Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Laughing Stock?

Apologies for thread starting bonanza, but something else has been on my mind recently.Another thing that is used to beat the board is "Norwich have become a laughing stock".I have to question this, and ask what evidence there is for this? Yes, people still laugh about the old "Letsby Avenue" episode, but this has previously not been too much of a problem for most Norwich fans as we thought it just showed how much Delia cared.  In fact, I remember being at Elland Road last season and the otherwise silent Leeds fans nearby deciding they''d bait us by bringing up that incident... only to find a few thousand Norwich Fans stand on their feet and chant "Come On, Let''s Be ''Aving You".  The look on their faces was priceless...But other than that, no one really says much about Norwich City Football Club.  Away fans may taunt, naturally, but when was the last time you saw something in the press slating Norwich?  If anything, Norwich could do with a bit MORE publicity!Leeds get plenty of laughs for their "Europe to League 1 in 5 easy years" antics.Chelsea are still worth a laugh, especially with their £30m flops.West Ham are a good bet for a bit of Red Nose Day mickey-taking.And good old Hearts, they still get a chuckle.These are just a few examples of clubs worse off than us in terms of public image, and it''s interesting to note that all four of them have recently had takeovers by wealthy benefactors with no previous links to the club...Just a thought...

Like it EM - a good list of candidates. You''re quite right, NCFC is only the "laughing stock" of those among us who seem to have no sense of humour, no sense of proportion, in fact no sense - the BO (Board Outers).

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Apologies for thread starting bonanza, but something else has been on my mind recently.

Another thing that is used to beat the board is "Norwich have become a laughing stock".

I have to question this, and ask what evidence there is for this? Yes, people still laugh about the old "Letsby Avenue" episode, but this has previously not been too much of a problem for most Norwich fans as we thought it just showed how much Delia cared.  In fact, I remember being at Elland Road last season and the otherwise silent Leeds fans nearby deciding they''d bait us by bringing up that incident... only to find a few thousand Norwich Fans stand on their feet and chant "Come On, Let''s Be ''Aving You".  The look on their faces was priceless...

But other than that, no one really says much about Norwich City Football Club.  Away fans may taunt, naturally, but when was the last time you saw something in the press slating Norwich?  If anything, Norwich could do with a bit MORE publicity!

Leeds get plenty of laughs for their "Europe to League 1 in 5 easy years" antics.

Chelsea are still worth a laugh, especially with their £30m flops.

West Ham are a good bet for a bit of Red Nose Day mickey-taking.

And good old Hearts, they still get a chuckle.

These are just a few examples of clubs worse off than us in terms of public image, and it''s interesting to note that all four of them have recently had takeovers by wealthy benefactors with no previous links to the club...

Just a thought...
[/quote]

We are a laughing stock because we are seen countrywide as comfy, sweet, ickle Norwich always willing to offer the opposition an easy 3 points!!!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Apologies for thread starting bonanza, but something else has been on my mind recently.

Another thing that is used to beat the board is "Norwich have become a laughing stock".

I have to question this, and ask what evidence there is for this? Yes, people still laugh about the old "Letsby Avenue" episode, but this has previously not been too much of a problem for most Norwich fans as we thought it just showed how much Delia cared.  In fact, I remember being at Elland Road last season and the otherwise silent Leeds fans nearby deciding they''d bait us by bringing up that incident... only to find a few thousand Norwich Fans stand on their feet and chant "Come On, Let''s Be ''Aving You".  The look on their faces was priceless...

But other than that, no one really says much about Norwich City Football Club.  Away fans may taunt, naturally, but when was the last time you saw something in the press slating Norwich?  If anything, Norwich could do with a bit MORE publicity!

Leeds get plenty of laughs for their "Europe to League 1 in 5 easy years" antics.

These are just a few examples of clubs worse off than us in terms of public image, and it''s interesting to note that all four of them have recently had takeovers by wealthy benefactors with no previous links to the club...

Just a thought...
[/quote]

Sorry EM...but I travel up and down the country....and Norwich City 2007 is very much a joke wherever I go. This may have been temperable had the teams'' form been worth talking about....but the truth is we are a poor outfit near to relegation....under the stewardship of a giggly tv cook. I can brush this off after 40+ years of support and join in the banter.....but the image of the club is a laughing stock and the team itself viewed as "camp". It can''t particularly help the players perform....and it doesn''t exactly scare the opposition. We need some steel and guts back around the place....and it ain''t gonna happen under DS.

