Sign in to follow this  
BBFF

City board answers the fans questions in the Pink'un

I could have predicted every single response, so why bother asking the board anything?

"Poor Little Norwich" was missing! maybe they now know its only them (NCPLC) who look at our club that way.

If the board had transferred the energy they have put in to their off pitch ambitions to the pitch we would still be in the prem

[quote user="BB FOOTBALL FIRST"]

I could have predicted every single response, so why bother asking the board anything?

"Poor Little Norwich" was missing! maybe they now know its only them (NCPLC) who look at our club that way.

If the board had transferred the energy they have put in to their off pitch ambitions to the pitch we would still be in the prem

[/quote]

If you could have predicted all the answers why indeed did they bother asking the board when they could have asked you. Perhaps the real problem with the boards response is that they were asked the wrong questions.

It translates to poor little Norwich and we are skint...  but please, please keep backing us with your hard earned we promise to turn things around next year...

YET MORE EMPTY PROMISES FROM DELIA & Co...  why should anybody expect any different???

I thought the point about needing the off field money generation (like the hotel) to help when the parachute payments finishes was a good one. The more money we get, from whatever source, must help.

I think your argument about the off field ambitions is invalid as the reason for their existance is to generate more money for the club. For me the issue is more to do with mis-managing the money we have spent on the football side of things. For instance spending 9 million on worthys wasters last year!

Why am I not surprised by such a limp wristed Q and A session....although I understand that the Pinkun journalist would need to necessarily tread carefully to preserve the cosy club/archant bond.

The questions themselves allowed the PR machine to duck down various alleyways....rather than have to be up front....and has been said already...what have we actually learned? Sod all except that they are in control and we had better understand that fact.........

More of the same bilge I''m afraid amid the cynical adjectives galore aimed at the club''s "wonderful" and "fantastic" supporters who throw money at them to spend. They''ll get no more out of me after this season....and don''t come the usual "you''re not a true supporter" crap. Only by letting them know through the turnstiles that we will no longer swallow this stuff are they going to act.....but that is of course the choice of each individual.

It''s more of the same versus something potentially much better.........and no.....it couldn''t get much worse than being relegated or becoming just another Grimsby Town or Lincoln City.......

predictable but true.

still better than word by word predictable and the untruths of smudger and clucks responses.

I''m afraid in just about any circumstance where you are trying to meaningfully question someone or something, doing so in writing is always likely to be frustrating.

It is a good story to fill a front page, but it is never going to address really tough questions (which I don''t really think any of them were...)

It needs to be face-to-face or in an environment where you can come back in response to each answer with further questioning. It would be better for the AGM to be staged in a way that allows full debate on these questions at the time - something which, as stated by commentators who were there, seemed to have been missing.

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

Why am I not surprised by such a limp wristed Q and A session....although I understand that the Pinkun journalist would need to necessarily tread carefully to preserve the cosy club/archant bond.

The questions themselves allowed the PR machine to duck down various alleyways....rather than have to be up front....and has been said already...what have we actually learned? Sod all except that they are in control and we had better understand that fact.........

More of the same bilge I''m afraid amid the cynical adjectives galore aimed at the club''s "wonderful" and "fantastic" supporters who throw money at them to spend. They''ll get no more out of me after this season....and don''t come the usual "you''re not a true supporter" crap. Only by letting them know through the turnstiles that we will no longer swallow this stuff are they going to act.....but that is of course the choice of each individual.

It''s more of the same versus something potentially much better.........and no.....it couldn''t get much worse than being relegated or becoming just another Grimsby Town or Lincoln City.......

[/quote]

So what questions would you have asked?

So the cynical remain cynical, those that give benefit of the doubt will continue to do so.  The fact is that the only way to convince the unconvinced is by getting results on the pitch.  Although the prevailing mood seems to be that the club and manager have made some good decisions in the transfer window, we all want good results.  A few good home wins in the league, a home win against Blackpool and a fighting performance against Chelsea will convince most that the super-tanker is being turned in the right direction, if not headed straight-away for its'' destination.

