Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Positional weaknesses

Even from one match we have seen enough to be confident that Lappin and Fozzy are an improvement.In my opinion the jury is very much out on Brown, even if he was signed mainly as a supplier for Ernie. PG seems to think that Brown will make a contribution, but was he better than Martin in his brief appearance?I have yet to be convinced by Croft. Nobody doubts his commitment, his willingness to run all day and to tackle back, etc., but what does he contribute going forward? He has scored only one goal, and missed others, he seems unable to get past a fullback with pace, and even if he does get close to the by-line his crosses are not very good. A fit and restored Chadwick will surely push him hard, and Croft needs to learn a few tricks, principally how to cross, if he is to remain wide right.

He definitely needs to improve his crossing and to some extent I think he tries a bit too hard at the moment. It''s not quite going for him. I think he could be in a bit of trouble when Chadwick comes back but I still think that Crofty has the potential to be a very exciting player for City.

Positional problems

Goalkeeper  - Gallacher clearly is not what Grant wants - which means we will need to buy both a first choice and back up keeper next season (Gall wanted to play - but he isnt good enough for us)

Back 4 - I am confident that IF we have solved the midfield problems that a back 4 of Colin, Doc, Shax and Drury could get us promoted.  I know you will laugh but the WORST defence we had in recent year was Eddy, Mackay, Flem and Drury, before we signed Hux - they were conceeding goals faster before his signing than any of the previous 6 (maybe 7 seasons) - hux had that effect on our defence, as well as our attacking ability.   Give us a balanced midfield again and I am sure that the back four will be good enough - despite your guffaws.   What we do need is cover - as all we have is Dion who performs well BUT at 37 cannot play 50 games a season for us and cant cover either full back positions - going into a season having full back cover from our midfield options (currently Hughes and Lappin is not acceptable)  So a new left and right back and a centre back please.

Wide midfield - wide players of Croft, Lappin and Chadwick looks good.  It gives us options but the biggest bonus is their age.  I think chadders is the oldest at 24?  Yes Croft is currently infuriating but he is in his 1st full season playing week in week out and only 21/22.  He is on a steep learning curve and in view of  that doing extremely well.  All three appear to have committment and drive and when one is off form another comes in, increasing competition.  One more would be good and that will come in the summer when WLY goes and his wages free up enough for a new face.

Central midfield - Looks lightweight still.  My first choice pair of Safri and Fozzy gives us youth and experience and defence and attack while both appear to be able to pass.  Fozzy again is young and worked hard.  But the back ups are Etuhu and Hughes.  I would keep both on the books - despite my criticism of both.   HUghes is a flexible back up and covers many spots - but he cant be allowed to start many games.  Etuhu seems a confidence player and has shown glimpses of ability - he needs to learn that football is a 90 minute match and not 9 mins - which appears to be the most we can get out of him at the moment.   As such we do need a further option. to give us real competition for place.

Forwards - I think we need 5.  Hux and Earnie are the envy of most teams.  Beyond that Martin is the 5th one;  the talented youngster who needs to be brought on regularly to aid his development.  Brown is that target man - again another youngster who is learning the trade but crucially gives us another dimension/option when needed.  I would suggest we need another striker to cover for injuries and provide competition - the likes of VArney/Sharp/Billy Jones would be perfect - a youngster hungry to succeed and who knows how to play football.

I know itr is early days but what Lappin and Fozzy appear to show is that the manager knows the type of  player he wants,  decent skill set and young and hungry.  They wont all come off but mix that in with a couple of experienced heads at the back and in midffeld and we will have a team that should be able tyo consistently compete against the best in this league. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I would suggest we need another striker ... Billy Jones would be perfect [/quote]

Billy Jones is a defender....?

Croft was a better player before his injury and I think he is still struggling a bit. The goal he missed on Tuesday was a bit of a worry, he made a total dogs breakfast of it, hopefully that was just an off day.

He can cross ok but just seems to be lacking a bit of timing, again I think that may be down to his injury.I think the main thing he need to work on is his composure and developing an abilty to vary his game. He needs a change of pace so that when a left back come across he can slow then accelorate and leave him for dead. I am sure he will develop this into his game with good coaching.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Back 4 - I am confident that IF we have solved the midfield problems that a back 4 of Colin, Doc, Shax and Drury could get us promoted.  I know you will laugh but the WORST defence we had in recent year was Eddy, Mackay, Flem and Drury, before we signed Hux - they were conceeding goals faster before his signing than any of the previous 6 (maybe 7 seasons) - hux had that effect on our defence, as well as our attacking ability.   Give us a balanced midfield again and I am sure that the back four will be good enough - despite your guffaws.   What we do need is cover - as all we have is Dion who performs well BUT at 37 cannot play 50 games a season for us and cant cover either full back positions - going into a season having full back cover from our midfield options (currently Hughes and Lappin is not acceptable)  So a new left and right back and a centre back please.

[/quote]

Your stat is not entirely true... And we are only taking a 6 game run which leaves itself open to serious flaws.

in that season we conceded 8 goals in 6 matches pre Darren Huckerby. So thats 1.33 goals per game.

last season it was 69 goals in 50 games - so thats 1.38 per game.

we are currently 51 in 35 games - so thats 1.46 per game.

its important to note that these averages are far worse than anything seen at carrow road since pre Mackay, so we are tallking a long time here.

Having said that I do agree that the defense will improve when the midfield improves. The main point of contention regarding the defense in the summer will be the Doc''s massive wage packet for a very average player at this level.