Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Canary

Do any NCFC players smoke?

Don''t know about any Norwich players but they said during the World Cup coverage that Zinidine Zidane smokes 20-a-day.Wouldn''t have thought many proffessional footballers do, though

[quote user="BedsCanary"]Don''t know about any Norwich players but they said during the World Cup coverage that Zinidine Zidane smokes 20-a-day.

Wouldn''t have thought many proffessional footballers do, though
[/quote]

And yet it''s Materazzi that goes down clutching his chest....

Oh the irony.

Saw hucks last season with a fag in his gob in optic....however he did

look pretty plastered so i''m not sure he was exactly thinking straight!

mark rivers was a chain smoker. seen plenty of norwich players smoke. plenty of pros smoke robbie fowler, johan cryuff famously. they are no different to us. they do a job and have a fag.

[quote user="Canaries Canary"]Or any modern players for that matter?
[/quote]

I think No.6 and No.10 do ...........

I have read a quote that Ian Crook used to survive on fags and Mars bars. Not sure how true it is. I''d be surprised if many players in the modern game do. I also believe Johan Cruyff does. I remember seeing some managers in Italian football smoking on the touchline.

No they are totally different.  They are professional sportsmen!  Rolemodels who make tons of cash for running around.  Would the fact that Rivers and Fowler are both lazy and have no stamina have anything to do with their lungs being full of rubbish?

[quote user="Bob M"]mark rivers was a chain smoker. seen plenty of norwich players smoke. plenty of pros smoke robbie fowler, johan cryuff famously. they are no different to us. they do a job and have a fag.[/quote]

Paul McGrath and David Ginola (as Jas said) were both definite smokers. Apparently Ginola had a 6 a day habit whilst at Newcastle. Not sure if that was smoking or washing his hair though.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]I have heard Mark Rivers did, which might explain his level of fitness.[/quote]He certainly did - i remember being astonished when i found that out. The guy could hardly ever last 90 minutes on the pitch and we all wondered why he couldn''t reach the same levels of fitness as everyone else. There was the answer. As someone else says, it''s not like anyone else just having a fag - it is their job to be as fit as possible. Smoking restricts their ability to carry out their job, fact. Ergo, if i was manager and anyone in the squad smoked (apart from the odd one while out at night), they would find themselves with a simple ultimatum. Give up or get out!

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Tim Allman"]I have heard Mark Rivers did, which might explain his level of fitness.[/quote]

He certainly did - i remember being astonished when i found that out. The guy could hardly ever last 90 minutes on the pitch and we all wondered why he couldn''t reach the same levels of fitness as everyone else. There was the answer. As someone else says, it''s not like anyone else just having a fag - it is their job to be as fit as possible. Smoking restricts their ability to carry out their job, fact. Ergo, if i was manager and anyone in the squad smoked (apart from the odd one while out at night), they would find themselves with a simple ultimatum. Give up or get out!
[/quote]

This would explain NW''s problem with him then....All makes sense now!.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Tim Allman"]I have heard Mark Rivers did, which might explain his level of fitness.[/quote]He certainly did - i remember being astonished when i found that out. The guy could hardly ever last 90 minutes on the pitch and we all wondered why he couldn''t reach the same levels of fitness as everyone else. There was the answer. As someone else says, it''s not like anyone else just having a fag - it is their job to be as fit as possible. Smoking restricts their ability to carry out their job, fact. Ergo, if i was manager and anyone in the squad smoked (apart from the odd one while out at night), they would find themselves with a simple ultimatum. Give up or get out![/quote]I couldn''t agree more!

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Tim Allman"]I have heard Mark Rivers did, which might explain his level of fitness.[/quote]

He certainly did - i remember being astonished when i found that out. The guy could hardly ever last 90 minutes on the pitch and we all wondered why he couldn''t reach the same levels of fitness as everyone else. There was the answer. As someone else says, it''s not like anyone else just having a fag - it is their job to be as fit as possible. Smoking restricts their ability to carry out their job, fact. Ergo, if i was manager and anyone in the squad smoked (apart from the odd one while out at night), they would find themselves with a simple ultimatum. Give up or get out!
[/quote]

What, so if you had a fully fit Ian crook in his prime in the current Norwich City Squad you would give him the boot would you???  Would it not matter that he is ten times the player of Safri, Etuhu and Fotheringham put together???

I do not believe it is as black and white as the picture that you paint above!!!

mmmmm JC, read your post at 12.40pm and wouldnt class johan cryuff as lazy with a lack of stamina.

yup Barthez smokes, remember when he was at Man U it was reported that Fergie gave him an ultimatum to either stop smoking or stop coming out of his area so far he was in the opposition half.........

he never crossed the half way line again

agree though that footballers smoking is ridiculous, would have thought that having the drive to become, and stay, a professional footballer would mean your health would be of the upmost importance.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Tim Allman"]I have heard Mark Rivers did, which might explain his level of fitness.[/quote]He certainly did - i remember being astonished when i found that out. The guy could hardly ever last 90 minutes on the pitch and we all wondered why he couldn''t reach the same levels of fitness as everyone else. There was the answer. As someone else says, it''s not like anyone else just having a fag - it is their job to be as fit as possible. Smoking restricts their ability to carry out their job, fact. Ergo, if i was manager and anyone in the squad smoked (apart from the odd one while out at night), they would find themselves with a simple ultimatum. Give up or get out![/quote]

What, so if you had a fully fit Ian crook in his prime in the current Norwich City Squad you would give him the boot would you???  Would it not matter that he is ten times the player of Safri, Etuhu and Fotheringham put together???

I do not believe it is as black and white as the picture that you paint above!!!

[/quote]Football has changed enormously in 10 years with emphasis on fitness more important than ever. If you believe that Crook would last in a modern day match, even at his prime, you are sorely mistaken.

''Once saw Rivers and Zema Abbey light up on the way back from an away game in a service station'' 

Isn''t that kind of dangerous?? Petrol and all that - maybe for once in their careers they wanted to be on fire!! Groan.....!

[quote user="Canaries Canary"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Football has changed enormously in 10 years with emphasis on fitness more important than ever. If you believe that Crook would last in a modern day match, even at his prime, you are sorely mistaken.
[/quote]

If you think that Chippy wouldn''t hold his own in this City team then that sums up your knowledge of the great game...

If I had to choose between the two then I would plump for class over optimum fitness every time!!!

Socrates also used to smoke heavily but he was part of one of the best Brazilian sides ever , He also looked like a tramp ! I''ve also seen Paul Mcveigh lashed and smoking in Delaneys more than once.

Filthy habit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="Canaries Canary"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Football has changed enormously in 10 years with emphasis on fitness more important than ever. If you believe that Crook would last in a modern day match, even at his prime, you are sorely mistaken.
[/quote]

We can never know for sure but instinctive players like Ian Crook and Martin Peters - who didn''t smoke - didn''t really need to be too fit as they let the ball do all the work. There can''t have been many such sweet passers of the ball .........

I''m surprised that outfield players Kevin Drinkell and Mark Rivers smoked but I think goalkeepers can get away with it. No one ever suggested that Fabien Barthez was any less effective because of it and I don''t recall City legend Kevin Keelan suffering any adverse effects either............

just got back from the power league at bowthorpe and the ref was smoking during our game. on a different note he was also a crap ref. he asked me what the score was 3 times, and as he puffed away he was talking to his mate and missed a couple of goals. cant wait to see what he put the score in as on the website. cheers to roland for recomending this site.