Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

I'm sorry but here's my rant

I''ve just got back from my day out in London. I had quite a nice day- Met up with my parents, had a nice meal and saw a bit of London. There was only one thing which soured the day, the reason I went- The football.

When are we going to turn up in the first half? I can safely say we did not test Nico Vasen in the Palace goal one little bit. I noticed he came out 5 minutes early at half time to warm up. Was this because he was worried he might get a blood clot in his legs due to lack of movement? We knocked it around ok, but did not create a single chance.

The first half was not my number one concern of today though. That honour goes to Svensson. I''m sorry if anybody disagrees with me here, as I know he has quite a lot of support, but he was absolutley appalling. Call me old fashioned but in my opinion a target man has two main jobs- Holding the ball up and heading it on. Both of these skills seem absolutely lost on Svensson. Hendo won more in the air- I''m not joking. At least Henderson jumps. Svensson is there for a reason. Whenever we have a goal kick or free kick we look for him. He''s there to get a head on the ball. He is not doing this. You do not win the ball in the air by letting the defender jump and hope that 1) he misses it 2) he fouls you or 3) by some miracle it will fall on his chest and he can lay it off. Crouch could do the latter as he had the strength, Svensson doesn''t. Don''t get me wrong Sven is pacy and he has a good touch (sometimes). However, when McKenzie came on he was very very effective. If were going to knock it long to a player who won''t win it in the air stick McKenzie on. It seems to me that we are playing Svensson because Roberts isn''t up to it. That seems a bit worrying to me. Let''s try and bring someone in (easier said than done I know) who will actually do a front man job. If not lets get the ball on the floor and play McKenzie.

I''ll move on to Shackell now. I''m sure by the time this gets posted there will be a million and one threads saying how diabolical he was. Don''t get me wrong, I do agree, he was appalling. However, I think we need to remember that he is very young and still learning. I''m sure that Eadie and Bellamy had equally appaling games when they were starting out. He had a poor game but look at the bigger picture- He''ll be a very good defender in the long run.

The atmosphere from the City lads today was wonderful. Even when we were losing we still sang our hearts out. We out sang the Palace boys all afternoon. Incidenctly, the chant "You only sing when your winning" applied to the Palace fans today something cronic today!

There were a couple of positives I did take from today. The second half was better, a bit. We knocked the ball about pretty well and created a bit. The other thing was Kevin Cooper. When he came on I thought he did well. Was willing to get forward and had some nice touches.

I''m sorry if I''ve been overly harsh in this assessment of today. Let me just say this though. We will win promotion. We will go up automatically. That I am confident. However, I fear that it will now be on our home form. One thing that is vital if we are going to finish the season on a high is the way we start. I know we are under a lot of pressure because we are top but we don''t help ourselves. If we went out, got an early goal, I''m sure we would relax a bit and play some of the free flowing football we all know we can play.

Please don''t slaughter me too much....

no way mate, i agree with everything you say, i am not quite sure about svensson yet, so will give him another full game at home, but on everything else, spot on

i am still confident too but cannot see why the tactics are now just panic!!!

We got oursevles to the top by beating teams, mainly due to the influence of hucks (who is playing through a rib injury by the way), and now we just seem to let them come at us and scare us to death

why can''t we go out and dominate a game - we are top for god''s sake!! Let''s start passing the ball around, playing the best person for each position, no mix and match stuff anymore, please nigel

yes, conditions were c**p yesterday, but have been worse and we have played teams off the park, i agree mckenzie looked hungry and up for it yesterday, but then he would as he is strapped to the bench most of the time

as for us, yes we were great, and

WE TURNED UP IN THE FIRST HALF NIGE!!!!

IMSORRY BUT ONCE AGAIN SOMEONE MOANING ,WE CANT WIN EVERY MATCH SHACKEL ONLY YOUNG AND LEARNING, THEN HE SHOULD NOT BE IN THE TEAM AT THIS RUN IN.SVENSSON HE GIVES 110 % ,I SEE YOU ARE NOT MOANING ABOUT HUCKS WHO IN MY MIND DID NOTHING JUST RAN UP THE WING LEFT THE BALL BEHIND AND THE PALACE DEFENDERS TACKLED HIM THEN HAD A MOAN AT THE OTHER PLAYERS WAVING HIS ARMS ABOUT ,MOSTLY AT YOUNG SHACKLE .AND LAST IT WAS VERY WINDY THAT DID NOT HELP ANYONE ,LAST THING IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SUPPORT THE TEAM STAY WITH YOUR PARENTS .

i was there too.here we go then,shackell a fine centre half but no left back brennen left back not playing mmm.henderson not at the racers again.in fact it is getting so bad that when the song is sung we are, top of the league i just feel like hideing under my hat. god it was rubbish.nw takes the praise now take the flake. your team selection has been c---p .as for sevennson well we got him 4 £50000 i can see why.we have been very luckey up too now.take the last 6 games we could have been stuffed by half time in most of them.i fear i really do for the rest of the season i really do,unless he can sort the first half cock ups out. one of many very unhappy fans.oh by the way i did turn up at the start of the game and sing. did our team dont think so nw.talk is cheap.

