Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Mike Walker.

A legend for us first time around, does anyone know what he''s up to these days? I never hear his name mentioned anymore....Anyone?.

he was interviewed in the evening news last year wasnt it?

Has been living in cyprus and was working for a club over there.. they sacked him though under allegations that he was an alcoholic... he had sued them for unfair dismissal and was waiting for compensation and talking about returning to the game...

He seems to prefer sunning himself though i think... doubt he''ll manage again but good luck to him with his legal case.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Has been living in cyprus and was working for a club over there.. they sacked him though under allegations that he was an alcoholic... he had sued them for unfair dismissal and was waiting for compensation and talking about returning to the game...

He seems to prefer sunning himself though i think... doubt he''ll manage again but good luck to him with his legal case.

[/quote]

Thanks Jas, much appreciated. Was not expecting to hear all of this!, just thought he may of retired or something. I wonder what his track record was like at the club in Cyprus?*

*That''s track record in football folks, before I get any ''10 pints Stella, 2 bottles of brandy, and a double Baileys and cherryade'' answers....Cheers!

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Thanks Jas, much appreciated. Was not expecting to hear all of this!, just thought he may of retired or something. I wonder what his track record was like at the club in Cyprus?*

*That''s track record in football folks, before I get any ''10 pints Stella, 2 bottles of brandy, and a double Baileys and cherryade'' answers....Cheers!

[/quote]

I was only thinking a similar sort of thing yesterday, but not just about Walker - but most of our past managers. They never really go on to bigger and better things, or stay in the game very long after leaving City. I suppose you could go back to John Bond, who had a few clubs after leaving Norwich but never the success or longevity he had at City.

Ken Brown who only managed Plymouth for a season or 2 after being at Norwich for 15 years as assistant and then manager.

Dave Stringer who only managed Norwich and only for 4 years, despite being a bloody good manager.

Mike Walker, as we all know went onto Everton after his first spell here and it was an absolute disaster. Came back but never had the success (or the squad) of his first time here, and he never really managed anyone after that.

John Deehan, managed Wigan for a bit but then went onto being assistant manager at various lower league clubs.

Bruce Rioch - also managed Wigan briefly before doing nothing for years, despite being a manager for many years in this country before he joined us.

Bryan Hamilton - well we won''t go there.

And now it looks like Nigel Worthington could be going the same way?!

The only two I can think of from recent times who have had some success are Martin O''Neill - who was only here 6 months anyway - and, to a lesser extent, Gary Megson - though, while he won some promotions, he now seems to be in the football wilderness too.

So what is it about ex-Norwich managers?!

[quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="Alex"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was only thinking a similar sort of thing yesterday, but not just about Walker - but most of our past managers. They never really go on to bigger and better things, or stay in the game very long after leaving City. I suppose you could go back to John Bond, who had a few clubs after leaving Norwich but never the success or longevity he had at City.

Ken Brown who only managed Plymouth for a season or 2 after being at Norwich for 15 years as assistant and then manager.

Dave Stringer who only managed Norwich and only for 4 years, despite being a bloody good manager.

Mike Walker, as we all know went onto Everton after his first spell here and it was an absolute disaster. Came back but never had the success (or the squad) of his first time here, and he never really managed anyone after that.

John Deehan, managed Wigan for a bit but then went onto being assistant manager at various lower league clubs.

Bruce Rioch - also managed Wigan briefly before doing nothing for years, despite being a manager for many years in this country before he joined us.

Bryan Hamilton - well we won''t go there.

And now it looks like Nigel Worthington could be going the same way?!

The only two I can think of from recent times who have had some success are Martin O''Neill - who was only here 6 months anyway - and, to a lesser extent, Gary Megson - though, while he won some promotions, he now seems to be in the football wilderness too.

So what is it about ex-Norwich managers?!

[/quote]

Interesting points there Alex, it seems once a manager has been here they''re cursed or something! I always wonder had Mike Walker stayed on would todays papers be talking about the 3 horse race for the Premiership title alongside Manchester United and Chelsea....Who knows?

Let''s face it Mike Walker was never again going to be given a side like he inherited from Dave Stringer and Ken Brown. Despite all the money he was given at Everton he was an absolute disaster, escaping relegation on the last day of his first season and only winning one match in four months the following season. Not many ex managers come back once they qualify for a bus pass.

people forget Walker had Colchester top of their league when he was sacked, Stringer was a good manager but city''s football under walker was a joy to watch, how many people thrash, arsenal, everton leeds, in thier own back yard, win at anfield. IF chase had of backed Walker when we were clear at the top of the prem, we would have won it i am sure, but thats city, always a board with no bottle. But we had some great times under Walker and for a short time, we competed with the best.

