Sign in to follow this  
tramplad

Grant will lead us to divison two

Players he has brought in are not better than the ones he inherited. Worthinton got more from the players. its down hill from here.

[quote user="viper"]

Players he has brought in are not better than the ones he inherited. Worthinton got more from the players. its down hill from here.

[/quote]

Thank you for that Nigel.

Best wishes for the Swansea job.

[quote user="viper"]

[/quote]

Positive little soul arent you? lol [;)]

thought you would at least be able to spell your surname correctly Nigel. lets do a quick comparison, Etuhu, Robinson v Fozzy, Lappin. i know who i prefer

[quote user="inspector"]thought you would at least be able to spell your surname correctly Nigel. lets do a quick comparison, Etuhu, Robinson v Fozzy, Lappin. i know who i prefer[/quote]

More to the point:-

Etuhu Fozzy V Safri Etuhu

Who does Grant prefer??

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="inspector"]thought you would at least be able to spell your surname correctly Nigel. lets do a quick comparison, Etuhu, Robinson v Fozzy, Lappin. i know who i prefer[/quote]

More to the point:-

Etuhu Fozzy V Safri Etuhu

Who does Grant prefer??

[/quote]

more comments like this and I will beleive the original poster may be correct in his judgement.  Tactically Appalling so far from Grant.

there''s no such thing as division 2...grant can only lead us there if he has a time machine...and if he does have a time machine, i suggest july 2004 might be worth thinking about

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Which do you think he prefers CJF?

[/quote]

who cares, either way the passenger gets a game...  At least we know Safri is up to the job of two players much of a game, can Fozzy??

[/quote]

Grant has this to say about Etuhu :-

"He''ll be touch and go," said Grant. "And people ask me why he gets to play every week, I think that he showed against the best that he''s up there with the best - it''s just a matter of giving him that confidence and that belief. So I''m desperately hoping that he''s fit because I''ll still change the team for somebody like him because he deserves to be in the side for his performances."

What does he see that you don''t?

huck tastic there''s no such thing as division 2...grant can only lead us there if he has a time machine...and if he does have a time machine, i suggest july 2004 might be worth thinking about......

Swallowed the commercial FA/FL "spin" hook line and sinker then?  Easy meat.

Grant has this to say about Etuhu :-

"He''ll be touch and go," said Grant. "And people ask me why he gets to play every week, I think that he showed against the best that he''s up there with the best - it''s just a matter of giving him that confidence and that belief. So I''m desperately hoping that he''s fit because I''ll still change the team for somebody like him because he deserves to be in the side for his performances."

What does he see that you don''t?

[/quote]

Who cares....  He was lambasted for all the same reasons here that he was at his last club (who laughed all the way to the bank and are not missing him one jot... in fact they climbed the league on selling him)

Peter Grant took 10 games to realise Yousseff Safri (a player whom when grant has not picked him we have not won) was a better bet than the now departed crapper Bobinson.  18th in the league tells me a fair few players in the team are not up to the job - Dickson Etuhu is one of them.

Hopefully Etuhu will prove me wrong, but one good game in the last 15 (which we lost 4 nil) just aint good enough from this tower of apathy.

I will try and answer my own question then!

I guess in Etuhu Grant sees a player who wants to play every game, even when injured. He probably sees a player who is fit, strong and capable of playing box to box effectively. He can defend and can be a goal threat at the other end. For all the criticism he has scored more than Safri and always looks like scoring more than Safri.

I personally don''t buy into Etuhu being lazy. He does lose concentration at times but he certainly puts it all in and doesn''t shirk a challenge.

I just checked the stats on the Football Mad site for performance ratings: Safri has been rated in a total of 23 League games and has an average of 6.95. Etuhu has been rated in 29 league games and has an average of 6.86 so those stats show very little between the performances.

This is not an anti Safri post because I think when he has been match fit he has been the best midfielder at the club for the last three seasons. However having seen Fotheringham at Preston I don''t believe he is here to replace Etuhu.

Reading between the lines I am under the impression that Grant see''s the centre midfield being Etuhu plus one other.

I guess in Etuhu Grant sees a player who wants to play every game, even when injured. He probably sees a player who is fit, strong and capable of playing box to box effectively. He can defend and can be a goal threat at the other end. For all the criticism he has scored more than Safri and always looks like scoring more than Safri.

