Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Play off donkeys!!

I really can''t believe all these gullable people now getting themselves in the media (Radio Norfolk phone in tonight) and still trumpeting our chances of the play offs! Unless of course  there was a rule change in the summer and there are now play offs to avoid relegation!

First caller said ......''no way will we get involved in the relegation zone'' (er, excuse me caller but we already are). Second caller said...''if we play like today with same team spirit we can still make the play offs'' 

Neil Adams......''we''re at least as good a side as Derby if not better''

How about considering the following facts before any more of you fall for this latest ''yellow spectacled propoganda'':

• We are just 5 points  above the relegation place
  • No team is getting left behind at the bottom
  • We are 19 (YES - 19!!) points behind the 6th place club
  • We are 26 points behind Derby
  • Ernie (our only recognised goalscorer) is likely to miss the rest of the season 

The only thing in our favour (and only if we take advantage) is our games in hand.

Even the boy Grant has fallen for this mindset on the back of just one league win against a Leeds side who were riddled with injuries.

Ok so the performances for parts of the Wolves and Leeds games were a great improvement and I have high hopes for the two new jocks and Chris Martin but please, get real! Today''s injury to David Marshall could be a real body blow.

Still think we''ll make the play offs then? There''s as much chance of us being in the plays offs as the sun not rising in the morning.  

Shhh! Dont break their bubble, they dont have a chance. We would end up with 79 points if we won every game, which would only be good enough for play offs and we wont do that, but, imo, the team has improved since the new signings and as confidence is such a pecarious thing it would be good to finish strongly.

I also had to laugh at the woman who declared that "no way" would we be in a relegation battle.

What football have these people been watching this season? As for the playoffs, don''t get me started. What a joke. We left it late in 01/02, and Palace did well in 03/04, but never has any team this lowly gone on to reach the playoffs. It simply aint gonna happen.

Really???

Does not suprise me in the slightest...  I am glad I never listened to it!!!

We may of turnes up and put in a spirited performance today but to anybody with a knowledge about how professionals at the top of their game work... Chelsea just rolled up their sleaves for a few minutes either side of half time and for the last 10mins and rolled us over as easily as taking candy off a baby in the end...

Of course we still have a big job on in hand to avoid relegation...  We are likely to come out of our 3 gemaes in hand with very few points if any at all and have a very tough run in...

This easily pleased nature by the vast majority of NCFC supporters is one of the fundamental reasons why we find ourselves in such a sad state of affairs today...

The vast majority of NCFC fans would still be praising everything the club does if we are sitting mid-table in Div 1 this time next year claiming that we only need to catch up 15 to 20 points in as many games to have a chance of regaining our place in the fizzy league...

Until the mindset of City''s fans changes in a BIG WAY the directors of NCFC will continue to take them for mugs year after year after year!!!

I think your desire to create a negative situation has prevented you from actually hearing what was said.

What was said is that if we continued to play play the way we did today, we would be in a position to challenge for a play off place.

NOT, if we play the way we have OR if Earnie was fit OR any other make believe comment you want to create.

I think that is totally correct. And how can you argue that performances like todays would not project us up the league.  We are where we are because we have been poor and so better performances like todays can only take us in one direction. Hop off the negative bandwagon for a second, if only to absorb what people are actually saying and not what you make up they are saying. Two very different things.

Yellow Rider,

1. I think it''s clear that despite the result, there has been euphoria not only today but in recent weeks as the team have improved. Not surprisingly there are a few ''over excitable'' fans today caught up in the moment. No harm in that. But us ''yellow spectacled propaganda'' may have a point in regards to your relegation hopes when we suggest that despite being only 5 points over the drop zone, we still have 3 games in hand. Win the games in hand and we''re 10 points from the play-offs. More importantly those 3 games in hand count for alot in a relegation battle. I don''t think many on here will think we''ll make the play-offs (I don''t), but we are looking good to avoid the drop. Agreed, losing Marshall is a big dissapointment, but I have faith in Gallagher, and plus...I don''t think a twisted ankle will rule Marsh out for the season.

