Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

In Praise Of The Board!.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Putney Canary"]

Is it Earnshaw, who you said would get sold in January?

I''m not trying to be rude here, but what point are you trying to get a debate going with?

[/quote]

Okay Putney, fair point, so I''ll go over it again!.

Most City fans expected, myself include, that Earnie would have been sold in January, but for his serious injury.

Its my opinion, that this would have funded transfers in that window, when this transfer didn''t happen, the board backed their new manager with just 60 bloody grand!!.

And no, like thousands, I don''t know where the money''s gone either!.

Their prudence policy rules all judgements at Carrow Road now. From hireing a cheap, untried and untested manager to buying cheap, crap players (Brown Fozzy etc)

Our board are ruining us as a football club, it''ll soon be better known as a resturant run by Delia Smith and a hotel stuck on the corner!.

I''m fed up with her ''little old Norwich'' mantra, do you ever hear Karen Brady say that about Brum?. No!. Smith and Jones have to go, until that glorious day, nothing will change.

Now, I wonder if  Smudger and Cluck will allow me back in their gang?.

[/quote]

Wizard...the nice thing about being a free thinker is that you don''t need a "gang".  I always enjoy your posts because they challenge the accepted norm and bring out some good arguments (I even enjoy the insults [;)] ). Smudger too has my utmost respect because he maintains his stance and will not be brushed aside by the usual avalanche of disapproval any dissent seems to attract. This also goes for the "other side"..... and I happily respect a number of those posters who regularly have a pop at me as "individuals"...but that respect stops abruptly with the "pack".

Don''t be deterred Wiz....as being "right" is nowhere near as important as being honest. Maybe if we saw a bit more of that around here instead of the usual point scoring...we might just make progress!        [Y]

Re the Board...unfortunately it seems that we cannot criticise them about the "missing money" etc. without being accused of calling them "dishonest". DS and her cronies have not been "dishonest"...but they are seriously guilty of ineptness, amateurishness and downright arrogance. They "own" the club and don''t we bloody know it....and in due course the tide of sympathy will turn....and Delia Smith will leave a hate figure among the fans. Personally I can''t wait for the day she walks away...and we can all have our football club back playing football. Not too much to ask I don''t think...........

Regarding the comments about several teams dominating over the last decade.I wonder how different our club history would have been if we had won the premiership in its first season instead of finishing third?

You mention a figure of 60k for transfers, but we spent more than that, and the figure doesn''t include wages. You do know we have one of the highest wage bills in the league? Sometimes I think some people don''t count the wage bill as an expense! In the modern game, it is very common for much more money to be spent on wages than on transfer fees. And also common for agent''s fees to equal or be bigger than transfer fees. If you look at ALL the expenses, it might answer your question about the ''missing money''.

As for Grant being cheap and inexperienced, certainly yes to the inexperienced and probably to the cheap (but remember everything is relative). But don''t you think the team is looking better since the transfer window? I think Grant needs more time before we can judge him, at least 10 games into next season when he has had a chance to bring in more players of his choice.

As for the restaurant, why is this such an issue? Most clubs run restaurants and corporate hospitality, especially in the Championship and above. Don''t you think that having a nationally recognised Chef on the board can only help Norwich run one better? It makes a good profit doesn''t it?

I HATE the fact that such things as restaurants and hotels are becoming part of the modern game, but they are at most clubs around the country because to play at the top level takes more money than you can earn from gate receipts and the tv money given to Championship clubs. For this I blame the way the game is run, and therefore believe the fault is 100% with the FA.

[quote user="Chunky"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

There have been some brilliant replies to this thread , whilst some others have just been petty, personal, vindictive and wildly off subject!, but thats message board life for you I guess!.

I see its branched out now to include a much wider spectrum of arguements, which, whilst interesting in itself, is drifting away from my original point, which in case you''ve forgotten, the NCFC board and its obsession with  prudence over ambtion.

Smudger & Cluck, whether we like it or not, have been right all along in my opinion, we are in a mess!, and all because of this board. I accuse them, in particular Delia Smith, of miss-management, appointing the wrong manager, and worshiping the God called Prudence.

And all this takes precident to ambition.