I personally don''t buy into Etuhu being lazy. He does lose concentration at times but he certainly puts it all in and doesn''t shirk a challenge.

I just checked the stats on the Football Mad site for performance ratings: Safri has been rated in a total of 23 League games and has an average of 6.95. Etuhu has been rated in 29 league games and has an average of 6.86 so those stats show very little between the performances.

This is not an anti Safri post because I think when he has been match fit he has been the best midfielder at the club for the last three seasons. However having seen Fotheringham at Preston I don''t believe he is here to replace Etuhu.

Reading between the lines I am under the impression that Grant see''s the centre midfield being Etuhu plus one other.

[/quote]

Good idea. Who needs Horlicks at bedtime while you''re posting such th........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

huck tastic there''s no such thing as division 2...grant can only lead us there if he has a time machine...and if he does have a time machine, i suggest july 2004 might be worth thinking about......

[/quote]If that''s the case, Cluck, then you''ve swallowed it too... as ob1 points out, we''re already in Division 2, by your reckoning... [:)]Easy meat? Nah, it''s quite tough...

[/quote]

Looks like Fozzy/Etuhu it was, or was it Lappin/Etuhu, in fact did the players even know who was playing where?  As for Etuhu, well first 10 minutes well played.  Safri touched the ball more in his 20 minuites than Eboohoo managed in the whole 90 minutes.

[/quote]

Well dare I say it if this is true then maybe somebody else should be given the responsinility of picking the team.  Todays formation was nothing short of a joke and embarrassment by an utterly clueless manager. The board have shown appalling judgement and have made an error that could cost us our position in this division with the appointment of the totally unproven Grant as manager.

Here Nutty:

Gallacher

Colin Doherty Shackell Drury

Croft Safri Fotheringham Lappin

Brown Huckerby

subs
Etuhu
Martin
Hughes
McVeigh
Lewis

Would have put in a better performance than the side Grant picked today.

picking a team is simple. You choose a formation and pick players comfortable in all the positions.  Its no surprise a team with Etuhu in midfield is so consistently losing the midfield battle.

Etuhu doesn''t ''shirk a challenge''????????????????????

You obviously didn''t watch the match today.

He was AWOL for about 80 minutes out of the 90.

Utter, utter, utter rubbish.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

picking a team is simple.

[/quote]Oh dear God.  Did I actually just read this or is my computer broken?

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

[/quote]

If that''s the case, Cluck, then you''ve swallowed it too... as ob1 points out, we''re already in Division 2, by your reckoning... [:)]

Easy meat? Nah, it''s quite tough...
[/quote]

Oh bugger! .........[:)]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

no Grant wont.. we may or may not go down this season.. but i think the future is good under him

jas :)

[/quote]Jas , you are living in dream land. If we go down how can the future possibly be bright under him........ muppet.

CJF

Grant surprised me with his selection today. I thought he would play 442 with Etuhu and Fotheringham in the centre of a midfield four. Don''t ask me what he did play becuase I couldn''t work it out. Maybe a kind of lop-sided 433 but whatever it didn''t work. I heard that Grant said his selection was due to him playing the fittest players.

You post the team you would have played after the game was over. I was under the impression Safri wasn''t fit enough to play 90 minutes and that''s why he was on the bench. That being the case I would have played this team:-

Gallacher... Hughes Doherty Shackell Drury... Croft Fotheringham Etuhu Lappin.... Brown Huckerby. Which to be honest with you was the team I thought Grant would play.

However, if everyone was fit I would play this team:-

Marshall... Hughes Doherty Shackell Drury.... Chadwick Safri Etuhu Lappin... Dublin Huckerby. Subs : Gallacher Colin Croft Fotheringham Brown Martin McVeigh. (7 subs I know but it''s unlikely everyone would be fit at once!)

Jetstream

I did watch the match today and I didn''t think Etuhu was our worst player. I also don''t think he is lazy. I also don''t think he shirks challenges. I do think he is frustrating. I do think he switches off too often. But he isn''t the only one.

I watch from the Barclay End. During the second half I saw him win a header in our box, follow it out, win a tackle, and start an attack and get forward to support. Trouble is he doesn''t do it enough. BUT... he is the only midfielder we have capable of that and I think that''s why Grant rates him so highly.