Sign in to follow this  
tim howard?

why we musnt sell martin

hes been our only youth product to prove himself in the first team for years unlike the jarvis bros,henderson ,spillane,and that long haired prat in our squad none of them have looked at home in a city shirt but martin i think could be the next big thing hesnot as quick as bellamy but i prefer to see him as a more vanistlroy type player hes got an eye for goal and at this rate earshaw will be strugling to get back in to the starting XI.

I, and i''m sure the large majority of city fans agree that we should not sell Chris Martin, but i''m assuming that ''long haired prat'' you''re talking about is Robert Eagle? If it is, i disagree that he can be compared with Henderson and Ryan Jarvis as they both have had many more games than Eagle, and Eagle has impressed me with the few games he has had, obviously bringing in Lappin and the form of Huckerby is making it difficult for Eagle to get into the starting 11, but i''m happy when i see his name on the bench.

Also, how on earth would Earnshaw struggle to get back into the starting 11 when fit?!

[quote user="Canary_Ben"]

Also, how on earth would Earnshaw struggle to get back into the starting 11 when fit?!

[/quote]

Beats me!

Maybe he doesn''t score enough?

and what exactly has Ryan Jarvis done that is so wrong???

Maybe if he made at least 2 consecutive starts sometime in the last 4 years then he would have a goal record to be proud of by now also...  Martin has done very well yes... but he has had much more of a chance over the last few weeks than Ryan Jarvis has ever been given at the club...  I still feel that Ryan Jarvis is well capable of making it as a Championship player and your criticism of him and his brother plus Spillane is a litle unfair.

I, and i''m sure the large majority of city fans agree that we should not sell Chris Martin, but i''m assuming that ''long haired prat'' you''re talking about is Robert Eagle? If it is, i disagree that he can be compared with Henderson and Ryan Jarvis as they both have had many more games than Eagle, and Eagle has impressed me with the few games he has had, obviously bringing in Lappin and the form of Huckerby is making it difficult for Eagle to get into the starting 11, but i''m happy when i see his name on the bench.

[/quote]

Eagle has impressed you? You must be easily impressed then.

He''s got an alright left-foot but he''s extremely light-weight and hasn''t got any pace. He looked nervous and out of his depth.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Maybe if he made at least 2 consecutive starts sometime in the last 4 years then he would have a goal record to be proud of by now also...  Martin has done very well yes... but he has had much more of a chance over the last few weeks than Ryan Jarvis has ever been given at the club...  I still feel that Ryan Jarvis is well capable of making it as a Championship player and your criticism of him and his brother plus Spillane is a litle unfair.

[/quote]

Ryan Jarvis has never taken his chances, that''s what he''s done wrong.

Chris Martin got himself in the team and he made an impact, he''s scored goals and he''s played well. He''s taken his chance.

Ryan Jarvis never ever looked like doing anything for City. He''s lazy, he''s not strong and he''s not quick. He''ll never make it at this level.

This is professional football...you can''t afford to give someone 30 games just because they looked like they might be a slightly good player when they were a kid.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]Agree that it''s a little harsh on some of our youth like Spillane and Eagle, who''ve had very little opportunity in a City shirt... but I think your first sentence should read "what exactly has Ryan Jarvis done??" Like, ever.  Apart from a wonder-goal against the Scousers and a hat trick for a Division 3 side...

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Chris Martin got himself in the team and he made an impact, he''s scored goals and he''s played well. He''s taken his chance.

Ryan Jarvis never ever looked like doing anything for City. He''s lazy, he''s not strong and he''s not quick. He''ll never make it at this level.

This is professional football...you can''t afford to give someone 30 games just because they looked like they might be a slightly good player when they were a kid.

[/quote]

Ryan Jarvis had players of the calibre of Huckerby, Ashton, Svensson, McKenzie, Crouch, Iwan & Co in the pecking order ahead of him.  Ryan has never made two consecutive starts for City since he was 16 years old... do you really call that giving a promising young player a fair chance???

Chris Martin has done well (but he has only got his chance because we are currently so short of strikers).

How many goals would Chris Martin of scored if put in the same position as Ryan Jarvis has found himself in?

I will tell you how many... NONE... he wouldn''t of even played a game for the first team yet more than likely.

YES Chris Martin is looking good... but Ryan Jarvis has at least as much potential if not more!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ryan Jarvis had players of the calibre of Huckerby, Ashton, Svensson, McKenzie, Crouch, Iwan & Co in the pecking order ahead of him.  Ryan has never made two consecutive starts for City since he was 16 years old... do you really call that giving a promising young player a fair chance???

Chris Martin has done well (but he has only got his chance because we are currently so short of strikers).

How many goals would Chris Martin of scored if put in the same position as Ryan Jarvis has found himself in?

