Sign in to follow this  
comeonsuggett

Chris Brown

What do people think about him?

He has had at best a ''fair'' start to his time with us. I can''t see him scoring lots of goals to be honest. I hope I am wrong. Maybe once he gets his first, more will follow quickly.

When all are fit, I can''t see him being first choice. I would be very keen to see Earny with Chris Martin up front

[quote user="comeonsuggett"]What do people think about him? He has had at best a ''fair'' start to his time with us. I can''t see him scoring lots of goals to be honest. I hope I am wrong. Maybe once he gets his first, more will follow quickly. When all are fit, I can''t see him being first choice. I would be very keen to see Earny with Chris Martin up front[/quote]

Go to page 4.

We did this one to death last week.

I think Chris Brown is very unfortunate that Earnie is injured as he was signed to play alongside Earnshaw which IMO would have worked very well. I''ve been impressed with Brown - his hold up play is good, he wins headers and he has good feet. However he is never going to be prolific in front of goal because of his style of play. Now if Earnie was fit this wouldn''t matter but now there is pressure on him to replace Earnshaw rather than compliment him which is totally unrealistic. Earnshaw''s injury has meant that Brown is on a hiding to nothing in some people''s eyes as they think he should be banging in the goals.

From what I have seen so far Chris Brown looks to be a really good signing. He is the type of player Worthington was trying to sign in the summer. OK, he is not yet a Tim Howard or a Rob Hulse but he is young and I think has the potential to be as good as them. He impressed me at Preston, he works tirelessly for the team and those efforts will be rewarded when he has time to build up an understanding with his team mates. He had three different partners up front on Tuesday. I would imagine he will be up front with Hux tomorrow.

as grant said, he''s raw - he young and has potential.  next 2 years will reveal if he can mature physically and play the target man role.  he''s a battler, and i believe he''ll make, and be a great buy- next year and beyond.  asking him to fill earnies boots is just not on, and city should have got a loan striker in.  the board are guilty of negligence by gambling with NCFC champs status in my view, they''ve had plenty of time to get a sharpshooter in - if we go down, they will deserve to go.

Led the line well today with bu&&er all support from midfield or Martin, so all his efforts we a waste of time,    and based on the first half was miles better than Martin.  Brown Martin does not look like a working partnership (bizzarely the best this season remains thorne hux)

Blew his only chance with a rush of blood and I do have the feeling that he is unlikely to score anytime soon, which is where Martin has a clear advantage. 

[quote user="UEA Canary"]He looked excellent today despite being injured, won every ball in air and worked hard
[/quote]

hehehe what planet are you on???????

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Led the line well today with bu&&er all support from midfield or Martin, so all his efforts we a waste of time,    and based on the first half was miles better than Martin.  Brown Martin does not look like a working partnership (bizzarely the best this season remains thorne hux)

Blew his only chance with a rush of blood and I do have the feeling that he is unlikely to score anytime soon, which is where Martin has a clear advantage. 

[/quote]

Should you just rephrase that ZLF???  ''Chris Brown is a waste of time'' is surely more apt???

[/quote]

Brown missed an easy chance from 6 yards YET AGAIN!

how many games now is it without a goal?

People go on about his performances and he has good touch etc.. Peter thorne has had some excellent performances in the season too.. but him and brown are similar.. neither of them look like scoring any time this year?

I think he''s a waste of money....

jas :)

[/quote]

You are joking arent you?

I''m not one to unfairly critisize players, i like to give players a chance but come on lets be honest he was awful. He didnt win every header, perhaps 1 in 3, or maybe 1 in 2 but every header he won went to nobody (yes there was limited support) but it doesnt mean he should  head the ball in the wrong direction does it. He isnt a goalscorer, never will be.

However,

on a more positive note, CHRIS MARTIN is a legend.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="UEA Canary"]He looked excellent today despite being injured, won every ball in air and worked hard
[/quote]

[/quote]

no no no, of course the average Ryan Jarvis is a whole lot better even though he has never really proved it for many years now has he?

I believe Brown was brought in to act as a provider for Earnie, and has a capability to grab a few goals himself. He holds the ball up well, but at present lacks an outlet to set the ball up for.

until he plays in the role he''s best suited too its hard to judge, but, I expect him to improve and give us options once we have a bigger choice of players available

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="UEA Canary"]He looked excellent today despite being injured, won every ball in air and worked hard[/quote]

[/quote]One thats clearly more sane than yours

He''s all flicks, little layoffs and to be frank very little else.  Trust us to buy a striker who has no idea where the back of the net is ! I''m afraid this club has completely lost its way as far as being able to pick out decent player is concerned.  Why Sunderland reserves for goodness sake ? It was obvious he was going to be at best very ordinary. 

