Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Should there be limits on the number of foreign players in a team?

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

Maybe we should also consider that many of the current England players play in domestic sides made up almost entirely of imports. The blend of styles and attitudes may work at league level...but put on their own without the flair of foreign stars, they look very ordinary.

I think many England players play a "supporting" role at league level...leaving the imports to produce the flair in front of goal. We have always had "workmanlike" England teams where strength and passion have been the key elements of their game and maybe in the past this has transferred reasonably well to the national side. Now with the complex global mix....much of that passion has been put to one side and they don''t know what to do without those flair players to finish what they start.

I''ve never been happy with so many imports changing the English game. We now have a virtual "contact free" sport which conflicts greatly with our traditional passionate physical game. Maybe it will sort itself out over the coming years and our own youngsters will learn to adapt...but they are between the devil and the deep blue sea right now...and that showed only too well last night.

Bring back the birch..............[;)]

[/quote]

What I find amazingly unbelievable about this post Cluck......... is ...................................................

I agree with everything you say!!!!!!!

Well, except the birch.............. maybe! [;)]

Oh..... and its three whole paragraphs without one criticism of Delia!

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

Maybe we should also consider that many of the current England players play in domestic sides made up almost entirely of imports. The blend of styles and attitudes may work at league level...but put on their own without the flair of foreign stars, they look very ordinary.

I think many England players play a "supporting" role at league level...leaving the imports to produce the flair in front of goal. We have always had "workmanlike" England teams where strength and passion have been the key elements of their game and maybe in the past this has transferred reasonably well to the national side. Now with the complex global mix....much of that passion has been put to one side and they don''t know what to do without those flair players to finish what they start.

I''ve never been happy with so many imports changing the English game. We now have a virtual "contact free" sport which conflicts greatly with our traditional passionate physical game. Maybe it will sort itself out over the coming years and our own youngsters will learn to adapt...but they are between the devil and the deep blue sea right now...and that showed only too well last night.

[/quote]

You might be on to something there Cluck, but then you have to question why clubs have to bring in foreign players to provide the flair. I know I''ve been banging on about it on this thread, but it''s down to the coaching!

I don''t think that we''ll ever win a major tournament again by playing a workmanlike style with the high tempo of the traditional English game, a look back over the past twenty years ago suggests that teams who play possesion football tend to suceed at this level. The only team who have won a major tournament without really having any flair players as such were Greece in the last European Championships, but their success owed more to organisation than the traditional English characteristics of power and physicality. We need to adapt and encourage our players to be more confident with the ball, I can''t see how removing foreign players from our game will do this.

Last night was a perfect example of how our players seem almost scared of receiving the ball, and when they do they look to get rid of it as soon as possible. Compare them to Xavi who ran the Spanish midfield last night. At times he held on to the ball for about 10 seconds holding opponents off whilst he looked for the right pass.

It''s down to the coaching and it''ll take a lot to convince me otherwise, although obviously I''m open to suggestions.

[quote user="Rethinking the future"]The authorities are cautious about introducing such a rule as it would almost certainly be seen as unlawful due to restriction of trade. Such a rule would also affect Norwich quite badly. If you look at our current squad, a lot come from Scotland, Ireland and Wales which are all seen by the football authorities as separate countries due to them having their own seat on the football executive. The reason each country has their own seat was originally to give England more power in decisions. There is a problem with the lack of English footballers in the premiership which is one reason why we will struggle to ever win a major tournament, but the sad fact is that tv money is the reason why a team like Norwich will ever finish in the top 3 again.[/quote]

disagree... the law should be that you can sign as many foreign players as u want.. but only 3 can play in a match day squad. the are still being hired/paid and no laws are being Broken. they are maybe bending the rules but theres nothing illegal about having them in the squad and not using them.. that happens even now.

British players shoud be allowed... Meaning Grant can play 8 Scotsmen in the squad and 3 Foreginers (Colin, Etuhu, Safri) every week if he really wanted.

they used to do this in europe.. and shouldn''t of scrapped the law for the champions league

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Rethinking the future"]The authorities are cautious about introducing such a rule as it would almost certainly be seen as unlawful due to restriction of trade. Such a rule would also affect Norwich quite badly. If you look at our current squad, a lot come from Scotland, Ireland and Wales which are all seen by the football authorities as separate countries due to them having their own seat on the football executive. The reason each country has their own seat was originally to give England more power in decisions. There is a problem with the lack of English footballers in the premiership which is one reason why we will struggle to ever win a major tournament, but the sad fact is that tv money is the reason why a team like Norwich will ever finish in the top 3 again.[/quote]

disagree... the law should be that you can sign as many foreign players as u want.. but only 3 can play in a match day squad. the are still being hired/paid and no laws are being Broken. they are maybe bending the rules but theres nothing illegal about having them in the squad and not using them.. that happens even now.

British players shoud be allowed... Meaning Grant can play 8 Scotsmen in the squad and 3 Foreginers (Colin, Etuhu, Safri) every week if he really wanted.

they used to do this in europe.. and shouldn''t of scrapped the law for the champions league

jas :)

[/quote]

except Doherty is Irish so we couldn''t then play him. also don''t forget the scots want independance which would narrow our area even further.

i think you should be allowed to play as many foreign plyers as you ike. it makes the game more entertaining as you get the best players playing as opposed to the british players. if the british players are good enough they will play, i know the argument is that if u have a limit on foreigners that can play that will improve the standard of the brits but i believe it will lower the standard of the league games short and lnog term, so no i do not think tere should be a limit

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

[/quote]

What I find amazingly unbelievable about this post Cluck......... is ...................................................

I agree with everything you say!!!!!!!

Well, except the birch.............. maybe! [;)]

Oh..... and its three whole paragraphs without one criticism of Delia!

[/quote]

Nooooooooooooooooooo Nutty. It can''t be true............[:)]

The "birch" was mentioned just to lower the tone of my post....and if I could have fitted Delia in there somewhere NN....you know I would have done don''t you?..........[;)]