Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

It's now time to ring the changes...

Thank you Nigel for a great season...but it''s now time to change things around.

1) Ian Henderson is probably a very nice chap, but he does not posses the quality on the right side of midfield we need. Perhaps sometime in the distent future.

2) Jim Brennan must feature more. He is a full international...give him his rightful place.

3) Passing is a basic part of football. Norwich City''s passing the last six matches has been appauling! Is it too difficult to pass a ball? We need quality passing through to our forward men. This needs to be emphasized in training and given priority!

4) Paul McVeigh needs resting. He cannot live or earn a place with on one good match in 12.

5) It is about time Mark Rivers was given a run in the team. This guy can cross a ball. How many times have our attacks failed in recent games because of a poor final ball or wasted corner/set-piece? Put your differences behind you both, bury the hatchet!

6) Leon McKenzie should be playing from the beginning. The guy is hungry for goals...give him the chance to score.

7) Let''s play neat, passing, attacking football from the 1st minute, not the 78th!!!! When they do pass and attack, Norwich look fantastic. We all know you can do it!

8) Well done to all the fans....you''re great!

That''s it...I''ve got my bit off my chest. Anyone agree/disagree?

I agree with most of what you say apart from re-introducing Rivers. There is no way that he will have the passion and desire needed at this final hurdle. The last time I saw him he was hit by Heckinbottom and we never saw him for the rest of the game.

Team for stoke has to be as follows

green

edworthy mckay fleming drury
rivers holt mulryne easton
huckerby mcveigh

The reason being that this is the team that had the fantastic run in 2 seasons ago getting us to cardiff apart from 2 changes eds for kents and hucks for iwan. Neison and mcveigh worked as 2 small quick strikers so should hucks and mcveigh. This teams got the experience of a run in like this come on worthy give it a go.

ps subs
crichton brennan francis roberts mckenzie

pps f@@k off svenson!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think we should play rivers on the right and put mcveigh on the left
Mcveigh is better on his natural side he played there against gillingham, set one up, scored one and was envolved with the earning of the free kick from the first.
Ok everyone has a bad game just swap him for brennan!

What do people think about greeno for england
and what about the svensson Roberts who starts battle?

I agree with almost all you say. Our problem is we have a very good manager....... and I have a very high regard for him.....but he was a cautious defender by nature. His excellent playing career with Leeds, Sheffield Wed and as captain of Northern Ireland ( 60 plus caps! ) was built on trying to keep clean sheets and then nick a goal or two. His instinct when in the lead is to ''keep it tight'' and grind out a result. How often has he said this lately?

If you want an example think back to the play -off final in Cardiff. We go 1-0 up with 25 mins to go so Nige takes off McVeigh and put on Sutch to kill the game. Big mistake. The rest is history.

Nigel needs to go for it this time not try to hold on to what we have. We need to go out to get an early goal in each of the last 9 games not aim to be 0-0 at half time and play in the second half or when we go a goal down. Fortune favours the brave....Lets see Mckenzie because he''s a goalscorer who can win you the game himself ( Portman Road?)......lets grab the initiative in games by scoring FIRST.....and lets go for experienced players like Brennan and Cooper rather than playing promising youngsters out of position. How long is it since we went in ahead at half time ?

I''m so desperate for us to go up it hurts.......and I think the club and Board deserve it......but if we don''t I don''t want to be lookimg back and thinking it was because we were too negative in the run in. 5 wins and we''re there I reckon but we have to grab the intitiative in games from minute 1. If we''re positive we''ll do it. Come on Nigel......think like John Bond or Ken Brown for the last 9.....both got us up by being attack minded and scoring not sitting back.

Rivers? The last time he beat a winger before delivering a quality cross was about two and a half years ago. He''s not the answer.

Cooper looked handy on Saturday. I''m guessing he will start on Saturday ahead of Henderson. And whoever told Svensson where to go - you''re an idiot, get behind any player in the yellow and green.

Rivers? Christ no. Look on CanaryWorld in the interactive vid section and look at Rivers'' last ''assist''. It bounced off his foot vs Grimsby on the opening day of the season 2 years ago.

Bloke, it was in the 2nd half when we were 1-0 down, which I think was Mr Carrow''s point. Why be cautious from the first minute and wait till half time or when we are losing the game?
Going 3-3-4 for the final quarter of any game that you are a goal down in is very dangerous. Doing it in the first half gives you plenty of time to adjust if need be, I don''t mean 3-3-4 though. I run a Sunday team and when we have a hard game I normally go 3-4-3 in the first half. If we get a few goals then I go back to 4-4-2.

