Sign in to follow this  
mbncfc

Player Ratings & My View v Luton

Very, very interesting. I have to say the quality of football wasn''t always great but it was certainly an enthralling match. We''re so bad we''re good!

People have questioned our character and how we would deal with a relegation scrap. It seems clear from this match that the players have plenty of character and determination. Their heads didn''t drop at all last night - something which has happened consistently in the past. To be honest, I think my head dropped after their very sloppy second goal. In the last few games they have had to chase a game and ended up getting something from it. It is a good knack to have.

That said, defensively we are very poor and look like conceding every time the opposition breaks into our box. They seemed to be man-marking rather than zonal, but either way each corner in the second half saw Luton with a free man at the back post!?! Strangely it is only as a unit that we look woeful. There were some good individual performances at the back.

I thought our set piece delivery was better than I have seen in ages. The quality of delivery for corners and free kicks from Safri and Lappin was excellent.

There is no doubt in my mind that PGs change in taking off Etuhu and bringing on Fotheringham won us the match. We looked far more settled in the middle of the park. Safri and Fozzy got their foot on the ball, and we seemed to clear our lines quicker. We broke quicker from midfield and took charge of the match.

Luton worked hard, Spring looked good and was unlucky with a long range effort in the first half which cannoned off the woodwork. But in truth, we were the better side and on the balance of play deserved the points... As for the players:

GALLACHER - 5
His face told the story as the final whistle blew. He punched the post in frustration. He was still mobbed by City fans a few minutes later though! Lacked any command of the players in front of him. He seemed to lack confidence, and the rest of the team lacked confidence in him. As a result his handling wasn''t great. Completely wrong decision for Luton''s second goal, which was his fault. Not good enough I''m afraid.    

HUGHES - 7
What you see is what you get. He is not a great defender and he will always get beaten by a half decent winger. But his touch was sound and he burst forward with the ball on numerous occasions to take play further up the field and keep Luton on the back foot. By far his best position and the best performance I''ve seen from him.

DOHERTY - 6
There is always a mistake in him. He can look solid for most of the game, and then will suddenly fail to clear a ball or let the ball bounce in the penalty area.

SHACKELL - 8
Excellent. He was assured on the ball and one almost everything in the air. He had to bail out Doherty a couple of times, but I thought he looked very tight.

DRURY - 7
This was the best performance I''ve seen defensively from him in years. He coped very well with what was in front of him and his understanding with Lappin improved as the game went on.

CROFT - 7
Worked very hard, but with only an occasional end product. The major asset is his running with the ball. Much like Hughes, he would run 30 yards with the ball and ensure that we were playing in the Luton half. But he stills needs too much time to deliver a cross.

SAFRI - 9 MMOTM
The second half was his. As Etuhu slowly disappeared he struggled and was overloaded, but kept everything ticking along. His use of the ball was excellent.

ETUHU - 5
He was on the pitch for the first 10 minutes. Luton''s first goal was a disaster from his point of view. He then disappeared. Quite rightly substituted. We all know what he can do. He just doesn''t do it enough.

LAPPIN - 7
He is obviously still getting used to the pace of the game. He needs too much time on the ball, and usually doesn''t get it. His set piece delivery, after the first 20 minutes was excellent. The free kick was beautiful. He worked hard too and I am sure he will get better.

MARTIN - 8
Not since Bellamy has a young player looked this good. He is a different type of player, but there is an air about him. He is clinical. His use of the ball and movement was excellent. He got tired in the second half, but I think that is fair enough. He is the real deal ladies and gentlemen. Give the guy a contract now!

HUCKERBY - 7
Was Hux. Dangerous, got to run at players. Looked more effective coming in off the left later on in the game and caused panic all over the shop from their. Was quiet earlier on and had a couple of poor touches in the first half. But he can always create something, and usually does.

and

FOTHERINGHAM - 8
He can do everything Etuhu can, and more. With him and Safri in the middle, our use of the ball was far better. We seemed to go to 4-5-1 later on which would have helped too, but it was the first time since we were promoted that I saw our midfield look comfortable on the ball and able to create. Should certainly start with Safri at Barnsley.

Only Luton of course, but a massive result which they have to take on...

A good summary.  Etuhu looks as if his confidence is so fragile that when something goes wrong, as it did horribly with their first goal, then he falls to pieces.  Lappin looks quality but is still a bit off the pace.  Fozzy looked good when he came on.

I thought it was one of Hughes'' best games for the club and I''d certainly keep picking him at right back.

Strangely it is only as a unit that we look woeful. There were some good individual performances at the back.

