Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

Attention all statisticians . . .

I''m testing a theory that since 1972, whenever we''ve been promoted or relegated, the clinching match has nearly always been away from home.  Can you fill in the blanks . . .? 

1972 Promotion      Leyton Orient

1974 Relegation      ?

1975 Promotion      Portsmouth

1981 Relegation      ?

1982 Promotion      Sheffield Wednesday

1985 Relegation      ?

1986 Promotion      ?

1995 Relegation      Leeds

2004 Promotion      Promoted without playing (next game away to Watford)

2005 Relegation      Fulham

[quote user="mystic megson"]

I''m testing a theory that since 1972, whenever we''ve been promoted or relegated, the clinching match has nearly always been away from home.  Can you fill in the blanks . . .? 

1972 Promotion      Leyton Orient

1974 Relegation      ?

1975 Promotion      Portsmouth

1981 Relegation      ?

1982 Promotion      Sheffield Wednesday

1985 Relegation      ?

1986 Promotion      ?

1995 Relegation      Leeds

2004 Promotion      Promoted without playing (next game away to Watford)

2005 Relegation      Fulham

[/quote]

The 1981 relegation saw us loss our last league match 3-2, at home to an already doomed Leicester City. All other teams around us won and we dropped into the bottom three. [:(]

The 1985 relegation saw us win our last league game, away to Chelsea, 2-1, and we appeared safe. However, Coventry still had three league games to play and, against all odds, they won all three to send us down [:(] 

The 1986 promotion was finally secured away to Bradford, a game played at the Odsal Stadium, due to fire, begging the question, was it the first time that a football league team won promotion in a rugby league stadium? [:)]

Sorry, can''t help you with the 1974 relegation

Not quite sure I follow your thinking on this Megson. For example, on the day we beat Leyton Orient away in 1972 the league standings at the end of that day still provided the opportunity for Millwall and Birmingham to pass us and gain promotion. It appears that their subsequent results, perhaps along with our point at Watford in the final game that clinched things. Possibly you may be looking at things differently, i.e. in hindsight. All I''m saying is that, on the day ( at Leyton Orient ) we did not clinch promotion.

1985 was Newcastle (H) followed by Coventry''s win in the postponed match against champions Everton sending us down shortly after?

Was 1986 not Bradford City (A)???

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Not quite sure I follow your thinking on this Megson. For example, on the day we beat Leyton Orient away in 1972 the league standings at the end of that day still provided the opportunity for Millwall and Birmingham to pass us and gain promotion. It appears that their subsequent results, perhaps along with our point at Watford in the final game that clinched things. Possibly you may be looking at things differently, i.e. in hindsight. All I''m saying is that, on the day ( at Leyton Orient ) we did not clinch promotion.[/quote]

Actually we did clinch promotion at Leyton Orient. It was the title that relied on a point from the fianl game at Watford.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Not quite sure I follow your thinking on this Megson. For example, on the day we beat Leyton Orient away in 1972 the league standings at the end of that day still provided the opportunity for Millwall and Birmingham to pass us and gain promotion. It appears that their subsequent results, perhaps along with our point at Watford in the final game that clinched things. Possibly you may be looking at things differently, i.e. in hindsight. All I''m saying is that, on the day ( at Leyton Orient ) we did not clinch promotion.[/quote]

It was a long time ago Yankee.  I was 20 at the time and I WAS THERE!.  My memory is that we went up at Leyton Orient on the Monday night (rearranged fixture) but still needed a point to clinch the Championship at Watford on the Saturday, which we got.  It''s not something you would ever forget, our first ever promotion to the top flight.  Whatever, the point still stands, ie. that we clinched promotion away from home.

Incidentally Megson, I was only seeking to clarify how you had looked at things so those responding did so on the same wavelength in terms of filling in the blanks.

Many thanks Gazza.

So as it stands, it''s only happened once at CR, six times away from home, once promoted without playing, once relegated without playing (how could I forget the infamous Coventry v Everton fiasco?) and one not known.  Kinda interesting aint it (it is to me anyhow).

[quote user="mystic megson"]

It was a long time ago Yankee.  I was 20 at the time and I WAS THERE!.  My memory is that we went up at Leyton Orient on the Monday night (rearranged fixture) but still needed a point to clinch the Championship at Watford on the Saturday, which we got.  It''s not something you would ever forget, our first ever promotion to the top flight.  Whatever, the point still stands, ie. that we clinched promotion away from home.

[/quote]

Yep....City wore red shirts at Warford and Duncan Forbes threw his No.5 into the crowd. Great day........

Mystic

I think we got relegated in ''74 on the back of a home win against Burnley because Southampton got a point making it impossible for us to get out of the bottom three.

In 1973 we  secured our new found top tier status when we won at home to Crystal Palace 2-1 in our penultimate game with a last minute headed winning goal by Dave Stringer. Those of us who were there will never forget that game!

Can I ask why you wanted to find out these stats?

Piece of Canary trivia: Dave Stringer scored City''s last goal of each of the 1972, 73 and 74 seasons with a header from a free kick vs Watford, Palace & Birmingham respectively.

I''ll get me anorak!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Can I ask why you wanted to find out these stats?

[/quote]

Dunno Nutty, I suppose it was the talk about possible relegation that sparked it off, then the Leeds game reminded me that we were relegated there in ''95 and it just went on from there.  Whenever Mystic''s brain is running on empty something always comes along to fill it up, marvellous really . . .

[quote user="Ricko"]

Piece of Canary trivia: Dave Stringer scored City''s last goal of each of the 1972, 73 and 74 seasons with a header from a free kick vs Watford, Palace & Birmingham respectively.

I''ll get me anorak!

[/quote]

Ricko.

That''s fascinating. The stuff of real heroes. Far from trivia.

Oh for a Dave Stringer (and Duncan Forbes) today straining every inspirational tissue in the cause until the very end of each & every match. Achieving promotion, winning titles, avoiding relegation

No need to get you anorak. Not at all. Sit down and tell us some more!

OTBC

[quote user="mystic megson"] Whenever Mystic''s brain is running on empty something always comes along to fill it up, marvellous really . . .

[/quote]

We are alike in that way then [Y]