[quote user="ricky knight"]people forget Walker had Colchester top of their league when he was sacked, Stringer was a good manager but city''s football under walker was a joy to watch, how many people thrash, arsenal, everton leeds, in thier own back yard, win at anfield. IF chase had of backed Walker when we were clear at the top of the prem, we would have won it i am sure, but thats city, always a board with no bottle. But we had some great times under Walker and for a short time, we competed with the best.[/quote]

Exactly that, Ricky. What an awesome side we were then, we played great attractive 3 points football. Who knows what would''ve happened eh?...

And they forget when he had money to spend at Everton he came up with Daniel Amokachi!

However nobody can deny his achievements in the first period he was manager here. And those old enough to remember the time he took over will know there was a bigger fuss about the Board showing no ambition than we had over the appointments of Worthington and Grant put together.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

And they forget when he had money to spend at Everton he came up with Daniel Amokachi!

However nobody can deny his achievements in the first period he was manager here. And those old enough to remember the time he took over will know there was a bigger fuss about the Board showing no ambition than we had over the appointments of Worthington and Grant put together.

[/quote]

tell me any manager who has not had bad buys, shankley, clough, paisley. ferguson, all admit to making great blunders in the transfer market. i can remember being alot happier with Walkers appointment than Grants, re colchester, as stated by me earlier.

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

tell me any manager who has not had bad buys, shankley, clough, paisley. ferguson, all admit to making great blunders in the transfer market. i can remember being alot happier with Walkers appointment than Grants, re colchester, as stated by me earlier.

[/quote]

No Ricky mate, it wasn''t the fact that he had previously come from Colchester that was the problem with the fans. They perceived that we had shown no ambition whatsoever by promoting our reserve team manager. Of course there was no internet forums at the time but there was still the local press and letters to the editor. It was all soon forgotten about as he became so succesful and will rightfully be well remembered for his achievements.

The couple f seasons under Walker were the best in most people''s living memory, i reckon.We played with a style and a swagger then and took much bigger clubs to the cleaners on numerous occasions.

How long will we have to wait before we can go to places like Spurs, Everton and Leeds and play with no fear and real style and absolutely hammer them. 5- 1 at Everton when Ekoku scored 4 goals ( i think that was probably the day Walker''s move to Everton was earmarked) 3-1 at Spurs, 4-1 at Leeds ( Goss scoring what i still reckon is possibly the best Premier League goal of any club to date, a real team move and finished with an unbeleivable volley).

You have all not mentioned the best games though... knocking Bayern Munich out the Uefa Cup.

Ahh well, if only Chase had backed Walker at Xmas when we were 8 points clear of ManUre and the rest of the League then maybe we would have been the first ever winners of the Premier League...happy days that went sour very very quickly.

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The bad buy point is the on most quoted when referring to Worthy. All managers make good & bad signings it comes with the job. The much lauded Martin O''Neill signed 3 players during his 6 months in charge - Fleck (who did nothing in his 2nd spell here), Matthew Rush & Keith Scott!!!!

By the way Walker didn''t come straight from the Colchester job to be manager, he was reserve boss for 4 years. The board were accused of lacking serious ambition when he was appointed - somewhat surprising in view of the fact that the 2 previous managers (Brown & Stringer) were promoted from within and with much success.

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"][quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The bad buy point is the on most quoted when referring to Worthy. All managers make good & bad signings it comes with the job. The much lauded Martin O''Neill signed 3 players during his 6 months in charge - Fleck (who did nothing in his 2nd spell here), Matthew Rush & Keith Scott!!!!

By the way Walker didn''t come straight from the Colchester job to be manager, he was reserve boss for 4 years. The board were accused of lacking serious ambition when he was appointed - somewhat surprising in view of the fact that the 2 previous managers (Brown & Stringer) were promoted from within and with much success.

[/quote]

I did not say Walker came from colchester to the job, i merely said i was happy with his appointment because of his record there, i am aware he was promoted from within and he was already being tipped as a manager of the future whilst he was in the backroom.

Mike now lives in Portugal, he would love to manage in the UK again but is wise enough to know he has been out way too long to do that. There is a lot that went on at Everton that restricted his ability to do what he wanted and this gives an impression that is not entirely correct regarding his time there.

He seems a happy man now but is keen to do other things as he has a good knowledge of the game and loves it.