Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

Funniest Moments at a NCFC football match

Another thread aimed at getting away from the bickering. What are your funniest moments from an NCFC match.

Was it chanting Easy against Man utd, or Etherington being sent off by the snake pit? Wat are your favourite moments.

Spending all day with my girlfriend clearing snow from the pitch for a first division game between John Bonds Norwich v Aston Villa. We were rewarded with two free tickets for the match but when we got back to the ground she realised that she had left them at home so I had to pay anyway. I laugh about it now but it weren''t funny at the time. And if i recall correctly we lost!!

My first game on 08/04/87 Newcastle 4-1 Norwich.  Standing at St. James''s, (it was an absolute disgrace of a stadium in those days, dirty, toilets not fit for farm animals and that''s an insult to farm animals etc etc), not many fans where we were.  Iirc Newcastle had poor attendances in those days. 

I''ll get to it eventually, aged 8, standing on some wet concrete behind a crappy metal fence surrounded by, not really surrounded, hardly seemed anyone there and that was my first game, you''d think I''d have been overawed by the numbers of people, some Newcastle fans.  Literally 5 minutes into the first half, this, what seemed to me, old broad Geordie woman screams as Peter Beardsley come close to where we were standing, "come on Peter there''s still time".

Not really funny, but given that since the first minute, the woman in question had been discussing with her companion that she was concerned Newcastle wouldn''t score with time ticking away.  Perhaps she thought the game was only 10 minutes long.

05/02/94 Norwich 2-2 Liverpool, not funny again but a bit obscure.  I was 15 at the time, and had not been to many games, I''ll admit it now, I was sitting in the Barclay end with my dad, and I was a bit overawed by the atmosphere, shouting etc, didn''t really understand some of what the Norwich fans were shouting or why at times.  Nearly pooped myself when Gunn got sent off and people all around me suddenly jumping to their feet shouting something in favour, probably words of support for Gunny.

The obscure bit, was this bloke sitting a couple of rows back from us.  Who, before the linesman put his flag up, even when play was at the other end of the pitch, would scream offside, he got it right I think, everytime, didn''t shout when it wasn''t offside, my dad and me couldn''t work out how he knew every time, as even with a telescope, it would have been impossible to tell some of them from our position/angle. Perhaps it was just guess work.

anyone remenber the fa cup game against dagenham a couple of years ago that we one 1-0 - particular the dagenham physion. must of weighed about 20stone, wearing tiny red shorts? chanting who ate all the pies at him was the funniest thing ive seen at a match.

Early sixties-old Div 2 -playing away at Griffin Park versus Brentford. Canaries score in 90th minute at 3-3 but as ball goes into net ref blows for full-time. Nobody knows whether our goal counts for a 4-3 win or not until about 10 minutes after the teams left the pitch .

Eventually stadium announcer proclaims it''s 4-3 to us .

Here''s one for the oldies . . . in the late ''60s there was a referee called Roger Kirkpatrick who had mutton chop whiskers which appeared to have migrated downwards from his shiny pate, and was rather shall we say portly.  He was the original attention-seeking ref and his running action featured a waist-high knee lift which always brought the house down.

At this season''s Sheff Wed home match, I was sitting in the Jarrold stand next to the away fans and they started chanting "Who''s the w**ker in the pink?" and we all looked round and there in the Barclay stand was a Norwich fan proudly standing up and waving to the Sheff Wed fans in his bright pink jumper.

My first Norwich game for many years at the Madjeski when we got thrashed 4-0.  The only highlight was the superb effort of the paper aeroplane brigade.  Huge cheering as the best plane was about to make it all the way from the main stand past the keeper into the net..........it landed inches from the line.   It was the only time i smiled that day!

at Coventry away in the promotion season.. some fan took great delight in goading me all first half... what was funny was when he was thrown out by his own steward just after half time... his face was a picture!

jas :)

Norwich v Burnley 2002, the premiership results were appearing on the score board Man Utd 1 v 0 Scum that was absolutly priceless. Only thing that annoyed me was the club went and apologised to ipswich????? Does anybody knows what happened to whoever did that?

norwich v oxford at carrow road in 1998/99.

it was at the time where we were spending loads of money on pointless and freaky entertainers before the game. there was a guy in a robot suit who was walking past the oxford crowd towards the barclay end, one of the oxford players in the pre-match warm-up drove the ball straight at the robot''s head at full pelt-it hit!! hilarious.

I believe the guy responsible was lightly reprimanded. The club round it funny but couldn''t be seen to support abusing our rivals!

The chap should''ve had a pay rise if you ask me...

For my brother more than me.