The trouble is in defence you cant play well individually and look woeful as a unit.   If the unit isnt working then it means you are not working as a defender - making headers and clearing lines is only part of it,  reading the game, covering runners and partners, filling space, being available for a pass,  willing to clear,  keeping a shape, communication are only parts of it for for me is the fundamental problem around how many goals we are conceeding.  Add on individual errors such as Hughes, Gallachers in the last couple of games, and shax, dion, doc and drurys in previous games the whole unit needs a shake up to function properly.

WIth Fotheringham replacing Etuhu, do you think Grant finally seen Etuhu''s true colour?

And in the central midfield role for Norwich today, against Barnsley will be Safri and Fotheringham (I hope)

[quote user="August 64"]

I thought it was one of Hughes'' best games for the club and I''d certainly keep picking him at right back.

[/quote]

I am quite surprised, everywhere I have read says he got skinned by the attacking winger??

for example in the edp:

"Both sides seemed unable to keep the ball as the game was played at a frantic pace on a bumpy pitch although Bell was a particular bright spark for the home side and constantly turned the beleagured Hughes inside out."

I am surprised Colin has been dropped??  Anyway enough moans, what a fantastic result which should keep us out of the relegation scuffle![:D]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="August 64"]

[/quote]

I am quite surprised, everywhere I have read says he got skinned by the attacking winger??

for example in the edp:

"Both sides seemed unable to keep the ball as the game was played at a frantic pace on a bumpy pitch although Bell was a particular bright spark for the home side and constantly turned the beleagured Hughes inside out."

I am surprised Colin has been dropped??  Anyway enough moans, what a fantastic result which should keep us out of the relegation scuffle![:D]

[/quote]

in fact more about Hughes, he does run about a lot I will give him that.

"Barnett hopefully clipped the ball over the top, and Bell easily outpaced Hughes to reach the ball on Town''s left. The winger then took the ball round the onrushing Gallacher and to the byline. He crossed and striker Drew Talbot was left with the easy task of heading home into an unguarded goal from six yards out, although the ball only just trickled inside the far post.

On 56 minutes, Luton had the chance to increase their lead. Hughes failed to deal with Keane''s deep cross and could only divert the ball into Talbot''s path. But the former Sheffield Wednesday striker took one touch too many and the ball rolled out for a goal kick."

[quote user="mbncfc"]

Very, very interesting. I have to say the quality of football wasn''t always great but it was certainly an enthralling match. We''re so bad we''re good!

People have questioned our character and how we would deal with a relegation scrap. It seems clear from this match that the players have plenty of character and determination. Their heads didn''t drop at all last night - something which has happened consistently in the past. To be honest, I think my head dropped after their very sloppy second goal. In the last few games they have had to chase a game and ended up getting something from it. It is a good knack to have.

That said, defensively we are very poor and look like conceding every time the opposition breaks into our box. They seemed to be man-marking rather than zonal, but either way each corner in the second half saw Luton with a free man at the back post!?! Strangely it is only as a unit that we look woeful. There were some good individual performances at the back.

I thought our set piece delivery was better than I have seen in ages. The quality of delivery for corners and free kicks from Safri and Lappin was excellent.

There is no doubt in my mind that PGs change in taking off Etuhu and bringing on Fotheringham won us the match. We looked far more settled in the middle of the park. Safri and Fozzy got their foot on the ball, and we seemed to clear our lines quicker. We broke quicker from midfield and took charge of the match.

Luton worked hard, Spring looked good and was unlucky with a long range effort in the first half which cannoned off the woodwork. But in truth, we were the better side and on the balance of play deserved the points... As for the players:

GALLACHER - 5
His face told the story as the final whistle blew. He punched the post in frustration. He was still mobbed by City fans a few minutes later though! Lacked any command of the players in front of him. He seemed to lack confidence, and the rest of the team lacked confidence in him. As a result his handling wasn''t great. Completely wrong decision for Luton''s second goal, which was his fault. Not good enough I''m afraid.    

HUGHES - 7
What you see is what you get. He is not a great defender and he will always get beaten by a half decent winger. But his touch was sound and he burst forward with the ball on numerous occasions to take play further up the field and keep Luton on the back foot. By far his best position and the best performance I''ve seen from him.

DOHERTY - 6
There is always a mistake in him. He can look solid for most of the game, and then will suddenly fail to clear a ball or let the ball bounce in the penalty area.

SHACKELL - 8
Excellent. He was assured on the ball and one almost everything in the air. He had to bail out Doherty a couple of times, but I thought he looked very tight.

DRURY - 7
This was the best performance I''ve seen defensively from him in years. He coped very well with what was in front of him and his understanding with Lappin improved as the game went on.

CROFT - 7
Worked very hard, but with only an occasional end product. The major asset is his running with the ball. Much like Hughes, he would run 30 yards with the ball and ensure that we were playing in the Luton half. But he stills needs too much time to deliver a cross.

SAFRI - 9 MMOTM
The second half was his. As Etuhu slowly disappeared he struggled and was overloaded, but kept everything ticking along. His use of the ball was excellent.