Can we please just stick to that debate?, otherwse, they get off  Scott f ree..............hmm?...............maybe thats the plan.

Branston:

My apologies for wrongly having a dig at you, sorry for the slipup.

[/quote]

1st Wizard, your points you made in your original post are very well founded. But have you put the same points in a letter to the board? You may feel that they will go un-noticed and a nice cosy letter will be sent back. But if all people took the same effort and time to construct a sensible well founded argument to the board, they may take notice. Just a thought.

[/quote]

Ist Wizard, if I argued with you and said you were posting rubbish you would respond. I ask you again, have you written to the board. Or do you just post your thoughts on here to get a response because you do not have the balls, crystal or otherwise, to write to and question the people you are complaining, with some justification I may add, about?

[quote user="Putney Canary"]

You mention a figure of 60k for transfers, but we spent more than that, and the figure doesn''t include wages. You do know we have one of the highest wage bills in the league? Sometimes I think some people don''t count the wage bill as an expense! In the modern game, it is very common for much more money to be spent on wages than on transfer fees. And also common for agent''s fees to equal or be bigger than transfer fees. If you look at ALL the expenses, it might answer your question about the ''missing money''.

As for Grant being cheap and inexperienced, certainly yes to the inexperienced and probably to the cheap (but remember everything is relative). But don''t you think the team is looking better since the transfer window? I think Grant needs more time before we can judge him, at least 10 games into next season when he has had a chance to bring in more players of his choice.

As for the restaurant, why is this such an issue? Most clubs run restaurants and corporate hospitality, especially in the Championship and above. Don''t you think that having a nationally recognised Chef on the board can only help Norwich run one better? It makes a good profit doesn''t it?

I HATE the fact that such things as restaurants and hotels are becoming part of the modern game, but they are at most clubs around the country because to play at the top level takes more money than you can earn from gate receipts and the tv money given to Championship clubs. For this I blame the way the game is run, and therefore believe the fault is 100% with the FA.

[/quote]

Totally agree with everything you say.

[quote user="Chunky"]

Ist Wizard, if I argued with you and said you were posting rubbish you would respond. I ask you again, have you written to the board. Or do you just post your thoughts on here to get a response because you do not have the balls, crystal or otherwise, to write to and question the people you are complaining, with some justification I may add, about?

[/quote]

.Sorry Chunky, I''ve been defending myself against the ar**eholes on here!, no I haven''t written letters, I prefer the ''whites of their eyes'' aproach! I''ve spoken to Delia, mono a mono, twice now, and Mumby, three times, all to do with this very subject. On all 5 occassions waffle was used in abundance.

Okay?.

[quote user="Two Tails"]Regarding the comments about several teams dominating over the last decade.

I wonder how different our club history would have been if we had won the premiership in its first season instead of finishing third?
[/quote]

Well, Leeds won it the year before.... so maybe we''d be doing as well as them? [;)]

[quote user="Two Tails"]Wizard,

I have had this opinion for a while, whereas you seem to change your mind about the club on a weekly basis. Smudger is consistant with what he says.

[/quote]

Totally agree!.

As Smudger and Cluck are two of my hero''s, I''m not bothered.

Could we all get a little bit real here? One season in the Premier does not leave us awash with cash - particularly after so many in Division One, where EVERY season is a loss making one.And when have we consistently played good football? We had a couple of decent years under Mike Walker and that is that. Yes, we like to play pretty football, and have often done so in the past but where is this idea that we had some kind of ''golden years'' coming from? We have never had the kind of success some of you seem to be alluding to. We are a medium sized club who will forever bounce between mid-table Championship and mid-table Premiership unless someone comes in with a large amount of cash. Get used to it.

Not a problem. I hoped you would have approached them directly. As I stated earlier, there is a problem and it does need rectifying sooner than later. I am not in favour of mass demos, but a well constructed, intelligently led campaign would be a better way forward.

To watch the demise of this club has been painful. I do not know the answers, but all we can do is hope that a reversal of our fortunes, whether under a new board or not comes our way very soon.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Putney Canary - Fair point re the wage bill. Are you happy with the fact that we have one of the smallest squads, and one of the highest wage bills in the league, given our league position/some of the dross that has been dished up?

