Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

worst away grounds

[quote user="Kathy"]Grimsby has more dog poo than anywhere in the world. I have never seen so much and it is always my overwhelming memory of trips to Blundell Park.[/quote]

I seem to remember this, I think it was a midday kick off for sky and the sun was really low therefore you could''nt really see where you were putting your feet until it was too late.

As for Best grounds the Mcalpine (or now Galpharm) at Huddersfield is quite impressive although cold.

[quote user="theolster"]uea canary-keepmoat stadium? as in the keepmoat stadium doncaster moved into 6 weeks ago?[/quote]That would be correct, obviously I have not seen Norwich play there yet [:P]

After last nite....Its def Luton!

We complain that we have a hotel and a restaurant on the side of our ground! They have a halal butchers, a laundrette and a row of houses!! It was an absolute pig sty, the place in general was dour!! To top it off i was stuck behind a post!!

It made me realise how well of we are!!

I quite liked WBA for the ground and good atmosphere with the homes fans right next to you.  Bradford was quite good for food and pubs and easy to park.

Worse ground well Grimsby would be up there with Palace for reason already mentioned. Must admit I am not a fan of Stoke''s new ground. Pretty souless place with nothing around the area for away fans.

I like Hillsborough, although I''ve never been there as an away fan, so I can''t comment on the away end - looking forward to the last day of the season though (Dad''s an owl, and lives in King''s Lynn, I''m a Norwich fan and live within walking distance of the Hillsborough stadium). If Dad wants to watch, he can either sit with me in the away end, or on his own! Apparently the stadium at Hillsborough is one of the oldest of it''s type - the full cantelever on the north stand was years ahead of it''s time.

The atmosphere for Wednesday against Barnsley this season was excellent (Dad come up for my stag do, so we went to the football first!). The best bit was the half time entertainment. Watching 17 year old twin girls (Twin - see youtube for footage!) shouting obscenities at the Barnsley fans whilst performing their new single was great!

Rotherham and Vale were pretty amusing this season - vast swathes of the stand either missing or overgrown. But that, I guess, shows the overall league position. Felt like a garden shed though!

I agree about the Derby / Stoke / Ikea / MFI stadiums - I work on the Pride Park complex just across the road from the stadium, and it''s as soulless whether there''s a game on or not (we''ve used the management suites for meetings in the past).

To be honest though, I''ve been to a few away games over the last couple of years, and the atmosphere in the Norwich end has always been really, really good, and most times we''d managed to out-sing the opposition. It''s rare that a team comes to us and can say that!

Pitch-wise, Chelski was pretty awful, whereas the surface at Pride Park looks really nice most of the time. I guess millions might make a decent stand, but you still need a great groundstaff.

Ben

I''m suprised no-one has said the Withdean, Brighton. I guess it''s due to the 500 tickets they can allow for away fans, that none of you have actually had the chance to witness just how appauling it is. Even Luton is superior in that Luton has 3 perminant stands and not only 1! :)

The away (temporary) stand sits about 50 yards from the pitch side. Pathetic.

Our garden sheds *really are* bigger than this!  

i am biased but I do rather like Carrow Road. Not so sure about the IKEA stadiums like Derby, Leicester and Stoke. The Coventry stadium looked impressive but was half full and had no atmosphere. I have no idea why people like the Huddersfield Stadium, I think it is souless, OK, so it has a nice arch thing but it is too open. I think the millenium stadium is good. Port Vale and Rotherham are crap. the Blackpool one was poor, it will be good but only when the other half is built!

[quote user="theolster"]uea canary-i take it you have been there then? my mates a donny fan and reckons its superb compared to the old ground the belle vue which i once went to with him and actually quite liked.[/quote]Yes I have been there, was visiting a friend who''s a fan. I hear there was some grumbling about the stewarding and the way the new stadium was being run, my friend says the prices for food and drink are ridiculus, but personally that doesn''t bother me as I never buy anything on match day anyway. I thought the place had good leg room and a nice open feel to it. The atmosphere was pretty damn good as well.

[quote user="Kathy"]Grimsby has more dog poo than anywhere in the world. I have never seen so much and it is always my overwhelming memory of trips to Blundell Park.[/quote]

Gillingham suffers from the same problem. The locals refer to one of the streets near the ground as Dog S*** Alley.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]After last nite....Its def Luton!

We complain that we have a hotel and a restaurant on the side of our ground! They have a halal butchers, a laundrette and a row of houses!! It was an absolute pig sty, the place in general was dour!! To top it off i was stuck behind a post!!

[/quote]

Yeah I was really surprised when I got to Luton last night! Their turnstiles are resident''s front doors! The tannoy system sounded like a £6.99 stereo from Argos.

A wicked atmosphere in the Norwich end all night though - absolutely superb

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Surely there is nothing to compare to the violent, standing, exposed, unsegregated, cages etc grounds of the 70''s.[/quote]Is that a vote for best, or worst, Rude Old? There was something primal about the raw, unvarnished experience, that used to speak to my soul!

worst-  (i) Plough Lane. weeds in the terracing, no cover, no atmosphere ever, howling winds, bad food, forget a half time leak, poor pitch and we always lost. (ii) white hart lane- horrible quiet place with snotty unpleasant supporters who think they were a big club but never made any noise (iii) selhurst park for all above reasons previously posted (iv) QPR- cramped, poor views, no amenities and awful to get to.

best- (i) the older version of St James'' Park (Newcastle, not Exeter) was great when the home crowd was in good voice- great atmosphere and good banter with the locals (ii) Anfield for its spine tingling noise (iii) Reading (Madejski Stadium)- just very civilized really (iv) torquay- basic and with not many facilities really but again just a nice evening out (unless it rains)

Bury, was an absolute dump when I went there.  The terraced end was quite funny.  It was at the opposite end to where the away fans were, behind the other goal.  There must have been about 20 people in the whole stand, and not one of them would stand within about 30 feet of anyone else.  Not one of them moved either, even at half time.  Whether they were statues or not, I don''t know, but they were northern, so that has to account for something.  We won 2-0 in a dreadful game.

Some may disagree but I hated Northampton''s ground.  After walking around the ground for over an hr trying to get a drink and being refused entry by every single bar (except restaurants, where you had to book a table and be sitting there with a meal), we then went into the ground, where they didn''t serve alcohol.  The stands are all strange as well, where they start and stop, the corners are no where near touching and the side stands only seem to go from the edge of the penalty area to the other. 

Not really my favourite ground, but Grimsby holds quite a few memories for me, not only hearing of a Norwich fan pulling a policewoman off a police horse, quality!!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]After last nite....Its def Luton!

[/quote]

Thank God we won...........

For me the new grounds such as at Reading and Huddersfield are like part of an industrial estate...sheet metal and gaudy colours everywhere. Zero character....but gas-mask free toilets slightly compensate I guess.

Layer Road?  Lovely!

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

For me the new grounds such as at Reading and Huddersfield are like part of an industrial estate...sheet metal and gaudy colours everywhere. Zero character....but gas-mask free toilets slightly compensate I guess.

Layer Road?  Lovely!

[/quote]

Boothferry Park....  even better...  Complete with daunting walk past many hundreds of psychotic Silver Cod''s and Monte Carlo''s lining the streets from the Stadium to the City after the game.

I just thanked god that I was with a local and on their side that day!!!