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

on a more positive note, CHRIS MARTIN is a legend.

[/quote]Wow he scored from 2 yards and scuffed another shot what a legend indeed

Earnshaw''s injury has meant that Brown is on a hiding to nothing in some people''s eyes as they think he should be banging in the goals

He''s a striker - isn''t that what he is paid to do !?

I''m sorry but he doesn''t ''hold the ball up well'', not at all.

I''m prepared to give him a chance but...on his performances so far, he''s nothing to write home about and he gives the distinct impression of someone who doesn''t give a monkeys.

Not impressed.

[quote user="Marty"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

no no no, of course the average Ryan Jarvis is a whole lot better even though he has never really proved it for many years now has he?

[/quote]

Think Ryan has proved himself in his last two matches for Leyton Orient... has never been given a fair crack of the whip at Carrow Road... I am sure Ryan would of killed for 6 consecutive starts in a City shirt...  Brown is utter pants and will probably rival Dean Coney as City''s worst ever striker!!!

What is it now???  0 goals in 7 games for Brown???  Not looking good is it???

[quote user="sussexcanary"]

He''s all flicks, little layoffs and to be frank very little else.  Trust us to buy a striker who has no idea where the back of the net is ! I''m afraid this club has completely lost its way as far as being able to pick out decent player is concerned.  Why Sunderland reserves for goodness sake ? It was obvious he was going to be at best very ordinary. 

[/quote]

spot on! we also have to consider why a playoff chasing side have sold a striker to relegation strugglers...

If he was any good he''d be a first team Regular at the stadium of light and not poncing about thinking he''s special at Carrow Road.

Roy Keane isnt stupid. Brown would be well suited to a lower division side.

jas :)

I''m sorry but he doesn''t ''hold the ball up well'', not at all.

I''m prepared to give him a chance but...on his performances so far, he''s nothing to write home about and he gives the distinct impression of someone who doesn''t give a monkeys.

Not impressed.

Woudn''t say he doesn''t give a monkeys he''s just not good enough - end of.

Here is another player who is going to divide the fans. Today Brown looked half the player he had looked on Tuesday night but the service he got today was apalling. Nobody can hold the ball up with their head and the quality of ball played meant at best all he could do was try and flick the ball on to non-existent support. I suppose people may blame the conditions but surely players are aware of conditions when they were aimlessly punting the ball somewhere in Browns general direction.

Brown and Martin got the same service in first half and the one who looked better - not good - was Brown , and by a long way.   He worked for the team and won a fair share of ball which was too frequently lost in second phase as they call it in rugby because he and martin have no natural affinity as a pair and the midfield were sat too deep and too confused about the system.   Brown did not play well but nor did he play badly.

As I have said he never looked like scoring but nor did anyone else, Martin Hux, Doc, Etuhu etc etc, until the coventry defenders made the worst defensive howler since the luton central defenders also gifted us a goal early season. 

Smudger without being there due to your enforced absence what would you know?  

Jas - the only pertinent point you make is that wothout Brown we played the ball on the ground;  and that does mean a lot,  but should not understate that the only good work done in the first half was by Brown and not Martin.

Martin a legend - who is over recting now?   The first half he was anonymous.  The goal he had was reminiscent of those Roberts took in the championship season,  he wasnt going to score without Hux giving it to him on a plate.  He took it well though and I do have doubts whether Brown would have taken it.   He is a very talented youngster who needs developing in the right way - he will be very important for us in the next couple of years

[quote user="Smudger"]

Brown is utter pants and will probably rival Dean Coney as City''s worst ever striker!!!

[/quote]Exactly how would you know, seeing as you never go.

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="Smudger"]

Brown is utter pants and will probably rival Dean Coney as City''s worst ever striker!!!

[/quote]

Exactly how would you know, seeing as you never go.
[/quote]

I go every week and although I don''t always agree with smudger I have to say on this occasion he is spot on.

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Exactly how would you know, seeing as you never go.
[/quote]

He is a low grade wannabe unloaded by Keane because he had no future at this level. We were the only takers and got mugged yet again. Add to this the useless Fotheringham and Lappin...who are classic journeymen and you''re left with a half decent keeper who went back injured....and Chadwick (apparently spotted by Worthington)....who is as inconsistent as the rest. 

Great transfer window Grant....excellent investments Smith.

Bilge. Bugger off.