[/quote]

It''s all fairly standard stuff I''m afraid. You''re in business Cluck, surely you must have done your fair share of spinning in your time!

I may not be of the same opinion regarding the answer to our current situation but I do tend to get annoyed with the constant noise that comes out of Carrow Road. Why can''t we just get on with playing football without having to listen to the weekly reports from Doncaster, the players, coaches, chefs and tea lady''s.

In a way I suppose we''ve brought it on ourselves by demanding transparency from the board. All that happens is that we get a different statement every day from a different part of NCFC which then gets pulled apart piece by piece by the wackos and conspiracy theorists who seem to inhabit these boards.

You seem an intelligent chap Cluck, just accept that "spin" is a part of every day life now. You do it, I do it, our government does it and NCFC does it. Don''t let that be the reason you decide to stop coming to Carrow Road on matchdays because I honestly think you''ll regret it.

I emailed Mr D today specifically about answers given on two of the questions. He''s not back in the office until the 8th but I thought it only right that I drill down a bit further to try and get some real answers to the questions asked. I don''t think that the questions are poor or lightweight, I do however think that the answers are. I''d go as far as to say that some questions don''t follow on with any answer addressing the question at all.

I think he will reply as usual but I doubt he''ll answer my questions fully. I will persue my line of questioning until I get out of him what I want, or it is obvious that he is not willing to answer the question. At which point, I will make that obvious to him I''m aware of that.

The two questions in question are as follows:

Q: How much will the loss of parachute payments affect our ability to sign players in the summer and next season?

A: As has already been stated, the loss of parachute payments will represent a stern financial challenge for this club.(That''s why the question has been asked) The board will to do everything in its power to support Peter''s plans for developing the squad and provide him with a budget which is competitive without jeopardising the long-term future of the club.(As you would hope so)

The question requires quantifying. ''How much'' will the loss affect our ability. An example, take this seasons transfer budget, take away what would normally have been assigned through parachute payments and what do you have left? Factor in increased revenue streams and roughly what percentage of this years budget will be available.

Q: If we were able to offer £2m for David Cotterill, only to see that deal fall through, why isn''t a similar amount available for transfers now?

A: Since August 2006 the club has signed nine players, namely Patrick Boyle, Jamie Ashdown, Lee Camp and David Marshall on loan; Luke Chadwick on loan later upgraded to a permanent deal and Dion Dublin, Chris Brown, Mark Fotheringham and Simon Lappin on permanent deals. All of these deals cost very significant amounts in fees and/or agents fees and of course wages. The club is delighted to have successfully negotiated a new contract with Darren Huckerby. This has clearly had a significant effect on the budget. Once again, the board remains absolutely committed to doing everything to raise as much revenue as possible to support the manager''s plans for the squad.

Since August 2006, we have also sold Robert Green and Leon Mckenzie for large fees. We have moved on Carl Robinson and Craig Flemmimg, we have loaned out five other players. This represents a large some of income through transfers and a large amount of freed up wages. In you assesment of this period, why have you failed to mention the income generated. Has this money been reassigned to other areas of the business, or did you simply forget to factor that in to your answer?

That''s a rough idea of the questions I asked. It was constructed a little more tactically than that but you get the idea.

[/quote]

Rejoice! Rejoice!

how about

Q Why was the squad size this season smaller than last season when squad size was used as an excuse by the board and manager for ouir appalling showing?

Q Why have our scouts not been called to task over the awful signings of recent years?

Q  What does Doug Livermore do and why did he look totally bored and disinterested at the agm?

Q  Who are this large number of players valued highly by other clubs?

Q Why did you agree to blanket increase the players wages on relegation?

etc etc etc

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

[/quote]

It''s all fairly standard stuff I''m afraid. You''re in business Cluck, surely you must have done your fair share of spinning in your time!

I may not be of the same opinion regarding the answer to our current situation but I do tend to get annoyed with the constant noise that comes out of Carrow Road. Why can''t we just get on with playing football without having to listen to the weekly reports from Doncaster, the players, coaches, chefs and tea lady''s.