Great post DumbleDelia,i like you watched us freeze once more come a big game.

This is what me and my mates summorised-

1.Edworthy is looking dodgier by the game and if he gets took on by a pacey winger he gets beaten every time.
2.Mackay is a liability and struggles when a pacey forward is around-fair enough he chips in with the goals but yesterdays was down to him and the needless free kick that he gave away.
3.Shackell is never going to be a full back as he does''nt get forward like Drury or Brennan i suggest we move him to the centre to replace Mackay and put Drury if fit or Brennan at left back.
4.Henderson was superb appart from the first ten minutes and was willing to run and never give up the cause so why was he substituted?
5.Holt was simply magnificent and if every City player had his never say die attitude then we certainly would''nt be in the pickle that we are in at the minute
6.Svensson was awful and if we don''t play to his strengths it is a waste of time in playing him.
we rely a lot on the little and large act so we really do need Crouch back asap.
7.Huckerby needs reminding sometimes that it is a team game and occasionaly pass when others are in better positions.
8.Roberts was a pale shadow of his former self and really is''nt the answer anymore.

Ok i''m bound to get slated for this post but due care and attention is what is needed if this season is''nt going to end up like Wolves famous slip up off 2 years ago.

Very very worried Canary..

DD you should not get slaughtered at all as you have probably summed up the feelings of most supporters. I felt for Shackell because as you know he is a favourite of mine, but let us remember he is a centre half. I would have liked to have seen him up against Shipperly because I don''t think they would have won so many aerial challenges. You can see he is beginning to get some stick from the senior players, Huckerby in particular. It is always easier to have a go at the younger players. Playing Shackell at left back is going to play into the boo boys hands so come on Worthy play him in the middle instead of Malky.

What you didn''t mention is that once again Mulryne, when given a chance, didn''t produce the goods. He looked good on Tue because they only had 10 men. He seemed to bring the best out of McVeigh that night but the magic didn''t last too long.

I agree with you 100% on Svensson he is like a flying gazelle. People tend to forget that Worthy favours the ball down the middle to a big centre forward so whoever plays there is expected to win those balls in the air.

I will set myself up to be slaughtered now by saying that tactically our coaching staff, including Worthy, are not able to change things when the opposition thwart our style of play. So many clubs are now able to play Huckerby out of the game by using good pacy defenders and on occasions doubling up. What do we do - pass it to Huckerby just about every attack. It would seem that there is no alternative to our play and that I''m afraid makes it easier for the opposing manager. Come on Worthy you are supposed to have some highly rated coaching badge so lets see you use it. There you go Dumble that should take the flak away from you.

Got to agree with everything you say. Svenson is such a major disappointment. I expected him to be a real bustling centre forward, putting his head in where it hurts, hassling defenders and holding up the ball. But what a great big TART he is, thats 3 games in a row now that he just hasn''t turned up.

Its all very well him mouthing off in the press about coming here to play football and not wanting to sit on the bench, well Mathias lets see it, play with some pride - watch some videos of Iwan Roberts over the last few years if you want to see what I mean.

Time for Leon I think, or put Robbo back on from the start and give him 70 minutes.

DD: as usual a bloody good post, no I won''t slaughter you, but I''m not sure about all this confidence in getting promoted thingy. I still reckon we''re two quality players short to be sure. I agree with your striker theory 100%, but I would also like to add a Kevin Harper type on the right, we''re so lacking in that postion.

Can you tell me where I can buy a bottle of that confidence you''re using?, because I''m not confident at all!.

No need to apologise DumbleDelia, your criticisms sound very reasonable to me.

I agree we may as well play Mckenzie instead of Svensson if he can''t play as the target/link-up man. At least Mckenzie is a goal threat.
Shackell I have sympathy for. He''s inexperienced and ideally shouldn''t be playing now at left back at this stage of the season. We''ve badly missed Drury in my opinion, but Brenan should be the cover for this position.
I''m disappointed once again by Mulryne not being able to run the side. A playmaker is top of my wish list of new signings. We need someone in the middle to take control and direct the play. In short, the new Ian Crook.

