Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

WHAT IS AN ACCEPTABLE RESULT AGAINST CHELSEA?

Only the most optimistic or naive supporter anticipates a win on Saturday.

Personally, I''d love a draw and get them back at our place.

Realistically, we are going to lose and I hope for the following:

1). A ''heads up'' competitive ''turn up on the day'' performance.

2). A Norwich goal for our away support to cheer.

3). No more than a 2 goal defeat.

4). No injuries.

5). A bedding in of new players in a proper system.

I would say that losing by 3 goals would be about what to expect, given our form and their team.

Losing by 4 would be a touch embarrassing

Losing by 2 would be moderately respectable

Losing by 1 would be a moral victory

Drawing would be bloody marvellous

And any kind of win......?? Well, if we beat them maybe some other Russian, Lithuanian, Ukranian or Belarussian will take note and come and buy us for squillions.

Most notable cup game against Chelsea? The League Cup semi-final in - ummmm - about 1971 at Carra when the fog came down over the river end and the game was called off six minutes from what would have been our first Wembley appearnance. In the end it didn''t matter as we got through anyway. There was something like 34,000 in the ground that day and you couldn''t move. Those were the days when the South Stand was mainly terracing and the noise was deafening. Don''t know why clubs don''t put the noisy sections along the side at the pitch... creates more atmosphere

Other FA Cup memories..... Justin Fashanu scoring on Yeovil''s sloping pitch, Keith Weller''s white tights at Leicester and a strange afternoon at Wigan in the third round in about 1987 when I think we lost and Ken Borwn kept striding up and down the touchline in that stylish leather coat of his.....

Good luck to all who are going on Saturday....

Kev

The result is a forgone conclusion i think,its just a matter of how many they score! Theres 2 results that spring to mind though. The first being they will hammer us 4,5 or maybe 6-0. The 2nd that we knick it from them,maybe 1-0 or 2-1. Either way im gonna have a bet on the boys in yellow!

If we lose by three goals or less we will have done OK, but its the performance more than anything else. If its one way traffic with our customary limp no show in midfeiled it will be very depressing, but a Wycombe or Colchester like performnce against them will send me home happy. I''ve got my ticket already from a friend who is a season ticket holder there but won''t be in the away end so I''ll have to keep my head down.

at stamfgord bridge losing by 4-0 is our recent par score, beyond that it bad and less than that is good.

We seem to be one of the few teams chelsea like to score more than 2 against.

No harm in hoping for a draw folks. Highly unlikely I know but given they''ll be playing an important Champions league match a few days later (the one Abramovich really wants), you never know though. If Huck''s carries on in this form.....

A draw would be wonderful, if unlikely.  As someone else has already mentioned, our last two visits to Stamford Bridge were both 4-0 (FA Cup with Zola''s goal and Prem season) so that should just about be par... but would still be upsetting.  2 or 3 nil and maybe a goal from somewhere is good.But Grant is going there to win, and if we play with confidence, don''t let them have it all their way, and generally give a good account of ourselves, then I don''t think anyone will complain too much (except a certain few, naturally [;)] ).

What we have to remeber is that for example shevchenko just 1 player cost more than norwich have spent on transfer fees in the last 20 years!!! they are a world away so we cant moan if we lose 4-0 ill be happy of we lose 4-0 but battle till the end and give it our all we also have to remeber thatr the signing lappin we are putting our hopes in cost less then a weeks wages for half of these players!! lets just enjoy the day regardless to the score we may not get another chance!!!!!!

WELL DONE CITY FINALLY A CUP RUN TO BE PROUD OF LAST 16 !!! AT LAST :D :D :D:D:D:D

a well-contested defeat would do me, preferably something to ignite the rest of our season rather than deflate us and take the wind out of our somewhat ripped sails.

3-1, 3-2, 2-0, 2-1, 1-0, or better still: 0-0, 1-1, 2-2. A victory would be awesome, but sadly only a pipedream.

