Sign in to follow this  
Mackemlad

Greetings everyone

Hello people.

Thought i would join up to your message board for a bit of banter as the seasons end draws closer, i am a huge Sunderland fan so am obviously taking more of an interest in Norwich and their form / results etc, so whats the general feeling amongst you lot ?? confident of going up ??? is our form worrying you ??? To be honest i would love to see both of us go up as i have alot of respect for Norwich and their fans especially after the 92 cup semi final.

SAFC 4EVA !!!!

Hi ya Mackem lad

Yes, in my eyes, your team are the main threat to us getting an auto spot to promotion - in form , in fourth and a game in hand.

What gives me great hope is the run of games you have coming up - The blades, wigan, ipswich, millwall, the baggies and of course ourselves - one tough run in where even with the best will in the world you will be dropping some points. Mix this with the diversion of a cup run - and hopefully a semi-final replay - it will be tough for you to sustain your form until the last game of the season.

I am hopeful of getting up to the SOL on the back of work to enjoy some further good banter with a good set of fans.

Good luck in the play-offs, where i fancy you to beat millwall - also in form but a very easy run in - in the final for that typical end of season twist.

OTBC

Hi Mackemlad and welcome to the banter. I have several friends and family in your neck of the woods and they have a lot of respect for our club as I do for your''s, a lot of it based upon the friendly match you refer to. Obviously we are all desperate to get back to where we feel we belong, but no one is really taking anything for granted so, although many are reasonably confident I think it is safe to say that no one will start any partying until it is mathematically confirmed. (I''ve noticed champagne on offer in several supermarkets around here lately, but haven''t succumbed yet...if you see what I mean).
Your recent form seems to be largely good, Cardiff excepted, but you still have to play several of the top teams which could prove your undoing. Still, if you win all of those and the games against the lower teams, and we don''t get the four or five wins we think we still need, then you will deserve to go up. I believe you are going to be missing one of your most influential players of this season for five games soon. (Isn''t Jeff Whitley banned due to two recent sendings off?) Could this cause you problems or do you have a more than adequate replacement for him? Also, although great for you to be in the FA Cup semis against Millwall - and I really hope you beat them, and believe that you will - do you think that this could hinder you in the end due to your fixture congestion?
One last thing I''ve just thought of...if you don''t make it to the Prem do you think you will have to lose some players before next season? Reason I ask is I seem to remember hearing that SAFC is in considerable debt at the moment and may not be able to sustain their current level of expenditure. It would be a shame, but seems the inevitable fate of most clubs that are relegated from the Prem, with a few exceptions, like West Brom.
Look forward to your thoughts on these points. Nice to hear from a sensible guest on here!

Welcome Mackemlad. One of our directors here is a huge Sunderland fan and reckons you''re going to Cardiff twice in May and the second visit isn''t for an FA Cup replay.

Should he be wrong, I''d be delighted if you claimed second spot, provided it''s at the expense of the Baggies !!!!

Alright mate.

To be honest with you our run in does not phase me, i think we have more than enough quality to come away with points from these games, the division is poor in my opinion and these sides are beatable, we have already gained two wins over Sheff Utd and Ipswich this season so iam confident, if we had not dropped stupid home points to the likes of Rotherham, Cardiff, Stoke, Preston, Coventry we would be walking the division, as for you''s and WBA we are very strong at home ( unbeaten in 17 ) and should get decent points from the two games, anyway regardless its going to be exciting and we are only one game away from europe, Mccarthy had done an amazing job, remember we lost 23 players in pre season and are still fourth but again that is probably more down to the actual quality of this league.

FAO Susie B

Yes Jeff Whitley is going to be out for a long time with suspension but i dont think this should hamper us to much we will probably play Sean Thornton in the middle ( you may of seen his free kicks of late ) and put Matthew Piper wide right who has been injured for months but is very talented indeed, as for the semi final i believe it will go one of two ways if we win then the whole club will be on a massive high and we will take this into the remaining games of the season, if we loose it could be devastating for for the lads and may effect us badly on the pitch. If we dont go up then i would imagine we may have to loose some of the class we have but hopefully the extra income from the cup run may stave off the vultures for a little while longer, here is my ideal Sunderland team from now untill the end of the season and i think they have enough to fo it

Poom
McCartney Breen Babb Wright

Arca Thornton McCateer Piper

Smith Kyle

Subs

Myhre
Oster
Byfield
Cooper
Whitley

Arca is the key we need him back asap as i believe he is the most gifted player in this division and is definitley premiership class

I have to agree with you about Arca, he is a class above any other player in this league and I have been an admirer since he joined you a couple of seasons ago.

You do now have some strength in depth which many of the competitors in this league do not - us included. Whilst I agree the quality of the league is not fantastic there top 6 teams are very closely matched with litte top choose between them and no team seemingly able to put a real winning run together - perhaps you are about to embark on one and you do have the ability to do so. However I would be surprised if you dont lose another two games at least by the end of the season or drop points during the tough run.

As for dropping points to silly teams the same can be said to all the prmotion hopefuls - the baggies only got 1 pt out of the dons for example and we have lost at home to watford and Bradford of all teams.. All this does is emphasise how competetive the league is. We can all say IF we had won these games we would be top etc - the hammers fans I know start any footie conversation with that followed quickly by how they are the biggest team in the division and have the best players. That may be the case but they will still struggle to make even the play offs on current form.

Like others I would like to see you in the premier with us and hopefully at the expense of the blades and baggies in particular - however my prediction is a 3rd place finish for you.

OTBC

Your totally right Zipper every team in the league can play the "if we had won that game" card its now all about the games that are coming up and its just nice to be involved, after our first two games in this league i was dreading a Sheffield Wedensday scenario. Its going to be tough but we have alot of experience in our squad now who have played at the higest level so iam hoping they can handle the pressure, thats what it will come down to now who handles it best and your last two away results have given me confidence. Saturday should be a win for you''s but Stoke will come and frustrate you like they did up here the other night and they have a very good central midfield player who may just create something for them.

Whats your run in ???? and i would appreciate your predictions on the games

Welcome to the message board. I agree with Zipper - you will probably finish third although I would much rather you went up than the boring baggies. A little lesson from history though, the year we beat you in the Milk Cup final we beacme so sidetracked that we ended up getting relegated. I know this is a slightly different scenario with the final being played after the end of the season, but it is a very real danger that you can become focussed on just one competition and let the league form slip. There doesnt however seem to be any sign of this happening at the moment and you have what is on paper a fairly easy home fixure this weekend.
Hope you make it long as its not at our expense. Dont particularly want to be facing West Brom or even worse Sheff Utd next season.