Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Underestimating Dickson.

Our three big  players so far this season have been Huckerby, Etuhu and Shackell who are currently rated #31, #59 and #68 respectively in the PA Sports Top 100 player Actim Index for the Coca Cola Championship. The only other City player at this time to feature in the Top 100 is Earnshaw at #84.

I am sure that there is no motivation within PA Sports - a child of the Press Association (PA) and multinational in scope - to manipulate these ratings. Any inaccuracies in ratings will also tend to even out over time - 30 league matches so far.

Now, we know that City fans - at least those on this board - rate Huckerby, Earnshaw and Shackell (to some extent) highly.

But Dickson Etuhu is widely and roundly criticised and slagged off.

I submit that Worthington, Grant and the PA Sports Actim Index are probably right, and those many of you who slag off Dickson are wrong. Now, if this is the case, it begs the question - Why?

Anybody like to attempt a reasoned answer?

[I strongly suspect that if we took him to our hearts and showed him love and support we would not be able to keep those greedy Premiership hands off him].

And that''s my contribution to Valentine''s Day.

One love.

OTBC

I saw the index last week BBB and thought the same thing. Maybe I wasn''t being fair, maybe Dickson is such a big bloke that I am expecting him to power around and I end up not giving him credit for what he actually does. So on Tuesday I tried to look at him more objectively and guess what? He was terrible, horrible, could not pass and generally looked like he didn''y give a damb. So how can this be.

1.   He started the season very well and has gradually tailed off to his current low point. The figures are squewed against his current performances because of this, although it does show he CAN do it.

2   The supporters don''t like players who they feel are not giving their all. It maybe that Dickson is doing ok in some games but we can all see that he has so much more to give.

3   Most importantly the Actim index does not record the fact that Dickson ambles around, often lets players run away from him with the ball, does not close down in midfield or block shots etc in the penalty area. These are all things a player like Gary Holt would do better at and yet would not be record on the index. 

In short its what he dosen''t do that people slagg him off for.  

Fair point on Dickson, but you have to wonder how these stats are compiled if Earnie is only 84th ????

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]Fair point on Dickson, but you have to wonder how these stats are compiled if Earnie is only 84th ????[/quote]

Because he misses a fair few?  Doesn''t provide anything, maybe his passing isn''t good, heading isn''t good etc?

I think this has been discussed before - Dickson will win a tackle, or Header, thus the index gets its marks...  he will then have no idea what to do with the ball, he will then disappear for 20 minutes from the game altogether. Then he will put in a good pass get the actim marks, and disappear again. 

Being in central midfield thuis normally means the opposition midfielders can control the game.

I really think it is all to do with reading the game, and Etuhu just cannot read the game at all.  When you campare this to Safri''s play it shows him up completely.

We dont underestimate him, he underestimates himself.

You can see he has the physical prescence to be the best central midfielder in this league.

Currently, he must be the laziest.

A few good blocks, header hear and there, and passing sidewards won''t win over me, as im sure it wont alot of city fans.

hogesar

I don''t doubt that ob1, I''m just surprised, having banged in 17 goals, that he''s in such a low position, that''s all. 

I followed the thoughts on DE posted over recent months and spent a lot of time tues night watching him. IMHO he didnt make many more errors than anyone else from either team and seemed to be positevely involved in most of Citys good play. Overall I thought he justified his continual selection.

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]Fair point on Dickson, but you have to wonder how these stats are compiled if Earnie is only 84th ????[/quote]Probably because he''s pretty one dimensional - that one dimension is goals! As ob1 says - he doesn''t tackle, head, cross, pass. He just scores goals. Lots of goals. And that''s fine by me!

I am never ever basing my opinions on players on theactim index or wateva its called. If you look at some of the players who are doing well on it, and some who arent it really should show you enough to disregsrd it. It seems to me actim bases its marks on pointless statistics rather than on actula key performances.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Now, we know that City fans - at least those on this board - rate Huckerby, Earnshaw and Shackell (to some extent) highly.

I submit that Worthington, Grant and the PA Sports Actim Index are probably right, and those many of you who slag off Dickson are wrong. Now, if this is the case, it begs the question - Why?

