Sign in to follow this  
NottsCanary

Right or Wrong Direction?

I''ve been reading the posts for the past few weeks now and was wondering if the posters on here think that under Grant and Duffy we are heading in a more positive direction than under Worthy and Livermore?

Although results have been poor of late, I feel like our performances are generally improving and if Earnie was fit, I''m sure we would be further up the table. Carry on like we are playing and I''m sure we''ll pick enough points up at home to see us safe.

For me, Grant has seen problems in the team that Worthy didn''t, i.e. terrible goalkeeping, realising Doherty is actually useless, adding more creative players to the team and players who give more width. 

I for one think we''ll be safe come end of the season, and we can look to shape the team around Earnie for promotion next year? Anyone with me? Smudger?

Mr Wright! Long time no speaky!I think we are generally heading in the right direction, and early reports from Preston indicate we played okay enough, but we need to get a goalscorer in on loan ASAP, before Coventry this weekend if possible, and a new defender with Dion now out.  The next few days could be Grant''s biggest test so far...

I doubt earnie will be sold in the summer.  But agree that he will probably go next season, january is my bet when he proves his fitness after injury.

I personally expect to see the established players go like Doherty, Thorne, Hughes and Safri.  Players who have probably got big contracts, and in all fairness could easily be replaced with cheaper alternatives.

Under Grant and Duffy we are moving in the right direction.  But as I have said before this club needs a complete rebuild, and that is going to take a long long time. 

I share your optimism that Grant is taking us in the right direction. We now have left-right balance, cover for Drury and centre midfield. Brown could come good, and I think that Chadwick will add to the firepower. Grant  does seem to make some attempt to adapt tactics and team selection to counter opponents, although given the squad size/quality and injuries his scope has been limited. I think that he is beginning to improve the confidence and resilience of the team. At Preston the depleted team came within an inch or two of a draw, which would have been a good result.Not least, he has arranged for some deadwood to go, and clearly has decided which remaining deadwood will go in the summer.I think that relegation will be a real battle, unless we can acquire a predator/striker and central defender on loan, and relegation is a real possibility. It could go right down to the wire. The reasons I say this are several:- the poor quality left by Worthington, a limited squad in number made up with youngsters most of who will not make the grade.- the fixture backlog, and important players like Dion and Safs who will struggle to play twice in most weeks.- the appalling injuries - not just Ernie, but Chadwick and now Marshall. (At Preston he lacked Hux/Ernie, Safs/Etuhu, and Marshall - that''s half a team out) One or two more lomgish injuries and a couple of suspensions and we could even struggle to put out a side.

Sorry Jamie - there is absolutely no doubt Earnshaw will be sold in the summer. We won''t be able to afford his wages and "some" of the money (after its gone into Roger Munbys big pot) will be given to Grant to totally rebuild the squad.

I would expect other high earners to be on their way out aswell - some we may be happy to see the back of (Thorne, McVeigh, Docherty, Etutu) some we may not (Safri). This past transfer window has shown the financial resources we have at our disposal so don''t expect too much in terms of known quality coming in. 

If we did keep the core of the team together and add to it - then I agree it could be a better season next year but don''t kid yourself we will be challenging the championship play off places.

[quote]Earnie will be sold in summer-Doomcaster has demonstrated the financial

necessity for this -after all Brown is raw talent and a  prolific

goalscorer so we don''t need 2[/quote]On the basis that you hinted that Thorne would be leaving in January, I''m not sure you''re in any position to be commenting on Earnshaw.

I strongly believe Grant has got us going in the right direction.  I think he still needs to get rid of some of the deadwood and bring in some new players, particularly in the centre of defence and up front, but potentially I think we could be challenging for the play offs next season.

Don''t agree, sorry.  Earnshaw will come back in the summer following a horrific groin injury.  If he got sold then it would probably be at a loss, based on his fitness etc.etc.  Plus if some of the other big earners, hughes, doherty, safri, mcveigh and thorne go then that might help to fund earnshaws wages.

I agree that we won''t see known quality come in, too expensive.  I do however expect to see players like Pugh and the other bury prospect (name escapes me) Edwards from Shrewsbury, Hayter from Bournemouth.  I am not saying specifically these players, but players of that ilk.

Finally, would we really be that gutted if Safri went.  We need someone who can play every single game, not every other.  And I disagree that Etuhu should go, he does have real potential and on his day is one of the bet in the league.  I think we need to push him to produce week in week out.

How many times has a club been heading in the right direction and too good to be relegated only to be relegated. Please, smell the coffee and realise that city are in the s*** and will struggle to remain in the championship.

as soon as the F.A. bring in the Ice Skating scoring of points for artistic impression we will be in the Prem.

If you do not score you do not win. Nice try boys, there there.

A mixed bag for me.

Purchases - Some good buys some crap buys but good overall as he has no cash.

Releasing players - Good stuff with Robbo going, more to follow in the summer.

Loans - Good stuff.  If only our previous ''Great'' manager had done this.