It already looks like the skipper might not make the Stoke game, so Brennan at left-back and McVeigh on the left in midfield sounds like the obvious answer on that side. I would start with Cooper on the right, and two from Mullers, Holt and Francis in the middle. (Depends if Worthy thinks Stoke pose more of a physical threat, in which case he might go for Francis ahead of Mullers). As for the two up front, perhaps it''s time for Robbo to start again with Hucks, as in the Blunts game. The back four as usual (with the addition of Brennan in Drury''s place, if needed, and Shacks to replace Flem if he doesn''t make it). Any other ideas, anyone?

MPR and Scott Johnson...

I last watched Mark Rivers against Portsmouth at Fratton last season. He was by far the best player on the park...he set up the goals and chances including scoring one himself!

His crosses were superb and he made Matthew Taylor (Pompey left-back) look silly...dominating him all night. Alright, I know this was one game but he is a confidence player. I am convinced that if the team and fans get behind him, he will deliver.

One thing worth remembering is our GD is worth an extra point.

We need to keep solid and not concede too many goals.
If you look at the table we just need 3 wins to be a lock.
No club chasing will get 80 points.

Ringing huge changes is a mistake although I do like bringing players in on loan which can shake things up.

mr francis first you team,the defence yes i agree, holt ,huckerby,mcveigh yes but rivers ,easton,mulryne, no rivers i went to watch him in a reserve game down at colney ,he was taken off he was slow,did not tackle and he didnot care wether he was on the pitch or not,thats why worthy has left him out.easton and mulryne they are ok for 20 mins but they dont give 90 mins afraid. .

Would love to see Brennan back but fear his silly feud with worthy may prevent it lets just hope they can put their differences on hold until the end of Season for everybodys sake

Franco, what silly feud between Brennan and Worthy? I had an inkling that something was up when he wasn''t on the bench on Saturday but haven''t read anything else about it. Any enlightenment?

Dear Bloke,

I think the answer to your question is in your own words - ''in the second half'' - so yes it is cautious.

When did we last have a first half lead ? Coventry away on 14th February I reckon. 6 games ago and its now nearly April. For a table topping team this suggests a bit of a cautious mindset is developing and I don''t think its helping.

OTBC.

Rivers is a complete no, no as a starter. I doubt he''d be fit enough to last a full game anyway. Yes, he had a good game against Portsmouth last season, but that''s just the point, he lacks consistancy.

Whatever changes are suggested for Saturday, three points are worth mentioning. First, ending the game with four forwards on the pitch, as we did on Saturday, gave the team an unbalanced look.

Secondly, Huckerby with McVeigh upfront, may be the most skillful attacking option, but if we go down that route, we must avoid the long balls upfront, otherwise, we''ll come unstuck, witness Bradford with Hucks and Leon.

Thirdly, if the midfield sit too deep, as was the case in the first half at Palace, your front two, whether Hucks with Iwan or Svennson, become too isolated, and the ball comes straight back at the midfield and defence.

Your third point, Gazza, points precisely to what I was trying to say on another thread yesterday. Now is the time to take the bull by the horns, so-to-speak, and be proactive in our approach to games, not reactive - waiting to see what the opposition do and then trying to nullify whatever that is. We can only go on and get what we all so badly want, or we can fail. Those are the only two outcomes. If we ultimately fail then I would prefer us to do it really going for it than sitting back and hoping that we get the first goal before we settle and try to dictate from there. The negative approach is, I''m afraid, beginning to get us into a bit of a rut and is making us too predictable, and thus easier to beat. Anyone else (dis)agree?

Absolutely right susie b. I get fed up seeing supposedly inferior teams dominating midfield and bossing the games. Time for us to get stuck in and play our game rather than theirs.

Couldn''t agree more Susie, we''ve got to be positive from the outset, attack the opposition straight away. no sitting back and letting them come at us, like against the scum. we made them look good. if we hadn''t sat back and have attacked them in the centre of the pitch instead of desperate lunges in the last half of the pitch it would have been a totally different game. look what a positive approach achieved in tthe second half. Maybe if we would have been positive in the first half potato head and "willnot shut up" may not have talked shite and made total prats of themselves.

Agree with you Susie, concerning the midfield, but this highlights a fundamental problem here.

Our usual selections, with the likes of McVeigh and Henderson, are, basically, forwards who play in midfield. When we dominate teams, particularly at home, that''s to our advantage. However, when we come under pressure, which you have to expect from time to time away from home, both have defensive weaknesses in their games. That just compounds the problem further.

There is one answer, pass and move, rather than the big hoof