[/quote]

That suggests to me ambition before prudence is the case here which also proves that simply throwing money at players is not always the answer.

That in itself would also suggest that to replace the existing board with one that spent more money on the team would''t neccessarilly guarantee success!

[quote user="ob1"]

[quote user="Two Tails"]Regarding the comments about several teams dominating over the last decade.I wonder how different our club history would have been if we had won the premiership in its first season instead of finishing third?[/quote]

Well, Leeds won it the year before.... so maybe we''d be doing as well as them? [;)]

[/quote]Good point :D

[quote user="ob1"]

[quote user="Two Tails"]Regarding the comments about several teams dominating over the last decade.I wonder how different our club history would have been if we had won the premiership in its first season instead of finishing third?[/quote]

[/quote]A prime example of a team with ambition over prudence!!!

[quote user="Big A"][quote user="ob1"]

[quote user="Two Tails"]Regarding the comments about several teams dominating over the last decade.

I wonder how different our club history would have been if we had won the premiership in its first season instead of finishing third?
[/quote]

[/quote]

A prime example of a team with ambition over prudence!!!
[/quote]

oh so why is that then???

If Martin O''Neill hadn''t felt inclined to be an admirable sort of fellow and honour his contract at Leicester then Leeds Utd would of probably become a bigger club than they ever were during the 70''s.

Instead they had to put up with Ridsdale bankrolling an absolute fool like David O''Leary... that is why Leeds find themselves where they are today!!!

Funny enough Aston Villa now have O''Neill... let us see over the next few years if Larner gives him the backing if O''Neill can crack the dominance of thos top 3 or 4 clubs (I for one would not bet against him doing so).

We only have to look closer to home to see what continually bankrolling a manager that can''t take you any further can do for a clubs fortunes don''t we Delia???

[quote user="1stwizard"]

[quote user="Two Tails"]Wizard,

I have had this opinion for a while, whereas you seem to change your mind about the club on a weekly basis. Smudger is consistant with what he says.

[/quote]

Totally agree!.

As Smudger and Cluck are two of my hero''s, I''m not bothered.

[/quote]

I am consistent TWO TAILS because I have seen nothing or very little from the club to warrant me changing my opinion.

WIZ calm down you have me all hot and flustered now...  [:$] 

Like Cluck always says I post what I think regarding issues surrounding the club and am not particularly bothered if people feel inclined to throw abuse at me for the views I hold.  You always try to say what is on your mind WIZ and even when your opinions have differed from mine I think that you have the right to change your mind (especially when so many people question your views in the first place).

It takes a strong person to remain firm in their beliefs (and there are many individuals on both sides of the debate who fall in to this category).  You keep saying what you believe WIZ and don''t ever feel the need for anybody to be in your corner to back you up for you to come out fighting...  You always have that right to say what is on your mind!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Big A"][quote user="ob1"]

[/quote]A prime example of a team with ambition over prudence!!![/quote]

If Martin O''Neill hadn''t felt inclined to be an admirable sort of fellow and honour his contract at Leicester then Leeds Utd would of probably become a bigger club than they ever were during the 70''s.

Instead they had to put up with Ridsdale bankrolling an absolute fool like David O''Leary... that is why Leeds find themselves where they are today!!!

Funny enough Aston Villa now have O''Neill... let us see over the next few years if Larner gives him the backing if O''Neill can crack the dominance of thos top 3 or 4 clubs (I for one would not bet against him doing so).

We only have to look closer to home to see what continually bankrolling a manager that can''t take you any further can do for a clubs fortunes don''t we Delia???

[/quote]That whole post is a manipulation of the truth just so that you can bring it back around and take a shot at NCFC.  Full of inaccuracies.  We all know that the situation at Leeds was mismanagement throughout the hierarchy.  Starting (and ultimately finishing) with Risdale and the Board!!!  Risdale wasn''t bankrolling anydoby!, the creditors were.  I''ll never forget Risdale personally thanking HSBC for funding the Ferdinand transfer.  It was clear that the club were sanctioning transfers that were not sustainable.  Like i said, it was blind ambition over prudence.But don''t let the truth get in the way of your vendetta against NCFC!  Are you honestly saying you would prefer to be Leeds right now?  NCFC has ambition, no doubt, the difference is the board have to deal with REAL MONEY, not the monopoly money that some on here like playing with!

