Sign in to follow this  
Chip20

Last Night's Arsenal 'Offside' Goal

Can anybody clarify this for me please? I couldn''t quite hear the pundits'' explanation because of others chatting. At the end of last night''s Bolton/Arsenal FA Cup replay, Arsenal scored when the one Arsenal guy rounded the ''keeper and passed to his team mate to score. My immediate reaction was that this should have been offside because there was not a Bolton defender ahead of the receiving Arsenal player when the pass was made. The pundits seemed to say this allowed was because the ball was passed backwards rather than forwards. Is this right?

The goal just struck a chord because I recall NCFC falling foul of this about ten years ago when the oppo goalie came up for a corner and had to leg it back to his goal with Eadie in hot pursuit when his team lost the ball. Sadly, Eadie opted to pass to his team mate (I forget who it was) and was therefore flagged for offside because there was only the goalie ahead of them. Would this goal, therefore, have counted if Eadie had passed slightly backwards, or has this rule been revised in the interim?

I guess it makes sense because otherwise no corner could be legitimate if the opposition retreat all players to the other end of the pitch while it''s taken!

Had to look this one up but:

You can''t be offside if:

• You receive the ball directly from a goal kick, a throw-in or a corner

• you are in your own half of the pitch

• you are level with the second last or last two opponents

• you are level with or behind the team-mate who plays you the ball

• you are not actively involved in play, as explained above

I think it was because he was behind the ball when it was played.

Was the ball actually passed backwards? I thought it actually went forwards?

The offside rule states that you are offside if you are in front of the ball at the moment the ball is played forward by a teammate and there are not two opposition players closer to the goal line.

The Arsenal player was not offside because he was behind the ball.

I think the rule is.

There should be two opposition players (including the goalkeeper) between the ball and the goal.... at the time it is passed. If you are behind the ball you cannot be offside.

The rule is that there have to be two players (not neccesarily a keeper and a defender) between the goal line and the reciever of the pass when the ball is passed, unless a) the ball is passed backwards or b) the reciever is behind the passer when the pass is played or c) The reciever recieves the ball from a throw in. or d) the reciever recieves the ball from a goal kick.or e) the reciever recieves the ball from an opposing player or deflection from the ref.

Try explaining that lot to the wife.

I think that''s it. There may be more.................

In terms of the backward pass rule, this is correct, it would therefore not make the goal offside.

It didnt matter if the ball was passed back or forwards because Adebayor was behind Baptista when the ball was played. Offside only comes into effect if the player is infront of the passer.

I think it was because the player he passed to was behind the ball rather than in front, although it looked marginal to me. If that rule didn''t exist you could just have your defenders stop and the attackers would never be allowed more than one-on-one.

Haven''t checked the rules though.

[quote user="Jarroldstander"]

• you are not actively involved in play, as explained above [/quote]
  • As stanley Matthews once said "if you arent involved in play then you arent on the pitch''.

jas :)

i remember that, i think it was Portsmouth (a) and he passed to Adrian Forbes, although the more i think about the less i do think it was forbesy.

this is going to bug me now.

Thanks guys. So I guess when Eadie passed to whoever it was (something is telling me it was Ekoku) in the incident I refer to, that player must have been ahead of him when it was played, right?