Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

OK, Lets see what this forum thinks...

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="ricky knight"]

[quote user="followthegreenandyellow"]personally if she wasnt here with us this forum would not be up and running as we would have no club, did that ever cross the peoples minds, shes not a billionaire, she hasnt got millions and millions of pounds to give to a club where managers squander everything they ever have, so yes she should stay with the utermost respect, however, i do believe its time for another book![/quote]

Rubbish. simple as.

[/quote]

How is it rubbish? Christ some people have short memories

IN!
[/quote]

It''s rubbish because we would still have NCFC without Delia! Pure and simple

I think Delia should stay as part of the club as she is norwich through and through but we need someone who is going to bring big money in, like Mandaric at Leicester.

our point is Delia has not got the clout to run a club of this size, if she cant afford it, she should go. Any ailing business needs investment, she has taken us within her budget, its not enough. I cant stand this small club, poor millionaire spin she gives, if you cant hack it sweetheart, on your bike.

The whole debate is possibly a little too bi-polar, none the less a more considered view might be as follows.

At the AGM the joint majority share holders made it aware they would consider an offer for the control of the club if it was forthcoming. Subsequently the female half of that equation has also made it known that in her opinion she wouldn’t want to sell to some rogue of an overseas investor

From here you then have to ask how is this all going to happen? In my opinion it is incredibly unlikely that it will done through the media, this season has been quite hard enough and with a precarious league position to consider, any sort of negotiation will almost certainly be done behind closed doors. As and when there is something for the supporters and share holders to know we will be told.

Therefore we may well see some activity during the closed season and I hope beyond all hope they do indeed sell their shareholding and in the context of this thread ‘leave’. In my opinion they are well past their sell by date having made grave errors of judgment which has cost the club dearly undermining a lot of the good work they did previously. More importantly by weak leadership and management they have created a rift between supporters that will take a long time to heal.

For the record it is entirely inaccurate to think there would be no club without the current incumbents. Several times in the past I have mentioned that other suitors came forward and it was Geoffrey Watling that acquired Chase’s share holding before selling on to the current incumbents. Anything to the contrary is pure fallacy following the line of spin chanted like a mantra for over a decade.

Time to go Smith and Jones

In, In, In.  Delia is helping to develop the club.  Look away from the football, which I agree is woefully inadequate at the moment and look at the business side of things.  Successful restaurants, successful conference venue and probably soon to be a successful hotel; we own most of the land around the club including our own stadium.  We have a manageable net debt, which is more like a mortgage than a debt.  We have a youth system with academy status that now the travelling rules are being relaxed has a very real chance of producing talent again.  This is the infrastructure of the club, this is the bit that Delia and Co (Incl. Doncaster!!) ARE getting RIGHT.

Yes the football side is rubbish and yes our league position is utterly unnacceptable.  But we can work on this when the infrastructure starts kicking into place.

Please though can all the posters onto this thread stop harping on about beating Bayern and finishing 4th in the league.  That was nearly 15 years ago.  Stop Stop Stop regressing back to the past.  Forest, Villa and Ipswich have all won european cups, league titles and european cups and look at them.  Football, Delia, Norwich City, whatever, lets concentrate on now and tomorrow.   Forget yesterday, it was just a nice memory.

That said though, and to totally contradict myself........If there is a russion billionaire with a few roubles burning a hole...........or if Bernard wants some replacement turkeys........... 

[quote user="Bury Green"]

The whole debate is possibly a little too bi-polar, none the less a more considered view might be as follows.

At the AGM the joint majority share holders made it aware they would consider an offer for the control of the club if it was forthcoming. Subsequently the female half of that equation has also made it known that in her opinion she wouldn’t want to sell to some rogue of an overseas investor

From here you then have to ask how is this all going to happen? In my opinion it is incredibly unlikely that it will done through the media, this season has been quite hard enough and with a precarious league position to consider, any sort of negotiation will almost certainly be done behind closed doors. As and when there is something for the supporters and share holders to know we will be told.

Therefore we may well see some activity during the closed season and I hope beyond all hope they do indeed sell their shareholding and in the context of this thread ‘leave’. In my opinion they are well past their sell by date having made grave errors of judgment which has cost the club dearly undermining a lot of the good work they did previously. More importantly by weak leadership and management they have created a rift between supporters that will take a long time to heal.