ETUHU - 5
He was on the pitch for the first 10 minutes. Luton''s first goal was a disaster from his point of view. He then disappeared. Quite rightly substituted. We all know what he can do. He just doesn''t do it enough.

LAPPIN - 7
He is obviously still getting used to the pace of the game. He needs too much time on the ball, and usually doesn''t get it. His set piece delivery, after the first 20 minutes was excellent. The free kick was beautiful. He worked hard too and I am sure he will get better.

MARTIN - 8
Not since Bellamy has a young player looked this good. He is a different type of player, but there is an air about him. He is clinical. His use of the ball and movement was excellent. He got tired in the second half, but I think that is fair enough. He is the real deal ladies and gentlemen. Give the guy a contract now!

HUCKERBY - 7
Was Hux. Dangerous, got to run at players. Looked more effective coming in off the left later on in the game and caused panic all over the shop from their. Was quiet earlier on and had a couple of poor touches in the first half. But he can always create something, and usually does.

and

FOTHERINGHAM - 8
He can do everything Etuhu can, and more. With him and Safri in the middle, our use of the ball was far better. We seemed to go to 4-5-1 later on which would have helped too, but it was the first time since we were promoted that I saw our midfield look comfortable on the ball and able to create. Should certainly start with Safri at Barnsley.

Only Luton of course, but a massive result which they have to take on...

[/quote]

I think you are absolutely spot on.

Shacks, Martin and Safri were superb in a scrappy game where we saw the best and worst of Norwich. Don''t get me wrong at times we truly were woeful and permanently panicing but overall the glimmers of superior class and craft were evident.

Martin is a real talent and will go very far ... he is our future - whether he sell him for cash or not. Strength, guile, flair and a goal scorers touch.

Shacks was cool, calm, collected and elegant last night. At such a tender age he really is our Canary Terry.

Safri is one of our very few players who has time on the ball. He traps passes tightly and passes crisply - in stark contrast to Dickson.

Etuhu really was poor! I just can''t bear to watch him aimlessly prancing around pretending to be a footall player and pretending to know what he''s doing - he is permaently lost and permanently at fault for leaving vast stretches of open pitch for opposition midfielders and strikers to roar into and at our back line.

Yes - he does have moments of brilliance but these are too rare to merit his contract. He must be removed from this club as soon as possible. He is not good enough ... and he knows it.

Hughes was useless last night, ditto Ethu. At least I can forgive Hughes. He hasnt any talent, but puts in 100%. Ethu has the talent, but doesnt put in anything. He put in a couple of strong challenges after half time, but then got booked, then subbed. No surprises that we go on to win the game.  

He got beaten time and time again. Let his man run far too deep, and his distribution was atrocious, except a couple of short passes.

Shacks was man of the match by long way. Lappin was quiet also.

But lets look on the bright side, as we are moving in the right direction at last!!!!

There left winger Bell caused Hughes and us problems all night, he was a real handfull! Despite this Hughes never lost confidence, he never let his head drop and he stuck to his task to the end. Maybe these qualities are why Grant prefers him to Colin in the situation we are in.

Etuhu was dire. I defend him at times because he can do things other midfielders can''t. Maybe he was carrying an injury? But whatever the poster was right in saying he made a mistake for the goal and then disappeared. On the evidence of last night it''s possible that Safri and Foz can play together in the centre of midfield if that''s the case then it''s a big plus.

Gallacher  always seems to give away at least one goal a game! Grant knows we need a keeper and in the time he has been here he has replaced him three times only for fates to conspire that he gets back in again!

Martin is a real bonus and proof that players can come through our academy. If Jarvis can come back and show an attitude to compliment his undoubted talen then three players from our academy in the team at the same time would be a possibility.

As a fan who does not get to see the games, I always read these "player rating" threads with great interest. After digesting the various inputs I must say it is not a surprise that we are making defensive mistakes. Try to imagine, as most of us go about doing our jobs in life, how much smoother the interface is with others that have been in their jobs for some time. Regardless of whether your opinion of various colleagues is at the higher or lower end of the scale, you generally know what to expect and act accordingly, either by giving people more time, explaining more clearly, covering weaker areas better etc.

In our Premiership season we conceeded so many goals through defensive mistakes. Many would correctly say we did not have the quality. Just as importantly, we were trying to blend in a number of changes including professional inexperience and, by the time the dust had settled, we had conceeded more goals than anyone else in the division. So when Zippers says, "Strangely, it is only as a unit that we look woeful", I don''t think it is strange at all. I think it is perfectly natural that''s the case because players need time to become accustomed to each others styles and strengths. We have not had that stability for some time. It sounds like we still need a rock-like centre back to partner Shackell as he continues to develop ( Dublin is great when he''s fit but I''m sure Grant knows we have to look beyond Dion ).

