouldn''t blame warner for the goal. There was some great determined defending at times, particularly with shackell and hughes. Barnsley are a physical team and their strikers are big lumps so the defence was always gonna be under a fair amount of pressure.

[quote user="Stavros"]

i thought the defence did well on the whole (apart from the goal). I wouldn''t blame warner for the goal. There was some great determined defending at times, particularly with shackell and hughes. Barnsley are a physical team and their strikers are big lumps so the defence was always gonna be under a fair amount of pressure.

[/quote]

Although Shackell mis-judged the header for the goal, it was Fotheringham''s poor pass that led to the cross. Wouldn''t be suprised if we see Dickson back in with Safri tomorrow night as we will need more strength in the middle against Derby...

[quote user="Jamie Wright"][quote user="Stavros"]

[/quote]

Although Shackell mis-judged the header for the goal, it was Fotheringham''s poor pass that led to the cross. Wouldn''t be suprised if we see Dickson back in with Safri tomorrow night as we will need more strength in the middle against Derby...

[/quote]yeah, but shacks prob is he switches off and misses the runners, this hungarian guy was a danger man for barnsley, got first run on shacks and glanced in from an acurate cross - made it look simple and unopposed.  however, he played well 2nd half, made a couple of last ditch clearances, even though he was dizzy.  fair play to his effort in staying on, but despite admiring his obvious talent for a few seasons now, if we''re to gain promotion, he absolutely needs to strive for consistency and concentrate fully for the whole match.