For the record it is entirely inaccurate to think there would be no club without the current incumbents. Several times in the past I have mentioned that other suitors came forward and it was Geoffrey Watling that acquired Chase’s share holding before selling on to the current incumbents. Anything to the contrary is pure fallacy following the line of spin chanted like a mantra for over a decade.

[/quote]

Does that mean she should take a hike then

It depends on the alternatives Alex. She has put money in over the years which we have benefited from but she does run things as if the club was her own hobby. I am greatful for what she has done but if someone could come in with much more money and a football brain rather than a fans passion then we should go for it. We will never be a Premier League Club with Delia as things stand.

Ideally she should stay on the Board and get in a new Chairman.

So my answer is YES she should step down as Chair if there is some money man to come in.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

So my answer is YES she should step down as Chair if there is some money man to come in.

[/quote]

But surely Mr P R Mumby is Chairman now?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

in the 90''s it was "norwich city- passing football and hard to beat!" now its "Norwich city.. come have a cuddle with Delia!" and thats the wrong attitude. we are a football club, not a business center. hotels, Travel agents, Car Dealers, Resturants.. thats where the money has been pumped into... not on the 11 men who pull on the jersey.

jas :)[/quote]Oh my god - your arguments are so mixed up jas! On the one hand you''re bleeting about resources not being made available to the manager, then you complain about the club diversifying and growing its income streams. Not a business centre? Er, wake up! We HAVE to run as a viable business and to treat ourselves as a business if we are to survive. That''s what ALL successful football clubs do. The travel business, restaurants, financial products etc are all there for ONE purpose and one purpose only - to generate income for the football club. Which can then be spent on the squad and further enhancing facilities to grow our income such as the stadium and the academy. p.s. any thoughts on this yet? http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/3/878971/ShowPost.aspx#878971

Out, Out, Out!!!

Not that you needed myself, Cluck or Wiz to answer this post... but that is the inevitable answer for all 3 of us anyhow for what it is worth!!!

[quote user="Smudger"]

Out, Out, Out!!!

Not that you needed myself, Cluck or Wiz to answer this post... but that is the inevitable answer for all 3 of us anyhow for what it is worth!!!

[/quote]

well well.. we knew you and cluck were one and the same..

but the wiz??

surely not! I have always believed he is his own man!

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

in the 90''s it was "norwich city- passing football and hard to beat!" now its "Norwich city.. come have a cuddle with Delia!" and thats the wrong attitude. we are a football club, not a business center. hotels, Travel agents, Car Dealers, Resturants.. thats where the money has been pumped into... not on the 11 men who pull on the jersey.

jas :)
[/quote]

Oh my god - your arguments are so mixed up jas! On the one hand you''re bleeting about resources not being made available to the manager, then you complain about the club diversifying and growing its income streams. Not a business centre? Er, wake up! We HAVE to run as a viable business and to treat ourselves as a business if we are to survive. That''s what ALL successful football clubs do. The travel business, restaurants, financial products etc are all there for ONE purpose and one purpose only - to generate income for the football club. Which can then be spent on the squad and further enhancing facilities to grow our income such as the stadium and the academy.

p.s. any thoughts on this yet? http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/3/878971/ShowPost.aspx#878971
[/quote]

and wheres it getting us? all these business ventures are seeing us slip down the divisions. yes you have to run a footballo club as a business.. not a business Center as a football club.. too much time has been spent on off the field activities that we are now suffering on the field for it...

And growing the Acadamey? its under this current regime that the academy has all but died! dare i say it look at Ipswich. how can they produce the likes of Bent, Ambrose and Haynes in recent seasons and we go a long time before pushing Talent through... Joe Lewis has never played for us.. we are only now seeing the likes of Eagle and Martin... Spillane has been in the 1st team squad a while but is never seen in a match day side..

I read in 4-4-2 magazine that Brighton Field 8 players brough through their academy every week... why cant we do that? if a club with no money and no stadium can push through young talent (Dan Harding at Leeds came from Brighton, and Celtic paid the Seagulls 1.5 million pounds for Adam Virgo) then why are our board not focussing on the same?

what would u rather have? A rich league 1 side or a poor premiership one?

Get to the top flight and stay there and the board can have all the business ventures and money they want.. but they should of invested in the squad to get to the premiership first of all...

jas :)

The focus is again on the wrong person. Delia Smith is just one person on a board. The question shouldn''t be about her, but the collective, unless anybody who posts on here knows what the political make-up of the board is like and who pulls the strings daily (and I mean in reality rather than in imagination), then no one person should be singled out. Or do some fans know the name of a celebrity on the board but struggle with the lesser-known names, who may in fact keep lower profiles but be more involved in the making of incorrect decisions.

