Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Ahh my heart bleeds for you Youssef

"I would say Shacks will be fine, but I would say Safri will be struggling," said Grant. "I think that is more through tiredness - when he plays Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday that is a bit much for him.

If Grants comments are to be believed... what use to us is a prima-donna midfielder that can''t handle 3 games in 3 weeks without attempting to start the 4th let alone 4 games in the space of 11 days...

Best get another midfielder in on loan quick... because Safri is going to miss a lot of games coming up with the future fixture congestion!!!

[quote user="Smudger"]

Best get another midfielder in on loan quick... because Safri is going to miss a lot of games coming up with the future fixture congestion!!!

[/quote]

Why do you think Fotheringham is here Smudge???

Because he provides our defence with much needed protection when he is available. And perhaps Grant values his contribution when he is fully at the races so has decided to allow him to rest whenever possible. I would suggest that also, when he is playing, he throws himself around and gets stuck in to the extent that I am not surprised that he can''t play Sat, Tues, Sat, Tues in two weeks (don''t know where you get the three games in three weeks thing from). As I say, I would suggest this but what is the point because you refuse to watch our team and, therefore, haven''t got a clue how he has been playing or the contribution he has been making. If I was being facetious I would suggest that this is just your latest attempt at turning the latest headline/soundbite into an opportunity to slate us. Why do you bother to support us - if you do?     

The guy played very well at Chelski, but it seems that we get a really good game from him, he then gets injured or needs a rest, comes back and has a few mediocre games before an outstanding game and the cycle starts again.

He would be a hell of a player if he was consistant, but I expect you could say that about any player. Does anyone agree with me?

[quote user="Rustyboy"]The guy played very well at Chelski, but it seems that we get a really good game from him, he then gets injured or needs a rest, comes back and has a few mediocre games before an outstanding game and the cycle starts again.

He would be a hell of a player if he was consistant, but I expect you could say that about any player. Does anyone agree with me?
[/quote]

Think he could be a good player if consistent... no more than that....

The fact that the number of good games he has had since he has been at City could be counted on the fingers of two hands says it all to me...

He is no bloody use whatsoever yet is viewed as a god by the majority of City fans who seem to think that he has as much ability as an Ian Crook (which ain''t true either).  [:@]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]This post shows your lack of understanding of the game.

Have you ever played a game of football that didn''t involve jumpers for posts, Smudger ?
[/quote]

Yes thanks... Unibond League Guiseley Town being the highest stature of club that I have played a few games for.

I also briefly trained with Lowestoft Town about 2002 time.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]And you''re now fully qualified to take over from Doris the Tea Lady... well done, you.

In which case you will understand the stresses and strains that a game of competitive football can place on the body.  Maybe Safri is over-exerting himself in certain matches, and suffers more than most as a result, which causes his lack of consistency ?  Or maybe we just have a mad schedule at the moment, we do currently have a number of players who can''t play every game as a result of similar problems.

No other current midfielder at the club is better at closing down opposition midfielders and denying them time on the ball than Safri.  It is no wonder the guy gets tired as he puts in a lot more effort over the 90 minutes than other midfielders.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]In which case you will understand the stresses and strains that a game of competitive football can place on the body.  Maybe Safri is over-exerting himself in certain matches, and suffers more than most as a result, which causes his lack of consistency ?  Or maybe we just have a mad schedule at the moment, we do currently have a number of players who can''t play every game as a result of similar problems.
[/quote]

Yes I understand that... and I also understand that as I got in to my 30''s playing two games a week did become a strain...

Youssef is a professional footballer however who should be in the prime of his career and well capable of playing the number of games that he has had to play this month without claiming can I sit this one out boss I''m a bit tired...

Sorry but Saf has no sympathy from me... and maybe if he can only put in one good performance very 15 matches then we should ship him out to a Sunday League side where he only plays 20 games a season!!!

we havent won a game under Grant that Safri hasnt played in.. thats worrying! Hope he at least features on the bench tonight...

jas :)

Having a gossamer thin squad doesn''t help our current plight. Suspensions and injury are taking their toll. Still, with hindsight, we get what we budget for.

Maybe Gunny an'' Gossy can come out of retirement? Now there''s prudence!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Have to agree with you on this one.

A professional athlete should be able to play twice a week. Safri seems to be notoriously fragile for a suposed midfield dynamo.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]This post shows your lack of understanding of the game.