2. Are you Smudgers fellow sibling? Chin up for christs sake!.

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]Why can''t you just enjoy the fact we played well today and be positive rather than immediately having to put a dampener on everything? Go on...I dare you....be positive!![/quote]

Go on! Be realistic!

I had a good day. But now, the real stuff starts! 

Yellow,

Sounds like its quite depressing living in Long Stratton. Have you really no better target for your cathartic vitriol than three people that call in to a Saturday tea time local radio phone in. Oh dear[:D]! Get back down to your village bus shelter and chill out.

Definitely agree with Yellow Rider.

There are some incredibly gullable people about, yes we are looking better after Wolves & Leeds, the scoreline did also flatter Chelsea by at least 2 goals, but these things do not make it plausible for us to get in the playoffs, we''ve left it 6 weeks to late at the least (damn transfer window!!!)

I think the best we can hope for is a good run of wins and a top 10 finish. For us to finish in the top 10 would be a real achievement given the position we are in at the moment.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

How about considering the following facts before any more of you fall for this latest ''yellow spectacled propoganda'':

• Ernie (our only recognised goalscorer) is likely to miss the rest of the season 

The only thing in our favour (and only if we take advantage) is our games in hand.

[/quote]

Typical of City fans Yellow Rider. They have always swung wildly between despair and euphoria.

The most important thing we can do this season is ensure we stay in this league. Everything else is pie in the sky.

Hearing people getting carried away by a 4-0 defeat is very strange. Hey, Reading Reserves nearly beat Man Utd at Old Trafford last night. Now that is a performance. Ok, I''m glad Chelsea didn''t completely roll us over, but you have to ask why certain players can motivate themselves for a match like this, and not the more import relegation-battle games in the Championship.Let''s just see if our lot can motivate themselves for a midweek game at Preston, then we''ll see where we are.

Actually, the first caller said ''If we continue to play like this then relegation won''t be a problem and we should be right up there'' - not in the play offs, note - ''and next season we can really go for it''.

Note - ''if we continue to play like this''

I''ve just confirmed it with her as she is standing next to me as I type this.

The second caller did indeed mention getting to the play-offs which is a bit far-fetched but he''s a nice bloke so please cut him some slack!

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

I really can''t believe all these gullable people now getting themselves in the media (Radio Norfolk phone in tonight) and still trumpeting our chances of the play offs! Unless of course  there was a rule change in the summer and there are now play offs to avoid relegation!

First caller said ......''no way will we get involved in the relegation zone'' (er, excuse me caller but we already are). Second caller said...''if we play like today with same team spirit we can still make the play offs'' 

Neil Adams......''we''re at least as good a side as Derby if not better''

Even the boy Grant has fallen for this mindset on the back of just one league win against a Leeds side who were riddled with injuries.

Ok so the performances for parts of the Wolves and Leeds games were a great improvement and I have high hopes for the two new jocks and Chris Martin but please, get real! Today''s injury to David Marshall could be a real body blow.

Still think we''ll make the play offs then? There''s as much chance of us being in the plays offs as the sun not rising in the morning.  

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more. Yesterday we were fantastcic, but now watch us fold at Preston on Tuesday night. (Meanwhile, onthe same night it''s Leeds v QPR and Barnsley v Hull.)

And on Saturday, Coventry will be rolling into town with their new manager. Typical.

For all Chelsea''s status & quality I don''t find losing to them 4 - 0 particuarly enjoyable and the fact that Etuhu decided to show up for once to put himself in the shop window actually pisses me off -  I think too many City fans are easily pleased through many years of indoctrination.

The way in which we conceded those two late goals is testament to how we''ve been for the last season & a half and nothing suggests that, that statistic will change for the better for the remainder of this season - combine the afforementioned with the loss of Earnshaw and our poor finishing, plus the crap set-pieces and we really will struggle to avoid relegation.

Yes, there were some encouraging performances from our players, but I want to see that kind of conviction on a consistent basis in the League before ringing out my commendations. 

In truth it was like watching a bored cat playing with a mouse. Chelsea were barely at a trot all game and allowed the City fans to enjoy their "big day out". Had they actually tried harder we would have got a serious hiding......and towards the end they banged in a couple just to prove a point.