[quote user="Big A"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Big A"][quote user="ob1"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That whole post is a manipulation of the truth just so that you can bring it back around and take a shot at NCFC.  Full of inaccuracies.  We all know that the situation at Leeds was mismanagement throughout the hierarchy.  Starting (and ultimately finishing) with Risdale and the Board!!!  Risdale wasn''t bankrolling anydoby!, the creditors were.  I''ll never forget Risdale personally thanking HSBC for funding the Ferdinand transfer.  It was clear that the club were sanctioning transfers that were not sustainable.  Like i said, it was blind ambition over prudence.

But don''t let the truth get in the way of your vendetta against NCFC!  Are you honestly saying you would prefer to be Leeds right now?  NCFC has ambition, no doubt, the difference is the board have to deal with REAL MONEY, not the monopoly money that some on here like playing with!

[/quote]

Whenever other clubs are compared to the inept showing of DS and her cronies....the most extreme cases are always brought forward. In this case it is Leeds with their ridiculously poor business plan, with loans apparently secured on the future 20 years of season ticket sales....and when talking about removing DS from her post ...the famous Hearts mafia debacle is the reason DS should be allowed to remain in place.

How about a bit of sanity here....and not always these ludricrous scenarios used as examples for "no change" at CR?

And just one final point...who is it that really cares about what happens to this once proud club? Is it the "no change" merchants who would let the club die rather than take any risks whatsoever...or those who seek real progress and view risk as a positive in order to prosper?  There is "risk" and "risk"......and without courage being shown at NCFC we are set to stagnate. Enter Delia Smith and her Prudent Puppets..........

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Putney Canary - Fair point re the wage bill. Are you happy with the fact that we have one of the smallest squads, and one of the highest wage bills in the league, given our league position/some of the dross that has been dished up?

[/quote]

Of course not! But if Worthy''s gamble had paid off, and we had been top of the league, I wouldn''t be complaining! It was Worthy who was given budgets with which to manage the club, Worthy who decided who to bring in and on what salary, and Worthy who has lost his job as a result of the poor results. Thats the managers job.

Grant has a HUGE job on his hands, he will have to reduce the wage bill whilst increasing the squad size whilst also moving on some unsuccesful players. He has made a small start to this job, and improved things, given time I am quietly confident he can get things back on track. But measuring our clubs turnaround by inacurately stating transfer figures only whilst railing against other income generating lines of business gets us nowhere.

Meanwhile I''m delighted with the win over Brum, my girlfriend and her family are bluenoses, and the inlaws arrive tomorrow fora couple of weeks ;-) OTBC!

[quote user="Big A"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Big A"][quote user="ob1"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That whole post is a manipulation of the truth just so that you can bring it back around and take a shot at NCFC.  Full of inaccuracies.  We all know that the situation at Leeds was mismanagement throughout the hierarchy.  Starting (and ultimately finishing) with Risdale and the Board!!!  Risdale wasn''t bankrolling anydoby!, the creditors were.  I''ll never forget Risdale personally thanking HSBC for funding the Ferdinand transfer.  It was clear that the club were sanctioning transfers that were not sustainable.  Like i said, it was blind ambition over prudence.

But don''t let the truth get in the way of your vendetta against NCFC!  Are you honestly saying you would prefer to be Leeds right now?  NCFC has ambition, no doubt, the difference is the board have to deal with REAL MONEY, not the monopoly money that some on here like playing with!

[/quote]

Who is to say that we won''t be in Leeds position this time next year?  There is more chance of that than us finishing in the play-offs next year. 

Who would of said at the beginning of this season that Leeds would of finished bottom???

As for Leeds "sanctioning transfers that were not sustainable" how close were you to what was going on at Elland Road at that time???

I lived in Leeds during that time and constantly took the pee out of them giving a c**p manager (O''Leary who they all loved to bits at the time but aren''t so keen of now) millions to waist on the likes of Danny Mills, Michael Duberry, Michael Bridges Seth Johnson and Jason Wilcox who clearly were not worth the money O''Leary spent on them.

The re-signing of David Batty and willingness to let Olivier Dacourt perform week in week out below acceptable performance levels were also mistakes that O''Leary made.

