Sign in to follow this  
still holding out for new heroes

First 11 for rest of season

marshall

colin         dublin            shackell      drury

fotheringham      safri     lappin

chadwick                                       huckerby      

brown

i would go for brown up front instead of martin as when he gains his confidence and match sharpness i think his hold up play will be better than martin''s and also huckerby is better on that left position where he has more freedom

subs: gallagher, doherty, etuhu, croft, martin

As I posted elsewhere a definite 442 for me - hux has been superb the last two games as a striker

Marshall

Colin   Doc  Shax   Drury

Croft    Fozzy  Safri  Lappin

Brown  Hux

Subs

Gallacher  Hughes Dion, Martin Thorne(Chadwick once fit)

Marshall

Colin     Dublin    Shackell     Drury

Safri    Fozzy   Lappin

Chadwick                                  Huckerby

Brown

marshall

colin             dublin                 shackell            drury

croft             safri                    chadwick         lappin

brown                huckerby

Subs (from): gallacher, martin, hughes, fotheringham, spillane, eagle, lewis.

I can''t see a great future for a number of the players that i haven''t put on that subs bench I have to say. Although I like the likes of Etuhu, McVeigh, Louis-Jean, Jarvis and Doherty, and don''t want them to leave the club, what we need more than anything now is consistency, and they cannot provide.it. I am hopeful that the players I have named can provide consistency and safety from the drop this season. These players can possibly be brought back into the fold once we''re safe from the drop.

marshall

colin  shackell  dublin  drury

chadwick  fotheringham  safri 

croft                     lappin

huckerby

I tend to agree with what the majority of people are saying on this subject.

I think the areas of debate are clearly:

Croft vs Chadwick

Huckerby Left-Mid vs Huckerby striker

Brown vs Martin

Shackell vs Doherty.

First, is it just me or Croft hasnt quite reached the same high level of performance he was putting in before his injury, sence he has come back. I am often left very dissapointed when he gets in a decent crossing position, with him failing to deliver a dangerous ball.

On yesterday''s evidence, new boy Simon Lappin needs to start. Therefore Huckerby is going to have to play up front, which isnt a bad thing, he has the intelligence and agression to play in this position.

I think it was be extremely interesting to see if a Huckerby-Martin strike-force would work. On paper there would be alot of pace, agression, skill and flair, although is the lack of height and strength (to hold up the ball) too great? At the moment I feel we should remain by playing Huckerby and Brown, in a years time though Martin will hopfully be causing interest from premiership clubs.

When others have slatted Doherty in the past and present i have tried my best to defend him, but I''m running out of patience when him in proving me right. He constantly looks so sloppy and careless, im on the edge of my seat something waiting for him to have another moment of madness.

My Team would be:

Marshall

Colin  Dublin  Shackell  Drury

Croft  Fotheringham  Safri  Lappin

Brown  Huckerby

Marhsall

Colin   Dion   Shackell   Drury

Chadwick   Fozz   Safri   Lappin

Martin   Hux

Subs

Gallcher, Doc, Etuhu, Brown, Hughes

I still think we need to bring in at least one more loan signing for the centeral defence, for IMO dion can''t and probably doesn''t want to play at the back all the while, he is a striker at heart and the doc simply isn''t consistant enough plus IMO the cover would be essential in case of injury. But my team for the rest of the season would be:

MarshallColin   Dion   Shackell   DruryCroft   Fozzy   Safri   Lappin             Brown   HuxI''m still undecided about chadwick or croft, it all depends on how Chadwick plays when he returns. Thats my safe formation, not many people would be too unhappy with it.....I hope. I''d want however to get in a new defender on loan, simply because our defence seems frail at times and we need the cover. I''d also then be tempted to try a combo of Dublin/Hux or Dublin/Martin putting hux back on the wing and dropping drury for lappin.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]4-4-2  

Marshall

Colin   Dion  Shackell  Drury

chadwick Fozz  Safri  Lappin

Brown  Hux

Subs

Gallacher  doc, Martin Thorne, ethu, eagle

[/quote]

No Croft? Even on the bench?

I must admit, when thinking about this, I can''t decide which players to drop, because it doesn''t seem to matter what formation you come up with, you are dropping someone you don''t really want to. Now that is actually a good thing and a situation any manager will tell you he wants but this is difficult.

I would always go 4-4-2 because it is a simple formation that everyone understands. You reduce margin for error and we''ve all seen very good sides play three at the back poorly, so lets keep it simple. This is now, but what happens when Earnie comes back? Does hux go back to LM and does Lappin go back to LB? Complicated but a good complicated. 