Saddest thing for me is that we are now a club who actually get treated like minnows....even to the point of attracting the sympathic and condescending applause from Chelsea supporters generally reserved for valiant little losers. That it seems is what we really are nowadays.......and well done Squealia for that image.

Cluck,

This is a very unfair assesment of our performance imo. And I think that any condescension from Chelsea fans is more likely to do with the sheer difference in budget at our respective clubs than with the object of your obsession. How can we face a team with £110 million worth of players just across the front and be considered as anything other than ''minnows''?  

Just a mathematical point, but if we win our remaining 16 games left we will end up on 85pts, not 79 as someone stated - we are currently on 37, 16 games left = 48 to play for.  That would easily be enough for the play-offs (indeed, we can even ''afford'' to lose 2-3 games on the way!) - but of course it is extremely unlikely to happen.

That said, I would much rather look on the brighter side with those who would still wish us into the playoffs than sit with those doom merchants who a few weeks ago claimed we were dead certainties for relegation, and still seem to be getting off on that fact.  I am pretty sure that neither will happen and we will finish about 10th-12th, but for me the whole point of being a football supporter is to dream about what might happen, and there would be no point in going if I was convinced we''d lose every game.

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

In truth it was like watching a bored cat playing with a mouse. Chelsea were barely at a trot all game and allowed the City fans to enjoy their "big day out". Had they actually tried harder we would have got a serious hiding......and towards the end they banged in a couple just to prove a point.

Saddest thing for me is that we are now a club who actually get treated like minnows....even to the point of attracting the sympathic and condescending applause from Chelsea supporters generally reserved for valiant little losers. That it seems is what we really are nowadays.......and well done Squealia for that image.

[/quote]

Just a question - did you actually go to the game? 

Most of the posters who set so much store by what is said on Radio Norfolk and Canary Call don''t go to games Dicky. They watch it on the wireless and then listen to Canary Call and then come and rant on here. For them Canary Call is a big part of their afternoons entertainment. Check out what is posted on this messageboard during games and you will see for yourself.

For people who go to games Canary Call is just a little distraction on the periphery of the afternoons entertainment as they catch a few rants on their way home in the car. Calls like "I didn''t go to the game this afternoon but our tactics are too negative like the time Worthy brought on Sutch in the playoff final" To me Canary Call is just a radio version of that great film "One Flew Over The Cuckoo''s Nest"

[quote user="Dicky"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

[/quote]

Just a question - did you actually go to the game? 

[/quote]

Just a reply.....yes I did.            [:)]

I''m not saying it wasn''t entertaining....and I''m not saying City weren''t  "busy", but the truth is Chelsea were playing very much as if it were a friendly match and more or less only did what they had to do to win. If their "stars" had really turned it on we would have been swamped in no time....and a check of their goal "celebrations" will show how low key it all was for them.

I personally didn''t go for a "day out"....and as a club Chelsea are no better than Norwich City....so to be pleased with a 4-0 beating beggars belief for me. There were positives and I was pleased to see some decent football at times....but when it gets properly competitive as it will in the league from now on, that''s what will really matter.

I don''t wish to rain on anyone''s parade here....but it was little more than an exhibition match for Chelsea.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Most of the posters who set so much store by what is said on Radio Norfolk and Canary Call don''t go to games Dicky. They watch it on the wireless and then listen to Canary Call and then come and rant on here. For them Canary Call is a big part of their afternoons entertainment. Check out what is posted on this messageboard during games and you will see for yourself.

For people who go to games Canary Call is just a little distraction on the periphery of the afternoons entertainment as they catch a few rants on their way home in the car. Calls like "I didn''t go to the game this afternoon but our tactics are too negative like the time Worthy brought on Sutch in the playoff final" To me Canary Call is just a radio version of that great film "One Flew Over The Cuckoo''s Nest"

[/quote]

Pretty much a spot-on assessment, NN.

I think that '' Canary Call '' does have too many armchair critics. Almost invariably they begin, " I wasn''t at the game today Neil, but " and then let slip that the last time they visited Carrow Road we still had terraces .............