With a little more time and stability ( and probably a key acquisition at the back ) it will undoubtedly help cut down the number of mistakes we are making on defense.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

There left winger Bell caused Hughes and us problems all night, he was a real handfull! Despite this Hughes never lost confidence, he never let his head drop and he stuck to his task to the end. Maybe these qualities are why Grant prefers him to Colin in the situation we are in.

[/quote]

This was why I rated him last night,  despite being up against a more than useful player in Bell he stuck in there and I felt he supported well when going forward.  I felt he has to be recognised for his part in the victory.  That''s all.

I wasn''t at last night''s game but, following what NN said, I can certainly understand why Grant has gone for Hughes over Colin for psychological reasons, in the position we have been in for the last couple of games. I think that one think Hughes has done is proved that he is unflappable. It takes a steeliness of character that I know I haven''t got for him to have kept his head up under the abuse he''s had from his own crowd. And this is not a jibe at those who have booed him etc, its just to say that he is obviously a tough nut and perhaps this has figured in Grant''s thinking. Last night''s game was hardly for the faint hearted. That kind of attitude also has an effect on the dynamic of the whole team, it is very handy to have a bouyant character who can get people back up no matter what the circumstances. I think that if you watch him, he does do a lot of this - hence the Captain Clappy moniker - and it can be useful sometimes.     

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Strangely it is only as a unit that we look woeful. There were some good individual performances at the back.

The trouble is in defence you cant play well individually and look woeful as a unit.   If the unit isnt working then it means you are not working as a defender - making headers and clearing lines is only part of it,  reading the game, covering runners and partners, filling space, being available for a pass,  willing to clear,  keeping a shape, communication are only parts of it for for me is the fundamental problem around how many goals we are conceeding.  Add on individual errors such as Hughes, Gallachers in the last couple of games, and shax, dion, doc and drurys in previous games the whole unit needs a shake up to function properly.

[/quote]

Good points Zipper.

We have a couple of solid blocks in our current unit, but they can''t always cover other people''s mistakes.
The unit needs 3 new blocks - GK, RB and a right-footed CB to compliment Shackell. It also needs some time to play together and understand each other. It needs to be settled, and I think things like this will improve once PG has a summer to work with his players.

My ratings would be:

Gallagher - 5 - Poor game. Looked shaky and nervous. Handling was poor - he nearly dropped a shot in the back of the net and then had a rush of blood to the head when he came charging out of his goal and was beaten for Luton''s second goal (I was also worried that Talbot managed to beat the three Norwich defenders that were in the box!)

Hughes - 5 - Very poor in the first half - got beaten all ends up by the Luton winger and  turned inside out on many occasions. Improved after the break and offered more coming forward but went AWOL at right back for Luton''s second goal. Bring back Colin!

Doherty - 7 - Thought he had a great game - won some towering headers and made some good interceptions. Also played some good passes out from the back.

Shackell - 7 - Good game all round and scored a goal to cap a fine performance. More goals please!

Drury - 7 - Full marks for carrying on after being dumped over the advertising boards. Looks much better with Lappin in front of him and isn''t exposed like when Hucks is on the left. Good game.

Croft - 6 - Not a bad game. Drifted in and out. He ran well with the ball at times but there isn''t much of an end product at the moment. Definitely needs to work on his final ball and also his shooting! He could weigh in with some handy goals as he gets in good positions but his finishing is woeful!

Safri - 8 - Class! Ran the midfield when the conditions were poor and always seemed to have time on the ball. Distribution from set pieces was better too! He''s beginning to show more consistency which can only be good for the team.

Etuhu - 4 - Awful game. Only remember him for five things - first giving the ball away badly for the first goal, second a foul, third a foul, fourth ....oh yes another foul and a booking and fifth...his substitution! Don''t understand why Grant rates him, was right to sub him and the game passing him by, as Grant mentioned in his comments, happens every game not just this one!

Lappin - 7 - Still adjusting to the pace of the game but looks a great addition. Has made the left hand side much more solid and is forming a good partnership with Drury. Fantastic free kick to win the game and good to hear that he works so hard in training on his delivery as it''s something we''ve needed for a while.

Martin - 8 - What a find. Fantastic goal, good hold up play and showed some good skill. His attempt at a Ronaldo ''chop'' to cut inside the defender shows that he isn''t afraid to try something a little different. Will definitely have a great future.

Huckerby - 6 - Not one of his best games. Ran his heart out but nothing quite came off. Didn''t find the space he does on the left and when he did have a run on goal his control let him down. Still the fact that he was marked closely by the luton defenders meant a bit more room for Martin and others!

Sub:

Fotheringham - 7 - Has great skill and played much better than Etuhu. We looked far more talented with him alongside Safri and definitely needs to start instead of ''Dixon Where are you''! Another good signing