Rio Ferdinand & Robbie Keane (class players) but worth £40million back in 2000/01????

The majority of Leeds fans have been able to tell that in hindsight it all fell apart at Elland Road the day George Graham left (shortly to be followed by one of the players who had shot them to the semi-finals of the UEFA cup... Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink).  They fell from grace not because they spent too much money but because they placed too much money in the hands of a fool.

They continued to back this fool (like we did to some extent with Worthy) until it was far too late.  They then replaced him with Peter Reid (hardly an inspired choice).  Reid took things from bad to worse signing a load of second-rate foreigners (et la Brian Hamilton) before Eddie Gray took the reigns trying to steer Leeds away from the foot of the table to no avail over the last few months of the season.

You use the LEEDS EXAMPLE to try and back up your arguement... all I have rightly done is pick holes in what you have said...  Leeds never went down and in to adminsitration just through investing too heavily in their playing squad BUT BRCAUSE THEY GAVE FAR TOO MUCH MONEY TO AN ABSOLUTE FOOL TO SPEND!!!

Ask Leeds fans now what they think of O''Leary also ask the Villa fans what they think of him.... I think that both sets of fans would agree with my opinion and so would the majority of the rest of the footballing community so it seems....

That is why O''Leary has NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND A JOB SINCE!!!

[quote user="1stwizard"]

Congratulations to Delia et al!.

After 50 plus years of active support of

NCFC, you have finally killed my love of footy. With your damn

prudence, prudence and yet more ruddy prudence, I went out sightseeing

around Norfolk yesterday, rather than have anything to

do involving NCFC.

You and your fellow croonies have all but destroyed my

enthusiasim for the game , and although I never agreed

with your ''safe option'' appointment of an untested manager, I

expected you to at least back him with hard cash in

January.......... . and what did we get?

Yes, no doubt, I''ll becalled a glory hunter or fairweather fan on

here by supporters who don''t really know what ''hard times'' at

Carrow Road are all about. And this is the sad

thing....................I no longer care!, and why should I?.

Why should I continue to get upset every game?, or feel angry about

our superb fans being taken for a ride when our best players are

flogged off, only for us to be told later that the money been

already been budgeted for!.

I''m totally sick of that old chestnut!.

And it seems to me that the board has more concern for a bloody

hotel than 3.000 more fans in the ground, thats not football, thats

asset stripping, and sheer ignorance!!

Well to hell with it Smith and friends, you don''t deserve the fans support anymore.

Although I personally am still against demostrations (untill we''re

safe!) at any other club you would have been run out of office by now,

its a crying shame that sometimes our fans are just too damn nice.

So, congratulations again, I''m sure you''re proud of yourself!.

PS. I see the debt has increased.......  again!.

[/quote]

Hello Wiz, I can understand your pain... 50 yearz of supporting NCFC is

more than any mortal man need be put thru!! Am I right in quoting that

I read the other day that Delia said something like.. "She was willing

to sell har and hubby majority shareholdings, if the buyer invested in

the team and only if"? Kinda says it all really in my mind... they dont

want to invest anymore money in the team... so lets hope someone will

buy em out!!! Take kare my friend!! :D

To get back to the original point of this thread, I found last night very entertaining, exciting and very much worth the entrance fee. And, unfortunately Wiz, you missed one of the best goals that I have ever seen at Carrow Road, glorious strike....what a legend!!

OTBC!!

[quote user="Strangers All"]Oh dear, with Cluck & Smudger getting all the attention, I was suprised it took Mr Wiz so long to seek the limelight..... again!.  [;)][/quote]

As Cluck & Smudger stand their ground and never back down, I''m happy to stay in their shadow, and to be mentioned in the same sentance as them.............is an honour!!.

Both, are the lifeblood of these boards.

And, unfortunately Wiz, you missed one of the best goals that I have ever seen at Carrow Road, glorious strike....what a legend!!

But I didn''t miss the goal! MP, and yes, it was truely great, but.....................

Would you agree that his volley at MK Dons was better?, I think it was.

And I''ll say this, I''m sure that goal last night will keep us in the Championship!.