But don''t you know, when Delia walked on the pitch at half time against Man City and uttered those famous words it was infact the death of our club and the end of the world itself. Or thats what some would like to have us believe [:|]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Apologies for thread starting bonanza, but something else has been on my mind recently.Another thing that is used to beat the board is "Norwich have become a laughing stock".I have to question this, and ask what evidence there is for this? Yes, people still laugh about the old "Letsby Avenue" episode, but this has previously not been too much of a problem for most Norwich fans as we thought it just showed how much Delia cared.  In fact, I remember being at Elland Road last season and the otherwise silent Leeds fans nearby deciding they''d bait us by bringing up that incident... only to find a few thousand Norwich Fans stand on their feet and chant "Come On, Let''s Be ''Aving You".  The look on their faces was priceless...But other than that, no one really says much about Norwich City Football Club.  Away fans may taunt, naturally, but when was the last time you saw something in the press slating Norwich?  If anything, Norwich could do with a bit MORE publicity!Leeds get plenty of laughs for their "Europe to League 1 in 5 easy years" antics.Chelsea are still worth a laugh, especially with their £30m flops.West Ham are a good bet for a bit of Red Nose Day mickey-taking.And good old Hearts, they still get a chuckle.These are just a few examples of clubs worse off than us in terms of public image, and it''s interesting to note that all four of them have recently had takeovers by wealthy benefactors with no previous links to the club...Just a thought...[/quote]EM, i admire your intentions in posting this, and as with most of what you write, i agree with it. But i hope you realise this is just bait for the ''cludgers'' (see what i did there - cluck/smudger!) to come on and tell you why our lot is worse than all of the above because of this that and the other and why they''d far rather be Hearts right now, etc etc.Let''s see!

NEWSFLASH!This just in... football fans up and down the country have begun an unprecedented campaign of taking the p*ss out of each other''s clubs.  Authorities say they are not yet concerned, and they expect the situation to return to normal levels of peace, harmony and love for all shortly.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Evil Monkey"]Apologies for thread starting bonanza, but something else has been on my mind recently.

Just a thought...
[/quote]

EM, i admire your intentions in posting this, and as with most of what you write, i agree with it. But i hope you realise this is just bait for the ''cludgers'' (see what i did there - cluck/smudger!) to come on and tell you why our lot is worse than all of the above because of this that and the other and why they''d far rather be Hearts right now, etc etc.

Let''s see!
[/quote]

Just another example of how a certain section of posters cannot address the issue concerned without attacking others. Not that it worries me...but don''t whinge when it comes back your way.....as I''m sure it will.

Nothing in my post except fact as I experience it....in the real world....

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

Just a thought...
[/quote]

Sorry EM...but I travel up and down the country....and Norwich City 2007 is very much a joke wherever I go. This may have been temperable had the teams'' form been worth talking about....but the truth is we are a poor outfit near to relegation....under the stewardship of a giggly tv cook. I can brush this off after 40+ years of support and join in the banter.....but the image of the club is a laughing stock and the team itself viewed as "camp". It can''t particularly help the players perform....and it doesn''t exactly scare the opposition. We need some steel and guts back around the place....and it ain''t gonna happen under DS.

[/quote]

I too travel up and down the country and discuss football with fans from other Championship Clubs regularly. Most of them say good things about our club and Delia Smith. We are not a laughing stock and neither is she. A large percentage of them do think she is Chairman but then a large percentage of our fans do too. This Club also made a lot of friends in the Premier League and even after what Rudolph described as the "halftime on pitch celebrity karaoke" we still weren''t a laughing stock in the way some posters on here would have us believe.

EM wrote "This just in... football fans up and down the country have begun an unprecedented campaign of taking the p*ss out of each other''s clubs.  Authorities say they are not yet concerned, and they expect the situation to return to normal levels of peace, harmony and love for all shortly."

What a classic post, lol!

The trolls don''t seem to realise that taking the mickey out of each other''s teams is part of football-supporting life. I took the mickey out of my Southampton supporting friend mercilessly when they had Sir Clive Woodward. Nobody has ever ever suggested anything aboutt our team being "camp"- where on earth did that subliminal thought come from?

Any psychologists on here?

Agreed - just about every other club is a laughing stock in fans eyes...