My side would have to be:

Marshall

Colin            Dublin               Doherty            Drury

Chadwick                  Safri                          Lappin

Fozzy

Brown                  Hux

Subs: Croft(reluctantly), Etuhu, Hughes, Martin, Shackell, Eagle.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]4-4-2  

Marshall

Brown  Hux

Subs

[/quote]This is just the badger.But with Croft instead of Thorne on the bench. Rotate Chadders/Croft, Etuhu/Fozzy/Saf depending on form. Ditto Brown/Martin. Agree with Zipper that hux has to go up front now. He''s not got it in him anymore to be racing up and down the wing for 90 minutes, whereas up front he can concentrate all his energy in attack. Meanwhile, Lappin and Drury can give us a superb left side, very solid but strong going forward too. Equally on the right if Colin carries on improving as he has done. Bring back Earnie and get that Mackay-esque centre back we''ve been looking for since he left and we''re starting to look a decent team.

As I have said elsewhere we have to plan for the future.   Perhaps Dion could play until we are safe from relegation but at 37 he has nopart of our future as a player - otherwise he a useful back up.

With a real midfield 4 I think the defence will improve considerably as the gaps in front of them are sealed by having a real midfield partnership and a proper left sided midfielder.

[quote user="snake pit army"]

only real problem would be choosing either chadwick/croft and where to play Dion, otherwie i think most people would agree on our 11 

[/quote]

I''ve been a bit disapointed in Croft at times as the season''s gone on...probably doesnt help that Colin going forward rarely gives him an option outside

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="lucky green trainers"]4-4-2  

Marshall

Brown  Hux

Subs

[/quote]This is just the badger.But with Croft instead of Thorne on the bench. Rotate Chadders/Croft, Etuhu/Fozzy/Saf depending on form. Ditto Brown/Martin. Agree with Zipper that hux has to go up front now. He''s not got it in him anymore to be racing up and down the wing for 90 minutes, whereas up front he can concentrate all his energy in attack. Meanwhile, Lappin and Drury can give us a superb left side, very solid but strong going forward too. Equally on the right if Colin carries on improving as he has done. Bring back Earnie and get that Mackay-esque centre back we''ve been looking for since he left and we''re starting to look a decent team.[/quote]actually A1 & Yellow rages you''re right guys.crofty wasn''t a deliberate exclusion, i simply forgot about him!   croft on the bench  for thorne in my revised 4-4-2.  however, if he starts hitting form again, then probably he''d be just ahead of chadwick for me.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="a1canary"][quote user="lucky green trainers"]4-4-2  

Marshall

Brown  Hux

Subs

[/quote]

This is just the badger.
But with Croft instead of Thorne on the bench. Rotate Chadders/Croft, Etuhu/Fozzy/Saf depending on form. Ditto Brown/Martin. Agree with Zipper that hux has to go up front now. He''s not got it in him anymore to be racing up and down the wing for 90 minutes, whereas up front he can concentrate all his energy in attack. Meanwhile, Lappin and Drury can give us a superb left side, very solid but strong going forward too. Equally on the right if Colin carries on improving as he has done.
Bring back Earnie and get that Mackay-esque centre back we''ve been looking for since he left and we''re starting to look a decent team.
[/quote]

actually A1 & Yellow rages you''re right guys.

crofty wasn''t a deliberate exclusion, i simply forgot about him!   croft on the bench  for thorne in my revised 4-4-2.  however, if he starts hitting form again, then probably he''d be just ahead of chadwick for me.

[/quote]

The 15 players in LGT''s squad above (but with Croft in for Thorne) show just how much the squad has been freshened up in the transfer window. This is a point I tried to make in a previous thread when somebody was jumping on another poster for saying we had a "new look squad".

The main difference is that there seems to be a lot more cover and more options for when the team needs changing (if players are out of form, need a rest etc.). So for instance, Etuhu can swap with Fozzy, Croft with Chadwick, Doc with Shackell and so on. Bring in another couple on loan (especialy if they''re players we might have a chance of signing at the end of the season) and the squad doesn''t look too bad at all.

IMO one of the biggest problems we''ve had in the last season and a half if that people who should only really have been signed as squad players ( e.g. Robinson, Hughes and Etuhu) have ended up playing in about 80-90% of our games. I''ve stuck up for Robinson on here in the past (well somebody had to!) and still believe that he would have made a decent squad player, he just wasn''t up to the task of influencing games from the centre of midfield week in week out.

I''m convinced we''ll stay up now (I never had as many doubts as some anyway!) and if we do Phase 1 of Grants job will be complete. In the summer he needs to start Phase 2 by clearing out the deadwood (Thorne, MLJ, Hughes, McVeigh) and replacing them with young, hungry talent from the lower leagues.