Sign in to follow this  
macdougalls perm

If Ashton leaves Wet Sham next season, will that prove that they have no ambition?

This is not a loaded question though I admit that it is hypothetical, I am just interested to hear people''s opinions on this. I am alluding to the fact that a lot of people have suggested that he had to leave us because our club and board ''obviously'' have no ambition. If he leaves West Ham upon relegation, therefore, will this say anything about their lack of ambition or not??  

I think, MP, like everything else, it''ll be split down between the Delia Outs and the KTF or whatever the factions are these days. Sad that it still has to be like this.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]This is not a loaded question though I admit that it is hypothetical, I am just interested to hear people''s opinions on this. I am alluding to the fact that a lot of people have suggested that he had to leave us because our club and board ''obviously'' have no ambition. If he leaves West Ham upon relegation, therefore, will this say anything about their lack of ambition or not??  [/quote]

I could see him staying with the Hammers till at least next January, just to see what sort of position they''re in...If they''re doing well I think he''ll stay. If he''s not back till the end of this season then I think he''ll need to get a few games under his belt before anyone risks putting big money forward for him ~ not that his abiity is doubted just that any potential club would want to see he''s fully recovered before splashing the ash. Got a feeling we''ll never see Green in an England shirt again though...

You couldn''t blame West Ham if he left. Or rather when he leaves. It won''t be down to lack of ambition, it will be down to a release clause!It''s a very different scenario to when he stuck with us after we went down. He was two years younger, still very new to the premiership, and had the chance to leave in Jan if it didn''t look like we were going to get back up. Which he did and which turned out to be an excellent move for him. But this time, he''s broken into the England squad, then lost most of an entire season to injury. For the sake of the progression of his career, he absolutely needs to be playing in the premiership. West Ham can''t do anything about that.

Well Mcd''s P if Ashton were to leave West Ham "upon relegation" it would actually prove that West Ham had LESS ambition than Norwich. Since when Norwich were relegated we kept Ashton and gave him an improved contract!

I think that if West Ham get relegated it will be because they showed too much ambition in bringing in the Argentinian "superstars" when they already seemed to have a solid team unit.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I think that if West Ham get relegated it will be because they showed too much ambition in bringing in the Argentinian "superstars" when they already seemed to have a solid team unit.
[/quote]

The performance of Tevez yesterday suggests that he could have been a top quality player for them,.for some reason I get the feeling that certain players didn''t exactly make the two new boys feel very welcome.

The answer to the original question depends on whether you thought that letting Dean Ashton leave showed a lack of ambition in the first place. In this day and age where players pay no attention to a contract that they only signed a few months ago I don''t think we ever had much chance of holding on to him.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I think that if West Ham get relegated it will be because they showed too much ambition in bringing in the Argentinian "superstars" when they already seemed to have a solid team unit.
[/quote]

Agree with you 100% there BLAH.... futhermore I would think that West Ham will be in the play-off''s at least next season and will almost be nailed on certainties for automatic promotion... They have many excellent players there (many of whom have recent experience of playing in a side at the top[ end of the Championship) and a manager that has been there done it and got the t-shirt!!!

Interesting! I actually think that he will go at the end of the season because I agree that the situation was different when we were relegated and he now needs to be playing in the Premiership if he wants to keep his international career on track - a lot depends on his fitness I suppose. As far as England and Green is concerned, I''m not so sure that''s over because, despite their terrible record, a lot of people seem to accept that this is largely down to how poor the Hammers defence are. That and the fact that England presently has about the worst array of goalkeepers available that I can remember in my time. And I don''t think that that is rose tinted nostalgia - Keelan, as he was in the seventies, would walk straight into the England team of today, imo.  

[/quote]

Blah - you forgot the bit about bringing them is over the managers head thus  destroying the team spirit he has built up at the club. Or that''s how it seemed to me.

I''m pretty sure Ashton will leave because he is quality and other teams will definitely be interested. Ashton did stay with Norwich until he saw that we weren''t going to be promoted again. Maybe he will do that at West Ham but I doubt it!

West ham will surely have to sell some players (personally i hope its green and ashton so we get some dosh to fix the boiler or something) due to the differences in finances between the premiership and championship, after all with the likes of Upson and Lucas Neail(not sure on spellin and can''t be arsed to look it up) reportedly on 60,000 - 70,000 a week can the club afford to keep there squad intact?

Perhaps his absence from the West Ham team has contributed to their current league position?

We are all so quick to judge and pass comment on Ashton but at the end of the day he was an excellent player for us, and our Club''s form last season when he was here, ability and ambition didnt match his.

Still, 8 months in to this season he hasnt kicked a ball due to his injury, but is sitting at home counting his premiership salary.Good luck to him, whatever he chooses to do in the remainder of his career. He came here, did his bit and has left. History.....

[quote user="Grumpy "]No, just that the bloke is an unprincipled t*****.  [/quote]Come off it Grumpy, stop living up to your name!The guy has the potential to be every inch the new Shearer and maybe more, i don''t think anyone doubts that. What right do we have to begrudge him his chance? He needs to be in the prem to continue progressing. Shearer was lucky in a way because he was only at 3 clubs all his career that he never needed to move from to stay in the top flight. He had time to develop and progress at each club. Ashton hasn''t had that. In an ideal world we would have stayed up and held on to him for another season or two before he would no doubt have secured a bigger move than the one he got to West Ham. But now he has found himself injured and unable to play and right in the middle of the train wreck that is West Ham. He needs to get out of there and i don''t think you can blame him or call him unprincipled for that.

[quote user="Grumpy "]No, just that the bloke is an unprincipled t*****.  [/quote]

what are you talking about? i wish people like you would would just disappear, you are a complete discrace to our club, calling anyone be it poster,player or former player a t***** is un-acceptable!

In reply to jdungos, in your enlightened new labour world democracy and free speak is o.k only if you approved or sanction the comments first. And it you agree to the comments then it is only if it is on line with your thoughts.