I thought that his goal against Cardiff in what was at the time his last game on loan for us where he picked the ball up in our half and ran the length of the pitch, similar to last nights goal in some ways, but the cardiff one was just pure pace and power that took him through, last nights was more skill.He made an awesome partnership with Iwan.

Certainly makes his top five in my opinion.

1. Cardiff at home
2. Wigan at home
3. MK Dons away
4. Brum at home
5. Arsenal away

And the two against Blackpool weren''t bad either.

Lappinitup - I would agree up to a point but you have only latched on to one part of the equation (the high wage bill) and conveniently ignored the "smallest squad" part of the equation. I would suggest that throwing money at the right players would be a good policy to adopt. I hate to use Derby County as an example given the antipathy towards them, but I will anyway!!. Three players spring to mind Teale, McEveley and Jones, all signed from Premiership clubs in a bid to help Derby mount a promotion challenge, a big gamble?, I would say absolutely but three saleable assets if the gamble does not pay off.

All I am asking from the board is that they back the man they picked as manager of Norwich City with cold hard cash to enable him to build his own squad, capable of mounting a promotion push.

Do not get me wrong, I feel we are starting to move in the right direction and I remain ever hopeful that the summer will see a flurry of activity (both with players coming in and players leaving). But if  it does not happen, in my opinion it will be yet another opportunity missed and a very good benchmark for measuring the ambition of the board. We hear a lot from posters regarding how much the off field activities bring in to the club, lets see some of this money being invested on the most important facet of Norwich City FC.

One misconception is, I fear, that big money transfers= big risk. I don''t accept that that is necessarily the case. In our case the three most recent high profile tansfers (Huckerby, Ashton, Earnshaw) were not risks at all because unless they were totally mismanaged there was almost no way that NCFC would not have a saleable assets on its books which would be capable of being sold at the same or greater value. So, if we go/stay up we win because of TV money. If we go down from the prem we get the sale proceeds which in the case of Ashton made us a tidy profit, should we need to realise some of that value. Thus heads you win, tails you win.

No, the risk to me lies at a lower level. It lies with the Andy Hughes type player- a cool half a million but which could go either way, but is unlikely to go up much. If you fritter away too much on £0.5m players you soon get to the sort of level which would buy you a guaranteed performer who could be the difference between mid table and play offs.

Further down, the Lappin type player is virtually risk free apart from the wage overhead but you will never lose huge chunks of capital as they come cheap. In many ways at that level the only way is up, but you can''t build a Prem-aspiring  team with purely that level of player coming in unless you get very lucky.

Our Board have used the three big transfers above to back up their preparedness to invest. In fact that is a fallacy because of the low nature of that risk if done selectively and on the right types of player and not at over inflated wages. Our Board have positioned themselves seemingly in that dangerous middle ground where you could easily spend significant money but see it all shrivel and die.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

One misconception is, I fear, that big money transfers= big risk. I don''t accept that that is necessarily the case. In our case the three most recent high profile tansfers (Huckerby, Ashton, Earnshaw) were not risks at all because unless they were totally mismanaged there was almost no way that NCFC would not have a saleable assets on its books which would be capable of being sold at the same or greater value. So, if we go/stay up we win because of TV money. If we go down from the prem we get the sale proceeds which in the case of Ashton made us a tidy profit, should we need to realise some of that value. Thus heads you win, tails you win.

No, the risk to me lies at a lower level. It lies with the Andy Hughes type player- a cool half a million but which could go either way, but is unlikely to go up much. If you fritter away too much on £0.5m players you soon get to the sort of level which would buy you a guaranteed performer who could be the difference between mid table and play offs.

Further down, the Lappin type player is virtually risk free apart from the wage overhead but you will never lose huge chunks of capital as they come cheap. In many ways at that level the only way is up, but you can''t build a Prem-aspiring  team with purely that level of player coming in unless you get very lucky.

Our Board have used the three big transfers above to back up their preparedness to invest. In fact that is a fallacy because of the low nature of that risk if done selectively and on the right types of player and not at over inflated wages. Our Board have positioned themselves seemingly in that dangerous middle ground where you could easily spend significant money but see it all shrivel and die.

[/quote] Now that you put it in these terms it is obvious.  I had not seen it from that perspective .

Point well made.