As others have said, even the question of whether the board should step down or not is moot because without an offer on the table for their shares, it doesn''t matter whether some people want them gone or not.

Maybe I''m old-fashioned, but I think to a man (or woman) they are all good people, genuinely interested in working for the best interests of the club, and as such I think we should treat them with respect.

As to their competency, that''s the interesting question. And well worthy of a debate or two. Once all the silly bile and childish name-calling is over and done with.

On the plus-side, they have given us stability in the wake of the Chase departure. They presided over a successful promotion campaign (although like any on-pitch scenario, good or bad, I attribute that to the manager and players). And the non-footballing revenue has increased dramatically with creative revenue-streams being regularly developed.

On the minus-side, they treated Mike Walker poorly and never gave him a chance to see the side that he had begun to put together find their feet (Iwan, Flem, Eadie, Bellamy, etc), they have presided over an unsuccesful period since the promotion campaign, they kept faith with Nigel Worthington for far too long which allowed him to decimate our squad to its current level and left us with so little in the transfer and wage kitty that Peter Grant is struggling to keep us up, let alone turn things around.

My feeling is that with this board we have stability. They will provide funds commensurate with a mid-table Championship side. Perhaps we should be doing better in that respect when you consider the ticket revenue that must be coming in. But, without knowing how much we are still paying in wages to players who got lucky with a fat contract they have failed to live up to, it''s difficult to say. If we''ve paid 2 grand a week over the odds on 5 or 6 contracts that still have time to run, that probably knocks out the advantage we have over clubs of a similar stature but with lower crowds. And I don''t attribute that to the board as a mistake. On the contrary I applaud them for leaving the decision on this to the manager. The fact that he made poor choices is irrelevant. He was the football expert, so they let him make the decision. They should have sacked him after he failed to replenish the squad with the money from Ashton. But then, I''d rather have a loyal board than one that changes managers every five minutes.

So are they competent? I think so. With a good manager City can get promoted. With a bad manager they can get relegated. We''ll never go bankrupt with them, although I don''t know whether we''ll ever break into the Top 10 of the Premiership either, no matter how good the manager, because we are so far behind now in the cash race, and the board don''t have the funds to compete, through no fault of their own. They''re ambition and view of the club''s standing may be a little less competitive than some would like, and possibly I agree, but pushing the finances that extra yard doesn''t guarantee success. Perhaps they thought they were being ambitious when Nigel Worthington asked them for a bigger wage deal than they may have been comfortable with for 32 year-old Peter Thorne or 30 year-old Matthieu Louis-Jean and they agreed. Decisions like that can come back to haunt you and we''re still paying these people now, so the mistake is still reverberating. They''ve made mistakes, but I don''t feel the need to punish them for it, because they were all honest mistakes made in good faith. So I back the board. And I''m grateful that we have them and not some others.

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="Bury Green"]

[/quote]

Does that mean she should take a hike then

[/quote]

Read the last part of my post, its time for her to go and has been for some time

The main point in my writing is it isn’t quite as simple as some people seem to think that she can just be sacked or will just walk away.  One way or the other somebody with deep pockets will need to buy her and her husband / partners controlling interest in the club.

Ergo, even if she wants away and the majority of fans do too, it is entirely possible she won’t be able to and will have to soldier on.  To me that is a very worrying situation for the club indeed considering how damaging the last chapter has been already hence my post.

OUT.

It was a nice novelty to start with having a celebrity coming in and investing in the club, but now, for me it has worn off.  The novelty has gone and for all Delia''s love of the club, we will never move forward with her still here.

I also believe that Delia''s presence at the club is putting off potential investers.  Just my 2 pence worth.[:)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Smudger"]

Out, Out, Out!!!

[/quote]

well well.. we knew you and cluck were one and the same..

but the wiz??

surely not! I have always believed he is his own man!

[/quote]

We are definetely all 3 seperate people Nutty... anybody that doesn''t think otherwise needs to get their faculties in order....

All 3 of us have disagreed with each other on certain matters...  Look at the little war that Wiz and Cluck had the other day!!!

[quote user="1st Wizard"]OUT, and like NOW![/quote]

I answered for you Wiz (up above)... not that you, myself or Cluck really have any need to respond to this thread...