So why do you think we never succeed? Would you rather be like Chelsea or Man United (and I mean the reputation of the team, not the club) where by they are hated and they thrive on it?

Or would rather have little "soft-touch" Norwich City, who no teams ever fear, always punching below their weight yet being satisfied by doing so because we''re only "little old Norwich"?

It''s all in the psychology. Teams don''t fear Norwich anymore.

In terms of Psychology it hasn''t hurt Birmingham to have Karren Brady in charge! Are Birmingham nicey/nicey? Not as far as I know. They do have more money than us though, which is a fact of life, so they are more aggressive in the transfer market.

Cluck wrote "Just another example of how a certain section of posters cannot address the issue concerned without attacking others."

Are you honestly telling me that you don''t get the irony of this statement? Just look at your sign-off quote for the most obvious example. Anyway, that is beside the point, I do think that most people do actually address the issue - ie that we need to start pulling some results together or we are going to be playing in Division 3 next year. In my opinion, it isn''t down to any one thing (not even the evil Delia) but a combination of factors - ie left in a mess by Worthington, trying to get a team performance out of a lot of reasonable players who simply aren''t used to playing with each other, tiny squad exacerbated by injury list and massively dented confidence due to the awful way in which we were relegated from the Premiership and, of course, the occasionally suspect tactics of a manager that is still in the process of learning by mistakes (I would say, tho, that overall I think he has started to make some changes for the better on a limited budget). I simply don''t think that getting rid of Delia would have any positive impact on our current plight (certainly without any viable alternative being proposed) - I know that you do and I respect your opinion but I think that you should understand that this is your opinion and doesn''t immediately make anyone who disagrees with you a sheep/camp or, in Smudger''s words, deserving of seeing their team relegated. We all want to see us pull away from the relegation zone and splitting into a hundred and one bickering splinter groups is not going to help us achieve that.  Lets hope (against hope) that we can start with 3 away points against Luton tonight.  

macdougall''s perm

Cluck wrote "Just another example of how a certain section of posters cannot address the issue concerned without attacking others."

Are you honestly telling me that you don''t get the irony of this statement? Just look at your sign-off quote for the most obvious example. Anyway, that is beside the point, I do think that most people do actually address the issue - ie that we need to start pulling some results together or we are going to be playing in Division 3 next year. In my opinion, it isn''t down to any one thing (not even the evil Delia) but a combination of factors - ie left in a mess by Worthington, trying to get a team performance out of a lot of reasonable players who simply aren''t used to playing with each other, tiny squad exacerbated by injury list and massively dented confidence due to the awful way in which we were relegated from the Premiership and, of course, the occasionally suspect tactics of a manager that is still in the process of learning by mistakes (I would say, tho, that overall I think he has started to make some changes for the better on a limited budget). I simply don''t think that getting rid of Delia would have any positive impact on our current plight (certainly without any viable alternative being proposed) - I know that you do and I respect your opinion but I think that you should understand that this is your opinion and doesn''t immediately make anyone who disagrees with you a sheep/camp or, in Smudger''s words, deserving of seeing their team relegated. We all want to see us pull away from the relegation zone and splitting into a hundred and one bickering splinter groups is not going to help us achieve that.  Lets hope (against hope) that we can start with 3 away points against Luton tonight.  

Macd...I like you as a "person" because you are pretty fair on the whole and can take stick as well as give it out....and I don''t include you in the general "flock".  [:)]   My quote is purely to underline my stance....that to have a go at me is pointless...because I know my own mind and where I''m going based on 40+ years as a supporter. We''ve had umpteen lows as a club since 1962....and I''ve continued supporting. This time though it is very different....and certain fans have their loyalties in entirely the wrong area. At one time the "club" and "Board" were totally seperate entities...but now they have merged and it seems many can''t address one thing without the other being wounded.

Do we support Norwich City the football club?....or do we support the current owner irrespective of our plight? I know where my loyalties remain....but so many now seem confused as to what exactly NCFC represents.

Yes chelsea manu are hated, but hatred doesn''t imply success, just look at a club hated as much if not more than them ... MILLWALL.

ho ho. That''s one variety of stock not seen in any of Delia''s recipe books.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

what do u get when u tickle an Oxo?

Laughing stock

*watches the tumbleweed blow silently by*

jas :)

[/quote]Lol! Thankyou Jas, I think we needed that!