Results - Awful

Tactics - Appalling

League position - Worse than under the last idiot

Peter Thorne - Still getting games.

Is Peter Grant a long term solution?  I don''t think so. I don''t think he will get us out of this division.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Mr Wright! Long time no speaky!

I think we are generally heading in the right direction, and early reports from Preston indicate we played okay enough, but we need to get a goalscorer in on loan ASAP, before Coventry this weekend if possible, and a new defender with Dion now out.  The next few days could be Grant''s biggest test so far...
[/quote]

Yes, long time no speak. May start posting more, lot of good banter going round at the minute.

In regards to this question, I feel we are heading in the right direction. I can''t see Earnie leaving myself, but if he does, we will pick up a reasonable transfer fee. And if Grant can find players as good as Lappin for only £100''000, then there must be some quality out there (probably Scotland or lower leagues) within our budget, if Earnie goes.

Massive game saturday though, massive.

I agree that Grant is doing as well as can be expected of him... it wouldn''t matter if we had Martin O''Neill as manager however with the poor tools that we currently have at the managers disposal...

A squad that is poor in terms of quality and so lightweight it is untrue...  I feel sorry for Peter Grant he is trying to swim against the tide with bricks tied around his legs and ankles... for god sake Delia help him out before it is too late!!!

I reckon PG lies awake at night regretting the day that he took this job... because make no mistake, take NCFC down and his short-lived management career will be as good as over before it has begun!!!

Who knows what direction? I don''t even think the ''powers that be'' have any idea which way we''re heading.

If Coventry ''do us'' it will only add to more pressure, and I''m afraid we have neither the players or the confidence to drag us out of the quagmire we have myopically and aimlessly wandered into in.

I''ll be cheering and groanin'' on Saturday as per-usual. But, I admit, I''m seriously concerned that we will spiral into the depths of hell - if we don''t beat Coventry.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Who knows what direction? I don''t even think the ''powers that be'' have any idea which way we''re heading.

If Coventry ''do us'' it will only add to more pressure, and I''m afraid we have neither the players or the confidence to drag us out of the quagmire we have myopically and aimlessly wandered into in.

I''ll be cheering and groanin'' on Saturday as per-usual. But, I admit, I''m seriously concerned that we will spiral into the depths of hell - if we don''t beat Coventry.

[/quote]

Oh well, maybe Delia will feel at home there???  [6]

Why will he be sold in the summer? There have not been many enquiries up to now. Will the Board sell him at a loss merely to get cash?I think that he is borderline Premiership, so buyers will probably be Championship. Why seel him to them?

[quote user="Salopian"]Why will he be sold in the summer? There have not been many enquiries up to now. Will the Board sell him at a loss merely to get cash?

I think that he is borderline Premiership, so buyers will probably be Championship. Why seel him to them?
[/quote]

Think what you like Earnie is proven Premiership and will definetly be gone in the Summer for £5million or so...

How little of that will PG see however???

[quote user="Salopian"]Why will he be sold in the summer? There have not been many enquiries up to now. Will the Board sell him at a loss merely to get cash?

I think that he is borderline Premiership, so buyers will probably be Championship. Why seel him to them?
[/quote]

it boils down to Earnies attitude.. and his attitude wont want to play for a piss poor league 1 side will it?

jas :)

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

A mixed bag for me.

Purchases - Some good buys some crap buys but good overall as he has no cash.

Releasing players - Good stuff with Robbo going, more to follow in the summer.

Loans - Good stuff.  If only our previous ''Great'' manager had done this.

Results - Awful

Tactics - Appalling

League position - Worse than under the last idiot

Peter Thorne - Still getting games.

Is Peter Grant a long term solution?  I don''t think so. I don''t think he will get us out of this division.

[/quote]

it''s difficult for PG - he inherited a poor small squad very low on conifdence who had just lost 4-1 at home to burnley when in all honesty it could''ve been an even worse result!. I''m not surprised that the results have been generally poor (aside from decent wins over the brum, WBA, Cardiff in particular) but at least he has tried to expand the squad with limited funds. Earnie''s loss doesn''t help the cause, i think that with him in the team we would have picked up more points recently. If PG can keep us up this season then he''ll have done well in my opinion because if Worthy was inexplicably still at the club i think we''d be where leeds are now. We need wins though and fast. I''m trying to stay positive and one positive is that the bottom 3 aren''t really winning or making serious ground on us at the moment although obviously barnsley, luton and coventry had good results last night. I still believe that there are at least 3 worse teams in this division than us!.

I''m yet to be convinced by Peter Grant, I''m always a bit worried about his team selection (amongst various other things). But I like to give people a chance so we shall see.

Whatever people want to say about Worthy the fact is that under him we were once the best side in this league, absolutely no question about it. Are we going to be like that under Peter Grant?

agreed, we are looking better, but injuries could scupper our progress - relying on a forward line of young martin and brown isn''t on in my view- we  need a  decent  loan striker in.   easier  said than done,  but  the city board  have known  about  earnie  for  weeks  now.