Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Dickson must be reading us

I know this comes up quite regularly, possible evidence that players are reading this board, but i thought i''d mention the latest example. What do we make of this from Dickson Etuhu:“I was hoping people would stick behind me, obviously not - but I don''t want to say any more about that. I keep going - I took a lot of stick last season but I won''t let it get to me because I am stronger and I can deal with it, so I will go out and play my game..." said Etuhu, who refused to pinpoint where the criticism was coming from.We know it''s not the manager, who clearly rates him, or the previous one who bought him. Maybe a player behind the scenes was having a pop. You wouldn''t identify a player publically, but equally, you wouldn''t validate message board chit chat by admitting you read it, let alone take it seriously. But i imagine it''s hard to ignore if you do read it. Either way, i think we sometimes forget the influence, collectively, we can potentially have, and i don''t mean in a good way. Not in the last two years at least. Some players, particularly the confidence players (of which i think Dicko is one), are definitely more affected by negative comment than others, and maybe we need to think more carefully before laying in to them on here.

Yeah of course he is paid a lot. I think that A1 is just suggesting that some consideration might be in order, might benefit us all. The way some people talk about him on here is as if he is some sort of criminal, and quite often goes way beyond ''constructive criticism'' which, as you say, is often totally valid.

Agreed Perm.

This is one of the attitudes that I am quite frankly dissmayed at. It wasn''t present untill the premiership season when the club was possitive and behind all of its players - even those that we knew had certain limitations.

Footballers are not paid £5k a week to get so called "constructive" criticism from fans that are a few pennies shot of a quid. I would say that around 85%-95% of the comments on here and at the ground on match days are far from ever being read as constructive and could never be defended as such.

This is just like the posts were people claim that they buy their right to boo players when the buy their ticket to the game. To me this is as bad as the players turning up to a match thinking they have already lost. I wouldn''t want players like that in my team so don''t expect the players to be happy with fans like that in the crowd.

Not rocket science really is it? After all isn''t that why part of the job of the fans is to wind up and slag off the opposition? Instead somepeople seem happier with our own players.

If players read messageboards then they must expect to read criticism. Every player gets criticised on here, even our so called "fans favourites". Hucks gets loads as does Drury, much of it unwarranted. Even Earnie isn''t exempt from the posters wrath despite all his goals. I haven''t seen any moans about Dion since Christmas but it will only be a matter of time before it happens.

What I think is unfair is when posters make stuff up to critcise the players. Whether it''s about their performances or about their wages, and on some messageboards even about their sexual preferences!!!

Barbara sorry Dickson says he will go out and play his game. Well if his game is what I''ve witnessed for the last 10 or so games I''d rather he didn''t bother. Attitude and drive is this players problem. Take the money and do the minimum is what I see. Drop the guy. Better still sell him.

Agreed, NN, they should definitely expect to receive criticism, that goes with the territory of being a footballer like I said. I''m just saying that I''ve occasionally read stuff about players on here that I think oversteps the mark. Just saying that A1 has a point.

So which comes first ?  The criticism or the performances ?In the case of Croft and Dublin, the criticism started before they had kicked a ball, being used as sticks to beat the board / management with.  Dublins'' performances, experience, and motivational skills have enabled him to turn the critical perception on its head.  Croft has also been able to convince most of his worth to the team.It seems that the 2 players that get the most criticism, Etuhu and Hughes, represent the extremes of our problem at the club.  Hughes, much like Holt before him, tries exceptionally hard, but lacks distribution.  Holt was named "3 lungs" for his hard work, but Hughes gets pilloried, when the only reason for this seems to be the position of the team in the league.  Etuhu is called lazy, which is a touch unfair when you consider that he''s considered to be one of our most effective players by independant researchers.  Does he only make the runs he needs to make, conserving energy for times when he can make an impact in the game, or does he only put the work in when he feels he will be rewarded, in a big game ? Maybe a player should rise above the criticism and use it to prove his critics wrong.Maybe the critics should get behind the player, or indeed the team and see if doing so makes a difference.Maybe some people enjoy criticism more than support ?

As keeps on needing to be said.  There is a reason we are 18th in the league.  Its that there are some poor players in our squad.  Dickson Etuhu and Andy Hughes have probably been the two worst getting regular games this last year and a half. 

Even Clint Easton had the odd good game here, he wasnt up to it however - he seems to have found his level.

Anyway both had a decent game Saturday, with Hughes looking a far better bet at full back than he ever has in midfield and etuhu turning up for the third time this season and actually getting involved for long periods in midfield.

Keep it up lads and noone will complain.