Most callers in general have very little new to say other than, " I can''t understand how the players dare to pick up their wages each week, Neil ", leaving Adams with little option than to go over the same old, " I don''t understand it either as on paper we''re up with the best in this League " response.

This is a common flaw in all local phone-in programmes but they do provide a good near instant outlet to discuss any controversial match decisions such as bad tackles, bookings, sendings off, poor officiating, etc.

Perhaps a few more streakers on match days would liven things up a bit..............??

[quote]

I''m not saying it wasn''t entertaining....and I''m not saying City weren''t  "busy", but the truth is Chelsea were playing very much as if it were a friendly match and more or less only did what they had to do to win. If their "stars" had really turned it on we would have been swamped in no time....and a check of their goal "celebrations" will show how low key it all was for them.

I personally didn''t go for a "day out"....and as a club Chelsea are no better than Norwich City....so to be pleased with a 4-0 beating beggars belief for me. There were positives and I was pleased to see some decent football at times....but when it gets properly competitive as it will in the league from now on, that''s what will really matter.

I don''t wish to rain on anyone''s parade here....but it was little more than an exhibition match for Chelsea.

[/quote]

Piffle!

how come Mourinho has come out after the game and said that we didnt deserve to Lose 4-0? he has said hat we were the better side for pretty much all of the game and that his players just simply werent good enough?

if you were a REAL city fan Cluck, and not some attention seeker you would of been as proud as hell of that performance and seen it for what it was.. we played well.. we made Chelsea look ordinary and it wasnt because they werent trying...

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote]

[/quote]

Piffle!

how come Mourinho has come out after the game and said that we didnt deserve to Lose 4-0? he has said hat we were the better side for pretty much all of the game and that his players just simply werent good enough?

if you were a REAL city fan Cluck, and not some attention seeker you would of been as proud as hell of that performance and seen it for what it was.. we played well.. we made Chelsea look ordinary and it wasnt because they werent trying...

[/quote]

Jose has always been a condescending b. @astard though Jas...

To know that he was going to come out with such comments at the end of the match was as easy to predict as the scoreline itself!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote]

[/quote]

Piffle!

[/quote]

Jose has always been a condescending b. @astard though Jas...

To know that he was going to come out with such comments at the end of the match was as easy to predict as the scoreline itself!!!

[/quote]

Smudger, I realise you don''t go to the games but, at the very least, perhaps you could "go to the dictionary" once in a while, find out what condescending means, and then put in a place where it fits. Not the case here.

Smudger,

This is pure piffle, I very rarely hear him say anything like that - his post match interviews usually smack of so much arrogance and self obsession there isn''t room for anything else. Face it, we put up a good fight for a lot of the game considering the massive gulf between us (which, despite Cluck''s assertion, isn''t Delia''s fault). You can either enjoy that for a while and hope we can carry it into the ''real'' world of league games or you can carry on with your hatred of everything presently connected with our club and trying to think of negative angles and criticising every possible aspect of what we are doing at the moment. The choice is yours.

This has gone off at a bit of a tangent (as usual)

I''m still waiting for an apology from the original poster for calling my wife a ''donkey'' and alleging she said something she didn''t.

And - by the way - we do go to games, home & (sometimes) away and would have gone to Chelsea if it hadn''t been for a family commitment. We watched the game on a big screen in a local pub so she wasn''t calling in ''blind''.

In fact, her call was a positive one - the lack of these is something people usually complain about. Somewhat ironic, don''t you think?

[quote user="jetstream"]This has gone off at a bit of a tangent (as usual) I''m still waiting for an apology from the original poster for calling my wife a ''donkey'' and alleging she said something she didn''t. And - by the way - we do go to games, home & (sometimes) away and would have gone to Chelsea if it hadn''t been for a family commitment. We watched the game on a big screen in a local pub so she wasn''t calling in ''blind''. In fact, her call was a positive one - the lack of these is something people usually complain about. Somewhat ironic, don''t you think?[/quote]

Why should you get an apology?

There are always posts on here aimed at various callers on Canary Call for saying this, that or whatever, yet they don''t come on in their droves asking for an apology.

Don''t take it so personally.