Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Sadest Moment Supporting Norwich

Apologies if a sadest moment thread has been started before.

My sadest moment as Norwich fan, was back in 1987.  I have just accidently stumbled on the information that has reminded of the players name. 

1987 - 8 years old deeply saddened by the sale of Steve Bruce, but delighted with the purchase of John O''Neill.  I remember I was in bed so the game against Wimbledon must have been an evening kick off, presumably with it being on a Friday night.  I was still awake, and my dad came up stairs and told me he had a bad injury.  I thought with signing John O''neill we were going to win the league. I just couldn''t believe our new signing was injured on his debut, and later to find out that would be his last appearance (34 minutes).  Oh how naive I was back then, I literally cried myself to sleep and was inconsoleable for days.

Another sad memory and one of a lot more seriousness, was hearing of the death of Justin Fashanu.  Reading about it in the papers and looking at the pictures, it was quite surreal at the time.

[:''(]

Slightly depressing post but......

Fulham 6 Norwich 0

The whole City was ready to party like it was 1999, no one expected what was to come, awful, awful day!

I wasnt supporting the club at the time.. but surely april 1989... Hillsboro disaster...

if we''d been drawn 1 ball earlier that would of been our fans... Sobering thought

jas :)

How about right now???

The state of affairs at the club at this moment in time is the saddest state of affairs that I have seen the club in during 25 years of support.

Following on from the Steve Bruce bit.... another sad moment for me as a kid was the day we sold his partner Dave Watson.

As speculation grew over a proposed move to Everton I saw Dave and most of the other current first team playing a pre season friendly at Lowestoft...  I remember talking to dave and asking him "please don''t go Dave," he promised that he was staying and a day or so later he had gone...

Have never had any hard feelings towards Dave for this... but it was certainly a wake up call to the realities of everyday life, money and the way the football world operates.

[quote user="Freeza"]Slightly depressing post but......

Fulham 6 Norwich 0

The whole City was ready to party like it was 1999, no one expected what was to come, awful, awful day![/quote]I was there, and I still can''t believe it. [:(]

Both Losing 6-0 at Fulham, and 2-1 at Leeds in 1995. Unfortunately, I was there both times. I think the Leeds one hurt more as, as at Christmas, we were in the top half of the table. The Fulham loss, although somewhat embarrassing, summed up that season.

Also, that 5-0 defeat to the binners. That hurt!

Almost as sad for me as the Leeds result was listening on the radio to hear that Martin O''Neill had walked out and gone to Leicester who went on to beat us the day O''Neill didn''t turn up. I realsied then that we could be stuck in the lower leagues for a while. Sadly we have never recovered from that day.

Relegation in 1995 after that dubious penalty vs Leeds. I remember Hansen on MOTD actually sticking up for us and saying how well we had played and that we should have won the game and it was never a penalty. I was only 10 at the time and I thought we''d instantly be promoted, how wrong I was.

Anyway close call between that and when Brum scored in the playoff final. From then on, I knew we had lost :(

For me, going down against Leeds and O''Neill walking out were all part of the Chase Out saga, and were steps along the way to that denoument.

Fulham 6-0 was the worst for me. I''ve never felt so passionate and so low in such a short space of time. I couldn''t get a ticket and watched in the Murderers and I got drunker than I''ve ever been. Apparantly I drank two pitchers by myself, and was unintelligible by the time I left, although I have little memory of it.

Fulham......................

and the F.A cup semi at Hillsborough when Flecky had spent the week in an oxygen chamber to get fit. I just thought it was our day.

For some reason, the day we sold Kevin Reeves always looms large in my memories...

It was on a Thursday, I was at 6th Form College and my mate and I knew the signing was going to be at about 11:30am for some reason. We had a lesson, Double Computer Studies from 11am-1pm, and just sat there and talked about him!

11:00am-"...he''s still a Norwich player"

11:15am-"...only fifteen minutes to go..."

11:30am- "...well, thats it, he''s gone..."

11:31am- "...just think, he''s a Man City player now..."

11:45am- "...never really rated him actually..."

...etc etc!!

Apart from Hillsborough - the time I felt most annoyed was when I was 13 in 1985, working as a labourer with my dad over the summer, and hearing on the radio news that Norwich wouldn''t be playing in Europe because of the Heysel disaster.  Although I could understand the decision, it seemed unfair that my team were prevented from their first stab at the Uefa Cup for something we hadn''t done.  I think I shifted two skips worth of rubble that day, which is totally out of character for me, being as lazy as possible normally.

We lost FA cup semi final against Sunderland and they was 1 league level bottom from Norwich..

I remember that I feel so bad 2-3 days after this game because one of my dream is to see Norwich at Wembley in front of 40 000 yellow stands and this game and draw was very close to my dream ....never happen + we play so bad that day (Im Norwich fan since 1988 so not remember Milk Ccup final).

