Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

For those who wanted Curbishley!!

I think the board got it right when they went for Peter Grant. So far he''s not done a lot wrong for me, (maybe his team selections could be argued with and some times his choice of words when dealing with the press). But all in all we seem to be making strides in the right direction.

The teams commitment and resillience are there for all to see as apposed to how things were when Grant took over. The fact that younger players have been given a chance and not forgetting that so have some of the older ones ie Thorne WLY etc. Add to that the players out on loan to get games and to be assessed and the bigger picture becomes apparent.

Add to that his signings have all been well accepted by most of us, (maybe the jury''s out on a couple of them but we must remember that he''s not spent much money. £75,000 for Lappin was a real bargain.

By the time we kick off next season (in the championship), the rest of the dead wood will be gone and if the new faces that he''s bound to bring in are of a similar or hopefully even better quality than what he has already bought, it all augers well for the future.

Well done Peter Grant. Keep up the good work. Onwards and upwards.

OTBC

Second that.

Lappin a real bargain. Hopefully Grant can dig a few more out of same or more quality over summer. New centre back and permanent goalkeeper needed...

I wouldn''t take Curbishly over Grant now although I would have done in October. Right now Grant has shown he wants to manage Norwich City and I believe right now he is the best man for the job.

Curbishly was a wonderful manager for Charlton and we don''t know if he can do it elsewhere. It''s the same as Allardyce and Bolton. They probably can be just as succesful elsewhere but it isn''t proven yet and some managers only are succesful at one club in one tenure.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

I think the board got it right when they went for Peter Grant. So far he''s not done a lot wrong for me, (maybe his team selections could be argued with and some times his choice of words when dealing with the press). But all in all we seem to be making strides in the right direction.

The teams commitment and resillience are there for all to see as apposed to how things were when Grant took over. The fact that younger players have been given a chance and not forgetting that so have some of the older ones ie Thorne WLY etc. Add to that the players out on loan to get games and to be assessed and the bigger picture becomes apparent.

Add to that his signings have all been well accepted by most of us, (maybe the jury''s out on a couple of them but we must remember that he''s not spent much money. £75,000 for Lappin was a real bargain.

By the time we kick off next season (in the championship), the rest of the dead wood will be gone and if the new faces that he''s bound to bring in are of a similar or hopefully even better quality than what he has already bought, it all augers well for the future.

Well done Peter Grant. Keep up the good work. Onwards and upwards.

OTBC

[/quote]Well after almost a season in charge, showing signs he is tactically inept, has no idea of team selection or formation, fails to attract a single player anybody has actually heard of, slags off the players and supporters openly in public, fails to take any responsibility himself for any defeat or poor performance and within the space of 5 days and two games against two abject and hapless teams, PG has transformed himself into a miracle worker, the new Messiah if you will, well done PG, very well done in deed

Well , I thought Grant  was beginning to show signs of  being Worthington Mk 2 !    but when Earnie  dropped out I advised him to use Hucks as a striker  ,  and play a more attacking game  , as we are shit in defence  ,  to his credit he did listen  ,  Hucks showed  his boring critics how wrong they were  ( they don`t not like it up `em !!  )   with their continual whine  of  , " He`s a winger ",   " he always drifts left ",  " He`s to old at 30 "  , "He`s not a team player ",  " A one trick pony ",   " Headless chicken " ,    " Can`t defend "  ,  " doesn`t drop back "   ,  the list seems endless !

It behoves those critics to take the time  to check through all the match reports  for this season , and through the last two seasons  .........    then you might realise that , this season , we may well have been  looking up at Forest  as we struggled  to stay mid table in League one .........

Jumps in trench  , helmet on [:P][:D]

JB wrote "PG has transformed himself into a miracle worker, the new Messiah if you will, well done PG, very well done in deed ☺"

I see you''re at it again[:D]. Once again, who has said this, because I can''t find it anywhere on this board, only a recognition that we have started to move in the right direction. Who is it, your mates? your postman? your paperboy? - who is it that you know who is making these rashly optimistic judgments???? Very interested. [:D]

There is no point at which anyone could convince me that Curbishley''s hunger would have been sufficient to make his time at Norwich a success. Why did he leave Charlton again?...

In my eyes, Grant was a better option over Curbs and I still believe that.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

For all those that wanted or did not want Alan Curbishley - this article is worth a read. A good insight into the problems he inherited. It''s not that different to what I have heard from friends who are s/t holders at West Ham.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/03/04/sfntac04.xml

Tim

Having read this article; if you change Pardew and Curbishley for Worthy and Grant and then change players'' names as appropriate, the article still makes sense.

Interesting and a little worrying.  The one difference is that the players Grant brought in during the transfer window have started to change things.  Mind you, Grant has had longer in the job too!!

[/quote]

Curbs joined a sinking ship... the damage had already been done at west ham long before he got there... unfortunately i think they already have his replacement lined up and he will be seen as the fall guy..

with 3 or 4 seasons he could work wonders with them.. he wont get it though

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Curbs joined a sinking ship... the damage had already been done at west ham long before he got there... unfortunately i think they already have his replacement lined up and he will be seen as the fall guy..

with 3 or 4 seasons he could work wonders with them.. he wont get it though

[/quote]

Didn''t Pardew work wonders with them?

