Sign in to follow this  
bigbear

strrange team selection

Can anyone throw any light on why Grant played Hughes at right back last night.  We have spaces needing to be filled in centre midfield.  Instead of playing Hughes there, he plays Docherty, who has started in that role once before and was useless.  Ok, hughes is possibly a better right back than midfielder, but surely he must be better than Doc there.  We have Colin, who has played well this season, dropped, and won''t even be brought in to cover the injuries.  Doc, could''ve been on the bench, to come on when Dublin got injured, still allowing Lappin to be on the wing to try to supply balls to Martin and Brown. 

I only listened to the match on the radio just after the 1st goal, so I don''t now what happened before that, but until we went 2-0 down, yet again, was the time that we actually started playing.  This happens far too many times.  Sounds like McVeigh actually played well when he came back on, maybe he was promised a bonus of a pie after the game if he was good.  We certainly seem to have played a bit better of late, but I think Grant really had his tactics all wrong, until it was almost too late.

Hopefully, with Hucks back, and a fully fit midfield, we might be able to beat Coventry.  Just a pity that Dublin will probably be out

It did astound me too bigbear.  Colin at right back and Hughes in the middle is far stronger than than Hughes on the right and Doc in the middle - of all the positions doc will struggle at central mid is always going to be his worst.

It does wonder what Colin has done to get such a cold shoulder...       

I listened to the game & couldn''t believe my ears! I was screaming at the radio "Put Hughes in midfield & replace Dion with the Doc & Put McVeigh on the left" I felt sorry for Martin really his first start & he ends up on the left wing after a few minutes!

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Doherty in midfield!!  I had to laugh... 

Martin at left wing whilst Mcveigh was up top!  Having said that Macca had a decent game.  Can anybody who went comment??

Grant tactically has been awful so far.

[/quote]

You are right CJF. McVeigh had a decent game when he came on and was part of many good things in the second half. He must have given Grant food for thought but having said that haven''t we been here before?