Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Top 5 Norwich strikers since 1980

This wasn''t easy, and I could have perhaps, quite easily have extended this to a top 10, but that would possibly have been too easy, choosing a top 5 was extremely difficult for me, I nearly plumped for a top 7.  

This list does not include wingers, just strikers.

1st - John Deehan

2nd - Iwan Roberts

3rd - Chris Sutton

4th - Robert Fleck

5th- Kevin Drinkell

Some noteable absentees including - Bellamy, Channon, Reeves (left in March 1980), Robins, Ashton, Fashanu, Earnshaw(only been with us for 1 year).

Your thoughts?

Would anyone have totally different names in their top 5?[:)]

On length of time spent at the club, number of goals scored and quality of player I would have to agree with you 100% but would have them in a different order...

1st - Flecky

2nd - Sutton

3rd - Drinkell

4th - Iwan

5th - Dixie

Excluding current players as I always do from these lists I would go

1. Sutton

2. Bellamy

3. Drinkell

4. Deehan

5. Fleck

Ashton and Roberts probably filling positions 6 and 7;  Ashton could have been the all time star 

All opinions of course, but Sutton behind Roberts is in my book laughable. (Also Fleck and Drinkell too for that matter!)

And Ashton with time on his side, may well prove to be the best of the lot in the all time list that is assuredly topped by that prince of centre forwards, Ronald Tudor Davies.

No particular order, Fleck Drinkell Sutton Roberts....and I know he''s midfield/striker but Huckerby has been brilliant. John Deehan was a better manager*

*j/k

I can agree with you in part Bernard.  If I was basing this list purely on ability, rather than also including goals scored, and goal ratio etc, it would look a lot different.  Obviously dixie was lucky to get his 70 goals in 199 appearances for the Canaries, and had very little ability.

A revised list based purely on footballing ability while at Norwich and nothing else would probably be

1st - Sutton

2nd - Fleck, I was tempted to put him higher in my original list for his all round play, his link up play was excellent, good sportsmanship and banter with the fans.

3rd - Drinkell

4th - Earnshaw

5th - Craig Bellamy

I cannot put Ashton in this list, and this is where I strongly disagree with you Bernard.  He undoubtedly had ability whilst playing for Norwich, his headed goals were possibly the best that had been seen in a Norwich shirt since the days of Ron Davies.  However, having said all that his short time at Norwich, coupled with his not so impressive goal ratio can not get him into a top 5 Norwich striker list for me.

Yes Bernard, Ashton may well prove to be possibly one of the best ever strikers who have played at Carrow road, he may go on to be a regular scorer for England and play for a top team in Europe.  However his time at Norwich was just a very very small stepping stone in his footballing career.  Based on your criteria Bernard, Mick Channon, could have been in the list, but his best years were behind when he was at Norwich.

Sadly I think Ashton''s career will be scuppered by fitness issues, even if he keeps his weight under control.  He''s been out for nearly nine months with a straightforward broken ankle.  Even at his fighting weight he has such a huge frame that he''s always going to be injury-prone.  A great shame.  I agree with Slim that he''s probably our best allround striker since Ron Davies.

I agree nbs Ashton''s goal ratio was not that impressive during his time at the Club but you have to wonder what it might have been if he had had the benefit (as did Sutton, Fleck and Drinkell) of service from the likes of Crook, Fox, Gordon and Townsend. He was in a generally poor side exacerbated by naive tactics and underpinned by managerial incompetance.

I. Sutton

2. Bellamy

3. Drinkell

4. Fleck

5. Roberts

The best centre forward I have ever seen in City colours would be Ron Davies and the best goal scorer Ted Mc Dougall. One was the classic old fashioned centre forward, great in air and two good feet. The other was the best natural goalscorer. Never saw him miss when one on one with the keeper. Drop the shoulder, go round the keeper, side foot into the empty net. Cool as Cucumber.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I can agree with you in part Bernard.  If I was basing this list purely on ability, rather than also including goals scored, and goal ratio etc, it would look a lot different.  Obviously dixie was lucky to get his 70 goals in 199 appearances for the Canaries, and had very little ability.

A revised list based purely on footballing ability while at Norwich and nothing else would probably be

1st - Sutton

2nd - Fleck, I was tempted to put him higher in my original list for his all round play, his link up play was excellent, good sportsmanship and banter with the fans.

