Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

With everyone fit, will Huckerby be in our starting 11?

On recent performances this may seem like an obvious yes, but with everyone fit how and where would you fit Hucks into the team?

A fully fit team, (without any additional signings/loans), playing a 4-4-2 may be -

Marshall

Colin                      Dublin                     Shackell                Drury

Chadwick              Fotheringham           Safri                     Lappin

Brown                   Earnshaw

Bench:- Gallacher, Doherty, Croft, Huckerby, Martin

Out of choice I wouldn''t have the Doc on the bench, but my minds escaped me, what other defensive cover do we have?

No place on the bench for the likes of Etuhu, Hughes, McVeigh etc.  Perhaps Grant would have Etuhu or Hughes in place of Croft or even Huckerby on the bench as he would want a more defensive minded option there if needed.

I am not saying that I would leave Hucks out of my team but perhaps its not as clear cut as certainly I originally thought.

Is there even a possibility of Huckerby not even making the bench?

There is also the small headache of whether you play Brown or Martin up front with Earnie. 

I certainly wouldn''t sacrifice Hucks from the bench if he didn''t make the starting 11.  I''d have to sacrifice Martin, using Hucks as a striking option on the bench, and bringing in either Etuhu or Hughes as a different option for the midfield.

Sometimes i think you (anyone in general) can look too deeply into things and twist it and come to an unlikely conclussion. At the moment, even if everyone was fit (and it is a big if which hardly ever happens) then i''m sure hucks would still play.

In a 4-4-2 you could play him in a free role as a 2nd wider striker with earnshaw allowing lappin to play wide left. Or you could play Hucks on the left instead of lappin, and let him compete with drury at left back.

You could play hucks wide left of a 4-5-1, slotting Lappin inside and giving huckd freedom to roam.

Or you could play 4-3-3, where Fozzie, safri and lappin make up a steady central 3 allowing hucks to roam in and around 2 forwards.

So in answer to your question Huckerby i''m sure would be picked somewhere, although i suppose he could be a match turning sub for 30 minutes, and yes of course he would be on the bench, the latter reason the only i can think of for not starting him.

With everyone fit, Hucks would be one of the first 3 names on the teamsheet! Saffers being another.

Wat ya on about?!!

Hmm - do we pick probably the only true class footballer (Hux) our squad contains in the starting 11?  Hard one that - let me think about it.

Sometimes I go on a bender. But I have never been that bad. Brown wouldn''t get in, in front of my sister. And the rest of the team including the keeper wouldn''t get in, in front of Huckerby.

marshall         

colin         dublin            shackell         drury

chadwick         safri        lappin   

fotherigham/huckerby

brown                     earnshaw

I''ve raised this in another post. Right now the guy is on fire and he''d be the first name on the sheet. But i agree, he is not the future of this club. The team you have suggested is - Chadwick, Croft, Shackell, Colin, Fozzy, Lappin, Brown, Martin, Earnie etc - they are the future - they''ve all still got their best years ahead of them. Hucks could still be a devastating squad player/substitute even when he''s 33. Just look at Ryan Giggs. Question is whether he''ll want to be...

Hucks is the best player at this club. He makes all the difference at this level. As long as he''s still fit and able to play to his best there''s never going to be a time when he shouldn''t be apart of the first team.

I still rate him as the most exciting player in this league and if Norwich are going to go anywhere they need him and they need Earnshaw.

You can''t put Fotheringham in yet instead of Huckerby when he has only played one game, likewise with Lappin. Although they did well it''ll only be after half a dozen or so when we start to see a pattern in how they play and fit in with the rest. Having said that if the performances against leeds do prove to be the norm I would slot Lappin in at left midfield and Huckerby probably sitting just behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1. Give Hux a roving role either left or through the middle and you at least have  a man behind him to cover in front of Drury.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

On recent performances this may seem like an obvious yes, but with everyone fit how and where would you fit Hucks into the team?

A fully fit team, (without any additional signings/loans), playing a 4-4-2 may be -

Marshall

Colin                      Dublin                     Shackell                Drury

Out of choice I wouldn''t have the Doc on the bench, but my minds escaped me, what other defensive cover do we have?

No place on the bench for the likes of Etuhu, Hughes, McVeigh etc.  Perhaps Grant would have Etuhu or Hughes in place of Croft or even Huckerby on the bench as he would want a more defensive minded option there if needed.

I am not saying that I would leave Hucks out of my team but perhaps its not as clear cut as certainly I originally thought.

There is also the small headache of whether you play Brown or Martin up front with Earnie. 

I certainly wouldn''t sacrifice Hucks from the bench if he didn''t make the starting 11.  I''d have to sacrifice Martin, using Hucks as a striking option on the bench, and bringing in either Etuhu or Hughes as a different option for the midfield.

[/quote]

Er . . . I think you''ve forgotten someone. Dickson Etuhu, anybody? You wouldn''t have Safri in there ahead of him, surely?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

In my next post I will explain how to nail jelly to the ceiling.

I know this is a hard concept to get your head around but its called a squad. We have had so few players for the last couple of years that we have only really had one player for each position so its not easy to grasp.

Now we are beginning to get some competition for places thing will change at last. Players will be injured or suspended, there will be loss of form, there will be different formations and there will be more scope for changing things around with substitutions. I reccon Hucks will start almost every game because he is a match winner, although I guess like everyone else he will need to keep his form going and may well get substituted more often.

The thing that worries me is that with more options available and with the parachute money coming to an end, the board will see the chance to sell Earnie.  

[quote user="Snakepit Boy"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Marshall

[/quote]

Er . . . I think you''ve forgotten someone. Dickson Etuhu, anybody? You wouldn''t have Safri in there ahead of him, surely?

[/quote]Etuhu ahead of Safri? I''m assuming this is some sort of (very) subtle irony that has passed me by...

[quote user="Snakepit Boy"]Dickson''s still the best midfielder at the club.[/quote]

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it - my view remains that he has the attributes to be  the best midfield but does not use them fully and at the moment he is outperformed by safri by a considerable margin.