In a way I suppose we''ve brought it on ourselves by demanding transparency from the board. All that happens is that we get a different statement every day from a different part of NCFC which then gets pulled apart piece by piece by the wackos and conspiracy theorists who seem to inhabit these boards.

You seem an intelligent chap Cluck, just accept that "spin" is a part of every day life now. You do it, I do it, our government does it and NCFC does it. Don''t let that be the reason you decide to stop coming to Carrow Road on matchdays because I honestly think you''ll regret it.

[/quote]

That''s the nicest smack round the ear I''ve had in ages..........[;)]

Being in business doesn''t make me any wiser than anyone else...but maybe it does give me and others in the same line a different perspective on things.

"Spin" to me on a daily basis is suppliers evading the reason why deliveries are late...customers saying that they had definately ordered one thing and "spinning" it round that I had apparently "misunderstood" their clearly written order. So I equate "spin" with dishonesty....because ultimately that''s what it is....but dressed up differently. Politicians (especially Labour) endlessly "spin" their way out of tight corners....and somehow get away with it. Yes it''s how things are.....but why not just face facts and be done with it?

We all have our little drums to bang in life....and unfortunately for all of you...."spinning" is top of my list! I see football as an escape from all of that bull***t......so I''ll readily admit that I do get somewhat twitchy when I''m confronted with more of the same from Carrow Road. We can all see what is going on...so why try to convince us otherwise?.............

Good questions Rages but I doubt you will get anything but the stock answer. Nothing was surprising in the answers given but it''s disappointing that it was the best the club could offer having had the questions for weeks.

The answer that got me the most was;

Q: Fans were assured in the summer by board members there would be signings. Why did that not happen?

A: The board fully supported the manager''s proposals regarding transfers during the summer. Lee Croft was signed for a fee in the region of £600,000 and an initial transfer fee of £1.5m rising to £2m for David Cotterill of Bristol City was approved by the board. However, despite agreeing the fee with Bristol City and personal terms with the player and his representatives, Cotterill decided on transfer deadline day to move to Premiership Wigan Athletic instead.

I''m sorry but I am sure if you asked Worthington in private, he would vehemently deny that the board "fully supported" his transfer proposals. If they had we would have agreed a fee to sign Howard from Luton, however we didn''t. Munby even said at the time we could have afforded him but felt he was not worth £1m. So how is that fully supporting Worthington transfer proposals? It was clear we needed this type of player and an available one was identified but we would not pay the money asked.

Looking at that answer they seem to want some congratulating for signing Lee Croft and trying to get Cotteril, sorry not happening. Anyone could see we needed a left back, target man and 3 midfielders at the least. We got one wide right player. Our league position now shows how badly not signing enough players in the summer has cost us. Complacently has set in for those who have no competition for their place and injuries have (yet again, hello, will we ever learn!!!!) hit us hard in key areas. The club appear to want to lay the blame on Worthington but they hid behind him for far too long and they have to accept they did not do enough this summer.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''d have asked....

(a) Why my Yorkshire puddings don''t rise properly before getting burnt around the edge?

(b) What cut of beef does she recommend for a casserole?

(c) Is Imported New Zealand lamb better than the locally produced sheep?

(d) When are you going to bugger off and give us our club back?

That''s about it....but not necessarily in that order..........[:)]

[/quote]

But If I don''t go to the game on a saturday I''ll have to go shopping with the wife.[;)]

cluck i really don''t get you, if you''re so bothered about the fact delia has invested her money into the club why don''t you do something about it? like stop going to games, see theres a knock on effect to that in most people here try to talk about games transfers etc. but if you''e not there you will have less to comment on. therefore less useless bashing of the board

just because norwich arent setting the world alight at the moment isnt the boards fault, we don''t have the players to set the world alight and until grant finishes getting rid of deadwood and bringing in the players he wants we will not start to set the world alight.

so... yeah, leave the board alone for once

Whilst I am not about to defend the board exactly what answers to the questions posed would satisfy you?  It seems that you have already made up your mind what you want to hear and anything that deviates from your opinion is a ''load of old squit''.  From a neutral point of view the answers given would appear to be perfectly reasonable and come from the standard book of business jargon.  I am not a neutral, I am a Norwich fan but have not seen enough verifiable facts to accuse the board of mis-management, especially in relation to boards throughout the land. 