Interesting debate, but since Curbishley stated after he left Charlton that he didn''t want to manage outside the Premiership I think the ''choice'' between Grant and Curbishley is only a hypothetical one. (Although it looks as though Curbs may soon be managing outside the Premiership if he stays at West Ham).

Two names which were bandied about constantly as replacements for Worthy by many of the moaners on this board were Phil Parkinson and Mike Newell. Parkinson has long since been sacked having been a disaster at Hull and Newell''s Luton are deep in the er.....mire. Oh and every so often Newell opens his big mouth and drops himself/his club in the er.....mire with the FA.

I''m glad our board went for Grant.

yes he did NN.. and could still of been doing so.. theres somethign wrong at West ham.. the board? the players? who knows... A good manager needs a good assistant and is it any suprise West hams form Dipped when Grant left?

Curbs spent ages with Charlton and while very successful, it was a long

term success.  He hadn''t worked with any players that he hadn''t

brought up or brought in in years.  I''m not sure why this makes

him qualified to have instant success with any club, especially one in

turmoil.

The clue is in the timing jas

What happened at the club when it all started to go wrong?

The cynic in me suggests it was the foreign investment!

It couldn''t be though.... could it???

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

yes he did NN.. and could still of been doing so.. theres somethign wrong at West ham.. the board? the players? who knows... A good manager needs a good assistant and is it any suprise West hams form Dipped when Grant left?

[/quote]

Jas, West Ham''s form seemed to have dipped well before Grant was appointed last October 13th. They had only managed one win out of the nine matches played at that point.

macdougall wrote

JB wrote - PG has transformed himself into a miracle worker, the new Messiah if you will, well done PG, very well done in deed

I see you''re at it again[:D]. Once again, who has said this, because

I can''t find it anywhere on this board, only a recognition that we have

started to move in the right direction. Who is it, your mates? your

postman? your paperboy? - who is it that you know who is making these

rashly optimistic judgments???? Very interested. [:D]

Errr, did I actually say anybody had said it or did I use any quotation

marks to suggest anybody had said it? I said it myself macdougall, I

was just giving PG some well earned praise, in recognition of our lofty

position in the league, it''s as simple as that, Can''t a guy come on

here and pay  tribute these days without another poster trying to get

in a cheap shot? "☻"

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

It certainly didn''t help, but surely the main problem was that a bunch of one season wonders suddenly started to believe the hype. Look at the performances of Harewood, Zamora, Ferdinand and Reo-Coker this season and I think you''ll find that''s where the problems lie.

It''s interesting that Reading are already looking into the effects of ''Second Season Syndrome'' in readiness for next season. Now there''s a quality manager!

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]

Interesting debate, but since Curbishley stated after he left Charlton that he didn''t want to manage outside the Premiership I think the ''choice'' between Grant and Curbishley is only a hypothetical one. (Although it looks as though Curbs may soon be managing outside the Premiership if he stays at West Ham).

Two names which were bandied about constantly as replacements for Worthy by many of the moaners on this board were Phil Parkinson and Mike Newell. Parkinson has long since been sacked having been a disaster at Hull and Newell''s Luton are deep in the er.....mire. Oh and every so often Newell opens his big mouth and drops himself/his club in the er.....mire with the FA.

I''m glad our board went for Grant.

[/quote]

To be fair to Mike Newell he made Luton into a good team and then the club went and sold key players; Howard, Nicholls, Edwards and Vine. I feel sorry for him because he was taking Luton the right way.

He was the man City should have got, in my opinion.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

It certainly didn''t help, but surely the main problem was that a bunch of one season wonders suddenly started to believe the hype. Look at the performances of Harewood, Zamora, Ferdinand and Reo-Coker this season and I think you''ll find that''s where the problems lie.

It''s interesting that Reading are already looking into the effects of ''Second Season Syndrome'' in readiness for next season. Now there''s a quality manager!

[/quote]

There is a strong school of thought including the statisticians who support Finkelstein in the Times that West Ham massivley over achieved last season and that this season is not so much a falling away but more a correction back to reality.  The fact that some players either thought they were better than reality or that the Prem was easier than it is doesn''t help either.

Pardew did not fail this season so much as massively succeed last season.

Timing ! yes! but the most important thing in a manager is enthusiasm, I believe that PG for certain, and it must rub off on the players with luck.  PG wears his heart on his sleeve, he breaks into bouts of icomprehensible gabble at times, especially at interviews.  Still in my book he is a manager who is doing his best the way he knows how and with his new buddies I can only wish him all the luck in the World, because I believe if there is justice enthusiasm and hard work must show dividends and a bright attack on the Prem soon.  The players make or break a manager.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There is a strong school of thought including the statisticians who support Finkelstein in the Times that West Ham massivley over achieved last season and that this season is not so much a falling away but more a correction back to reality.  The fact that some players either thought they were better than reality or that the Prem was easier than it is doesn''t help either.

Pardew did not fail this season so much as massively succeed last season.

[/quote]We saw the same when Ipswich were last in the Prem... qualified for Europe and then decided to start spending like an established Premiership side... I think we all know the rest of the story!Given a continued improvement in form until the end of the season, I think Grant has earned himself a chance to start with a fresh slate next season. I''m still hopeful that he can be the right man to get us competing for Top 6 season on season...(Curbishley was never in line anyway... Let''s face it, he wouldn''t have come to Norwich, and whatever pay packet he''s on at West Ham, it''s not one we could afford.)