[/quote]

I can offer you a reason why BBB but I fully expect to be slagged off for saying it.

Worthington, Grant and the PA Sports Actim Index understand the game and are doing a job where as us fans pay our money to be entertained. Us fans have preconceived ideas of what we want from players and don''t always see it the way it really is. And we don''t always understand the game or the jobs players are expected to do.

Does anybody seriously believe that if Dickson was as lazy as fans make out he would still be selected week in week out. He may have his faults but being lazy isn''t one of them.

If you want further evidence of this just check out ZLF''s scapegoat thread. Many fans believe that The Doc gives away freekicks that cost us goals and yet the facts dispute this. If you check it out you will see that this season we have only conceded one goal from a freekick conceded by The Doc and that was by all accounts a refereeing error. I bet Worthington, Grant and the PA Sports Actim Index know the truth though.

Anyway, as in the case of Carl Robinson, the manager will select the strongest side he has available. He will bring in new players to improve the side and when he does some players who were automatic selections will be moved on.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

I can offer you a reason why BBB but I fully expect to be slagged off for saying it.

Worthington, Grant and the PA Sports Actim Index understand the game and are doing a job where as us fans pay our money to be entertained. Us fans have preconceived ideas of what we want from players and don''t always see it the way it really is. And we don''t always understand the game or the jobs players are expected to do.

Does anybody seriously believe that if Dickson was as lazy as fans make out he would still be selected week in week out. He may have his faults but being lazy isn''t one of them.

If you want further evidence of this just check out ZLF''s scapegoat thread. Many fans believe that The Doc gives away freekicks that cost us goals and yet the facts dispute this. If you check it out you will see that this season we have only conceded one goal from a freekick conceded by The Doc and that was by all accounts a refereeing error. I bet Worthington, Grant and the PA Sports Actim Index know the truth though.

Anyway, as in the case of Carl Robinson, the manager will select the strongest side he has available. He will bring in new players to improve the side and when he does some players who were automatic selections will be moved on.

[/quote]

Do you want evidence there are some rubbish players in the side Nutty - look at the league table this year and last. Etuhu is still a weak link.  He is rubbish, we see it, preston fans saw it....  Is he lazy - probably not, is he slow - perhaps.  Can he read a game of football - I think my mum has a better chance than this guy.  The quicker this joker is out of the side the sooner we will start climbing the league. There is talk of Dead wood -well Etuhu is some we may get some mullah for...

Pre season against Cambridge summed him up - he was out of his depth.

Notice how well we have done since dead wood Carl ''big pile of ****'' Robinson has left the club!

Worthington thought Andy Hughes would make a good central midfielder and that he and Jarrett composed a ''Wealth of midfielders''....  So don''t use his flawed judgement of the last 2/3 seasons matey.

Eboohoo is rubbish and we will not miss him from teh team teh moment he is finally dropped - just as we arent missing Hooze and Bobinson now.

My frustration with Dickson is that he could do so much more.

The actim stats are built around challenges, blocks, headers and completed passes.  You will find that strikers and central midfielders in particular do well in these stats because they make repeated short passes which count as a successful pass.  Players like Safri who look to prise a game apart with an incisive but risky pass get penalised for having unsuccessful passes,  but usually create more goals.

What Etuhu does is defend well at corners and usually puts in a good 10 mins where he does brealk up pay.  His passing is usually sideways and safe so scores well.  He attacks at corners but over the last 3 home games has had 5/6 free headers which he has not met with conviction - at least 2 of those he should have scored.  Conviction to me seems to be what he is missing most.

I agree that he seems incapable of reading the game at all and if the ball is not with 10 yards of him in his direct line of vision he seems to amble.   He is unable to appreciate the value of intelligent movement either when attacking or defending.

If he stood up for 90 mins and learnt how to read a game he could be oh so much more than the ambling oaf that he presents at the moment.

He does add value,  but we can get more from him,  or more improtantly we can get a more complete contribution from the likes of fozzy who seem to want to defend and create.

As for earnie - scoring goals counts for a lot;  it just shows how poor his link up play is that he sits so low in the tables. 