At the end of the day running a football club costs a lot of money and unless any one can prove that the funds are being syphoned off we must believe that the money has been spent keeping the club going.  Part of what makes football so glorious is that each one of us has their own opinion about managing the playing staff, what they are worth, and who to buy or sell and for how much. 

We might not like it but the money has largely been spent on players and agents in some shape or form .  The interesting bit is discussing the merits of it.  All the off field projects, travel shop, hotel, food etc does, or will, contribute to the club funds.  I for one applaud the board in seeking alternative funding.  I would like to see an alternative list of questions, with of course, the correct answers attached!

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''d have asked....

(a) Why my Yorkshire puddings don''t rise properly before getting burnt around the edge?

[/quote]

OK, I''ll play nicely for awhile too.

Would we get our club back whoever was majority shareholder? Have Liverpool fans got their club back today? Did Man. U. get their club back when Glazer came to town?

Now go easy on me because you know I am "a fish out of water" on this type of thread.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

Good questions Rages but I doubt you will get anything but the stock answer. Nothing was surprising in the answers given but it''s disappointing that it was the best the club could offer having had the questions for weeks.

The answer that got me the most was;

Q: Fans were assured in the summer by board members there would be signings. Why did that not happen?

A: The board fully supported the manager''s proposals regarding transfers during the summer. Lee Croft was signed for a fee in the region of £600,000 and an initial transfer fee of £1.5m rising to £2m for David Cotterill of Bristol City was approved by the board. However, despite agreeing the fee with Bristol City and personal terms with the player and his representatives, Cotterill decided on transfer deadline day to move to Premiership Wigan Athletic instead.

I''m sorry but I am sure if you asked Worthington in private, he would vehemently deny that the board "fully supported" his transfer proposals. If they had we would have agreed a fee to sign Howard from Luton, however we didn''t. Munby even said at the time we could have afforded him but felt he was not worth £1m. So how is that fully supporting Worthington transfer proposals? It was clear we needed this type of player and an available one was identified but we would not pay the money asked.

Looking at that answer they seem to want some congratulating for signing Lee Croft and trying to get Cotteril, sorry not happening. Anyone could see we needed a left back, target man and 3 midfielders at the least. We got one wide right player. Our league position now shows how badly not signing enough players in the summer has cost us. Complacently has set in for those who have no competition for their place and injuries have (yet again, hello, will we ever learn!!!!) hit us hard in key areas. The club appear to want to lay the blame on Worthington but they hid behind him for far too long and they have to accept they did not do enough this summer.

[/quote]

You are quite right Saint with the Worthy thing. What they are suggesting is that every player Worthy asked for he got. I don''t believe that. I would imagine that Worty like any other manager would try and sign the best players he possibly could. Afterall, with the best possible players on board, the manager looks a little bit better at his job. This does take another slant though in that Worthy probably didn''t have the stauts that Grant has internally and so would be privvy to lesser options.

Perhaps the question to Doncaster here should be, '' what players were turned down by the board during the Worthy era.'' Now they will say it is unfair to undermine the current manager and indeed Nigel during his time in charge but does that really matter now? It''s a historical account that any result from would bare no significance to the future.

I see no problem with that.

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''d have asked....

[/quote]

Spin?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''d have asked....

[/quote]

hohoho.... Pure Class Cluck!!!  [Y]

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

I emailed Mr D today specifically about answers given on two of the questions. He''s not back in the office until the 8th but I thought it only right that I drill down a bit further to try and get some real answers to the questions asked. I don''t think that the questions are poor or lightweight, I do however think that the answers are. I''d go as far as to say that some questions don''t follow on with any answer addressing the question at all.

I think he will reply as usual but I doubt he''ll answer my questions fully. I will persue my line of questioning until I get out of him what I want, or it is obvious that he is not willing to answer the question. At which point, I will make that obvious to him I''m aware of that.

