Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Umbro - ripping off the fans?

I don''t know if you guys have read about it (or even been interested in it) but in a nutshell the Engalnd kit maker Umbro has refused to supply supermarkets like Tesco and Asda.  Obviously with the buying power they have it could have meant a big reduction on price for the fans, clearly Umbro are happy to take £40 of anyones hard earned money for a strip rather than sell more at a lower price.  More often than not "new" kits are made by the same company, have the same sponsor and by and large, look the same as the last overpriced t-shirt they played in.  You can''t help but feel that "football" is taking advantage of fans loyalty.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

I don''t know if you guys have read about it (or even been interested in it) but in a nutshell the Engalnd kit maker Umbro has refused to supply supermarkets like Tesco and Asda.  Obviously with the buying power they have it could have meant a big reduction on price for the fans, clearly Umbro are happy to take £40 of anyones hard earned money for a strip rather than sell more at a lower price.  More often than not "new" kits are made by the same company, have the same sponsor and by and large, look the same as the last overpriced t-shirt they played in.  You can''t help but feel that "football" is taking advantage of fans loyalty.

[/quote]

Soccer world will have them for over 1/2 price - you can almost guarantee it! :)

yep got my away shirt from soccer world i think, 70% off. Was a must buy really. Would never spend £40 on an England top.

They always rip fans off, not just the makers but clubs too.

We got our England shirts last year, from a well known sports shop in town and they were 1/3 of the price of England shirts elsewhere.  Just goes to show how much profit they must make [;)]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

I give up on england, awful managerial appointment and a bunch of overrated primadonas whom think they are better than they actually are...  Pathetic

As for the new kit....  not impressed, and I quite liked the last one.

[/quote]

So it''s not just Norwich then.................

Interesting discussion regarding the pricing of the shirts on tv yesterday.

Umbro do not actually specify the prices that their shirts must retail for in the shops, but make a recommended retailing price.

It is down to the individual shops to select the price to sell them at.

Although the average price to purchase the item far exceeds the manufacturing costs paid in some underprivaledged Countries youth-employed sweatshop