Sign in to follow this  
Ark

Chris Brown

I''m not the manager, so I think I''m allowed to pick out individual players for criticism.Yesterday, Chris Brown was second to every ball, didn''t hold up the ball well and looked poor with the ball at his feet. I thought the rest of the team did their bit as well as could be expected. Saf and Etuhu held their own well in the centre in particular (considering what they were up against and how poor we''ve been in this regard of late). Lappin and Croft brought good balance on the wings. Hux found good positions and made some good defensive contributions. The back four generally looked strong and linked up pretty well on the wings.... So, although a target man can be useful, I''d definitely give Chris Martin a go in the next league outing and leave Brown to fight his way back into the team.

dont think i can disagree with u anymore

i thought brown was amazin yesterday, he won a good majority of the balls to him, brought them down well and layed them off exceptionally well -- hence why croft and lappin played very well.

were u at the game or have u just seen the 2mins om MOTD, cos brown had prob his best game yesterday

I thought Brown did alright yesterday and against Blackpool the other night he was tremendous. I don''t see any need for him to ''fight his way back into the team'' that suggests he hasn''t been doing his bit, and he has.

We''re away at Preston in the next league game aren''t we? I don''t think it''d be fair on Chris Martin to expect him to lead the line against them, he''s not cut out for that.

Chris Martin in the team...but not at the expense of Chris Brown.

I too thought Chris Brown had a good game. I have been impressed with him so far. He certainly wasn''t second to every ball, that''s for sure.

He let the ball run too far away from him at times and he was again isolated at times. 442 with Hucks up front drifting wide means that he will be. He does a lot of work to keep posession for us and we had more posession in their half than we had in each of our two pevious visits to Stamford Bridge. There can be no doubt some of the credit for that must be Browns.

You arrive to funny conclusions. Chris Brown had a good game, and did well to hold up the ball for aslong as he did.

i also thought he done really well worked hard and held the ball up ,also thought he was rather isolated just wondered if it would have worked better if martin had been up front with brown rather than huxs

I thought he had a good game too. often got in ahead of the chelsea defenders, got the ball down and distributed it. no mean feat against Terry and co.

I have to admit that Chelsea was the first live game where I''ve seen Brown in action. I''ll also admit that he was left on his own at times, and generally his positioning was fairly good - I say that he was second to too many balls because he seemed so sluggish to react to 50-50 balls, his own first touches etc... But he just looked clumsy on too many occasions... He struggled to take the high balls down to feet, and his passing was downright awful at times. Plus he just didn''t look dangerous in the box.

browns game is similar to iwans used to be - except he needs to physically mature to properly execute his role.  he''s  about strength and hold up - not instinctive reactions.  expect to see him develop rapidly next 2 years.  if he''s not producing the goods by then, we''ll have bought a lemon.  i hoping he come through a makes the grade for us. 

one thing though - at corners and set pieces, i suggest brown is kept on the half-way line.  he''s not defensive minded and makes costly errors in the box.

I thought Brown played as well as any of our on sat- his hold up play and tenaciousness were superb- he battled and harried and chased all game. In fact I would go further and say he was one of the main reasons we did so well- because the ball wasn''t always pinging back he could lay it off to Lappin or Saf or Croft and keep the attack moving. Only downside was the bounce off his chest for the second goal, remember Iwan started off slowly and became a legend- this guy has many of the same attributes and once he has found his feet and an understanding with the team he could really blossom.

Okay... clearly I was watching his game through an over-critical lens. I wish the guy all the best, and hope he matures into a top player... And, perhaps, starts scoring a few goals.Also, it''s good to see how many are leaping to the defence of one of Grant''s new signings!

Don''t be too hard on yourself, Ark. Brown needs time to mature and work on some aspects of his game. You made some good points about his apparent clumsiness and lack of pace, at least these areas can be improved on, his basic game is fine. I can''t comment on his game against Chelsea, as I was reliant on t''radio and you don''t get a proper feel for how he played from that. I have him down to score by the end of the Barnsley game, but accept he may not really blossom until next season.

Some good touches and movement.

I think he needs a week or two on the Lee Croft diet to bulk him up a bit.

Still prefer Chris Martin though.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]one thing though - at corners and set pieces, i suggest brown is kept on the half-way line.  he''s not defensive minded and makes costly errors in the box.[/quote]

Our corners and set pieces or the oppositions, or both..? *winks*

The big worry about him is that he has barely had an effort on goal in the games he has played. We do not score enough goals from other areas to be able to have strikers in the team who aren''t regular scorers. Look at our squad;

Colin - never scored

Drury - no goals for 2 years

Doc - Hasn''t scored for 16 months

Shackell - never scored

Croft - No goals since August

Hughes - No goals in 11 months

Etuhu - No goals since in 3 months

Safri - 1 goal in 16 months

McVeigh - No goals in 11 months

Thorne - 1 goal in last 12 months

As can be seen only Earnie, Dublin & Hux have scored with any kind of regularity in the last 12 months.

i would just like to say, i think chris brown has played very well since he has been here. he is not a 25 goals a season striker like earny and is instead probably earnies perfect foil, strong, holds the ball up well and lays it off for other to work their probably more skill than he has... he will pop up with th odd goal now and again say 8-10 in a season and i think it is a shame we won''t get to see them playing together until next season! in my opinion he should start upfront alongside martin tomorrow

I thought chris brown played really well on saturday and remember he was playing against some world class defenders, he also had a very good game against blackpool

i jus think he could do with a goal and then he will be firing them in!

Stevie Wonder just called to say..................

The big worry about him is that he has barely had an effort on goal in the games he has played. We do not score enough goals from other areas to be able to have strikers in the team who aren''t regular scorers. Look at our squad;

Colin - never scored

Drury - no goals for 2 years

Doc - Hasn''t scored for 16 months

Shackell - never scored

Croft - No goals since August

Hughes - No goals in 11 months

Etuhu - No goals since in 3 months

Safri - 1 goal in 16 months

McVeigh - No goals in 11 months

Thorne - 1 goal in last 12 months

As can be seen only Earnie, Dublin & Hux have scored with any kind of regularity in the last 12 months.

Some interesting stats there! Which really do tell a story. As for Brown, he looks a lot like Iwan on the pitch. I hope he develops, he looks a little lethargic all the time in his general demeanor but seems to be tenacious when called into action. I like him, I think he''s a different striker to what we have at the Club and he is still very young. I will continue to champion him as I think he can make the grade.

I have high hopes for him. Yes it is early to say and, yes, it does sound like a cliche but I think he has very similar attributes to Iwan, and we all know the start he made here. I hope we can give him a chance. He desperately needs a goal to settle in, lets hope he can get it tonight.

[quote user="joshmickelburgh"]    i would just like to say, i think chris brown has played very well since he has been here. he is not a 25 goals a season striker like earny and is instead probably earnies perfect foil, strong, holds the ball up well and lays it off for other to work their probably more skill than he has... he will pop up with th odd goal now and again say 8-10 in a season and i think it is a shame we won''t get to see them playing together until next season! in my opinion he should start upfront alongside martin tomorrow
[/quote]

Take it you haven''t heard yet that Brown was signed as Earnie''s replacement???  Playing alongside him is never going to happen!!!

[quote user="Alex"]Chris Brown wi11 prove to be a qua1ity signing...[/quote]

i take it the L key doesnt work on the Keyboard?

they can be popped off and cleaned, but be careful that the white fitting underneath doesnt break.

jas :)