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you want evidence there are some rubbish players in the side Nutty - look at the league table this year and last. Etuhu is still a weak link.  He is rubbish, we see it, preston fans saw it....  Is he lazy - probably not, is he slow - perhaps.  Can he read a game of football - I think my mum has a better chance than this guy.  The quicker this joker is out of the side the sooner we will start climbing the league. There is talk of Dead wood -well Etuhu is some we may get some mullah for...

Pre season against Cambridge summed him up - he was out of his depth.

Notice how well we have done since dead wood Carl ''big pile of ****'' Robinson has left the club!

Worthington thought Andy Hughes would make a good central midfielder and that he and Jarrett composed a ''Wealth of midfielders''....  So don''t use his flawed judgement of the last 2/3 seasons matey.

Eboohoo is rubbish and we will not miss him from teh team teh moment he is finally dropped - just as we arent missing Hooze and Bobinson now.

[/quote]

So what part of my post are you disagreeing with CJF??? [8-)]

Does anybody actually know how the Actim Index works? How do you score points, how do you lose points, hos does the second top scorer in the division only rank as the 84th best player? I haven''t got a clue how it works to be honest and would appreciate anyones thoughts.

I''m presuming it''s similar to Pro-Zone which is the incredibly reliable sytem that tells Steve McLaren that his players were brilliant after each defeat!

I happen to agree with BBB that a lot of Etuhu''s problems are mental ones, but how long do you give him to realise that he''s never going to win over the fans if he gives the impression that he couldn''t care less?

Peter Grant''s take on this issue.

Let''s hear it for Dickson

PADDY DAVITT

Norwich boss Peter Grant is backing his midfield enforcer Dickson Etuhu to win over the Carrow Road faithful.

Grant insists the 24-year-old has the potential to become a key cornerstone of his Canary revolution after recent improved displays in the City engine room.

“People who have seen him at Norwich more than I have over the last few years maybe look and get frustrated,” said Grant.

“Some of the criticism has been very unjust at times but he has taken it and responded the way I would expect top players to respond.

“It would be great if he could hear supporters chanting his name because it would show he has turned a corner in the last few games. I think he deserves the plaudits.

“There''s no doubt in my mind. I''ve worked with some Premier League midfielders and I think he has the attributes to match that. Look at the Chelsea cup game. Was there a better player on the pitch against top, top internationals? Was Frank Lampard better? Not in that game. No chance.

“Consistency is the thing. If he can do it against the best then he has to do it consistently at this level because that is where he is at. If he continues to do that I''ll be more than delighted and he''ll be a big, big player for us.”

Grant admits his central midfield unit seems guaranteed a rough ride.

“It''s probably a nightmare for our central midfielders because I was one myself,” he said. “That is probably the biggest single area I have most arguments with players about what their jobs should be - making sure they create, be defensive, score goals, set up chances. If you don''t do those things you won''t be in my team. I won''t let Dickson rest. To be fair I can probably only pick two or three games when he has not played well since I came here. His work ethic and commitment can never be questioned. It''s a very, very difficult position. You have to both defend and attack and do something in possession. That is the hard part - when you are handed the ball - and he has to get better at that.”

The City chief is striving to smooth those rough edges from the ex-Preston powerhouse''s game.

“I felt he should have come out and blocked the ball for the Derby goal last week, but he learned from it,” said Grant. “Against Cardiff I thought he was outstanding - the best player on the pitch by a million miles. It was the same the other evening. He covers a terrific amount of yards up and down, box to box, but he should''ve scored two goals from set plays and he knows that himself. It was probably the only downside to his performance because he should have beaten the boy Bendtner twice when he managed to clear it off the line. Darren Huckerby scored a superb goal on the night but Dickson and Saf were excellent as well.”

Norwich City - latest stories

Looks to me as if Peter is getting Huckerby, Saffri and Etuhu onside for him.

If so, good management Peter.

Particularly as these are probably our real class players.

OTBC

BBB - it is hard to square what most posters on here report having see Dickson perform home and away with a top 50 position and the managers glowing report - other than we allknow it is in him but seems to shy to come out of its shell often enough.

Yes he had a good game at Chelsea and again on Tuesday against Brum - like city what he needs is consistency.

I remain of the view that with conviction and drive he is another Patrick Vieira waiting to happen - we just need him to engage it consistently