I don''t go to away games, but for me our away results have decided the outcome of our season since Worthington became manager. For the last 3 seasons our home form has been fine. It''s the away results that have let us down. It may well be the deciding factor in whether we gain promotion or not.

Finally, take a look at the league table. See, it''s not so bad. It''s not over yet, not by a long way. Hats off to all you travelling fans.

Quite a fair assessment actually. Svensson is a bit of a mystery, have seen quite a bit of him (I live in Sweden) and at times he can play well, but I agree, not much went right for him yesterday. I think he would benefit from someone such as McKenzie up front with him to take all his flick ons - Huckerby plays a very free role and is often hard to find in that situation. Once or twice we just lobbed balls into the area with no - one there. Better to play McKenzie now and play it on the ground. Please, no recall for Roberts, sub at most. Agree with comments on Shackell, difficult conditions he messed the first few passes up and from then on one felt for him every time he got the ball. He is a good one for the future AT CENTRE HALF! Why didn´t Brennan play? One player who was above critisicm was Holt, the epitomie of a box to box player, him or Flem to be player of the season.

I totally agree with all your points, as would most people who were there. I would like to add two of my own:
1. Gary Holt was outstanding.
2. As shocking as Svensson was, it''s pretty stupid to start chanting ''Iwan!'' whenever he gets the ball. Worthy will have seen what we saw and will be able to draw his own conclusions from Svensson''s performance, it does nobody any good to rip him while he''s on the pitch.

DD,
Great post agree with everythong you said,
Bloke,
I heard the so called fans chanting for Iwan too everytime Sven made a mistake why the hell cant they support the eleven on the pitch,beggars belief

Well Done to all of you who travelled yesterday I was proud to be there and Worthy a message for you,did we make enought noise for you yesterday?

iwan has had his day ,jarvis should be given a chance ahead of iwan , but to say nw and the coaching staff havent got a clue well were are we bottom im really suprised at some of the posts on hear are we not norwich fans why do we slaughter our team ,ip**** must be laughing there socks of when they read theses come on be positive.

Wiz,

Confidence can be bought in 250ml or 500ml bottles from all good Norwich club shops. Me, I went to the wholesalers at the beginning of the year and bought a case of 100, 500ml bottles. I''m down to my last couple now, but it''s still flowing! I hear the club nearly put the confidence company out of business. They got a ridiculous amount of it but then Ipswich saved the day when they sent their shipment back. Sheepshanks said "With no money and our defence we can''t afford confidence!"

big dave

i think you will find mate that most of the people who have responded to this post are allowed out of the house on their own, i am nearer my bus pass than the age of consent thanks lol

shackell should not be played out of position - sort of what i was saying, svensson, i am not sure about yet, but he was ineffective yesterday, hucks i will never moan about, cos it is due to him we have been top for three months

and i did support my team, and i don''t need the likes of you telling me how to do it thanks all the same - i have never booed a player in my life or booed them off the pitch, that is not my style, but these message boards are just for this, discussion - you can call it moaning, but i prefer to call it a difference of opinion

yes, it was windy, but palace coped with it okay

Was Jimbo injured? If not, why wasn''t he out there at left back? I know Shacks did nothing wrong against the Gills last Tuesday, but I would have thought that if you have a fit, ready-made left back you would play him ahead of someone else filling in out of position. I expect that there is a good answer to this and I trust Worthy to learn from whatever happened, but it does leave us fans asking the question regardless.

well then i think you should now better,it is not just down to hucks what about the other 10 players on the pitch,its not hucks city its norwich city ,no you dont moan in front of them just slag them behind they backs .i very proud of norwich city and did you go to cardiff or will you be going to sunderland?

yes, dave, i did go to cardiff, but won''t be going to sunderland as i cannot afford to take two days off work at the moment due to personal circumstances

but you mustn''t measure the depth of people''s support on how many games they go to each season. It is all a question of people''s family or work commitments - we are not all able to get to every home and away game, some of the most passionate supporters live miles away and logistically it is not possible for them to attend every home match - some of us work saturdays, have other commitments

as for the hucks thing. Sorry, you don''t seem to be much of a hucks fan, i trust you have been at carrow road at some point this season to witness his displays, the goals, the assists the way he spurs the other players on. Maybe not. But we signed him and guess what, we have been top of the league ever since. Yes, he is more than a one man team mate, he is the reason we will be promoted this season. End of sermon.

just to let you know that yes i am a season ticket holder and yes i have been to most of away games ,and yes im a huckerby fan a big fan,but its not just down to hucks.what about greeno the saves he has made we would not be top with out his saves.holty his endless running and tackling,fleming and malky for comanding the defence wake up its a team game.