Sign in to follow this  
In Dubious Battle

First Match

I was thinking back to the first time i ever saw city play it was against spurs in the league and we won 3-1 must have been around 1990 it was the only time i ever went in the barclay when it was terracing, i was only 9 or something. Was just wondering what peoples first matches were and also just out of curiosity who is the longest standing supporter here? did anybody watch us as far back as the 50''s and what was it like compared to nowadays?

1991 vs Wet sham... i was young and Naive and was Supporting the appy Ammers that day! :o it was a rumbelows cup game and Flecky scored a screamer for Norwich from 30 yards..

1st game supporting Norwich was new years day 1992 vs the Villa... we won 2-1 and Bob Ullathorne scored the winner. Flecky scored a retaken penalty as well...

Used to sit in the family enclosure with my dad back then.. happy memories.

jas :)

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]I was thinking back to the first time i ever saw city play it was against spurs in the league and we won 3-1 must have been around 1990 it was the only time i ever went in the barclay when it was terracing, i was only 9 or something.

Was just wondering what peoples first matches were and also just out of curiosity who is the longest standing supporter here? did anybody watch us as far back as the 50''s and what was it like compared to nowadays?
[/quote]

Yes I was there back in the 50''s. The first match I can really remember was at the tail end of the 53/54 season against Crystal Palace we won 5-1 and I was hooked for life. The centre forward was a guy called Johnny Summers he got a couple that day if memory serves. He later played for Charlton and once scored 5 goals in a 7-6 win against Huddersfield (they were losing 5-1 at half time!).

In those days it was all standing apart from the old main stand. The only covered area was the Barclay. I used to stand behind the goal at the River end with my dad and uncle. I think it was about 6d to get in for boys (thats 2.5p). If it rained only your head and shoulders got wet because it was nearly always a good crowd. On the South Stand (now Jarrold) side most of the terracing was made of railway sleepers. The south stand was also open to the sky until some time in the early sixties. If frost or snow was forecast they used to cover the pitch with straw and only clear it the morning of the match. I can remember one of those matches with snow piled all round the outside of the pitch. It was against Southend and we won 7-2. I think Johnny Gavin got 4 that day.

My other big memory of the 50''s is when the club came last in the old 3rd Division South and had to apply for re-election to the league. W enearly went bust that year. I think Kings Lynn lent us £500 to pay the wages at one stage and I also remeber people walking round the ground with big sheets and supporters throwing their odd change in to keep the club going.

It was a different game then. no substitutes allowed and very few bookings or sendings off. If someone got injured you just played on with 10 men or you put the injured person on the wing to carry on just for nuisance value.

Lots of things have changed since then and not all of them for the better.

OTBC

1984/5 - Can''t remember exactly, I must have been about 6 or 7.

My dad took me to see Norwich City v Carlisle, we were near the top and they were bottom.  I can remember my mum washing my ski jacket especially and that the cuffs were still wet when I left.  We went for a pre-match drink in the Rouen Pub and the landlady took me into the back room, gave me a coke and some crisps and put my coat on the radiator to finish drying.

The game was brilliant, we had Steve Bruce at the back, Chris Woods in goal, Barham and Mendham in the middle and the mighty Kevin Drinkell up front.  We won the game 2-1 and I can specifically remember Mark Barham breaking his nose and playing for about 20 minutes with a claret soaked shirt.  We stood in the River End and believe it or not they used to sing as well.  Great game, will never ever forget.

The other things I remember is that every subsequent game I went to after that seemed to be a 1-1 draw.........and my dads mate taught me the song "we''re norwich we''re mental we''re off our fu****g heads", my mum went spare when I sang her the new song I had leant.

I think probably the best thing I can remember about football when I was younger was that I could turn up on the day and pay my £3 at the turnstiles and stand in the barclay.

[quote user="ricardo"]

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]I was thinking back to the first time i ever saw city play it was against spurs in the league and we won 3-1 must have been around 1990 it was the only time i ever went in the barclay when it was terracing, i was only 9 or something.