Have you ever played a game of football that didn''t involve jumpers for posts, Smudger ?
[/quote]

Yes thanks... Unibond League Guiseley Town being the highest stature of club that I have played a few games for.

[/quote]

Did you actually play? Or spend your time on the Dame Judy. Might be why you don''t understand this.

Safri is a professional playing at Championship level, so whilst his physich and stamina will be higher than yours was watching the game at Lowestoft, he is also playing at a level ever so slightly more competative. The two go hand in hand. The higher you play, the fitter you need to be. Just look at the amount of ex Championship players and managers who note the pace of playing in the Premiership and how it requires more focus on fitness.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you actually play? Or spend your time on the Dame Judy. Might be why you don''t understand this.

Safri is a professional playing at Championship level, so whilst his physich and stamina will be higher than yours was watching the game at Lowestoft, he is also playing at a level ever so slightly more competative. The two go hand in hand. The higher you play, the fitter you need to be. Just look at the amount of ex Championship players and managers who note the pace of playing in the Premiership and how it requires more focus on fitness.

[/quote]

and so the higher you go... it should only be right to expect higher levels of physical presence, fitness and recovery etc etc...

Still no sympathy for Safri I am afraid... and as for me playing for Lowestoft... it was my decision to stop training with them...

They didn''t seem keen enough in my opinion... when recognised players there were saying give this guy an immediate run out for the reserves at least if he has been on Guiseley''s books yet it seemed that the management weren''t even watching you close enough then you just thought what the point...  It was the equivalent of Norwich having a Premiership midfielder training for them and not giving him a run out with the reserve team in the first week or 2 he was there to see what he could do.

What is better - him admitting he is not going to be fit for the next game and recovering for the following one.

or

Him playing (poorly as he is not fit) and still being unfit for the next game.

Fact is he is our best central midfielder by some margin, and if he needs a rest so be it...  The guy has played a hell of a lot recently - including overseas, and gives his all every game (normally needing to do the job of two players in midfield).  It wouldnt surprise me if he was benched tonight.

Did some of you whingers realise that some manager actually drop players to keep them fit!  really they do!!  [:P]

Smudger you are just so naive and wrong that your post lacks credibility.

Football players are not robots - different men play different styles, suffer differently from fatigue and have different recovery times. Safri unlike Shacks is not in his 20s. He is our best midfield player by a mile - the only one to put his foot in, thread intelligent passes and play consistently. He is one of our few players who could make it in the Premier League and he deserves more understanding, appreciation and respect than you care to give him.

Be realistic

agreed with Yellow Rages... how many Lowestoft players go out for 10 pints and a chicken Curry the night before a game and still waddle around tghe pitch on a saturday?

A professional couldnt do that! they have to be at peak physical fitness.. and Whilst Youssef might be fatigued, i still think that in his current state he could run rings round all of us... i bet he could still be running whilst Smudger collapses on his Arse, bight red face struggling for breath.

And never mind players.. a Referee doesnt stop running all game...  the FA believ on Average that a referee runs 4 miles per game. i think Youssef does well and as a professional his fitness levels will be through the roof.

jas :)

[quote user="ncfc1"]

Ship him out of the club , how would the poor guy cope if he had to work 8 hours a day instead of 3 or 4 hours a week .

[/quote]

He''d probably be ok feeding chickens 8 hours a day,how do you find it?

One fact that seems to have been overlooked is that Safri had a rest on 20th Jan and 10th Feb when the games were cancelled. In fact we have had only two midweek games since the New Year. Now by my reckoning that''s not a lot. Safri might have had an extra game or so for Morocco but still doesn''t sound too daunting to me.

Maybe he''s being rested tonight in a difficult match and being saved for this Saturday which is a must win game to me? That would be almost Worthy-esque in its ineptitude though.

ncfc1 wrote "Ship him out of the club , how would the poor guy cope if he had to work 8 hours a day instead of 3 or 4 hours a week"

It all depends what work you would be expecting him to do for 8 hours a day. If it involved the same energy levels as 90 minutes of high level professional football then he would be dead because it would be impossible. What job are you envisaging that requires this level of fitness for 8 hours a day? Also, the team trains for longer than 3 or 4 hours a week so.......oh, do you know what, this post is flawed on so many levels that I give up......

I guess the real question it raises is - if Grant knows Saf can''t play so many games on the trot why did he play him against Chelsea when the league games are considered more important?