Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

Who to buy in summer?

If you had an option to sign one player in the summer who would you sign? (Within reason, so no Ronaldinho''s or Gerrard''s)

Mine would probably be Andy O'' Brien if possible, he can only improve what we already have in central defence.

Leon cort... handy Centerback who knows how to score goals and very rarely picks up a yellow card.. good in the air too

jas :)

A good keeper has to be the priority for me.

That Green bloke may be surplus to requirements at West Ham....

Alternatively, David Marshall if we can get him out of Celtic.

Or more realistically, I''d like Mike Pollitt if he''s available by then.

Most of all though I want us to start signing players early and not leaving things to the last day of bloody August and then fail again.

I think we should keep an eye on Tony Warner, he has always looked good when I have seen him play.  I liked Lee Camp too, personally though i would rather have an experienced keeper.

Centre Half - Agree Andy O''Brien would be good, Linvoy Primus another option

Midfield - Billy Jones, Marc Pugh, David Edwards

Striker - Derek Riordan

5 Players, none of which would cost much (except Jones maybe) + Ryan Jarvis, Michael Spillane and Chris Martin = decent squad.

I think the club will buy young cheap players this summer and hope that the side will develop over time.

For me the two things we need from any signings are hunger and leadership.  Experience with those would be ideal,  no experience but those attributes perfect, but experience without them is a waste of time.

As far as positions are concerned we have to replace anyone we let go.  We need cover for all 4 defencive roles as well as a keeper and 2 more midfielders (1 central, 1 left).[:)][:)][:)]

Lee Camp, Ashley Williams, Bobby Hassell and Mark Bentley are some names that spring to mind for me.

goalkeeper - lee camp or tony warner both about 300k

central defender - leon cort 750k or andy obrien 400k

central midfielder - kevin nicholls 500k or david edwards 300k

centre forward - chris porter 500k or derek riordan 400k

I think Celtic will want £1m for Rioirdan in the summer if not more.  To get four or five decent players, we will have to sell Earnie, and Saffers seems to be definitely going so we may get some decent money there too, if Etuhu went to Boro for a few hundred k or a cheeky request for £1m.

If Earnie goes, Brown should go and Hendo, that imho would leave us needing two decent strikers.  Say £1m for Riordan, plus up to another £1m for another. £2m

If both Safri and Etuhu left we would need two central midfielders.  £1-1.5m for two central midfielders.

We are still short of two decent defenders.  Again £1-1.5m for two.

I''m hoping Grant / Scouts can find good bargains as with Lappin, for the defenders and midfielders.

With Gally ever more likely to go we will need two keepers.  £?

Money in -

Earnie £5m +  But after fees, sell on clause etc, perhaps only £3m available for transfers.

Safri and Etuhu £1m possibly £1.5m.

Any others that leave the money received would be minimal (likes of doc, hendo, brown) Perhaps £500k total.

Possible total available for transfers (after fees etc paid) and players sold as mentioned above - I reckon possibly £4-4.5m.

This would get you your two strikers and two midfielders and possibly a keeper, but we''d still be short of money for two defenders and another keeper. 

We may not be short if Grant can get bargains like Lappin.  But it would be nice to see the board fund £2m for summer transfers on top of any money received for sales.  Then that would leave Grant a decent wedge of money to add half a dozen + quality players.  And two or three bargains as well.  As we need to get in more players than we let go, to strengthen the size of the squad.

Wake up and smell the canary, he''s just bought Brown so he is hardly likely to sell him!!

If we are building a team why are we selling so many guys??

We need a keeper, if Hull go down look no further than Boz Myhill.

I forgot, you can''t sell players you have recently bought!!!

We need to sell to buy don''t we????

Sell the deadwood Grant inherited to bring in his own players.  We do need to sell some players imho, and if you re-read my post you''ll see that I said bring in more than we sell (at the end).

Lets keep Thorne, Henderson and Gallacher et al and for what purpose?  Just for the sadistic enjoyment of seeing repeats of this season.

So whats your solution if we don''t sell anyone??? 

Is it just me who thinks we need to offload some members of our current squad? 

Don''t we need two keepers in on permanent deals, with Lewis as 3rd choice?

Defence?

Midfield?  Safri looks to be going, possibly Etuhu too.

Even if Earnie stays do we still need another striker?

Wake up and smell the canary - I like it  [:P]