Was just wondering what peoples first matches were and also just out of curiosity who is the longest standing supporter here? did anybody watch us as far back as the 50''s and what was it like compared to nowadays?
[/quote]

Yes I was there back in the 50''s. The first match I can really remember was at the tail end of the 53/54 season against Crystal Palace we won 5-1 and I was hooked for life. The centre forward was a guy called Johnny Summers he got a couple that day if memory serves. He later played for Charlton and once scored 5 goals in a 7-6 win against Huddersfield (they were losing 5-1 at half time!).

In those days it was all standing apart from the old main stand. The only covered area was the Barclay. I used to stand behind the goal at the River end with my dad and uncle. I think it was about 6d to get in for boys (thats 2.5p). If it rained only your head and shoulders got wet because it was nearly always a good crowd. On the South Stand (now Jarrold) side most of the terracing was made of railway sleepers. The south stand was also open to the sky until some time in the early sixties. If frost or snow was forecast they used to cover the pitch with straw and only clear it the morning of the match. I can remember one of those matches with snow piled all round the outside of the pitch. It was against Southend and we won 7-2. I think Johnny Gavin got 4 that day.

My other big memory of the 50''s is when the club came last in the old 3rd Division South and had to apply for re-election to the league. W enearly went bust that year. I think Kings Lynn lent us £500 to pay the wages at one stage and I also remeber people walking round the ground with big sheets and supporters throwing their odd change in to keep the club going.

It was a different game then. no substitutes allowed and very few bookings or sendings off. If someone got injured you just played on with 10 men or you put the injured person on the wing to carry on just for nuisance value.

OTBC

[/quote]

I have to say Ricardo that your memory is far better than mine. When you comment on the railway sleepers, for example, it all comes flooding back. I needed to check the season you refer to because I have a memory of the 4 goals by Gavin, and I was also a young kid in the River End. That was the 1955-56 season.  Upon checking further, it seemed that the season you are referring to as your first was 1952-53 ( you are older than you thought ). Although I did not go to a match until the season after you, I do have a memory of Bristol Rovers being in a position to run away with the title and then collapsing. That actually happened in your first season. When I checked back on the stats Bristol Rovers still won the title, although they only managed 5 points from their last 9 games. Happy days!  

Having two parents who care not for the glorious game, and not having been born in Norfolk myself, I didn''t get to a game until the age of about 15, so about 97/98.I remember it was a game against Oxford United, who I believe were languishing at the bottom of the first division and were virtually bankrupt.  In true Norwich City style we lost, 3-1 I believe, though I can''t remember who scored...

Norwich Vs Southampton when i was about 13 in 92/93, Mark Robins scored in the 89th minute... hooked after that.

Mine was at Highfield Road, we lost 3-2 to sky blues, fink it was 93/94 season, Sutton got them both but i missed the first one as it was straight from kick off after half time

hmm, having parents that despise football and also not getting into

football until I left norfolk, I did not manage to go to a match until

the Inter Milan friendly, 2005, age 21. We lost 2-0, Adriano(?) and

Martins.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

I have to say Ricardo that your memory is far better than mine. When you comment on the railway sleepers, for example, it all comes flooding back. I needed to check the season you refer to because I have a memory of the 4 goals by Gavin, and I was also a young kid in the River End. That was the 1955-56 season.  Upon checking further, it seemed that the season you are referring to as your first was 1952-53 ( you are older than you thought ). Although I did not go to a match until the season after you, I do have a memory of Bristol Rovers being in a position to run away with the title and then collapsing. That actually happened in your first season. When I checked back on the stats Bristol Rovers still won the title, although they only managed 5 points from their last 9 games. Happy days!  

[/quote]

I guess you must be right Yankee 52/53 season. I was 7 years old going on 8. Great days indeed. What always sticks in my mind is the Half back line from the mid fifties era, Pickwick, Foulkes and Ashman. My old dad always reckoned it was City''s best. In those days it was full backs,Half backs and Forwards we never heard the words Midfield and Striker until much later.