I will tell you how many... NONE... he wouldn''t of even played a game for the first team yet more than likely.

YES Chris Martin is looking good... but Ryan Jarvis has at least as much potential if not more!!!

[/quote]

Yeah yeah. Heard it all before.

I think the current regime and the previous have both looked at Ryan Jarvis and come to the conclusion that he just doesn''t look good enough.

I''ve seen him on the training pitch, I''ve seen him turn out for the reserves and I''ve seen his limited appearances for the first team and he''s always looked totally ordinary (at best).

I still think Chris Martin has got a bit to do but at least he looks like he can, and has started to prove he can ,deliver.

[/quote]

i agree, i think that eagle is a good player. he might not be confident enough to shoot yet but to be a good player you do not did to score goals!!! if grant played him more, he would become more cofident and then maybe start scoring goals. That is why we need to start supporting him not booing him off!!!!!!!!

Heard an interesting story on FRiday night - a friend coaches a local youth side and knows that one of the most talented players he has seen was on norwiches books,  until they played the arsenal equivalent when he again impressed - this time enough to be offered a the chance to traion at the other colney;  understandably he and his parents jumped at the chance - the boy isnt even a teen yet... 

With this sought of thing going on its a miracle any of our players make it through the ranks..

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well everyone says give our new signings a chance to bed in, so why should be different for Jarvis, its about confidence, he has never had a run. So how many chances are you prepared to give Brown to bed in.

[/quote]

[/quote]

so by ur reasoning a youth player has to make an immediete impact to be considered a decent prospect? alrite its been a bit of a slow start to jarviss norwich career but i think just because he hasnt com in and scored goals and goals as soon as hes on the pitch does not mean hes necessarily a bad player. he doesnt need 30 games, jst a chance which is something a lot of youth players dont seem to get at this club (danny crow).

also, the original point about spillane and eagle looking like theyr never going to acheive anything hear is abit harsh. has spillane even played for the first team yet? the boy is captain of his country at his age and wev been hearing good things for years. he, and eagle who in my opinion has done pretty well wen played, deserve more of a chance than ''didnt score 10 goals strait away and dont care about the club''.

Why do so many people seem to think that giving young players games will actually make them quality professional footballers?

It seems that both Jarvis brothers, Eagle, Spillane, Cavey and whoever else are all brilliant footballers being denied their chance by people who can''t see that they are infact a bunch of world beaters.

It just doesn''t work like that. Only 1 or 2 out of hundreds of wannabes become the real deal. What makes people think at Norwich we''re sitting on a pot of gold when it comes to talented youth players?

The only way you bring through a number of high quality of youngsters at a time is if you have a setup like Man Utd or West Ham. And we all know Norwich aren''t on that level.

At the moment we''ve got two youngsters in my opinion who have a good shot at making the grade, Chris Martin and Joe Lewis.

You can''t afford to carry players at any level of football, especially not this high up the pyramid and that''s exactly what you do if you put youngsters in who are just not ready.

I know lots of people won''t care for my views because we all, including myself, want to see our home grown players do well but I''m not going to make myself see something that just isn''t there.

I like the fact the PG is loaning out some of these players.

Frankly it gives the guys a chance to show what they can do in the lower divisions.

The expectation of NCFC with 24,000 crowds every week should be playoffs at a min.

If these young players cant make it in the lower levels because of either talent or attitude then frankly we dont need them.

Football players know that this game is all about making the most of a chance given.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

I like the fact the PG is loaning out some of these players.

Frankly it gives the guys a chance to show what they can do in the lower divisions.

The expectation of NCFC with 24,000 crowds every week should be playoffs at a min.

If these young players cant make it in the lower levels because of either talent or attitude then frankly we dont need them.

Football players know that this game is all about making the most of a chance given.

[/quote]

Very valid point. If the young players flit between the reserves and a bit part for the first team then you will never discover their real potential. It is important that they are loaned out where possible to see how they fair in competetive football ( other than reserve matches ). It will be interesting to see if Ryan Jarvis has improved after his experience at Leyton Orient if he gets another chance here.

''hes been our only youth product to prove himself in the first team for years unlike the jarvis bros,henderson ,spillane,and that long haired prat in our squad none of them have looked at home in a city shirt but martin i think could be the next big thing hesnot as quick as bellamy but i prefer to see him as a more vanistlroy type player hes got an eye for goal and at this rate earshaw will be strugling to get back in to the starting XI.''  

Earshaw?? Has he had his ears pinned back for extra speed??

Why is Eagle a prat?? Ok he''s not a wonder kid but he hasn''t let anyone down when he''s played and I think he could have a good future ahead of him. I''ve also been very impressed with Spillane when he''s got a game! I think Joe Lewis and Jason Shackell have also done pretty well!