Sign in to follow this  
General Melchett

SET PIECES

Note to PG...To stand any chance of beating Chelsea we should be solely concentrating on defending and attacking set pieces this week. No more rubbish short corners please. With Lappin in the side we now have someone who can deliver a decent dead ball and with the likes of Brown, Dublin, Shackell, Etuhu etc we have the stature to bother Chelsea in the 6 yard box from set plays.I''m not suggesting we go there playing long ball. In open play we should play the kind of "good football" that makes us all want to support our fine team, but let''s be ruthlessly organized at the one thing that is a leveller in football - the set play.Also if Frank Lampard is shaping up to shoot, can we make sure nobody tries to block or close him down. How many of his  goals for chelsea result from a scuffed shot defelecting off a defenders arse before pathetically pea rolling over the line.While I''m here..Note to Steve McClaren...Why not put Huckerby in your next England squad and play him left side. Let''s face it he can''t do any worse than the pathetic lack lustre 11 that didn''t turn up against Spain.

Agreed - but I am more concerned about goals conceded from set pieces, - we cannot go on giving soft gaols away game after game. John Terry and company will gobble us, but the weakness applies to league games as well.Against Blackpool, both gaols were scored by defenders, the second was also created by a defender. We just do not seem to be able to pick up and mark them as they arrive. As the CBs must deal with opposing strikers and the FBs will be on the line, somehow we have to ensure that our other tall players, Etuhu and Brown in particular track back and mark their markers.Even poor teams can be well organised and play to an effective defensive system, but we seem to lack this. If you took away all the goals we have conceded to defenders, I suspect that we would be near, or even in, the play-off places! Why do we find it so difficult to deal with set pieces?

A good point,you only need to look at where Bolton are to understand the value of  practicing set pieces,i''ve heard quotes from Martin Hunter before saying how they practice set pieces in pre season and "tweek" them on a friday,which for me seems too little.After all how many set pieces have been succesfull in getting goals and how many goals have been given away from oposition set pieces? I think the stats speak for themselves!!

succesful teams can both score and clear set pieces.. we can do neither!

We seldom score from corners or free kicks (direct or indirect) yet seem to concede on a regular basis... Surely its the fault of the goalkeepers? they are supposed to ''Marshall'' (no pun intended) their defence at set pieces.. make sure everyones marked and standing where they should be.. this clearly isnt happening. Jim Holman is the goalkeeping coach and surely should be addressing this instead of concentrating on shot stopping alone.

the management are also to blame.. they should of studied the opposition, by watching them themselves or by studying the dvds... who are the danger men? how do they move at corners? why are they finding space? how many goals do they get from corners?

Also, not marking a small player can be suicidal too.. just because he is small doesnt mean he is no good in the air. EG Andy Johnson. those athletic players should be watched too.

when marking a player surely they should follow him all over the penalty area?. we have seen far too many times at carrow road a defender marking an opposition player only to be standing in the exact same spot when the ball is in the back of the net.. this clearly isnt good enough!

The coaches, manager, defence and Goalkeepers all need to get to the bottom of this.. we will win far more games than we lose.

Also, we need to work on attacking set peices. Shacks has never scored for us depsite being a big player. Dion has scored more upfront than in defence.. the doc seldom scores... with big center backs that could be an extra 5-10 goals a season surely? an extra 3-9 points? in our situation we need them..

all our corners go to the same place.. near post. We dont mix up delivery... Far post, the penalty spot, edge of the 6 yard box, edge of the penalty area.. its either short or near post with us.

Far post corners loop over the goalkeepers head and leave someone at the back post with all the goal to aim at. Aim a corner to the penalty spot against teams with a commanding goalie... he wont come out that far incase he misses it/spills it.. with a gaping goal behind him and him 12 yards off his line he''d be running a huge risk.

Edge of the 6 yard box.. "into the mixer" bang it in there and see who comes out best.. there will be a crowd of bodies and its the strongerst and bravest who isnt afraid to clash heads who will score.

Edge of the penalty area.. whos the best "striker" of the ball... i dont mean striker as in up front i mean who can hit a ball better than anyone else at the club? stick him on the edge of the box, hit it to him and watch him volley it in from 30 yards... Ince, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Matthaus... all could/can hit them from distance either on the volley or after 1 touch... why cant we do this?

Set Peices imo are overlooked.. they are what make teams succesful and win more games. the league table doesnt lie and im sure the stats will tell just how effective Derby are from set pieces.

Hucks/Safris short or near post corners dont work.. and it needs changing, if the takers are 1 dimensional then the answer is simple.. they dont take them anymore!

jas :)