Everton at home in the Premiership season, I come up the tunnel to get to my seat in the lower Barclay and the first thing I see is a sphere of white leather thundering at my head. Fortunately I got my forehead down in time and so it just struck me on the top of my head.

"Jesus! Are you ok?" asks the steward and my brother. "Yeah fine" I reply somewhat surprised because the ball was really travelling.

Then I raised my head back up and my knees gave way and I ended up on my a*se about five seconds after the ball had hit! Genuine delayed reaction!

I was fine straight afterwards and Chris Woods yelled to find out if I was ok because it was him that had been booting balls at Richard Wright in the goal. I gave him a sheepish wave and tried to ignore my brother and the stewards cruel, cruel cackles of derision.

F.A. Cup quarter final (?) vs Southampton away.

There we all stood upon the terracing, and someone (rotund and drunk) staggered out on to the terrace, hit the wet steps and tumbled all the way down to the front knocking people over on his way.

Hilarious.

Another one for the oldies.

At one home game, a lot of baloons were released with notes attached. Whoever found the ballon furthest away from the ground could return the ticket etc etc. As the last balloon struggled up and flew slowly over the uncovered River End stand, someone shouts out '' Come on Busby, you can make it!''

been several

Charlton Home 87? - ref knocked unconcious by protesting Chrlton players

Ipswich Home FAC 83 - Alan Brazil missing an open goal with 2 minutes left and us 1-0 up  

Exeter away FAC 1990 - Police had a ticket barrier outside , aksing people to show tickets before they approached the ground - countless NCFC fans said " why would I get up in the middle of the night to get here and have no ticket " ( you probably had to be there ) 

Liverpool away 1988 - lost 6 -2 we scored in the 88th and 90th minute - standing on the steps waiting to go and watching sad Liverpool fans walking past - disappointed to have let in two goals

Must be loads more  

[quote user="gary "]

been several

Charlton Home 87? - ref knocked unconcious by protesting Chrlton players

Ipswich Home FAC 83 - Alan Brazil missing an open goal with 2 minutes left and us 1-0 up  

Exeter away FAC 1990 - Police had a ticket barrier outside , aksing people to show tickets before they approached the ground - countless NCFC fans said " why would I get up in the middle of the night to get here and have no ticket " ( you probably had to be there ) 

Liverpool away 1988 - lost 6 -2 we scored in the 88th and 90th minute - standing on the steps waiting to go and watching sad Liverpool fans walking past - disappointed to have let in two goals

Must be loads more  

[/quote]

Remember the ref against Charlton. That was superb!

i think it was Derby at home lat season.. one of their players spooned a ball so badly it went over the River end...

the barclay started chanting "oh johnny Johnny, Johnny Johnny wilkinson" that made me laugh lots

jas :)

so many no im thinking about it. recently, wen essien got brought on against us a few weeks ago and shouting "who" wen they anounced who it was.

did anyone see the cov city fans trying to get a mexican wave going on saturday? they tried about 4 or 5 times and eventually one city fan in the jarrold stood up on his own and got a cheer from all the coventry fans.

also, how about every crossbar challenge ever.

The crossbar collapse on Keelan was the first day of, I think, the 73/74 or 75/76 season and at home to Wolves. Recall we lost 2-1 & Paddon had to go in goal. I think!

Does anyone remember away at Barnsley a few years ago when  they had a girl singer as prematch entertainment. She walked around the perimeter singing into her mic and when she got behind the goal where Greeno shooting for Marshall the ball went straight through and hit her making her drop the mic!

You''re not singing anymore!!

Not funny for the girl but I had a little chuckle! [:)]

[quote user="Canary02"]

Everton at home in the Premiership season, I come up the tunnel to get to my seat in the lower Barclay and the first thing I see is a sphere of white leather thundering at my head. Fortunately I got my forehead down in time and so it just struck me on the top of my head.

"Jesus! Are you ok?" asks the steward and my brother. "Yeah fine" I reply somewhat surprised because the ball was really travelling.

Then I raised my head back up and my knees gave way and I ended up on my a*se about five seconds after the ball had hit! Genuine delayed reaction!

I was fine straight afterwards and Chris Woods yelled to find out if I was ok because it was him that had been booting balls at Richard Wright in the goal. I gave him a sheepish wave and tried to ignore my brother and the stewards cruel, cruel cackles of derision.

[/quote]Dammit, that was the last game before I got your brother''s seat for a run of matches! Why couldn''t it have been one game earlier...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Canary02"]

[/quote]

Dammit, that was the last game before I got your brother''s seat for a run of matches! Why couldn''t it have been one game earlier...
[/quote]

What an Evil Monkey you are....