Sign in to follow this  
Hog

So just how good is Martin?

He''s good, but how good? Could he be the next big thing, the next Sutton or Walcott, and if so, what are the chances of us actually keeping him. Your views please.

He Could just be the new bellamy, lets not get ahead of ourseleves but he is  only 18 and his goal record speaks for itself, dare i say it, it''s better than Earnshaw''s! That is  3 goals in 4 league starts, and 4 goals in 5(3) games!  Not bad hey, let''s just not put too much pressure on him  and get him on  a contract!

Not sure about the next Wallcott - players like that are increadibly rare and he doesn''t have the same pace. Sutton was an entirely different kind of player. It''s difficult to compare him to be honest. There''s no reason why he can''t be a top class striker if he continues to develop but other players have burst onto the scene and then not carried it foward eg Danny Cadamarteri (spelling?).

The early signs are great and here''s hoping he fulfills his potential and becomes the next Norwich superstar!

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

He Could just be the new bellamy, lets not get ahead of ourseleves but he is  only 18 and his goal record speaks for itself, dare i say it, it''s better than Earnshaw''s! That is  3 goals in 4 league starts, and 4 goals in 5(3) games!  Not bad hey, let''s just not put too much pressure on him  and get him on  a contract!

[/quote] Good point - he is more like Bellamy than Sutton or Wallcott I would say! He certainly doesn''t seem to be affected by pressure at the moment but then maybe that''s because there isn''t that much currently! Let''s keep it that way!

When a youngster comes into the first team it almost always immediately obvious whether they are good enough to make it.

Henderson wasn''t

Fox was, Sutton was, Bellamy was,

Martin is

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"][quote user="Matt Hudson"]

[/quote] Good point - he is more like Bellamy than Sutton or Wallcott I would say! He certainly doesn''t seem to be affected by pressure at the moment but then maybe that''s because there isn''t that much currently! Let''s keep it that way![/quote]So who would we compare him to? I''ve seen very litte of him but he''s not really a pace player is he? Pace is a big part of Bellamy''s game. And he''s not a target man. Perhap''s he could be an Andy Cole type, even Van Nistelrooy (ok ok, let''s not get ahead of ourselves!) but he does seeme to share those player''s absolute instinct when anywhere near the goal. Right place right time, fox in the box, that kind of player.

He''s looking pretty special at present. Will be interesting to see what happens over the Summer and next season.

I don''t think he''s the next Walcott - Walcott is a very promising player but he''s having trouble getting goals at Arsenal.  Having said that, it''s Arsenal, so fair play.

The thing is that young, talented goalscorers get picked up very quickly these days.  Walcott played about 13 games for Southampton before he was snapped up.  Cotterill played for Bristol City for 48 matches, 14 of those as a sub, and scored 8 goals for them.  If Martin continues to score for the rest of the season, we might get an offer or two in the summer of the type that Wigan offered for Cotterill. 

Dare I say it but Martin is actually being played rather than being confined to bit-part roles in the wrong position like Henderson. PG has had the courage to give him his chance- see that the talent is there and give it a go. NW would never have done that. Mind you with earnie, Brown and thorne all out PG didn''t have much choice did he?

he''s closer to sutton for me, great ball control and awareness in the box.  he''s not got the pace of earnie or bellers, and for a young boy has great stamina.  was amazed by the running he did on his blackpool debut on a heavy pitch.  he''s now playing twice a week - great testament to him.  last season in reserve games, i didn''t think too much of him, but basically he''s physically matured and how.  he''s an intelligent player, and makes great runs and gets into good positions.  he made the third goal against barnsley easy, by making a far post run unopposed and leaving hucks the simple choice of passing to him to score.  like bellers, he does the simple things well, and so makes it look easy.  i hope he improves and stays with us for as long as poss.

The proof is in the pudding. He''s scoring goals, he''s good. When (if) he stops scoring goals, he'' not so good.

[quote user="ridgeman"]The one good thing about Martin is that he is a team player - unlike Earnshaw - and we seem stronger as a team with eleven players supporting each other.[/quote]

Excellent point that, couldnt agree more. Martin has the potential to be norwich''s best player for a long while. Hopefully the board can see this and reject all approaches because he seems like he wants to stay.

Martin today showed me that he is class. His goal was amazing.

For someone of his age, he could have had a dig a rash shot at goal, but instead cooly laid the ball to hucks who had space on the wing, then dropped back post, and neatly nodded the pinpoint cross into the net.

He is awesome in the box and can hold the ball up and lay hucks in. 

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"][quote user="Matt Hudson"]

[/quote] Good point - he is more like Bellamy than Sutton or Wallcott I would say! He certainly doesn''t seem to be affected by pressure at the moment but then maybe that''s because there isn''t that much currently! Let''s keep it that way![/quote]

So who would we compare him to? I''ve seen very litte of him but he''s not really a pace player is he? Pace is a big part of Bellamy''s game. And he''s not a target man. Perhap''s he could be an Andy Cole type, even Van Nistelrooy (ok ok, let''s not get ahead of ourselves!) but he does seeme to share those player''s absolute instinct when anywhere near the goal. Right place right time, fox in the box, that kind of player.
[/quote]

He is def more of a Sutton player, but not as much of a target man as he was, and again as you say is not as quick as Bellamy or Earnie, you mention Andy Cole and Van Nistelrooy but i rekon he''s more of a young Alan Shearer!

Either way he''s made a big impact on the team and could be responsible for turning the whole team around with his keeness and enthusiasm to go out every game and prove himself!!!!

So it seems a cross between Chris Sutton and Craig Bellamy, i think we have a talent on our hands!!!

I can''t pidgeonhole Martin but watching the goals against Barnsley he is strong and sturdy for his age, has great awareness of those around him and brings them into the game and can finish. His goal was an example of all this and it''s beauty was it''s simplicity.

He seems to be one of those who makes the game look easy and straight-forward and credit to Grant the team is playing to Martin''s strengths.

[quote user="ricardo"]

When a youngster comes into the first team it almost always immediately obvious whether they are good enough to make it.

Henderson wasn''t

Fox was, Sutton was, Bellamy was,

Martin is

[/quote]

I actually think this is a great point.

If somebody is good they will shine pretty quickly