[quote user="sdldjl05"]

What we have to remeber is that for example shevchenko just 1 player cost more than norwich have spent on transfer fees in the last 20 years!!! they are a world away so we cant moan if we lose 4-0 ill be happy of we lose 4-0 but battle till the end and give it our all we also have to remeber thatr the signing lappin we are putting our hopes in cost less then a weeks wages for half of these players!! lets just enjoy the day regardless to the score we may not get another chance!!!!!!

WELL DONE CITY FINALLY A CUP RUN TO BE PROUD OF LAST 16 !!! AT LAST :D :D :D:D:D:D

[/quote]

I hope Shevchenko does play, then we''ve got every chance ;) . Will you really be happy if we lose 4-0? I won''t be. Of course I expect them to beat us, but I hope we can do better than the last time I went to Stamford Bridge and Zola scored THAT goal against us!. 4-0 will not be a good result, let''s hope we can give a better account of ourselves than that, at least get on the scoresheet!.

You can''t help but dream about what might happen...

However, the realism is as EM said, we have lost our last 2 visits there 4-0. Both times with decent sides, and for the second we were a Premiership side.

Premier League teams regularly get beaten there 3-0/4-0 in the League, even when they have players out.

It is very likely we will come away with a scoreline like the above, but you never know. And I for one appreciate what PG is saying leading up to the match.

In fact, I think the credit for Huckerby''s improved performances and the way Martin is being looked after should also be reflected in part on PG. The positives of his man-management are starting to come through.

All I hope for is that we don''t do what Notts Forest did, and get overawed by Stamford Bridge and the millionaires.Provided our lot concentrate on their own games instead of getting star-struck, I think we can deliver a decent performance, if not a result.It''s a shame John Terry is back from injury in a way - I would have fancied playing them when they were having their central defensive crisis of about 3 weeks ago.

Grant needs to focus the players on the positives.

Hucks, in the form he''s in at the moment, can unpick any defence anywhere. All defenders hate pace and Terry isn''t the quickest anyway.

Dublin, whether at centre half or striker is imperious, and if a ball comes into the box, he''ll always win it in the air, over any player Chelsea have.

Marshall is a solid keeper and they''ll have to create some good opportunities to beat him.

Safri can unlock a defence with one pass.

We''ll probably still get tonked if Chelsea find any form, but there are areas on that pitch where we hold an advantage. (i.e. the first two examples above). With luck on our side we have the potential to at least worry them.

To have played and battled well.....with a final scoreline that perhaps "flatters" Chelsea on the day.

I''m still smarting from the Zola magic of years ago.....and we don''t want any more scorelines like that.

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

To have played and battled well.....with a final scoreline that perhaps "flatters" Chelsea on the day.

I''m still smarting from the Zola magic of years ago.....and we don''t want any more scorelines like that.

[/quote]

It was a hell of a goal mind Cluck, just pleased Shevchenko doesn''t seem to knock them in like that!. You never know, Dublin might just keep him in his pocket ;)

Cluck, why smart from the zola goal?  I tend to say "well we lost, but look what they had to score to beat us."sometimes in sport you just have to say "too good", for example that Zola goal, Peiterson reverse sweeping Warne for 6 over a long boundary, the goal for pompy from the centre circle, van persie''s volley from 18 yards where he was about 2m up when he hit it, a 9 dart leg (the minimum), Maradona''s first against england in 1986 (not the hand of god one), O''Sullivans 5min 20second 147 break, Shane Warne bowling Gatting with his ashes debut ball, also the dismissal of Strauss in 2005 which spun by 3 feet, and many other examples of sporting brillinance/nigh-on-impossibleness.Acceptable result depends on the team playing, anything better than, 2-0, 4-1,5-2, ... would do me.If Drogba and Lampard are playing, I have them both in my fantasy football team, so I don''t mind too much if the score as many as they like.

[quote user="7rew"]If Drogba and Lampard are playing, I have them both in my fantasy football team, so I don''t mind too much if the score as many as they like.
[/quote]

I can''t believe what I''m reading...You would be happy for these boys to knock plenty past us in the name of ''Fantasy football League''!. City til you die?.