Borislav, you have such a wonderfully Russian name, please tell me that you have made your billions in Gazprom and want to buy our club. [:)]

Easily the saddest for me was watching the scenes as Mike Walker left to join Everton - the realisation that after several years of City being up at the top of the league, everything was going to change..

Watching City lose 3-1 at home to Man Utd. We were top of the Premiership, had just beaten Villa, and only had to hold on for a few more games. Sadly, it wasn''t to be.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

For some reason, the day we sold Kevin Reeves always looms large in my memories...

It was on a Thursday, I was at 6th Form College and my mate and I knew the signing was going to be at about 11:30am for some reason. We had a lesson, Double Computer Studies from 11am-1pm, and just sat there and talked about him!

11:00am-"...he''s still a Norwich player"

11:15am-"...only fifteen minutes to go..."

11:30am- "...well, thats it, he''s gone..."

11:31am- "...just think, he''s a Man City player now..."

11:45am- "...never really rated him actually..."

...etc etc!!

[/quote]

were computers still the size of rooms those days? or did they just have those hideous Moncohrome monitors?

jas :)

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Almost as sad for me as the Leeds result was listening on the radio to hear that Martin O''Neill had walked out and gone to Leicester who went on to beat us the day O''Neill didn''t turn up. I realsied then that we could be stuck in the lower leagues for a while. Sadly we have never recovered from that day.[/quote]

I was at Filbert Street that day...

The day that fuelled the fans real anger to get rid of Mr Chase...  without that day happening Mr Chase would still be here...

Would that of been a blessing or not???

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Almost as sad for me as the Leeds result was listening on the radio to hear that Martin O''Neill had walked out and gone to Leicester who went on to beat us the day O''Neill didn''t turn up. I realsied then that we could be stuck in the lower leagues for a while. Sadly we have never recovered from that day.[/quote]

I was at Filbert Street that day...

The day that fuelled the fans real anger to get rid of Mr Chase...  without that day happening Mr Chase would still be here...

Would that of been a blessing or not???

[/quote]

I remember sitting down as a 10 year old to watch that on Anglia''s "Kick off" that Sunday as it was being screened live. And I just remember the first lines from Piper being something along the lines of "Martin O'' Neill has resigned, yes, resigned, as manager of Norwich City" and I was just thinking - wtf - in fact I remember thinking at first that he was joking!

For me it was probably when walker got sacked in his 2nd spell, things had been going badly that season and it should have been no suprise that he was sacked but i just didn''t see it coming he was Mike Walker. I remember the first game with Walker back in charge also obviously the first post Chase game i think it was against Swindon which we won 2-0, the atmosphere and general sense of euphoria at carrow road that day was absolutly amazing i came away in the total belief that everything was going to be ok again Mike Walker was back and Chase was gone. I think the moment he was sacked was like the end of a dream because i still had total faith that he''d return us to the premiership, i was gutted for days and at one point vowed never to return to carrow road whilst delia was in charge. I must point out that i was young & naive.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]For me it was probably when walker got sacked in his 2nd spell, things had been going badly that season and it should have been no suprise that he was sacked but i just didn''t see it coming he was Mike Walker. I remember the first game with Walker back in charge also obviously the first post Chase game i think it was against Swindon which we won 2-0, the atmosphere and general sense of euphoria at carrow road that day was absolutly amazing i came away in the total belief that everything was going to be ok again Mike Walker was back and Chase was gone. I think the moment he was sacked was like the end of a dream because i still had total faith that he''d return us to the premiership, i was gutted for days and at one point vowed never to return to carrow road whilst delia was in charge. I must point out that i was young & naive.
[/quote]

I was also at that Swindon game, 2-0, Johnson and Flecky with the goals! I remember the ground being absolutely packed full which was a complete contrast to the end of the 95-6 season when I remember being able to pick where I could sit during a game!

It was a shame when he was sacked second time around, because he was just getting things together (you don''t fluke sucessive 5-0 wins) and he had a good young squad which was emerging. I suppose as this thread is about the saddest moments, not only would Walkers sacking qualify, but the event which took place a few months later with the appointment of Rioch and Hamilton also falls under this!!

Leeds in 1995, and the day in 1985 when we were sent down by Coventry beating champions Everton 3 weeks after the end of the season in the days when the season was allowed to extend to the end of May. Everton had come back from their end of season holiday to play this game and Cov had taken 9 points out of 9 to overtake us. Same season when we were robbed of Europe by the ban....all this two months after the greatest day in the clubs history.

probably losing 6-0 to fulham on the last day of the season. i remember the moment i heard that we were relagated. guted

Saddest moment for me personally was not 100% football related.  But hearing that Bryan Gunn''s daughter lost her fight for life, was in tears.  Still donate to the leukemia appeal now and will do until I take my last breath.

Sadest moment for me had to be the F.A. cup semi -final replay against Luton  1959 ,  i was 8 yrs at the time, i remember it as if  it was yesterday ,we were so much better than them , we could have run out at Wembley and  beat both Forrest And Luton . one of the worst finals ever.