3rd - Drinkell

4th - Earnshaw

5th - Craig Bellamy

I cannot put Ashton in this list, and this is where I strongly disagree with you Bernard.  He undoubtedly had ability whilst playing for Norwich, his headed goals were possibly the best that had been seen in a Norwich shirt since the days of Ron Davies.  However, having said all that his short time at Norwich, coupled with his not so impressive goal ratio can not get him into a top 5 Norwich striker list for me.

Yes Bernard, Ashton may well prove to be possibly one of the best ever strikers who have played at Carrow road, he may go on to be a regular scorer for England and play for a top team in Europe.  However his time at Norwich was just a very very small stepping stone in his footballing career.  Based on your criteria Bernard, Mick Channon, could have been in the list, but his best years were behind when he was at Norwich.

[/quote]

Sorry to contradict you but it is far from obvious to me at least, that Dixie was lucky to get his goals.  He was a quality striker who perhaps did not reach the full promise of his early years at Villa.  Good enough to get an England cap but here he was strong in the air, had good feet and played for the team.  Not the most clinical finisher ever but streets ahead of all but the very best.  He had an outstanding rapport with Mark Barham on the wing.

One reason he did not score more goals was that like Dion and Sutton, he played well at centre half and covered there.

I for one was outraged when he was swopped for Putney as I fely he still had a lot to offer us.  It seems to me that his unhappy time as a manager has spoilt fans memories of how good a player he was.

1  sutton

2  Bellamy

3 Fleck

4 Ekoku

5 Drinkell/Roberts

I know, Ekoku, its just that he was my favourite

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Sadly I think Ashton''s career will be scuppered by fitness issues, even if he keeps his weight under control.  He''s been out for nearly nine months with a straightforward broken ankle.  Even at his fighting weight he has such a huge frame that he''s always going to be injury-prone.  A great shame.  I agree with Slim that he''s probably our best allround striker since Ron Davies.

[/quote]

. . . and btw Delia, if you were REALLY passionate about football, instead of drawing attention to yourself on the pitch at half time during the Man City game, you might have done what I and many others did and made a beeline for the nearest TV monitor to watch Ashton''s sublime goal replayed over and over again . . .

1) Sutton

2) Bellamy

3) Earnshaw

4) Ashton

5) Drinkell

Sutton by a country mile in my book. Other near misses would be Robins, McKenzie, Deehan, Fleck and Peter Thorne...

I''d need to see the stats, but i think Drinkell is up there, so is Deehan for goals per game. I had a soft spot for Fleck. Sutton was good, especially his ability to play defence too. I''d need to see the goals per game to make my mind up, surely Earnie is good on the count, but he has only been here a while.

1. Sutton

2. Iwan

3. Fleck

4.Drinkell

5. Ashton (purely for footballing ability rather than what he actually acheived for us)

Notable absentees - Bellamy, Earnie, Robins and Deehan.

I''m 22 years old and the best/most dangerous striker/goalscorer I''ve seen at Norwich is Robert Earnshaw.

My pops thinks Earnie is the best goalscorer we''ve had since Ron Davies.

[quote user="Dicky"]

I think:

Rosario

Biggins

Coney

Sheron

Beckford.

[/quote]

Dicky! Methinks you jest.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Dicky"]

I think:

Rosario

Biggins

Coney

Sheron

Beckford.

[/quote]

[/quote]

He must be jesting Ricardo because he forgot Peter Thorne..............

[quote user="Salahuddin"]

1  sutton

2  Bellamy

3 Fleck

4 Ekoku

5 Drinkell/Roberts

I know, Ekoku, its just that he was my favourite

[/quote]

Efan Ekoku was a betetr player than People Give him recidt for Salahuddin, and imho ur right to have him in ur list...

Height, Pace, Strength, ability, good in the air... We could do with a player like him today! a rarity for such a ig guy was his speed off the mark. Also, 1st player to score 4 in a premiership match (for us), Scored our first european Goal, Scored against Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, a great player and a guy who i think doesnt get anywhere near the credit he deserves as he was up front with Sutton who got all the limelight.

jas :)

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]FAO Cambridge Canary, I was only  being sarcastic about dixie, in response to another post. [/quote]

Missed that; sorry!  RESPECT.  Anyway, it gave me a chance to get whimsical about a legend who doesn''t often get mentioned on here so perhaps no harm done.

1 fleck

2 sutton

3 roberts

4 robins

5 bellamy

i can''t remember anything before 1991. i feel as though ekoku and earnshaw should be in there, and maybe ashton.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Dicky"]

I think:

Rosario

Biggins

Coney

Sheron

Beckford.

[/quote]

[/quote]

He must be jesting Ricardo because he forgot Peter Thorne..............

[/quote]

Bugger, slipped my mind.