Nothing less than a win will be acceptable to me!

Seriously, I guess the best we can hope for is to give a good account of ourselves, ruffle a few feathers (I''d love to see Safri crunch Fat Frank a few times!) and maybe get a draw? OK, a narrow defeat then!

The key to beating Chelsea IMO is to play with split strikers and get your deep lying striker (in our case Hucks) to try and drag John Terry out wide. It happens quite regularly in Europe (and when England play ) and seems to turn Terry from the most solid defender in the Premiership to a Sunday league player! Whether we''ve got the nous, or indeed the ability as you obviously need a decent amount of posession, to do that is of course a different matter.

Thank you for your responses which are similar.

Now, imagine you are a Norwich player going into the game with the mind-set of a reasonable defeat being acceptible: we would end up being thrashed.

Perhaps then, as supporters we need to have the attitude we would expect from our players. NO expectation of a negative result and compete, compete, compete?

If the players go in all gung ho they will also get thrashed; if they expect to avoid conceding a goal against will knock them back.

The attitude of ''nothing to lose'' is helpful in as much as it deflects pressure and stops building the Chelsea players up too much.

Remember the Fulham debacle? We DID have it all to lose but the outcome for survival was within our gift. Players were clearly affected by the occasion whereas Fulham were relaxed.

Our players need to be relaxed but focussed. They need to see Chelsea as just another team and a challenge. They need to have a game-plan and a vision for acheiving a result and they need to start from second one.

What they, and we must not have are defeatist attitudes. Maybe acceptible results are best left for post-mortems.

I''m afraid to say that i''m playing the sun one, so cups count. (don''t worry I''m playing it on a football forum for free).

I only said that I wouldn''t mind too much, it would still deeply sadden

me and ruin my week, just not as much as if the same goals were scored

by Shevchenko or Robben.

There are Ipswich fans in this league so I need to beat them don''t I (the only norwich fan playing).

Don''t worry I still want a city win, 6-8 (Lampard 3, Drogba 3 /

Huckerby 2, Fotheringham 2, Martin 3, Brown 1) being my favoured result.

Unfortunately I can''t see it happening, Maybe 4-8.

It has occured to me that actuall loosing is not acceptable, since I''ve

been bigging up our chances to my chelsea supporting mates, and will

therefore get the piss riped merily on monday if we lose.

[quote user="7rew"]Cluck, why smart from the zola goal?  I tend to say "well we lost, but look what they had to score to beat us."

sometimes in sport you just have to say "too good", for example that Zola goal, Peiterson reverse sweeping Warne for 6 over a long boundary, the goal for pompy from the centre circle, van persie''s volley from 18 yards where he was about 2m up when he hit it, a 9 dart leg (the minimum), Maradona''s first against england in 1986 (not the hand of god one), O''Sullivans 5min 20second 147 break, Shane Warne bowling Gatting with his ashes debut ball, also the dismissal of Strauss in 2005 which spun by 3 feet, and many other examples of sporting brillinance/nigh-on-impossibleness.

Acceptable result depends on the team playing, anything better than, 2-0, 4-1,5-2, ... would do me.

If Drogba and Lampard are playing, I have them both in my fantasy football team, so I don''t mind too much if the score as many as they like.
[/quote]

Oh rew.......just let me "smart" if I want to.......

Comes to something if a bloke can''t even have a decent "smart" these days without being picked on?.............[:)]

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

[/quote]

Spot on, All i ask for is a performance. The rest will take care of it''s self,

I want to come away from stamford bridge and fell proud that i support Norwich City FC!!! The result dosen''t matter.

People forget abour the first leg of that tie, where we actually out played Chelsea and if it wasn''t for Cudicini having an absolute blinder we would have won it out right. If we play anything like that day then i will be happy. Not only would it be a result that wouldn''t be embarrasing but it would be a hefty improvement on this seasons performances.