Surely the whole of Norfolk and much wider far flung places know the 3 stooges feelings on this matter by now???

[quote user="jimmy500"]

Yes from me.  I am encouraged by the steps the club are making to make profit out of non-football related ventures.  I also admire Delia''s passion and am prepared to forgive her mistakes as a result.

Under Delia our club is slowly moving in the right direction, and I am talking infrastructure not football.  Get the infrastructure right and the football will surely follow.....

[/quote]

Non-FOOTBALL infrastructure will destroy our FOOTBALL club. By the time all the non-FOOTBALL projects have swallowed all our money the only direction we will be going is down down down and not slowly.

FOOTBALL must come first at Carrow Rd.

NO from me

[quote user="Canary02"]

The focus is again on the wrong person. Delia Smith is just one person on a board. The question shouldn''t be about her, but the collective, unless anybody who posts on here knows what the political make-up of the board is like and who pulls the strings daily (and I mean in reality rather than in imagination), then no one person should be singled out. Or do some fans know the name of a celebrity on the board but struggle with the lesser-known names, who may in fact keep lower profiles but be more involved in the making of incorrect decisions.

As others have said, even the question of whether the board should step down or not is moot because without an offer on the table for their shares, it doesn''t matter whether some people want them gone or not.

Maybe I''m old-fashioned, but I think to a man (or woman) they are all good people, genuinely interested in working for the best interests of the club, and as such I think we should treat them with respect.

As to their competency, that''s the interesting question. And well worthy of a debate or two. Once all the silly bile and childish name-calling is over and done with.

On the plus-side, they have given us stability in the wake of the Chase departure. They presided over a successful promotion campaign (although like any on-pitch scenario, good or bad, I attribute that to the manager and players). And the non-footballing revenue has increased dramatically with creative revenue-streams being regularly developed.

On the minus-side, they treated Mike Walker poorly and never gave him a chance to see the side that he had begun to put together find their feet (Iwan, Flem, Eadie, Bellamy, etc), they have presided over an unsuccesful period since the promotion campaign, they kept faith with Nigel Worthington for far too long which allowed him to decimate our squad to its current level and left us with so little in the transfer and wage kitty that Peter Grant is struggling to keep us up, let alone turn things around.

My feeling is that with this board we have stability. They will provide funds commensurate with a mid-table Championship side. Perhaps we should be doing better in that respect when you consider the ticket revenue that must be coming in. But, without knowing how much we are still paying in wages to players who got lucky with a fat contract they have failed to live up to, it''s difficult to say. If we''ve paid 2 grand a week over the odds on 5 or 6 contracts that still have time to run, that probably knocks out the advantage we have over clubs of a similar stature but with lower crowds. And I don''t attribute that to the board as a mistake. On the contrary I applaud them for leaving the decision on this to the manager. The fact that he made poor choices is irrelevant. He was the football expert, so they let him make the decision. They should have sacked him after he failed to replenish the squad with the money from Ashton. But then, I''d rather have a loyal board than one that changes managers every five minutes.

So are they competent? I think so. With a good manager City can get promoted. With a bad manager they can get relegated. We''ll never go bankrupt with them, although I don''t know whether we''ll ever break into the Top 10 of the Premiership either, no matter how good the manager, because we are so far behind now in the cash race, and the board don''t have the funds to compete, through no fault of their own. They''re ambition and view of the club''s standing may be a little less competitive than some would like, and possibly I agree, but pushing the finances that extra yard doesn''t guarantee success. Perhaps they thought they were being ambitious when Nigel Worthington asked them for a bigger wage deal than they may have been comfortable with for 32 year-old Peter Thorne or 30 year-old Matthieu Louis-Jean and they agreed. Decisions like that can come back to haunt you and we''re still paying these people now, so the mistake is still reverberating. They''ve made mistakes, but I don''t feel the need to punish them for it, because they were all honest mistakes made in good faith. So I back the board. And I''m grateful that we have them and not some others.

[/quote]

Spot on in your analysis.Canary02. The Board has the club''s interests at heart and that includes Delia, so my vote is IN. However, the Board''s performance has to improve on the past three season and they must inject some good footballing ''nous'' into the make-up of the Executive. Perhaps someone of the ilk of Dave Stringer who can vet the footballing decisions; and someone with a bit of raw business skill who can negotiate hard deals with agents. I think a background in publishing lifestyle magazines is not the best preparation for managing a football business, so they need to get someone ''on board'' with the requisite skills.

Yellow Hammer