The two questions in question are as follows:

Q: How much will the loss of parachute payments affect our ability to sign players in the summer and next season? A: As has already been stated, the loss of parachute payments will represent a stern financial challenge for this club.(That''s why the question has been asked) The board will to do everything in its power to support Peter''s plans for developing the squad and provide him with a budget which is competitive without jeopardising the long-term future of the club.(As you would hope so)

The question requires quantifying. ''How much'' will the loss affect our ability. An example, take this seasons transfer budget, take away what would normally have been assigned through parachute payments and what do you have left? Factor in increased revenue streams and roughly what percentage of this years budget will be available. Q: If we were able to offer £2m for David Cotterill, only to see that deal fall through, why isn''t a similar amount available for transfers now?A: Since August 2006 the club has signed nine players, namely Patrick Boyle, Jamie Ashdown, Lee Camp and David Marshall on loan; Luke Chadwick on loan later upgraded to a permanent deal and Dion Dublin, Chris Brown, Mark Fotheringham and Simon Lappin on permanent deals. All of these deals cost very significant amounts in fees and/or agents fees and of course wages. The club is delighted to have successfully negotiated a new contract with Darren Huckerby. This has clearly had a significant effect on the budget. Once again, the board remains absolutely committed to doing everything to raise as much revenue as possible to support the manager''s plans for the squad.

Since August 2006, we have also sold Robert Green and Leon Mckenzie for large fees. We have moved on Carl Robinson and Craig Flemmimg, we have loaned out five other players. This represents a large some of income through transfers and a large amount of freed up wages. In you assesment of this period, why have you failed to mention the income generated. Has this money been reassigned to other areas of the business, or did you simply forget to factor that in to your answer?

That''s a rough idea of the questions I asked. It was constructed a little more tactically than that but you get the idea.

[/quote]On the 2nd question i think in fairness fleming & robinson have only just left so any savings will be gained in the coming months & most of the players loaned out have been kids not likely to be on the same wages as the senior players signed such as dublin. Can''t disagree with the rest though.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''d have asked....

[/quote]

hohoho.... Pure Class Cluck!!!  [Y]

[/quote]

He he he Smudger. As obvious as it is....still some manage to take it seriously! 

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

You are quite right Saint with the Worthy thing. What they are suggesting is that every player Worthy asked for he got. I don''t believe that. I would imagine that Worty like any other manager would try and sign the best players he possibly could. Afterall, with the best possible players on board, the manager looks a little bit better at his job. This does take another slant though in that Worthy probably didn''t have the stauts that Grant has internally and so would be privvy to lesser options.

Perhaps the question to Doncaster here should be, '' what players were turned down by the board during the Worthy era.'' Now they will say it is unfair to undermine the current manager and indeed Nigel during his time in charge but does that really matter now? It''s a historical account that any result from would bare no significance to the future.

I see no problem with that.

[/quote]

Me either.  Admitting mistakes might actually make them learn from.  For the past 4 seasons we have have kicked off our campaign still needing players after September and in most cases lacking in some fundamental areas.  I''m not saying "sack the board" but I would suggest they took a look at what more they could have done.  The last two summers main focus appears to have been on keeping players who did not want to be here, eventually selling them late in the window and being unable to replace them.  For me they took their eye off the ball and missed out.  We should not have gotten in a situation where missing out on Cotteril left us exposed and to be honest we should have been looking to sign more than one player anyway.

It appears to me the board are going to blame Worthington for us not getting anywhere near the play off''s this season and I can understand why some could take the view that board kept him here long enough just to hide behind him.  They just don''t seem to be able to admit they have messed up but there is nothing wrong with that, mistakes happen.

I''d like to know how the loss of parachute payments will affect the squad next season, considering it is still lacking in quality. Will we have to sell anyone? Could we bring in more players?

I''d also like to know why we didn''t make an offer for £1m for Steve Howard - as it seems Worthy wanted - if we could afford £1.5m-£2m for David Cotteril. Who made the decision not to persue the former?...

And I''d like them to discribe our scouting performance over the past 2 seasons in five words, and ask them how they''d improve it...