You must have been going when Ralph Hunt was centre forward, big carthorse of a guy but scored a lot of goals. Our dream then was to regain our "rightful" place in Division 2,.Oh how times have changed.

Another thing that I always remember from those days when we were struggling in Division 3 South was the music they played at half time. A number called "You Gotta Have Heart"

Like Ricardo I also went in the fifties. I too can remember Gavin and Johnny Summers (who played with a bandage on his arm, not sure why but I remember seeing it several times). Also Ken Oxford in goal and Noel Kinsey. I Think my first game was v. Portsmouth around 52/53.

My main claim to fame though was in the sixties when we played Leicester in the cup and the gate was the club record 44,000. I remember being told to climb over the fence in the enclosure and watching the match from the side of the pitch.

Oh, happy days

As an aside, I too remember the blankets being brought round and my dad throwing money in and when you realise how close the club was to extinction it makes you realise just how lucky we are to have a club at all and makes todays problems seem minute by comparison.

OTBC 

It was in our first ever season in the (old) first division in 1972 (I think) away to West Ham and we lost heavily (I think it was 4:0).  Don''t remember much about it other than a bunch of West Ham skinheads with spray-painted Dt Martin boots causing mayhem on the tube after the game.  Hardly any Norwich supprters at the game, or if there were they kept pretty quiet!

[/quote]

Was that not the game in 1988 SAY HELLO???  I was on the TV climbing on the fence in the River End as Flecky banged in I believe our 3rd goal that curled around the Spurs keeper if it was.

My first game was Leicester 1 - 4 Norwich (I believe that was the score).  It was the game that was the start of the mazing sequence of results that saw us win something like 9 or 10 of our last games in the 1982 Martin O''Neill inspired promotion charge to clinching 3rd place.

That was followed up approx a year later with the 5th Round FA Cup tie V''s Ipswich...  Keith Bertshin got the winner in a 1-0 victory in front of 28,000+ at Carrow Road. 

1984 - Norwich v Aldershot 0-0. The first game in our run towards the Milk Cup. It was rubbish football but I loved it anyway...

October , can''t remember the year.

It was a birthday treat for me to attend Carrow Road, match vs Tottenham.

0 - 0 i think. Hoddle played (my dad tells me).

I sat watching a supporter carried away on a stretcher, face all mashed and smashed.

Not sure of the year probably 1978/9 though, it was against WBA I think and Kevin Bond scored an own goal followed by a penalty in a 1-1 draw. I have a vague recollection of Justin Fashanu hitting the bar with an overhead kick but that could just be a fantasy.

Norwich verus Liverpool. Riverend with my Godfather standing on a milk crate.

5-3 to Liverpool with that wonder goal by Justin. 1980 I seem to remember, but stand to be corrected. Too lazy to google.

P.S To my shame I was a 10 year old Liverpool fan then. Older cousin supported them who was my hero at the time.

Soon changed my mind later that year and pinned my colours to the true faith and never looked back in anger!

West Ham on boxing day 88. We won 2-1, Disco Dale scored from a frankly ridiculous angle. I think Townsend got the other and Flecky had one disallowed for offside.

[quote user="DubaiLes"]you''ve always been an old f--t Dicky.[:P][/quote]

Old''un but Good''un Les.

norwich v derby county 1972 i think  i`m sure norwich won 2-1 my mum took me shes from derby  and was supporting the rams i was only about 6 and didn`t know what the  heck was going on

[quote user="ched seven"]norwich v derby county 1972 i think  i`m sure norwich won 2-1 my mum took me shes from derby  and was supporting the rams i was only about 6 and didn`t know what the  heck was going on[/quote]

You may be right, but I remember it being 1-0 to City, Paddon scoring, I think that was our first win in the First Division ever. I got there about 12 o''clock with my sisters and had to wait for the gates to open for about an hour.

My first game was home to Swindon in 67 or 68, Don Rogers played for them and we won 1-0, standing in a half empty River End to the left behind the goal. Next game I went to was Boxing Day of that year when we beat Leicester 3-0 I think, David Nish was playing and I had actually heard of him before which I was excited about at the time!